Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Third Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2013

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Third Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2013

Old 11-01-13, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: The Third Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2013

Originally Posted by Trevor
I've watched a couple horror comedy titles since dusk. I'm not the only one who's started I hope. 100+ horror films was exhausting. I'm ready for some straight comedy, and I'm sure my wife is too.
While I was going to watch some horror comedy with my horror themed Three Stooges, I was too exhausted last night, so just watched one Three Stooges short on youtube in bed on my ipod.
Old 11-01-13, 08:28 AM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Re: The Third Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2013

100+ horror films was exhausting. I'm ready for some straight comedy, and I'm sure my wife is too.
Yes. I spent the majority of my first straight comedy movie waiting for the first person to be gruesomely murdered.
Old 11-01-13, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 648 Likes on 470 Posts

I've watched a couple horror comedy titles since dusk. I'm not the only one who's started I hope. 100+ horror films was exhausting. I'm ready for some straight comedy, and I'm sure my wife is too.
Just one: The Fearless Vampire Killers. A first viewing *and* from the unopened pile AND it counts for both challenges! I really didn't find all that much humor in the film although it *was* mostly done tongue-in-cheek mode but IMDB lists it as Comedy/Horror so it's going on the list.

The official unopened comedy pile gets used tonight!
Old 11-01-13, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Was busy with "chores" tonight, so I only managed to squeeze in the first episode of Up Pompeii (Frankie Howerd). One of my goals for this challenge will be to watch at least the first series, there's only two more beyond the first Up Pompeii II and Further Up Pompeii, so I think I've got a good chance of finishing the whole shebang. There's only 15 episodes total so I think it's a very good chance.

Hopefull I can get in 85 more tv/movies to make my goal of 100.
Old 11-02-13, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I "officially" started with Roger Corman's Creature from the Haunted Sea after discovering my early start title, Fearless Vampire Killers, couldn't count for the theme night check since I'd watched it Halloween night. I'd purchased a copy of the Legend Films BW/Color version and it was unopened so at least I wasn't digging into the collection! I accidentaly discovered it qualified while looking for another comedy/horror film to watch which made me very glad I'd not opened and watched it in October as I almost did.

That was followed by Jui kuen II (aka Drunken Master II or The Legend of Drunken Master), a film I first saw *years* ago when my son was still at home and we got on a Jackie Chan kick (we watched the original on VHS - not the US edit). I finally found and purchased a fairly inexpensive good quality WS copy of the original cut (with subtitles). It was nice to finally be able to watch it that way again. It's one of my favorite Jackie Chan films.

Went to sleep after a few episodes of On the Buses. I did a blind buy on that one a few months back and was in the middle of series 4 when the Horror Challenge started. I picked up where I'd left off. I really can't decide how much I like this one. It's somewhat standard "2 guys who work together and concentrate mostly on chasing skirts" type affair with the "standard" live-at-home sister and her somewhat overly-critical snob of a husband. It's not that it's "bad" but it's not really grown on me yet and still feels somewhat disposable. It has Stephen Lewis who played "Smiler" on Last of the Summer Wine so it's interesting to see him in another, although not *too* dissimilar, role. Video quality is very good although many episodes which *should* be in color are BW due to the way the series was handled over the years.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 11-02-13 at 09:24 AM.
Old 11-02-13, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Watched a couple episodes of Vandread last night and this morning I just finished a Three Stooges short on YouTube.
Old 11-02-13, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I "officially" started with Roger Corman's Creature from the Haunted Sea after discovering my early start title, Fearless Vampire Killers, couldn't count for the theme night check since I'd watched it Halloween night. I'd purchased a copy of the Legend Films BW/Color version and it was unopened so at least I wasn't digging into the collection! I accidentaly discovered it qualified while looking for another comedy/horror film to watch which made me very glad I'd not opened and watched it in October as I almost did.
You didn't have to do that. I consider the early start part of the first day (even though I list it separately on my list). Yeah, I guess I should've put Oct 31 along with Nov 1 on the theme night list in case people wanted a day off or something. Sorry about that.

I didn't watch any comedy stuff last night. I was busy clearing stuff off the DVR. I'll probably try to watch one theme night flick each night and keep at the DVR for the next week or so. then try to get serious about working through my unwatched DVDs.
Old 11-02-13, 04:27 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

I have a question on the checklist. Best Defense (a movie starring Dudley Moore and Eddie Murphy) is listed as Comedy/War on IMDB. Does this qualify for the Comedy movie that also fits the Historical challenge?
Old 11-02-13, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Question: does an 'unrated' version DVD of a movie that was rated at the theatre count as a post-code unrated item?
Old 11-02-13, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Watched my formerly unwatched HDDVD of Nacho Libre for my Movember choice. I think it counts since Jack Black sports a 'stache through the whole film. It was also a first time viewing for me. Nice to get that off the unwatched pile. It definitely had its humorous moments. I think I laughed the most at the baptism scene.
Old 11-02-13, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by orlmac
I have a question on the checklist. Best Defense (a movie starring Dudley Moore and Eddie Murphy) is listed as Comedy/War on IMDB. Does this qualify for the Comedy movie that also fits the Historical challenge?
I'd say yes as films with War listed as a genre are automatic in the Historical Challenge.
Old 11-02-13, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd say yes as films with War listed as a genre are automatic in the Historical Challenge.

