Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Old 10-10-13, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

It's good to see Scream Factory picking up the slack with high definition horror releases and offering those daily sales to boot. I'm excited to see Synapse Films (Demons, Prom Night, Curtains), Severin (House on Straw Hill, Patrick, Strange Behavior), Grindhouse Releasing (Corruption, Pieces), Scorpion (Tower of Evil, Monster Club, etc), and Blue Underground (Maniac Cop 2-3, Argento hinted) also elevating their release schedules. Fingers crossed on Code Red (Just Before Dawn, etc) too.

...with so much activity I'm surprised to see Synapse Films and Mondo Macabra didn't return as horror challenge prize sponsors (and no new takers); as cool of them as it was to contribute in the past.
Old 10-10-13, 03:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

I've gotta say, reading through the posts I'm surprised at how much hate ATM gets. I watched it last year and liked it (except for the end). It wasn't perfect, but I thought it was decent enough.

Some other apparently unpopular opinions:
I liked Texas Chainsaw 3D.
I LOVED You're Next
I loved the Evil Dead remake almost as much as the original.
I thought Excision was just okay.
Old 10-10-13, 03:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought ATM was decent too. I thought Excision was just ok (was mostly saved by the ending). Evil Dead remake was watchable, but doesn't hold a candle to the original and is not amazing as a stand alone film either; totally forgettable.

Anyway, started the day with The Manitou which I thought was ok. Graham Masterton is my favourite author, but I haven't read the book. This was then followed up with Brotherhood of the Wolf which I found utterly dull. And then My Little Eye which was boring as well, with uninteresting characters and it didn't feel natural enough to work with the format. Then La sindrome di Stendhal which was pointless. Then Undead or Alive which was just stupid and unfunny, becoming watchable only due to James Denton being attractive. And then FINALLY, I watched Manhunter which was a very good thriller. I'm not sure why I put it off for so long, but it was a nice end to the day.

I have my first training shift at my new job tomorrow, only a 5 hour shift, but this will be the beginning of a decline in film watching, so I'm happy that I managed to get over the halfway point already. I was worried I'd barely be able to make it to 50 this month, but Manhunter was #57. So I think I'm on track for hitting 100, and possibly finishing the watchlist I made (had a little over 130 titles in it).

Last edited by mightysparks; 10-10-13 at 04:01 PM.
Old 10-10-13, 04:25 PM

I'll definitely keep the mixed opinions in mind, at least I'd be seeing them free (due to codes etc.) so I wouldn't lose money and there are people on here to discuss it with why I like or don't like it. These mixed opinions are making me want to see what I think. It just depends if I can fit it in with the movies that are a priority to me and my mood at the time. Thanks again for all the feedback.
Old 10-10-13, 04:32 PM

Today's subset film Eyes of Fire (1983) was a good selection. I'm looking forward to seeing what more people think of it.
Old 10-10-13, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone see the Civil War zombie flick, Exit Humanity? I was thinking about it as it fits today's theme, but clocks in at almost 2 hours. Tough for a work/week night.
Old 10-10-13, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
Anyone see the Civil War zombie flick, Exit Humanity? I was thinking about it as it fits today's theme, but clocks in at almost 2 hours. Tough for a work/week night.
I wasn't a fan. I thought it was boring and drawn out. That said, I know a lot of people dig it.
Old 10-10-13, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by SethDLH
Really??? Likeable? I thought just about everyone in the cast was incredibly unlikeable except the dog. And the main girl? She was a shitty heroin addict who didn't want any help from the friends that where trying to give it to her (while bitching about it). But I don't think I've had an easier time rooting against someone than I did the main girl from the ED remake in a long long time.
She started bitching after things started going wrong, though. Sure, she may have flipped out over time (most druggies do) but that wasn't the problem. Once she came out of it, she made a pretty bad ass hero for the end.

As for the ones saying watch ATM...really? Josh Peck was easily one of the most hated actors I've seen in a movie. I couldn't stand his character at all.

And TCM3D is at like a 19% with critics.
Old 10-10-13, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 414 Likes on 299 Posts

My thoughts from the last few days. Havent watched John Carpenter's Vampires for a few years, have always liked it as kind of a cross between a western and the Vampire genre. Still pissed i got kicked out of the movie in 1998 for not being 17 going to see it with my brother who wasnt 21 yet. Had to go to another theatre where a friend knew someone who worked there to let us buy tickets. I wish it would come out on Bluray, maybe Mill creek can put it out. Teen wolf has always been one of my favorite 80s movies, but the sequel is terrible. Same exact movie, but its pretty bad that they didnt have the same actors who played Styles and Coach Finnstock. Also just started the Leprechaun movies, more comedy than horror, and I still have three more of them to go.
Old 10-10-13, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

An early reminder to get your answers in for the trivia question. Ends Sunday.

