Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like The 9th Annual Holiday Challenge (11/25 - 1/1)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like The 9th Annual Holiday Challenge (11/25 - 1/1)

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-13, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts
Re: It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like The 9th Annual Holiday Challenge (11/25 - 1/1)

I got through 4 episodes of the MST3K Turkey Day Marathon. I had it paused for a few hours while I did some running around and the event ended as I was starting The Final Sacrifice. They showed old Turkey Day bumpers and Joel introduced each segment with a quiz to guess which one it was.

There were six episodes total:
Space Mutiny
I Accuse My Parents
Werewolf
Cave Dwellers
The Final Sacrifice

Does anyone know what the final ep was?
Old 11-29-13, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like The 9th Annual Holiday Challenge (11/25 - 1/1)

Knowing that you can never be sure of being able to catch something on tv when it is aired and not having a DVR, I just caught Christmas in Yellowstone on YouTube. I figure if I do catch it on tv, I have no problems watching it again.
Old 11-29-13, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

I watched my first holiday film last night - Jingle All the Way. I'm shooting for a couple more this evening. There's A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving from the unwatched pile and Christmas In July (1940) airing on TCM later tonight. I don't think I've ever seen Christmas In July before and am looking forward to the viewing.
Old 11-29-13, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

I looked through the thread and didn't see a link, so here is a comprehensive list of holiday shows for 2013.
Old 11-29-13, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I had a steady start. I've watched "Holiday Inn," "Charlie Brown Christmas" and "A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving." Oh, and "It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas." Watching that last one makes me feel that they just recycled the idea for the Muppet movie a couple years ago. I know the theater was always in danger of closing, but I really hope the new one coming out has a different plot!

I'm hoping to get a good dent in my Christmas movies this year. They're a weakness-bad, cheesy and sappy feel good holiday movies-so I have quite a few...
Old 11-30-13, 09:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am watching the Lady Gaga & The Muppets' Holiday Spectacular... and I don't know what I am watching or why I still am.

It seems like they had the idea for a Muppets special and a Lady Gaga special and someone at ABC decided it would be best to mash them together into one 90 minute special.
Old 11-30-13, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Corey31
I am watching the Lady Gaga & The Muppets' Holiday Spectacular... and I don't know what I am watching or why I still am.

It seems like they had the idea for a Muppets special and a Lady Gaga special and someone at ABC decided it would be best to mash them together into one 90 minute special.
She's had Muppet related clothing before, so I'm sure they already had the prior relationship and this was inevitable. Especially when someone is pimping out their new album.
Old 11-30-13, 09:47 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

No four time winner for me this year. I've watched exactly two items so far this year, still have all my Christmas DVDs and CDs buried in storage, and have started a massive home reorganization project that will take up most of my spare time next month.

I'll still get in a show or two a day in with the family off of the DVR. The Disney Channel holiday episodes always float my boat. Last nights combo show Good Luck Jessie was great.

Happy belated Thanksgiving fellow Challengers! Hope you survived Black Friday with some $ left over.
Old 11-30-13, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by LJG765
I had a steady start. I've watched "Holiday Inn," "Charlie Brown Christmas" and "A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving." Oh, and "It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas." Watching that last one makes me feel that they just recycled the idea for the Muppet movie a couple years ago. I know the theater was always in danger of closing, but I really hope the new one coming out has a different plot!

I'm hoping to get a good dent in my Christmas movies this year. They're a weakness-bad, cheesy and sappy feel good holiday movies-so I have quite a few...
My start has been rather weak but I'll get going later today after I finally complete the Comedy Challenge Checklist!

I've purchased more new stuff... again (imagine that)...

Some of it was based on recommendations/reviews and others just because they were rather inexpensive.

I purchased a "set" I'd looked at last year but put off - a 4 movie "Holiday Collection" from Mill Creek with:

The Christmas Story Lady (1991)
A Star Shall Rise (1952)
Beyond Tomorrow (1940)
Scrooge (1935)

I got it mainly for Scrooge but the other earlier films sounded OK as well. Not sure about The Christmas Story Lady as it's a made-for-TV affair and I've typically never been too impressed with those.

I also picked up copies of:

The Bells of St. Mary's (1945) - a favorite I put off purchasing for too long.
Four Christmases (Sounded interesting/fun but many modern Christmas films seem to be mainly retreads so...)
Fred Claus (was in a 2 pack with Four Christmases)
Tom and Jerry: A Nutcracker Tale (The grandkids like the "new" T&J stuff so I figured this was good for them - I like the old stuff better)
'Twas the Night Before Christmas (Rankin/Bass - never been a fan of their work - it was in the set with T&J and Polar Express)
The Polar Express (not sure about this one - it looks a bit creepy but I've read good things...)

Those last 5 were purchased mainly because they were cheap (~$7 for the lot), I'd heard of them, and was in a mood to add more Christmas movies to the pile.

Earlier this week (late last week?) I walked through the living room and my wife commented she'd put the TV on some channel to watch Fred Claus but they were running something else - it annoyed her. I had to bite my tongue to not say I had the DVD - not that she'd care if I had the DVD but she'd rather put up with commercials and other broadcast junk rather than take the time to put in a DVD for a better viewing experience. No... we do *not* watch many things together for just that reason.
Old 11-30-13, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

One movie I'd like to get off my unwatched pile this year is The Man Who Saved Christmas. I've had the DVD for a few years. It stars Jason Alexander and is about AC Gilbert and how he built the Gilbert Erector sets during World War 2 for the children in opposition to the govt who wanted his factory converted over to wartime production.
Old 11-30-13, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts

I wish we wpuld have started a week ago. I feel like I am behind with Thanksgiving happening so late.
Old 11-30-13, 05:06 PM

I ended up going to my storage site today for something else; saw that my Christmas boxes weren't as inaccessible as I thought, so I'm unblocking and shelving them now.

