Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Old 10-16-13, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by pacaway
Trivia question: (no prize. Just for fun). I just watched a movie that featured "boob'o'lanterns". Any guesses what the movie was?
Answer:

Spoiler:
The Caretaker (2008)

Now, my quest to know if it really works!
Old 10-16-13, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Well I'm continuing the tradition of equipment failures every horror challenge. Last night my dogs spilled my drink all over my laptop ruining it.
Old 10-16-13, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Well I'm continuing the tradition of equipment failures every horror challenge. Last night my dogs spilled my drink all over my laptop ruining it.
You can replace the dogs for free at the kennel... Just sayin'
Old 10-16-13, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Highlights for the first half:

1. American Mary
2. Frankenstein's Army
3. Suck
4. Halloween H2O
Old 10-16-13, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Whether or not you view Buried as a horror, I thought it was quite interesting how well it was lit, only using a lighter and cell phone. These two devices threw of very different colours and sometimes were both on at the same time creating some very beautiful shots.

Also, allmovie labels this movie as being from Spain. Imdb lists Spain as one of the countries and Barcelona as the filming location. Does this movie count as Nation of origin: Spain?
Old 10-16-13, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Watched the Maniac remake.

Damn Frodo.
Old 10-16-13, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Last night, I got together with friends, and we watched the Hammer film Scream of Fear and a Canadian film called End of the Line (2007). I really enjoyed the first film which was a compelling psychological horror piece about a young woman in a wheelchair who suspects that her father is dead despite the assurances of those around her. The film creates this oppressive atmosphere that is odd since it takes place in a bright villa in France. As a bonus, you get Christopher Lee as a psychiatrist!

End of the Line is about people working their way through a subway station and trying to escape the members of a religious cult bent on saving as many people as they can with daggers and swords. While I appreciate some of the ideas the film brings up, this type of "slash 'em up" horror is not really for me. Also, I hate jump-scares, and the first twenty minutes of this film contain a ridiculous number of them.
Old 10-16-13, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I watched Curse of Frankenstein yesterday and really enjoyed it. While it was based on the original story, they still changed things up enough while hitting the points of the original. That's what I wish remakes these days would do, unlike what The Crazies did.

I also finished my bonus disc of Crystal Lake Memories. I was so disappointed to learn that we almost had a classic slasher for Freddy vs Jason and instead got a campy action movie. I'm fine with the replacement of Jason with the exception of one detail. While it's fine they went with a skinnier guy, like the beginning of the series had, it's his head that bothers me. It was never that skinny and it makes the mask look like it's too big for him and there's too much hair for someone that's been as dead as long as him and been through what he's been through.

Last night I started Cursed. I've had it for years and had no clue Wes Craven directed it. I'm almost finished with it and it seems hit and miss to me. I like it but there's just something missing from it that I can't put my finger on. Maybe it's that a repeat viewing won't be fun but I think it's at least something else.
Old 10-16-13, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
There's some speculation that Best But might discontinue it's upgrade and save program with it's dwindling physical media section and lack of u&s announcement this quarter.
In my area they had discontinued the promotion long ago. Figures the one time that I go in there to trade something in after advertising it, is when they discontinue the program.
Old 10-16-13, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mightysparks
Bleh, I just watched Sick Boy as it turned up on some killer/evil child list and it sounded like it could be interesting but it was a piece of poo. And it also isn't really a killer/evil child film. The acting was so bad and the characters were just stupid and annoying. Nothing happened until the last 20 minutes and aside from the end-concept possibly being a cool little twist, it not only made no sense but the build-up was so crappy I didn't even care.
the director is a frequent poster on Upcominghorrormovies.com
Old 10-16-13, 12:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I watched one of my personal favorites, Deadly Blessing for last night's theme. I've always been a big fan of that one, so it was a pleasant surprise to discover a few years back that it was actually filmed just outside of Waxahachie, which is in my neighboring country. Looking forward to getting back into things after a nasty sinus infection has kept my viewings at a minimum the last few days.

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
End of the Line is about people working their way through a subway station and trying to escape the members of a religious cult bent on saving as many people as they can with daggers and swords.
My first ever subset pick. A little rough around the edges, but I love it.
Old 10-16-13, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I hadn't watched any eps of Ghost Hunters yet this month, so I started today with one on SyFy.
Old 10-16-13, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

Amityville Horror Trilogy on Blu-Ray worth a blind buy at $24.99? (Have only seen the first one)
Old 10-16-13, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Amityville Horror Trilogy on Blu-Ray worth a blind buy at $24.99? (Have only seen the first one)
I watched the third one about a month ago and won't be watching it again. Don't remember the second. If the second was any good, I'd bite, otherwise I'd just pick up the first for $7 at Wal-Mart.
Old 10-16-13, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

At $25 I'd get the Amityville Trilogy, the second one is a lot of sleazy fun and well worth seeing being a highlight of the franchise. The third one is a slower dated style one but I found the ending memorable and after several years am curious to revisit it.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-16-13 at 01:11 PM.
Old 10-16-13, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
What did you think of the remake?
Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
Watched the Maniac remake.

