Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Old 10-26-13, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

I may not meet my goal this year, but I just set a personal record of a sort. This is my fourth year participating in the Challenge, and I've just watched the most movies in one day that I've ever watched. It may seem like weak sauce to some, but knocking out seven films in one day is crazy good for me.

Now if I can just remember enough about them to do a short writeup for each....
Old 10-26-13, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Yesterday was beer makeup day:

And today I was I miss Japan day:
Old 10-27-13, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Kudos to whoever suggested the home invasion there; that's a "good" topic. I'm planning first time viewings of The Collector / The Collection.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-27-13 at 12:45 AM.
Old 10-27-13, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just saw Frankenstein's Army. Very cool creature design and story idea. Hate the "found footage" style. It works for some kinds of movies, but absolutely not here. Wish they just shot it "normally". It just doesn't look like a movie shot in WW2, the camerawork is impossible (keeping a film camera rolling while being chased by robot-monsters), and the movie has a musical score (I just find it idiotic when "found footage" movies do that).
Old 10-27-13, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched Jug Face today. A Hillbilly horror featuring moonshine and the Hillbillies making sacrifices to a demonic mud hole. An incestuous pregnancy is the linchpin of the entire story. Not a great movie, though it does have an unrecognizable Sean Young in it.
Old 10-27-13, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
I watched Jug Face today. A Hillbilly horror featuring moonshine and the Hillbillies making sacrifices to a demonic mud hole. An incestuous pregnancy is the linchpin of the entire story. Not a great movie, though it does have an unrecognizable Sean Young in it.
Crap ... that's not something like Kelly McGillis in The Innkeepers, is it? When someone you remember being really hot when you were younger looks unrecognizably old. Which makes me feel old and depressed

It's not so bad when actors age gradually, but sometimes they seem to do it all at once. Malcolm McDowell is another example of that. He looked 25-30 from the late 60s to the mid 80s. Then BAM ... he aged to looking 60+ practically overnight. Though he's kind of looked the same now for the last 25 years.
Old 10-27-13, 07:30 AM

Got back from the all-nighter at 8am but was too tired to do anything and decided to sleep for a few hours. Here's a write-up of the films I saw:

143. Soulmate (2013) 5/10
It started off ok, and then it just seemed to never end. Obviously inspired by The Ghost and Muir (which the director admitted to afterwards), even the ghost dude reminded me of Rex Harrison in the film, but without the charm. I didn't read anything about the films before attending, and the director introduced it as a slow-burn ghost story, but I didn't realise it was more of a romance film than a horror. The plot and script play out like some typical woman's fantasy, in this case; she is the only person who has been able to see him or hear him in over 30 years and because of her presence he slowly gains 'realness' and they can touch and they're the only people who understand each other and he creepily watches her sleep (see the mirrors to Twilight?). The script was also pretty crappy and awkward and the best scenes were the ones with no dialogue. Anywho, there were some decent bits and the lead actress' and dude's performances were ok for the most part, but laughable acting from the two supporting characters didn't help.

144. Patrick (2013) 5/10
The original film was pretty boring, but this just plays out like a really generic slasher film. The CGI was fecking terrible and made my eyes bleed. Seriously painful stuff. Charles Dance was great (is he ever not?), Sharni Vinson and Rachel Griffiths were ok. I felt like it didn't know what tone it was going for and the funny bits were funny, but the serious bits were annoying and nothing anyone did made any sense. I also didn't really get the point of casting a more attractive Patrick this time around coz the original dude was creepy as balls. Also, afterwards I was standing in the lobby near Sharni Vinson and I accidentally bumped into and touched her butt

145. Hexen bis aufs Blut gequšlt (1970) 6/10
The director went on and on beforehand about how extreme and important this film was regarding violence and whatnot and then it was just cheap trash. But funny cheap trash, hence why I enjoyed it. It wasn't very good, but I thought it was pretty damn funny and it kept me watching. The violence was not even extreme and I'm not sure why people chucked a spaz about it.

146. Discopathe (2013) 4/10
It really got the 70s feel and look right and the soundtrack was good, but it just made no sense. The kills were cool, but too few and far apart. I thought the lead was really good, but the directing and plot were just a mess. It felt purposely cheesy, but it wasn't quite done well enough to be funny or entertaining and it was just kinda boring.

147. Blutgletscher (2013) 5/10
A rip-off of The Thing. I thought the concept was cool, but the shaky-cam prevented me from seeing any of the damn monsters, so that was annoying. Unlike The Thing, it doesn't really build tension or make you care much about the characters. Except that damn dog. So many times I was holding back tears and I was also really tired at this point making it really difficult.

