Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-13, 06:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

I keep a detailed spreadsheet of all my viewings, I hit 4000 last week with The Night Stalker, I think. Meh.
Old 10-11-13, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

i'll be enjoying AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON tonight! one of my top 10 favorite movies.
Old 10-11-13, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
i'll be enjoying AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON tonight! one of my top 10 favorite movies.
Agreed. Already did my annual watch of it last week but I could watch it over and over again.
Old 10-11-13, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
I bought it last year, but never got around to watching it. Agreed that it is a great movie though.
Old 10-11-13, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I bought it last year, but never got around to watching it. Agreed that it is a great movie though.
Just was watching it without having planned to because I did check it out for the 2009 challenge. Couldn't help but get hooked again.

Last night I dug this little buried treasure up for theme night. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2IGFCFqGb0

Chad, I thought since next year is the tenth anniversary of the challenge, it might be cool to vote on everyone's favorite theme nights from the past challenges and maybe include the top ten (or five) in next year's challenge. There have been so many great ones. I know we've talked about not repeating, but it seems like it would be fun to see how that broke down even if we didn't use it.
Old 10-11-13, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by malazar
The Burning in particular was really enjoyable since it had a fun cast of varied characters who seemed more fleshed out and likable/pitiable than most slasher movies I have seen.
If you notice, Jason Alexander never took his shirt off, even when he went into the water. The one time he was just about to take it off, he was stopped at the last minute.

In one of the scenes where he's wet, you can see the edge of his back through the shirt and it's basically the equivalent of looking at the back of a gorilla.

And that's what I notice every time I watch this movie. I forget it every time I go in but that's just the crap I notice each time.
Old 10-11-13, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Took a different tack for my first viewing of the day, in order to avoid burnout. I decided to try some real life horror and watched Zodiac for the first time on the Sundance Channel. I have to say it was a great movie.
Old 10-11-13, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

I watched Eyes of Fire for the subset challenge and thought it was pretty good, I'll post more in the discussion thread for that film.

I followed that with The Girl Next Door and good god what a kick to the gut that film was. Just a difficult viewing experience. A horrific portrayal of abuse, conformity, and degradation. I didn't think any film would make me tear up this month, but I was in pretty bad shape by the end of the movie, it just left me feeling completely drained. I'm drinking my coffee this morning and still trying to shake the movie from my thoughts.

The fact that the movie was based on real events from the 60s makes it much more horrible. Interestingly enough it didn't actually feature much graphic violence, most of it was implied, but I still found the movie to be highly affecting. I'm glad it's horror comedy night because I need something much lighter to follow that.
Old 10-11-13, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
I watched Eyes of Fire for the subset challenge and thought it was pretty good, I'll post more in the discussion thread for that film.

I followed that with The Girl Next Door and good god what a kick to the gut that film was. Just a difficult viewing experience. A horrific portrayal of abuse, conformity, and degradation. I didn't think any film would make me tear up this month, but I was in pretty bad shape by the end of the movie, it just left me feeling completely drained. I'm drinking my coffee this morning and still trying to shake the movie from my thoughts.