That might be something to bring up next historical challenge as unless the genres changed, I believe Meet the Spartans has war listed and I could never see that being used for the historical challenge.

On another note the three stooges set I ordered was different than what I got. Peril of Amazon's used marketplace I guess, so I reordered it new from Amazon along with another stooges set, used but this time from gohastings through Amazon. A company I never had trouble with. At least the item I got is something I can enjoy, a documentary on the history of the Stooges.
Old 11-03-13, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

A Night at the Opera for Movember for me. I can't quite remember if I've seen it before - bits seem familiar and the rest completely un-familiar, so I'm assuming that it's the influence and clips I'm remembering. I was particularly amused - strange things amuse me sometimes - when one of the brothers plays the piano, and the music sounds suspiciously like "Dreaming Away," a song (re-)used in Singin' in the Rain...!
Old 11-03-13, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Snuck in a second Movember title... Smokey and the Bandid. I guess movies we haven't seen in 35 years, even if we don't remember anything about them, still don't count as FTVs?
Old 11-03-13, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Tried watching Anchorman yesterday, but even though I love Will Ferrell movies, for some reason I just couldn't get into it.
Old 11-03-13, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I didn't watch anything yesterday. I ended up falling asleep early.
Originally Posted by orlmac
I thought they had to be set in the past or had to take place during an actual war.
Originally Posted by shadokitty
That might be something to bring up next historical challenge as unless the genres changed, I believe Meet the Spartans has war listed and I could never see that being used for the historical challenge.
And I'd say Meet the Spartans would count for the Historical Challenge.
Originally Posted by pacaway
Question: does an 'unrated' version DVD of a movie that was rated at the theatre count as a post-code unrated item?
I'm not sure how other challenges have counted unrated versions of films, but it's okay by me if you want to count it that way.
Snuck in a second Movember title... Smokey and the Bandid. I guess movies we haven't seen in 35 years, even if we don't remember anything about them, still don't count as FTVs?
I'll leave that up to the individual. Personally, if I know I've seen a film I don't fully remember, or feel at least 50% sure I've seen it sometime in the past, I count it as a re-watch.
Old 11-03-13, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just watched my first movie of the challenge and also a first time view, Frankenhooker. Won it a year or two ago on the sci fi challenge and just found it behind a dresser last month. Great movie I have to say.
Old 11-03-13, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I just watched my first movie of the challenge and also a first time view, Frankenhooker. Won it a year or two ago on the sci fi challenge and just found it behind a dresser last month. Great movie I have to say.
If I keep hearing people as how good that movie is, I'm going to end up popping the $25 for it at HMV. Is it $25 'great'?
Old 11-03-13, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dimension X
I thought they had to be set in the past or had to take place during an actual war.
There was (I think) a bit of discussion about the "war" genre. Early on Travis said:
Straight westerns and war/military movies are all fine, as they were the genesis of this challenge. Excluded would be something like Wild Wild West or Tropic Thunder.
I took this as generally meaning a "war" or "military" genre tag being a green flag for inclusion unless it fell into a zeitgeist realm or has a SF and/or Fantasy genre tag.

That challenge is the worst for "what counts" discussions and seems to have drama every year.

For the checklist on the Comedy Challange I'd say err on the side of permissivness.
Old 11-03-13, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dimension X
You didn't have to do that. I consider the early start part of the first day (even though I list it separately on my list). Yeah, I guess I should've put Oct 31 along with Nov 1 on the theme night list in case people wanted a day off or something. Sorry about that.
It's no problem. I'd have probably done that anyway even with more clarification. Basically OCD about it *must* be watched on the "correct" day.

After only 3 days I'm finding myself watching a film and going "Arrrggghhh!! I could have used that one later for a theme night!" Anyone else falling into that trap? I've already had at least 2 of those!
Old 11-03-13, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 234 Posts

It's no problem. I'd have probably done that anyway even with more clarification. Basically OCD about it *must* be watched on the "correct" day.

After only 3 days I'm finding myself watching a film and going "Arrrggghhh!! I could have used that one later for a theme night!" Anyone else falling into that trap? I've already had at least 2 of those!
Yes! I wasn't fully committed to the checklist and theme nights but have started them, so we'll see how it goes. It certainly takes a great deal of work. I'll start to watch something and I have to scan down both lists since I might want to hang on to it until later.
Old 11-03-13, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a question about Foreign/ethnic theme night. Would movies like Paul, Shaun of the Dead, etc. work or how about The Dictator or Coming To America where the lead actor/actors portray foreigners or a certain ethnicity?
Old 11-03-13, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Clayman32
I had a question about Foreign/ethnic theme night. Would movies like Paul, Shaun of the Dead, etc. work or how about The Dictator or Coming To America where the lead actor/actors portray foreigners or a certain ethnicity?
I dropped "ethnic comedy" night this year. Foreign comedies (today's theme) would just be any comedies made in a country other than the one you are in right now (preferably with stars from that other country speaking their native language).
Old 11-03-13, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If I keep hearing people as how good that movie is, I'm going to end up popping the $25 for it at HMV. Is it $25 'great'?
Don't know if I'd spend $25 on it, but then I wouldn't spend $25 on any single movie anyways.
Old 11-04-13, 05:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Here's some GP, M & NC-17 rated films!

