Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Old 10-16-13, 03:09 PM

Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi View Post
I watched Curse of Frankenstein yesterday and really enjoyed it. While it was based on the original story, they still changed things up enough while hitting the points of the original. That's what I wish remakes these days would do, unlike what The Crazies did.
I finally got around to watching Horror of Dracula the other week and thought the exact same thing about it. It was all the same elements, just worked around to make it no so predictable.
Old 10-16-13, 04:29 PM

Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by Russell S View Post
Oh jeez, now I have to track this down! Is the movie at least half decent?
It was okay. Almost a spoof.
It's worth it for the scene. Maybe the scene is on YouTube. The movie is streaming on NetFlix though.
Old 10-16-13, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Maniac (2012) is on Netflix Streaming, when did that happen? http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Ma...?trkid=2361637

I was in a Devil Times Five induced crappy movies slump but Phantasm II rocked me out of it.

I love the Phantasm 1 theme song, and was disappointed to see it doesn't seem to be used again in Phantasm II [it would have been awesome in lossless HD sound]. It looks like the CD soundtrack to Phantasm is going for $50+ on Amazon Marketplace too.

Apparently the Scream "5 Film" set (1-3, + 2 documentaries) has been seen for $9.99 at Target.
Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi View Post
Have we had a theme night for things taking place in a big city like LA or NYC? I saw a few almost back to back that took place in NYC and it was kind of fun comparing the scenery.
I really like the idea of big city horror that even in an impossibly big metropolis no one is safe.

"Urban horror" was a theme night last year (October 1) with subset film Blacula... here's the reference link of urban horror movies: http://www.buried.com/horrormovies/keywords/Urban/1
Originally Posted by cwileyy View Post
Where did you find this [Amityville Horror Trilogy] for $25?
Amityville Horror Trilogy is $35 on Groupon, and there are $10 vouchers people can acquire by referring a friend or sometimes at random so that's one option for cheap AHT. http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-amit...ogy-on-blu-ray

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-16-13 at 06:05 PM.
Old 10-16-13, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Originally Posted by dcrw6 View Post
I finally got around to watching Horror of Dracula the other week and thought the exact same thing about it. It was all the same elements, just worked around to make it no so predictable.
Thanks, I'll have to dig it out.

Originally Posted by Undeadcow View Post
I really like the idea of big city horror that even in an impossibly big metropolis no one is safe.

"Urban horror" was a theme night last year (October 1) with subset film Blacula... here's the reference link of urban horror movies: http://www.buried.com/horrormovies/keywords/Urban/1
The ones I watched were Cult of the Cobra and Central Park Drifter: Graveyard Shift. Then there was a touch of Jason Takes Manhattan from the Crystal Lake Memories doc. I know Manhattan only had a few shots in New York but they all had enough outdoor shots downtown to give them the same feeling.

Last edited by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi; 10-16-13 at 06:18 PM.
Old 10-16-13, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn

All the Boys Love Mandy Lane lived up to the hype.

Evil Dead did not. (and that supposed ED4/AOD2 script damn well better come to fruition due to its success).

After The Wolfman I've lost all faith that the studios are capable of producing effects that don't look like they've crawled out of a video game.

I continue having trouble eating seafood of any kind after last week's viewing of The Bay.

Every year I mistakenly revisit a forgettable film for the second time and Nude for Satan was this year's mistake (English dub was a hoot). Almost made the same mistake 10 minutes into Terror (why are Crown International flicks so godawful unbearable?)

Giallo is further proof that Argento needs to consider retirement.

The Hole proves that Joe Dante needs to make more films, and Dick Miller needs longer cameos.

Resolution was the biggest surprise of the challenge so far.

Tonight it's The Man Who Haunted Himself and House of Seven Corpses.
Old 10-16-13, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Chad View Post
After The Wolfman I've lost all faith that the studios are capable of producing effects that don't look like they've crawled out of a video game.

Giallo is further proof that Argento needs to consider retirement.
It's funny that The Wolfman had Rick Baker doing practical effects (he even won an Oscar for them) but most of what he did was replaced with CGI... brilliant move.