Spoiler:
Originally Posted by Chad

The Trivia Question.

This one's gonna be a variation on what we've done in the past only much easier. All you have to do is NAME 7 MOVIES USED IN THE BANNER. And this is out of roughly 64 images.

For the lazy:

Spoiler:

Hints:
1. A few images aren't taken from film posters.
2. Some films have multiple images (no more than two per film).
3. Occasionally a foreign poster is used.
4. Some images have been slightly altered.
5. There's an image taken from a film not considered horror.
6. At least 3 images are not from any movie.

Everyone that gets at least 7 correct answers will be entered into a drawing and Random.org will decide the outcome.

Submit your answers to me via PM or email (one entry per person).

You're playing for Prize Pack #1:

- Psycho II (Scream Factory Blu-ray w/ slipcover)
- Die Screaming, Marianne (Redemption Blu-ray)
- The Killer Must Kill Again (Mondo Macabre DVD)
- Pure Terror 50 Movie Collection (DVD)
- Hands of the Ripper (Synapse DVD)
- Twins of Evil (Synapse DVD)
- Frankenhooker (Synapse DVD)
- The Driller Killer (Cult Epics DVD)
- A Virgin Among the Living Dead (Wizard Video VHS Collection)
- Tentacles (Midnite Movies VHS)
- The Mammoth Book of Slasher Movies
- Love at First Bite (CD)

Courtesy of...

Contest is open for 1 week.

Good luck.

Old 10-10-13, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wasn't a fan. I thought it was boring and drawn out. That said, I know a lot of people dig it.
Thanks. That's exactly my concern. I can't gamble on boring or drawn out right now. That'll have to wait 'till next month.
Old 10-10-13, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by arw6040
I'll definitely keep the mixed opinions in mind, at least I'd be seeing them free (due to codes etc.) so I wouldn't lose money and there are people on here to discuss it with why I like or don't like it. These mixed opinions are making me want to see what I think. It just depends if I can fit it in with the movies that are a priority to me and my mood at the time. Thanks again for all the feedback.
ATM is here for now
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1t3taKEzIU
Old 10-10-13, 06:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jacob_b
She started bitching after things started going wrong, though. Sure, she may have flipped out over time (most druggies do) but that wasn't the problem. Once she came out of it, she made a pretty bad ass hero for the end.

As for the ones saying watch ATM...really? Josh Peck was easily one of the most hated actors I've seen in a movie. I couldn't stand his character at all.

And TCM3D is at like a 19% with critics.
No offense, but why is it so difficult to understand some people liked ATM? If your opinion is different that's cool, but I like what I like.

And are we really bringing up critics' opinions now? Who cares? They hate 99% of ALL horror!
Old 10-10-13, 10:18 PM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

It has been several days since I last posted. The combination of a cough and being very busy with work hasn't helped my watching this week. Although I rebounded with 4 films the last two days, the prior 3 days I only watched 5 total, leaving me just about on pace for 100 with 31 so far. Rather than list everything I watched since I last posted, I'll just hit a couple highlights and lowlights.

The highlights so far this week have been The Burning, The Faculty, and The Funhouse which were all first time watches for me somehow. I'm sure these are things most people have already seen, but somehow they all passed me by. The Burning in particular was really enjoyable since it had a fun cast of varied characters who seemed more fleshed out and likable/pitiable than most slasher movies I have seen. It was also pretty neat to see a bunch of familiar faces in early roles. Nostalgia may have been a factor in my enjoyment of The Faculty since I was a mid-90s high school graduate myself. It also just seemed like a fresh take on the Invasion of the Body Snatchers motif which has always been one of my favorite concepts.

The biggest lowlight for me was The Lords of Salem which I watched as one of the subset films. I went into this with an open mind even though the whole Satanism thing is usually something that doesn't work for me in films. Well, it didn't work for me here either. After being somewhat intrigued by it in the beginning, it was a real drag for me to get through the second half once the crap started hitting the fan. It won't be horror, unless you were a fan of the Soviet Red Army Team, but all I can think is that I hope the Broad Street Bullies film will be better or that might be a major disappointment for me.
Old 10-10-13, 10:26 PM

The New Daughter (2009) was one of my favorite movies so far this month. It's got an original premise with good tension, I don't want to say too much to ruin it but it's worth seeking out.