The fact that the movie was based on real events from the 60s makes it much more horrible. Interestingly enough it didn't actually feature much graphic violence, most of it was implied, but I still found the movie to be highly affecting. I'm glad it's horror comedy night because I need something much lighter to follow that.
If you listen to the commentary, they describe a different ending they were originally going to do. I kind of want to know what it is but don't want to watch again and I haven't been able to find what it is on the internet, last time I checked.
Old 10-11-13, 11:39 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Russell S
I've gotta say, reading through the posts I'm surprised at how much hate ATM gets. I watched it last year and liked it (except for the end).
I thought the end was the best part! I did not see it coming.
Old 10-11-13, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Today's subset move counts for checklist check Nation of Origin: Spain
Old 10-11-13, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Comedy horror is a great theme night idea and well placed near the middle to prevent "horror fatigue." I tried to watch Terror Firmer last night but wasn't finding it as amusing as I'd hoped so am going to go for Severance.
Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
...The Girl Next Door and good god what a kick to the gut that film was. Just a difficult viewing experience...
The Girl Next Door (2007) is one brutal film. It's worth experiencing because it is so unrelenting but having seen it I don't think I'd be able to subject myself to it again. I wonder if The Lost (2007), also by novelist Jack Ketchum, is as severe.
Originally Posted by walletboyniac
I thought the end [of ATM] was the best part! I did not see it coming.
I agree about enjoying ATM's ending, despite it being an otherwise poor film. The end added a lot of potential and helped me understand after being unable to suspend disbelief for so much of the film to the point it would have benefited the film to add in earlier.
Old 10-11-13, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Didn't get in any films yesterday (and today looks doubtful). However, I did watch some "Treehouse of Horror" episodes when I got home from work. I love The Simpsons; they really help me decompress. My favorite segment was "Midnight Cafeteria" from season six's episode.
Old 10-11-13, 12:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by walletboyniac
I thought the end was the best part! I did not see it coming.
Meh. To each his own. I didn't care for it.
Old 10-11-13, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
If you listen to the commentary, they describe a different ending they were originally going to do. I kind of want to know what it is but don't want to watch again and I haven't been able to find what it is on the internet, last time I checked.
It would be interesting to see what they had in mind, but yeah, I'm not in a rush to watch it again either. Well done movie though, I'm glad I watched it. I wanted to watch at least one kick-in-the-gut movie this month and The Girl Next Door certainly succeeded.

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
The Girl Next Door (2007) is one brutal film. It's worth experiencing because it is so unrelenting but having seen it I don't think I'd be able to subject myself to it again. I wonder if The Lost (2007), also by novelist Jack Ketchum, is as severe.
There's also The Woman (2011) which is a Lucky McKee(May) film based on a Jack Ketchum novel. It's about a domineering lawyer who captures a feral woman and tries to "civilize" her, forcing his family to assist. It's not as disturbing as The Girl Next Door, but it's definitely high in the discomfort factor. I think the more disturbing elements are actually how he treats the women in his family. You can stream it on Netflix if you're interested.
Old 10-11-13, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For my birthday yesterday, I figured I'd take it easy and spend time with my son so I only watched one movie, War of the Satellites. And it had just a small enough touch of horror elements (re-animating the dead and the threat of alien invasion) that I feel only barely comfortable counting it. Even then I might use a wildcard for it. But it was nice to see Dick Miller as the square-jawed main hero for once.
Old 10-11-13, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Watched Happy Birthday To Me on Crackle yesterday. When gathering data for my list I discovered that it is ALSO a Canadian movie! I'm not sure whether it holds up from when I saw it in the 80's or not. It kept me watching to the end without boredom setting in. Any other thoughts on this movie?

Oh yeah, would it qualify for a movie "takes place on a holiday"?
Old 10-11-13, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by indiephantom
Last night I dug this little buried treasure up for theme night. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2IGFCFqGb0
Love that anthology, the pregnant woman story being my favorite. The ending to that tale took me way off guard when I first saw it. Fun fact, the woman in that story is the same girl who falls in the infamous opening scene of Cliffhanger.

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
I wonder if The Lost (2007), also by novelist Jack Ketchum, is as severe.
Not as severe, but I preferred The Lost overall. It's closer in tone to the gritty Red White and Blue, a gem in it's own right.
Old 10-11-13, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by pacaway
Watched Happy Birthday To Me on Crackle yesterday. When gathering data for my list I discovered that it is ALSO a Canadian movie! I'm not sure whether it holds up from when I saw it in the 80's or not. It kept me watching to the end without boredom setting in. Any other thoughts on this movie?
I caught first time viewing of Happy Birthday to Me this year and was blown away by the ending. It had some inventive kills and despite some corny family emeshment subplot and slow segments was really compelling with a good sense of mystery. A lot of the scenes felt atmospheric and dark.
Originally Posted by J. Farley
Not as severe [as The Girl Next Door], but I preferred The Lost overall. It's closer in tone to the gritty Red White and Blue, a gem in it's own right.
Thanks, I am hoping to catch The Lost later this month.
Old 10-11-13, 01:12 PM