148. Nothing Left to Fear (2013) 5/10
This was the one I was most looking forward to and I kinda enjoyed it, but it didn't really ever grip me. The characters were all annoyingly peppy (although I did like this as a change from the teens being moody and rebellious), and the lead was decent at holding the film, but not great. The effects weren't great, though kinda creepy at times since it didn't just flash and leave, but stayed for a few seconds. Overall it didn't really offer anything new and played out more or less as you'd expect, although I liked that they stuck to the concept and didn't chicken out (though it didn't make much sense and reminded me of Cabin in the Woods). I was also falling asleep at one point and then a fake-out scare made me jump
Old 10-27-13, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Gobear View Post
I'm just doing a marathon of sequels today.
Originally Posted by indiephantom View Post
This is what I'm working through; and mostly loving it.
That's what I did as well. Got through Scream 2 and Scream 3 because I want to watch Scream 4, but ironically I didn't get to watch 4.
Then I watched Psycho III. I've seen it several times.
Also watched the F13 Part III Blu-ray in 3D with the little cardboard glasses. I know people should hate it because it was made in the "look at me! I'm in 3D!" days of popcorn and TV antennas in your face, but it kind of worked for this movie. I was not disappointed anyway. It was a first time viewing for me.
Finally, I got partway through FVJ before leaving to see the Flames beat the Capitols 5-2, and was too tired after that to watch the rest. I'll have to finish it today.

Originally Posted by Chad View Post
For anyone who's procrastinated on getting the Halloween 35th Ann Blu-ray Digibook like me, I'd buy it soon. Many stores have already started carrying the regular keepcase; at least that's been my experience. Picked up the one of the last remaining copies at Best Buy.
Please someone comment on the quality of this transfer. Have they corrected the color pallet issues of the previous couple of releases? I don't want to fork out $25 (the price here in Canada for some reason) to buy this for the 3rd time if they haven't.

Originally Posted by brainee View Post
Just saw Frankenstein's Army. Very cool creature design and story idea. Hate the "found footage" style. It works for some kinds of movies, but absolutely not here. Wish they just shot it "normally". It just doesn't look like a movie shot in WW2, the camerawork is impossible (keeping a film camera rolling while being chased by robot-monsters), and the movie has a musical score (I just find it idiotic when "found footage" movies do that).
I just didn't like the way they spent too much time talking to the camera. OK! We get it! There one of you carrying the camera! Now stop talking to him!
Old 10-27-13, 09:07 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Chad, can we get an official alternate subset selection for today? The choice, In Their Skin, isn't on Netflix, Prime, YouTube, or any other legal streaming site that I can find; isn't available at Redbox; and I can't find it in stores either.
Originally Posted by Undeadcow View Post
Kudos to whoever suggested the home invasion there; that's a "good" topic. I'm planning first time viewings of The Collector / The Collection.
I woke up at 0200 to pee and checked my email, reading this. Home invasion stuck in my brain and I couldn't fall back asleep or open my eyes, convinced that a masked intruder was standing over my bed.
Old 10-27-13, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Winding down another year of the challenge. A few more days left to get in another few movies. Time to break out with the Universal classics, probably tomorrow to beef up my score. All of my entries have been from either my personal DVD/Bluray collection or from TV.
Old 10-27-13, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Chad, can we get an official alternate subset selection for today? The choice, In Their Skin, isn't on Netflix, Prime, YouTube, or any other legal streaming site that I can find; isn't available at Redbox; and I can't find it in stores either.
You can watch In Their Skin here.
Old 10-27-13, 11:40 AM

After watching V/H/S, I've finally realized why I dislike found footage movies so much. I really don't want to watch your home movies, so why would I enjoy movies that are basically the same concept, even with the horror involved.
Old 10-27-13, 12:18 PM

Thanks, looks pretty shady though, opens up all kinds of crap on my iPad.
Old 10-27-13, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just caved and bought it on Amazon Instant. I couldn't bare it to be the only subset I didn't watch on the designated day. And I didn't plan ahead so was in the same boat as you. Luckily I enjoyed the film enough to not feel ripped off. Good blind-buy.
Old 10-27-13, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent View Post
I just caved and bought it on Amazon Instant. I couldn't bare it to be the only subset I didn't watch on the designated day. And I didn't plan ahead so was in the same boat as you. Luckily I enjoyed the film enough to not feel ripped off. Good blind-buy.
I would have rented it for a few bucks, but I hate to spend more than that on digital content. But, wink wink, since we're brothers and share Amazon accounts, nudge nudge, I'll watch it later.
Old 10-27-13, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Weighing in on the SWEENY TODD discussion.

I saw the original Broadway production twice, once with the original cast (Len Cariou, Angela Lansbury) and once with the replacement cast (George Hearn, Dorothy Loudon). I though Cariou was by far the better Todd and Loudon the better Mrs Lovett. I though Lansbury did her standard Lansbury sweet old lady thing, while Loudon was scheming and sardonic. With Louden you knew she was manipulative from the beginning and that made the character more effective.

I was also one of the people disappointed in the movie. I though Depp was a good Todd, but didn't like Carter as Mrs Lovett, particularly because she talked her songs softly instead of singing them. Sondheim specifically wrote the show as a play for singers because he felt in the past that he had to compromise on the music for some of his earlier plays because he had to write songs for singer/dancers.