I'm an admitted Argento apologist but I have to point out that the production of Giallo was a disaster from the start and he had little control over what was going on and was essentially a director for hire and a name to slap on the poster at the end of the day.
Old 10-16-13, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Every year I mistakenly revisit a forgettable film for the second time and Nude for Satan was this year's mistake (English dub was a hoot).
But it's worth seeing again for that lock-jawed lead actor!
Old 10-16-13, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've been extremely busy the last couple of days, so I know I'm late but congrats to our trivia winner and condolences to asianxcore.

Originally Posted by brainee View Post
Just watched the Maniac remake. Having avoided reviews, it took about 15 minutes before it dawned on me: "Holy crap ... the whole movie is going to be shot in the killer's point-of-view". So there's this, the 40s noire "Lady in the Lake", and Gaspar Noe's "Enter the Void". Any other total POV features?
I thought about Dark Passage, but then I remembered the whole movie doesn't stay in his POV.
Old 10-16-13, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Haven't watched too many flicks this year, but I did get to see Goblin in concert last night in Denver. Really terrific show. Apparently it's the first time they've ever toured the United States. Not sure how many shows they're doing, but if you get the chance to see them, I highly recommend it.
Old 10-16-13, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by pacaway View Post
It was okay. Almost a spoof.
It's worth it for the scene. Maybe the scene is on YouTube. The movie is streaming on NetFlix though.
Thanks for the info. I'm not seeing the clip on youtube and since streaming isn't an option for me, I'll probably just pick it up at some point if I can get it cheap.

Regarding Giallo, I've had a copy for I think two years and I just can't seem to get the desire to watch it. I can't remember the last time he made a good film. Although I have a strange desire to see Dracula 3D just for laughs.
Old 10-16-13, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by indiephantom View Post
I did a big run of Children of the Corn sequels for last year's challenge, and this was one of the minor perks along the way. Watts, too.
I'm doing that run right now. I'm on 5, stories have been sucking, but I did enjoy the kid in part 5 and a nice little panty ass shot when Eva Mendez jumps into the fire.

Last edited by jacob_b; 10-16-13 at 09:44 PM.
Old 10-16-13, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brainee View Post
Though that's part of the "found footage" subgenre (where the movie is from the POV of a camera held by a character). In "Maniac" (and the other movies I mentioned), the movie is as if the camera were the main character's eyes. The only time you actually see Wood is when he sees his reflection or is dreaming (with a short exception at the end).
The segment in V/H/S/2 is a little of both though right?

The POV is essentially from the character's eyes because the camera is literally inside of the character's eye socket. You only see him when he's looking at reflections of himself (at the Doctor's Office Mirror or at home).

Isn't there a scene in the Maniac remake where:

Spoiler:
You see Wood's character from atop? It's the scene where he kills that woman in the parking lot
Old 10-16-13, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Greg MacGuffin View Post
Haven't watched too many flicks this year, but I did get to see Goblin in concert last night in Denver. Really terrific show. Apparently it's the first time they've ever toured the United States. Not sure how many shows they're doing, but if you get the chance to see them, I highly recommend it.
use it as a 'Wild Card'
Old 10-16-13, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link View Post
I made it to the Abbott and Costello films last night with Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (06/15/1948). It's amazing how the A&C franchise took the now stale monsters and made them good again. With Frankenstein, Dracula (Bela Lugosi), and The Wolf Man (Lon Chaney, Jr.) it's a longer, better film than either House of Frankenstein or House of Dracula and treats the horror characters with dignity.
Spoiler:
The "appearance" of The Invisible Man at the end is just icing on the cake!

If you're a fan of the "classic" Universal horror figures and haven't yet seen this film you *really* need to get a copy for viewing.

It was almost 3 years before Universal made another Horror film. It's Abbott and Costello meet The Invisible Man (03/07/1951) and I'll be watching it tonight. I can hardly wait!