I just realised I had 217 posts and 217 is my unlucky number, so I just had to make another post to make sure nothing happens to me :P

To keep on topic; two films so far and both meh WHY IS THIS HAPPENING TO ME. I'm hoping I've got all the best stuff saved up for the end and I'll have a fabulous time in a few weeks, but I doubt it.
Old 10-11-13, 01:39 PM

Haven't been on DVDTalk in awhile, but this challenge is one of the reasons I love to come back. Probably my favorite challenge of the year (though I might look into the B-Movie one now that I saw it in somebody's signature.). Tried the holiday film one once, but it felt a bit torturous and repetitive as it was mostly the same movies I had seen from years past or the same variation of the theme, whereas with the horror film challenge there is much more variety (or can be) from film to film (plus it's one of my favorite genres).

Anyhow, I'll try to post my list a little later. Still compiling it on computer. Haven't been able to keep up or watch as many as I would have liked this year. School, Work, Cat being sick, etc. have eaten up a lot of my time, but I'm still getting in a decent number. I'm still hoping to pull off 50 films this year. A 100 is a bit on the steep side for me any year and just seems a bit overblown/overkill, but I'm sure if I could accomplish this feat I'd probably say otherwise.

Anyhow, the main reason I wrote this long post - outside of applauding those partaking in the festivities, posting, and recommending films - is to see what you guys think of the film Buried with Ryan Reynolds from a few years back. Wikipedia has it as a psychological-survival thriller and I'm not really sure whether it outright qualifies as a horror film or is right there on the cusp of being one. I'm hoping someone else might be able to link to post from years past discussing this film or provide some clarity as to its status.

Edit: Hehe, only 6 more posts until 666
Old 10-11-13, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hiccup
Anyhow, the main reason I wrote this long post - outside of applauding those partaking in the festivities, posting, and recommending films - is to see what you guys think of the film Buried with Ryan Reynolds from a few years back. Wikipedia has it as a psychological-survival thriller and I'm not really sure whether it outright qualifies as a horror film or is right there on the cusp of being one. I'm hoping someone else might be able to link to post from years past discussing this film or provide some clarity as to its status.

Buried should work as a horror film for the challenge. In fact, it was one of the subset choices from last year, here's the discussion thread for it but beware spoilers:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews...-day-14-a.html

I thought Buried was effective, claustrophobic, and intense. I like movies set in a single location that can keep your interest for the entire run time, I thought it was pretty well done.
Old 10-11-13, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by indiephantom

That's a great movie that I wish was on dvd. Thanks for pointing out that it's on Youtube. There's another movie called Into the Badlands with Bruce Dern that makes for good double-feature with that. I didn't even know it was a horror movie until I started watching it. Only recently found out it's on dvd too.
Old 10-11-13, 03:45 PM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by hiccup
Haven't been on DVDTalk in awhile, but this challenge is one of the reasons I love to come back. Probably my favorite challenge of the year (though I might look into the B-Movie one now that I saw it in somebody's signature.).
You should definitely do the B-Movie Challenge. It shares a lot of the same sensibilities as this one, and comes at the off-season from the Horror Challenge. Many of the same participants too. I didn't do it last year and really missed it.

Congrats! Perfect time of year for it.
Old 10-11-13, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by J. Farley
Love that anthology, the pregnant woman story being my favorite. The ending to that tale took me way off guard when I first saw it. Fun fact, the woman in that story is the same girl who falls in the infamous opening scene of Cliffhanger.

Not as severe, but I preferred The Lost overall. It's closer in tone to the gritty Red White and Blue, a gem in it's own right.
Good stuff.

Well, I hope this post takes. I've tried twice unsuccesfully to update my list today and haven't been able to. Hopefully this is a temporary issue because I've lots to update.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.