You could check off three ratings for Two Mules For Sister Sara - GP, M & PG according to IMDb.

Some M Rated Comedies
Ace High (1968)
The April Fools (1969)
Arabella (1967)
The Assassination Bureau (1969)
The Bed Sitting Room (1969)
Better A Widow (1968)
The Bliss Of Mrs. Blossom (1968)
Buona Sera, Mrs. Campbell (1968)
Cactus Flower (1969)
The Comic (1969)
Danger: Diabolik (1968)
The Day The Hot Line Got Hot (1968)
Decline And Fall... Of A Birdwatcher (1968)
The Devil By The Tail (1969)
Diamonds For Breakfast (1968)
Don't Take God's Children For Wild Geese (1968)
A Fine Pair (1968)
The First Time (1969)
A Flea In Her Ear (1968)
Gaily, Gaily (1969)
Generation (1969)
The Girl With A Pistol (1968)
The Girl Who Couldn't Say No (1968)
The Good Guys And The Bad Guys (1969)
The Great Bank Robbery (1969)
How To Commit Marriage (1969)
If It's Tuesday, This Must Be Belgium (1969)
Live A Little, Love A Little (1968)
The Love God? (1969)
The Magic Christian (1969)
Marry Me! Marry Me! (1968)
Me, Natalie (1969)
Midas Run (1969)
The Milky Way (1969)
The Monitors (1969)
A Nice Girl Like Me (1969)
The Night They Raided Minsky's (1968)
The Only Game In Town (1970)
Otley (1968)
Out Of It (1969)
Paint Your Wagon (1969)
The Prime Of Miss Jean Brodie (1969)
The Reivers (1969)
Relax Freddie (1966)
Sam Whiskey (1969)
The Secret Of Santa Vittoria (1969)
Skidoo (1968)
Ski Fever (1966)
Some Kind Of A Nut (1969)
Sophie's Place (1969)
The Southern Star (1969)
Start The Revolution Without Me (1970)
The Sterile Cuckoo (1969)
Take The Money And Run (1969)
The Trygon Factor (1966)
Two Mules For Sister Sara (1970)
The Wrecking Crew (1968)

Some GP Rated Comedies
Arthur! Arthur! (1969)
Bananas (1971)
The Bear And The Doll (1970)
Bed & Board (1970)
Beware! The Blob (1972)
Bless The Beasts & Children (1971)
Bunny O'Hare (1971)
Cactus In The Snow (1971)
Carry On Henry VIII (1971)
Catlow (1971)
The Cheyenne Social Club (1970)
The Christian Licorice Store (1971)
Cold Turkey (1971)
The Cowboys (1972)
Flap (1970)
Fools' Parade (1971)
The Gang That Couldn't Shoot Straight (1971)
Gas! -Or- It Became Necessary to Destroy the World in Order to Save It. (1970)
Harold And Maude (1971)
Hello-Goodbye (1970)
Hoffman (1970)
The Hot Rock (1972)
How Do I Love Thee? (1970)
Husbands (1970)
Kotch (1971)
Lola (1970)
Made For Each Other (1971)
Minnie And Moskowitz (1971)
The Moonshine War (1970)
One More Time (1970)
Paddy (1970)
Plaza Suite (1971)
The Priest's Wife (1970)
The Private Life Of Sherlock Holmes (1970)
A Professional Gun (1968)
The Projectionist (1971)
Say Hello To Yesterday (1971)
Serafino (1968)
Skin Game (1971)
Slogan (1969)
Smic Smac Smoc (1971)
Suppose They Gave A War And Nobody Came? (1970)
A Talent For Loving (1969)
Tell Me That You Love Me, Junie Moon (1970)
To Find A Man (1972)
Togetherness (1970)
A Ton Of Grass Goes To Pot (1972)
The Twelve Chairs (1970)
Two Mules For Sister Sara (1970)
Who Is Harry Kellerman And Why Is He Saying Those Terrible Things About Me? (1971)
You Can't Win 'Em All (1970)
Zachariah (1971)

Some NC-17 Rated Comedies
The Canterbury Tales (1972)
Dead & Breakfast (2004)
Dice Rules (1991)
Flesh Gordon Meets The Cosmic Cheerleaders (1990)
Hangover (1973)
Happiness (1998)
Inserts (1974)
Psycho Sisters (1998)
The Secret Sex Lives Of Romeo And Juliet (1969)
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (1990)
Whipped (2000)
Wild At Heart (1990)
Your Friends & Neighbors (1998)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.