The biggest disappointment for, though is that a key number "The Ballad of Sweeny Todd" was omitted. It was filmed and featured Christopher Lee, but wasn't included as an extra on the DVD or BlueRay. This is like staging THE THREE PENNY OPERA and omitting "The Ballad of Mack the Knife".

I kept thinking that if SWEENY TODD had been successful, then as a follow-up we might have gotten Sondheim's ASSASSINS with Depp as John Wilkes Booth. I think that would have been great.
Old 10-27-13, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Definitely won't make 100, since I'm not even at 50 yet, but this last week, I plan to hit it hard and finish as strong as I can.
Old 10-27-13, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brainee View Post
Crap ... that's not something like Kelly McGillis in The Innkeepers, is it? When someone you remember being really hot when you were younger looks unrecognizably old. Which makes me feel old and depressed
It's exactly like that realization. Sean Young was once a beautiful woman and here she plays an ugly hillbilly. Until I watched the extra features I had no idea she was in the movie.
Originally Posted by pacaway View Post
Please someone comment on the quality of this transfer. Have they corrected the color pallet issues of the previous couple of releases? I don't want to fork out $25 (the price here in Canada for some reason) to buy this for the 3rd time if they haven't.
You can safely purchase it. Dean Cundey approved this new transfer's color timing. It has a beautiful, new film transfer that can be seen in the screen caps:

http://www.doblu.com/2013/10/04/hall...lu-ray-review/
Old 10-27-13, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn

One final reminder that the latest trivia question ends tonight:

Spoiler:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post

The Trivia Question Part 2

Answer 2 of the following 3 questions:

1. What did the town of Crystal Lake change it's name to in Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives?

2. While under contract at Universal, how many horror films did Bela Lugosi appear in?

3. A young Tara Reid appears in which Larry Cohen film?

Submit your answers to me via PM or email (one entry per person).

You're playing for TLA Cult Prize of Your Choice:

Spoiler:

Courtesy of...

Contest runs through Sunday.

Thanks, looks pretty shady though, opens up all kinds of crap on my iPad.
It's also streaming here and appears to be safe and virus free based on reviews.
Old 10-27-13, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
You can safely purchase it. Dean Cundey approved this new transfer's color timing. It has a beautiful, new film transfer that can be seen in the screen caps:

http://www.doblu.com/2013/10/04/hall...lu-ray-review/
Thanks.

Ok, I may just be jaded after 26 days of horror movies, but the 2006 version of When a Stranger Calls is just WAY too PG13!
Old 10-27-13, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Doc Moonlight View Post
Weighing in on the SWEENY TODD discussion... I was also one of the people disappointed in the movie. I though Depp was a good Todd, but didn't like Carter as Mrs Lovett, particularly because she talked her songs softly instead of singing them. Sondheim specifically wrote the show as a play for singers because he felt in the past that he had to compromise on the music for some of his earlier plays because he had to write songs for singer/dancers.
That would be a bit disappointing, yes. I quite liked it, because it seemed like a deliberate choice (rather than, say, Ms. B-C being wary of singing...!) for the character. A decision borne of her being somewhat laconic and detached, and maybe even slightly meta-aware that random outbreaks of actual singing is decidedly odd.

The biggest disappointment for, though is that a key number "The Ballad of Sweeny Todd" was omitted. It was filmed and featured Christopher Lee, but wasn't included as an extra on the DVD or BlueRay.
I was disappointed there were no excerpted songs as extras, but somehow missed that there were entirely cut songs that were missed off too. Now I'm disappointed..!

I kept thinking that if SWEENY TODD had been successful, then as a follow-up we might have gotten Sondheim's ASSASSINS with Depp as John Wilkes Booth. I think that would have been great.
Barely heard of it, but I agree. Maybe at some point...
Old 10-27-13, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Been away from this thread for too long

Have been busy dealing with my close friends' passing, getting slammed with midterms & papers and working on my Halloween costume for Thursday.

Hopefully will sneak in a couple films today!
Old 10-27-13, 03:28 PM

I hit movie 100 yesterday with The Thompsons. I don't know why but all of my movie-watching milestones are very unspectacular. I've only been watching one or two a day for a while so I was surprised I made it to that much. My record's at 114 so I think I'll try to beat that. It'd be a nice capper since I would like to hope next year I'll be working and won't have the time to go the full 100 again. But with my luck I could end up a paraplegic living in a van down by the river for all I know next year so who knows.
Old 10-27-13, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Took a break from watching movies so far today to watch some football. A local restaurant holds a contest every football week and picks 3 games, if you guess the winner and the score of the game you win a $100 gift card. Today's early game was Dallas-Detroit... I said 31-30 Dallas, it was 31-30 Detroit... I think it is time to watch more movies.
Old 10-27-13, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This was the first year that I incorporated some Treehouse of Horror episodes into the mix, aside from the new one. It has been a lot of fun to revisit them! Some of them I hadn't seen in year. I just finished the 10th one. I'm trying to think if there were any other Simpsons episodes in the first 11 seasons (those are the ones I have on DVD) that could possibly fall into horror. The only one I can come up with as a possibility is the Cape Fear parody.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.