Damn Frodo.
Mini-review on my list. I thought it was pretty good, though clearly not for everyone. And the POV gimmick will annoy some (though I thought it worked well). The role isn't completely out of left field for Wood, since he's played creepy characters in "Sin City" and "Eternal Sunshine". And he fits the role well here, since he's supposed to an unassuming, regular-looking guy. That was a problem I had with the original movie - there's no way Caroline Munro would get within a hundred yards of Joe Spinell's character.

The movie really captured the grime of NYC well. And I loved the score ... very early 80s sounding (without coming across as hokey).

Originally Posted by asianxcore
I know it's not a feature length, but 'Phase I Clinical Trial' on V/H/S/2 is shot entirely POV.
Though that's part of the "found footage" subgenre (where the movie is from the POV of a camera held by a character). In "Maniac" (and the other movies I mentioned), the movie is as if the camera were the main character's eyes. The only time you actually see Wood is when he sees his reflection or is dreaming (with a short exception at the end).

End of the Line is about people working their way through a subway station and trying to escape the members of a religious cult bent on saving as many people as they can with daggers and swords. While I appreciate some of the ideas the film brings up, this type of "slash 'em up" horror is not really for me.
The major twist really made the move for me:
Spoiler:
similar to "Servants of Twilight", you find out that the cult was right all along.

Also, I hate jump-scares, and the first twenty minutes of this film contain a ridiculous number of them.
I've turned off movies because of overuse of jump scares. Really annoying. I see them as a crutch for filmmakers not talented enough to generate genuine scares. A movie I recently saw for the challenge, "Silent Hill: Revelation" had one of the most laughable jump scares I've seen ...
Spoiler:
from a damn pop-tart jumping out of the toaster (in 3D, of course)

Last edited by brainee; 10-16-13 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10-16-13, 01:14 PM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Where did you find this for $25?

Week 2 was pretty slow for me, but I'm hoping things will pick up after work today.

So far, my top 5 of the challenge are:
-Peeping Tom
-Eyes Without a Face
-Frankenweenie
-Demons
-Night of the Demons
Old 10-16-13, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by brainee
Mini-review on my list. I thought it was pretty good, though clearly not for everyone. And the POV gimmick will annoy some (though I thought it worked well). The role isn't completely out of left field for Wood, since he's played creepy characters in "Sin City" and "Eternal Sunshine". And he fits the role well here, since he's supposed to an assuming, regular-looking guy. That was a problem I had with the original movie - there's no way Caroline Munro would get within a hundred yards of Joe Spinell's character.

The movie really captured the grime of NYC well. And I loved the score ... very early 80s sounding (without coming across as hokey).

I thought it was better than the original just for that fact.

The re-make was set in LA though!
Old 10-16-13, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
At $25 I'd get the Amityville Trilogy, the second one is a lot of sleazy fun and well worth seeing being a highlight of the franchise. The third one is a slower dated style one but I found the ending memorable and after several years am curious to revisit it.
I liked the made for tv one with Patty Duke that was about someone buying a possessed lamp at a garage sale. It was so silly but more enjoyable than the third and I wish they'd come out with a complete collection. I'd buy that in a heartbeat.
Old 10-16-13, 01:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by indiephantom
I did a big run of Children of the Corn sequels for last year's challenge, and this was one of the minor perks along the way. Watts, too.
Sure. You take all the minor perks you can get once you get that far into that series.

Originally Posted by pacaway
Answer:

Spoiler:
The Caretaker (2008)

Now, my quest to know if it really works!
Oh jeez, now I have to track this down! Is the movie at least half decent?
Old 10-16-13, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Have we had a theme night for things taking place in a big city like LA or NYC? I saw a few almost back to back that took place in NYC and it was kind of fun comparing the scenery.
Old 10-16-13, 01:18 PM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

That was a problem I had with the original movie - there's no way Caroline Munro would get within a hundred yards of Joe Spinell's character.[/SPOILER]
I definitely agree with you here. I found it pretty funny to see Joe Spinelli play it so smooth.
Old 10-16-13, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

That explains my confusion when the boyfriend announced he was leaving town ... to go to New York It really did seem like a NYC-located movie in a lot of shots.
Old 10-16-13, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That explains my confusion when the boyfriend announced he was leaving town ... to go to New York It really did seem like a NYC-located movie in a lot of shots.
I honestly had to check that it WASN'T NYC while watching it. I thought it was NYC too.
Old 10-16-13, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

I made it to the Abbott and Costello films last night with Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (06/15/1948). It's amazing how the A&C franchise took the now stale monsters and made them good again. With Frankenstein, Dracula (Bela Lugosi), and The Wolf Man (Lon Chaney, Jr.) it's a longer, better film than either House of Frankenstein or House of Dracula and treats the horror characters with dignity.
Spoiler:
The "appearance" of The Invisible Man at the end is just icing on the cake!

If you're a fan of the "classic" Universal horror figures and haven't yet seen this film you *really* need to get a copy for viewing.

It was almost 3 years before Universal made another Horror film. It's Abbott and Costello meet The Invisible Man (03/07/1951) and I'll be watching it tonight. I can hardly wait!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.