Sure enough, I've bought at least three titles this year that I already owned.

Why is Snow Day in my Christmas boxes? I vaguely recall us discussing this title in a past year's thread. Maybe we decided that it takes place during the time frame, but I'm pretty sure that the holidays are barely mentioned.
Old 11-30-13, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
Sure enough, I've bought at least three titles this year that I already owned.
When I do that I always tell myself that a little redundancy doesn't hurt.
Old 11-30-13, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
The Polar Express (not sure about this one - it looks a bit creepy but I've read good things...)
I was hesitant the first time I watched this as well, but it's really not that bad. It takes a minute or two to get used to the effects but it's not a bad story. And if you like trains, it takes place almost entirely on one. I'm not really a Tom Hanks fan, but he's not overwhelming in this even though he is several of the characters. I'd give it a sold 3/5 or even a 3.5/5. Watchable and enjoyable but not a every year watch for me. More like every other year.
Old 12-01-13, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I'll still get in a show or two a day in with the family off of the DVR. The Disney Channel holiday episodes always float my boat. Last nights combo show Good Luck Jessie was great.
My kids don't watch Disney Channel as much as they used to, but I have a fondness for the crossover episodes.

Originally Posted by coyoteblue
Store the copies in different locations for easier access--win!
Old 12-01-13, 12:24 PM

I was hesitant the first time I watched this as well, but it's really not that bad. It takes a minute or two to get used to the effects but it's not a bad story. And if you like trains, it takes place almost entirely on one. I'm not really a Tom Hanks fan, but he's not overwhelming in this even though he is several of the characters. I'd give it a sold 3/5 or even a 3.5/5. Watchable and enjoyable but not a every year watch for me. More like every other year.
Pretty much my exact thoughts on it, perhaps leaning towards the 3.5 or even 3.875. I'm looking forward to opening our 3D version of it this season.
At the prices I usually pay, I guess it doesn't hurt the wallet too much; and it gives me lots of easy gift opportunities.
Originally Posted by davidh777
Store the copies in different locations for easier access--win!
It's funny, or perhaps sad, that you mention this, because I do this.

My film library is geared around obsessively collecting certain subsets: Christmas titles, Criterions, Godzilla, MST3K, 3D titles, and a couple others. Often, these subsets overlap and if I accidentally buy two copies of the same title I'll just store them in each section.
Old 12-01-13, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, I needed a Thanksgiving movie, so I pulled out "Homecoming" (the Waltons one) only to realize it was Christmas, not Thanksgiving, but luckily I had access to the Walton movie box set which had 2 of them. Went with "A Walton Thanksgiving Reunion." It wasn't too bad for a reunion movie, set in the 1960s, the year that JFK was killed, so it was interesting how they showed people's reactions after having such a news presence this year for the anniversary. Very much a feel good, family film, it always brings me back to watching this in reruns as a kid with my parents.
Old 12-02-13, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

I got through 4 episodes of the MST3K Turkey Day Marathon. I had it paused for a few hours while I did some running around and the event ended as I was starting The Final Sacrifice. They showed old Turkey Day bumpers and Joel introduced each segment with a quiz to guess which one it was.

There were six episodes total:
Space Mutiny
I Accuse My Parents
Werewolf
Cave Dwellers
The Final Sacrifice

Does anyone know what the final ep was?
Mitchell
Old 12-02-13, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I've been working all weekend (working in retail sucks!) so I've only gotten a few things in, but I will watch some Christmas movies tomorrow.

I was a bit mad at myself because I didn't want to miss a day at all this year, but I just didn't feel like watching anything holiday related yesterday. Oh, well...
Old 12-03-13, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Gobear
Mitchell
Obvious in retrospect, given the other titles are all high in the list of fan favorites. If they do it again next year, as opposed to it being a 25th anniversary one-time stunt, maybe they'll go with some titles that aren't as well known. Having Mike host would be cool too. Time will tell.
Old 12-03-13, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't know why. Maybe it's the stress of life going on about now as normally I love Christmas movies and specials, but so far I'm finding it hard to get in the right mood to watch stuff for this challenge. I hope that changes soon.
Old 12-03-13, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Woo! I just hit 50!!
Old 12-03-13, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by The Monkees
Woo! I just hit 50!!
And here I thought I was doing well at 16! I need to watch some more TV shows!
Old 12-03-13, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Watched "Hitched for the Holidays" tonight. I thought it was a pretty cute movie. I realized about 20 mins into it, I had watched it before-probably last year-but I still enjoyed it. I admit it, I have a weakness for cheesy, feel good holiday movies frequently shown on the Hallmark Channel! I didn't think that this one was poorly done at all. The actors were all fairly convincing and it wasn't too unrealistic of a plot (two people need dates to get their families off their back for the holidays) and follow through. It also had Marilu Henner in it which is always a plus.
Old 12-04-13, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Watched "Hitched for the Holidays" tonight. I thought it was a pretty cute movie. I realized about 20 mins into it, I had watched it before-probably last year-but I still enjoyed it. I admit it, I have a weakness for cheesy, feel good holiday movies frequently shown on the Hallmark Channel! I didn't think that this one was poorly done at all. The actors were all fairly convincing and it wasn't too unrealistic of a plot (two people need dates to get their families off their back for the holidays) and follow through. It also had Marilu Henner in it which is always a plus.
I too have a weakness for the cheesy feel good holiday movies. Just having trouble getting into them this year.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.