I love those films. Will be viewing them sometime this week.
Old 10-16-13, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anyone hit 100 yet that's active on these boards? I think I might have had I not got distracted waiting for the Dodgers to get out of the playoffs and then just needed to stop watching films and do something.
Old 10-16-13, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by jacob_b View Post
Anyone hit 100 yet that's active on these boards? I think I might have had I not got distracted waiting for the Dodgers to get out of the playoffs and then just needed to stop watching films and do something.
I just had a quick look through the lists and shellebelle's last entry was #99, so she might've hit 100 by now. I only looked for people with more than me and apparently this is the top 3:

shellebelle - 99
PCBreakdown - 93
mightysparks - 89

Only had time for 2 movies yesterday due to getting crappy shifts at my new job and being forced to stay back an extra hour all the time. I worked from 9am-6pm yesterday, and I've got 7am-2pm today (so I'm up at 5am today. Woo). I have a job interview for another [better] job soon, so fingers crossed for that.
Old 10-16-13, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I watched Fulci's Zombie for the first time tonight and really enjoyed it. It doesn't seem to get the love or respect that Dawn of the Dead gets, but it's every bit as good if not better as far as I'm concerned.
Old 10-16-13, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by jmsmath View Post
I watched Fulci's Zombie for the first time tonight and really enjoyed it. It doesn't seem to get the love or respect that Dawn of the Dead gets, but it's every bit as good if not better as far as I'm concerned.
yes, if not for the fact that Zombie beats Dawn by a landslide by featuring a zombie munching on a live shark...
Old 10-17-13, 12:05 AM

Weird bit of timing. Apparently, there's a real attraction called the Bates Motel and Haunted Hayride. It seems that two separate slashers were filmed there and both were released recently. There's The Bates Haunting, which is the lower budgeted of the two, and another called Hallow's Eve which has Tiffany Shepis and Danielle Harris. I somehow ended up watching both of them during the challenge and made for a weird case of deja vu. It didn't help that I saw trailers for them on Xbox video a month apart and had thought that they were the same movie, just that it might have had to change its name because of copyright or something. Neither are particularly good but at least Hallows' Eve had eye candy and laughably ridiculous kills.
Old 10-17-13, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Last Night

Tonight
Old 10-17-13, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hit my goal of 31! Looks like I should be able to get around 50-60. I've done 100 a couple of times, but that's too much of a grind for me to probably do again. At least with a demanding full-time job, and me liking to take some breaks to do other things with my leisure time besides watch horror movies.

Just watched the guerrilla fantasy/horror Disneyworld movie "Escape from Tomorrow". And if anyone saw it and can tell me what the hell was going on I'd appreciate it
Old 10-17-13, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by Russell S View Post
Thanks for the info. I'm not seeing the clip on youtube and since streaming isn't an option for me, I'll probably just pick it up at some point if I can get it cheap.

Regarding Giallo, I've had a copy for I think two years and I just can't seem to get the desire to watch it. I can't remember the last time he made a good film. Although I have a strange desire to see Dracula 3D just for laughs.
That's right. YouTube likely wouldn't host it because of the nudity.
Old 10-17-13, 05:38 AM

You know, The Thing (2011) is growing on me! I liked it way better this second time I watched it. I think it has something to do with having watched it so soon after The Thing From Another World instead of the 1982 movie.
Old 10-17-13, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

All the Boys Love Mandy Lane lived up to the hype.

Evil Dead did not. (and that supposed ED4/AOD2 script damn well better come to fruition due to its success).
Agree on both counts.
Old 10-17-13, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I cracked open one of those Mill Creek 12-packs yesterday. Yikes. I managed to get through 3 of the movies, but it was a battle. Just a terrible day movie day. I'll finish the set eventually, but I definitely can't marathon my way through it. I watched A Brush With Death, Angst (2003) and The Chambermaid. I'd say A Brush With Death was the lesser of the evils. A bad movie, but not the worst thing I'd ever seen. Angst, on the other hand was pretty terrible. It is the story of a woman whose vagina kills people. To satisfy her hunger, she ends up starting a career as a prostitute. Had there been some gore, it might have been decent.

Last edited by EdTheRipper; 10-17-13 at 07:06 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.