Does the thriller Martha Marcy May Marlene (2011) count for the challenge? I'm about to start a first time viewing with the wife. It's appears to be a paranoid thriller about a girl escaping a cult so seems in line.
Old 10-10-13, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

Seeing a screening of 'Re-Animator' tomorrow night! Barbara Crampton is going to be there doing a Q&A as well!

I was told today that she will be signing items and taking pictures with fans for free. I'm pretty excited about that and will probably bring my DVDs of 'Re-Animator' and 'Chopping Mall'
Old 10-10-13, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Seeing a screening of 'Re-Animator' tomorrow night! Barbara Crampton is going to be there doing a Q&A as well!

I was told today that she will be signing items and taking pictures with fans for free. I'm pretty excited about that and will probably bring my DVDs of 'Re-Animator' and 'Chopping Mall'
Enjoy! She's a really sweet person and still a looker.

Check this out guys, an indie remake of White Zombie is coming soon from a group of workers that need your support. They definitely put their heart into everything they make. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDXZ6qfJoLk
Old 10-10-13, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

Should have had tonight's beer with the American Horror Story premiere.

Also, not beer but I though the forum might get a kick out of these:
Old 10-10-13, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

Enjoy! She's a really sweet person and still a looker.
Thanks! I'm pretty excited.

I've been slammed with coursework all this week that leads all the way to Sunday. This will be my bit of fun & joy before jumping back into work/studying.
Old 10-10-13, 11:38 PM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Are those sodas? Where can I find them?
Old 10-10-13, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Day 10's blog post is up! http://celluloidterror.blogspot.com/...13-day-10.html
Old 10-10-13, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by shellebelle
Are those sodas? Where can I find them?
The limited edition soda will be sold in a four-pack at all of Target’s U.S. stores (approximately 1,700), Cost Plus, World Market, Hastings Entertainment and Schnucks for a retail price of $2.79-2.99.
Old 10-11-13, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
Umm, have you noticed the picture at the bottom of my list? It's a close up of one of my DVD/BD shelves, and although the box sets aren't very visible, you can see I do have a bit of Franco knowledge. I think SethDLH put it best about Franco just making films for himself.
Looking at that picture, I see you must have liked "Snakewoman" enough to buy it. So I stand corrected ... I doubt there can be many Franco movies bad enough for you to dislike

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Does the thriller Martha Marcy May Marlene (2011) count for the challenge? I'm about to start a first time viewing with the wife. It's appears to be a paranoid thriller about a girl escaping a cult so seems in line.
Good movie. Not a horror movie though.

Catching up with the daily movies, I made a baboon double-feature of it: In the Shadow of Kilimanjaro (which I hadn't seen before) and Shakma (which I did). Sucks that the only way I could find Kilimanjaro was on youtube ... VHS transfer, with interlacing and lots of digital block artifacts. Hasn't had a DVD release that I could find. I liked how the movie was sponsored by the tourism board of Kenya. Killer baboons on the rampage eating people? Let's book a trip!

For me, there's a giant limitation of these killer baboon movies. Despite them being legit dangerous animals, they're too silly looking to make an effective horror movie monster.
Old 10-11-13, 03:40 AM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Was catching up on my lists when I realized I hit number 2500 of the films I have seen in my lifetime (that I can remember) with... Teenage Exorcist. Gah! I wish I had realized sooner so I could have capped it with something other than the worst movie I've seen during this challenge.

Otherwise, pretty pleased with my viewings so far. Not too many duds, and for the most part, everything has been mostly enjoyable!
Old 10-11-13, 06:03 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by cwileyy
Was catching up on my lists when I realized I hit number 2500 of the films I have seen in my lifetime (that I can remember) with... Teenage Exorcist. Gah! I wish I had realized sooner so I could have capped it with something other than the worst movie I've seen during this challenge.

Otherwise, pretty pleased with my viewings so far. Not too many duds, and for the most part, everything has been mostly enjoyable!
I finally took the plunge and bought DVD Profiler, so tracking viewings is something I'll likely start doing. Luckily, most of what I watch is documented here in Challenge list and other threads, so I should be able to back track most of my viewings the past decade.

I'm starting my database by inputting my horror titles, and ended last night with a double feature disc with Teenage Exorcist.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.