Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-13, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by DoctorWhosScarf
[Chronologising and compiling purchase availability of Hammer Horror films] annoyed me too and I also have a few of the same movie because it also came in a double feature. I bought several of the Anchor Bay double feature releases a few years ago. They were out of print then and weren't cheap. Now they cost even more. I'll post a list of the chronology and then the best way I think you should get them. Do note that there is a Region 2 set which is probably the best way to get all of these, but I'm a Region 1 user hasn't gone region free, so these are all region 1 releases I'll be listing...
Thanks for doing that. I was surprised to see that I already have a good 75% of these. Hurrah for me! Admittedly I have no idea where some of them are, but still...
Old 10-13-13, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by jacob_b
LMFAO!!! Wow that is one cover of a film. I actually semi enjoyed Killjoy. Might have been better if I was stoned. I just figured it was going to be a white kid getting bullied because of the description and cover. Other than that, I've never heard of either of those films mentioned.
Well I watched Kracker Jack'd, and the cover was the best thing about it (and has very little to do with the actual movie). It started out kind of good, with a couple of laughs, but fell apart really quick. I'm not going to say it's worse than Killjoy (because it's been a few years since I saw Killjoy, and I'm not about to subject myself to it again just to compare the pain), but it's at least as bad.
Old 10-13-13, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Wrong Turn 4: Bloody Beginnings (2011) was so bad. 89 minutes of my life I won't be able to get back.
Old 10-13-13, 04:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

up early...starting my day off with this little trilogy:

Old 10-13-13, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

I was thinking of watching Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey. I might consider that a wild card pick. What do you all think? They do go to hell and talk to the devil and travel with the grim reaper. They also have 'evil' robotic twins. Neither site refer to it as horror, but I think it could be considered a horror comedy.
Old 10-13-13, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Couple of checklist questions...

What makes a movie 'psychological'?

What does 'With two or more horror legends' mean? Are we talking actors or characters?
Old 10-13-13, 07:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just watched Child's Play 2 and Child's Play 3 and finally finished up the series. Was never a fan, but I loved Bride as a kid (which I also haven't seen since then).

Hoping to finish up some of these 'big' horror franchises this month/soon-ish. I never liked Halloween, so I've only seen the first 3, but have the others planned for this month as well as the last 2 entries in the Saw series. I also need to get to Hellraiser at some point as I've only seen the first 2 (despite being warned off the later ones, I'm a completionist),
Old 10-13-13, 07:49 AM

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Hmm.. can I count the Vincent Price Pit and Pendulum for "decapitation" because of the imminent threat of same..?
Old 10-13-13, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pacaway
Couple of checklist questions...

What makes a movie 'psychological'?

What does 'With two or more horror legends' mean? Are we talking actors or characters?
Psychological is when the horror aspect of the film messes with the psyche of the characters or viewer. If your mind is being messed with chances are it can be counted.

I'd say horror legends was intended to be 2 actors but I'd say if there are 2 legendary horror characters in it (FVJ or something like that) it would certainly work
Old 10-13-13, 09:45 AM

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by ntnon
Hmm.. can I count the Vincent Price Pit and Pendulum for "decapitation" because of the imminent threat of same..?
My vote would be no, since no one in the film is in any danger of being decapitated. Cut in half, yes; decapitated, no.
Old 10-13-13, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Started my day with my first Blu Ray of the Challenge, Gamera Guardian of the Universe. While the transfer looks pretty nice, I was rather surprised to find the trilogy to be completely bare bones with no extras whatsoever.
Old 10-13-13, 10:06 AM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Next year it'd be fun to do a short film theme day.
Originally Posted by mightysparks
Just watched Child's Play 2 and Child's Play 3 and finally finished up the series. Was never a fan, but I loved Bride as a kid (which I also haven't seen since then)...
I'm doing the same. Child's Play 1 is surprisingly good but the following sequels, especially 2, feel disappointing to me. I think Bride of Chucky is one of the more clever horror follow-ups not afraid the experiment with new things.
Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
up early...starting my day off with this little [Poltergeist] trilogy...
I need to rewatch the Poltergeist movies. My recollection is that II and III were better than the first with their cheesy fun. Vodka worms ftw.
Originally Posted by SethDLH
Psychological is when the horror aspect of the film messes with the psyche of the characters or viewer. If your mind is being messed with chances are it can be counted...
I agree with this but I also struggled to define "psychological horror" because the point of horror is to mess with psyche. Wikipedia says "Psychological horror films differ from the traditional horror film, where the source of the fear is typically something material ...[or] gore and graphic violence, in that tension is built through atmosphere, eerie sounds and exploitation of the viewer's and the character's psychological fears." For my list I'm looking for something that is primarily focused on an individual character questionable frame of reference or neurosis. I think Repulsion is the movie that best defines psychological horror but will probably go with Stendhal Syndrome (to check giallo, Asia/Dario Argento items).
Old 10-13-13, 10:33 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
was it any good - the trailer looked pretty interesting.
I really dug Frankenstein's Army. Some outrageous creatures and manic action. I also discovered it through the trailer. The pre-order price was $10.96, so I had to give it a try.
Old 10-13-13, 11:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Somewhat related to Frankenstein's Army; before the screening at FrightFest, the director asked the audience to pretend we were zombies and took a picture. I drew an arrow pointing to me:

Spoiler:

Also, speaking of Chucky earlier, we were given masks prior to the screening of Curse of Chucky and asked to put them on for a photo:

Spoiler:
Old 10-13-13, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jacob_b
Watching Killjoy as it's short and in my Puppetmaster collection and it's not the movie I was expecting. Was not expecting this to be an urban film and was thinking of some white goofy looking nerd gets beat up and comes back to seek revenge as a clown.
If anyone ever wants to get into Killjoy, they're better off starting with the third one. You won't miss a thing and it's where the series takes a turn for the better.

I had a large Killjoy figure on display in my theater room for years until I got around to watching the films. After watching the first one, which is what the figure is based on, I took it down and refuse to put it back up.

Originally Posted by pacaway
I was thinking of watching Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey. I might consider that a wild card pick. What do you all think? They do go to hell and talk to the devil and travel with the grim reaper. They also have 'evil' robotic twins. Neither site refer to it as horror, but I think it could be considered a horror comedy.
It's not horror at all but it's easy to come up with a description and try to word it so it seems like it could be horror though

While it may have things that could be interpreted as horror, it's not at all the intent of the film, nor is it how any of the parts play out.
Old 10-13-13, 11:46 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If there's an explosion in the movie, there's an explosion in the trailer.

New season of The Walking Dead starts tonight!
Old 10-13-13, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not sure why I put myself through Declan O'Brien shit. 'Wrong Turn 5: Bloodlines' was an improvement over the previous film, but not by much.

Doug Bradley was a completely wasted character in that film and the film's best plot devices are taken from 'Attack On Precinct 13' (1976).

There is some good gore in it, but that's about it.
Old 10-13-13, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by walletboyniac
If there's an explosion in the movie, there's an explosion in the trailer.
When I saw Joe Dante years ago, he was talking about when he started out cutting trailers for Roger Corman, and Corman told him to make sure he did that. He said after a while, he just started putting explosions in the trailers even if there wasn't one in the movie.
Old 10-13-13, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
I'm not sure why I put myself through Declan O'Brien shit. 'Wrong Turn 5: Bloodlines' was an improvement over the previous film, but not by much.

Doug Bradley was a completely wasted character in that film and the film's best plot devices are taken from 'Attack On Precinct 13' (1976).

There is some good gore in it, but that's about it.
I found Wrong Turn 5 as probably the best entry in the franchise, but this is coming from someone that loathes the entire franchise. It has to be the worst horror series to get that many sequels. Aside from casting Eliza Dushku in the first one, what has it done right?
Old 10-13-13, 02:43 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I found Wrong Turn 5 as probably the best entry in the franchise, but this is coming from someone that loathes the entire franchise. It has to be the worst horror series to get that many sequels. Aside from casting Eliza Dushku in the first one, what has it done right?
Hyperbole there PS? Because if not, I have to ask, why keep watching them?
Old 10-13-13, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
If anyone ever wants to get into Killjoy, they're better off starting with the third one. You won't miss a thing and it's where the series takes a turn for the better.

I had a large Killjoy figure on display in my theater room for years until I got around to watching the films. After watching the first one, which is what the figure is based on, I took it down and refuse to put it back up.
HA I don't blame you about the figure and you are right, part 3 was actually semi entertaining. Wish there was some shed shown with the girl who was single (love Snow White skin) especially since it was NR, so that was a bit of a disappointment. Kind of want to see the last installment if I can find it for free.

Today is a Puppetmaster marathon for the theme. Should be a good day with The Walking Dead coming back.
Old 10-13-13, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

'From Beyond' (1986) is so good! Glad I decided to re-watch it for this challenge.
Old 10-13-13, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm doing a bit of a different take for the Evil Doll theme today... Watching Living Doll where a man brings home a corpse and dresses it up like it's alive and it "talks" to him and tells him to kill.
Old 10-13-13, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SethDLH
I'm doing a bit of a different take for the Evil Doll theme today... Watching Living Doll where a man brings home a corpse and dresses it up like it's alive and it "talks" to him and tells him to kill.
Awesome film! Mondo Macabro did a fine job releasing that onto DVD!
Old 10-13-13, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Continue discussion in PART 3!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.