Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-13, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

I watched a movie called Cassadaga (2011), which apparently only ever got a region 2/B video release (despite being made in the United States). I wonder why some movies are produced only to languish without wide release.

Cassadaga was an effective horror mystery story with a cool villain/ghost and interesting psychosexual under-tones like a cross between Pieces with Stir of Echoes. If nothing else the poster, previously featured in a challenge banner, is intense (but the film is actually much more subtle).

Poster spoilered for mild gore:
Spoiler:

Originally Posted by SethDLH
For tomorrow's killer ape/gorilla theme what does everyone think about a movie with killer bigfoot/sasquatch? Namely, 1980's Night Of The Demon
Good call, I'd consider sasquatches to be part of the "killer monkey" subgenre (if there is such a thing).
Old 10-08-13, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Watched The Relic for the first time in a really long time. Still a very decent movie, but kind of been forgotten. The dvd has one of the worst looking video transfers I have ever seen. Anyone know if the bluray is any better? Than watched Scary Movie 1 and 2 today. First one still has some funny but dated jokes, and the second one sucks. You can tell it was rushed to theatres.
Old 10-08-13, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Post #666
Old 10-08-13, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
Watched The Relic for the first time in a really long time. Still a very decent movie, but kind of been forgotten. The dvd has one of the worst looking video transfers I have ever seen. Anyone know if the bluray is any better? Than watched Scary Movie 1 and 2 today. First one still has some funny but dated jokes, and the second one sucks. You can tell it was rushed to theatres.
Blu-ray isn't an amazing transfer but it is an improvement. Worth the $ if you can find it cheap
Old 10-08-13, 06:06 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
Post #666
Awesome! But with a post count like that you need to stay quiet for awhile and keep it. Quick everyone, let's say bad things about Dick!
Old 10-08-13, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
One of the best films of my month so far was a blind watch that I don't remember hearing about before I saw it on Netflix; The Last Will and Testament of Rosalind Leigh.

It's a 'slow burn' sort of a film, and I appreciated it more and more as I watched it. Lots of little details and filmmaking choices that build together quite well.

Thanks from me as well Bob. I might as well make sure I watch at least one film from all twelve or so ratings/non-ratings, so that search technique will come in handy again.
I was bored to tears.. and not scared at all... I.expected so much from rue . morgue
Old 10-08-13, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having another slow day today. Spent most of the day traveling to see if I could get help with legal aid over these defaulted school loans I'm being screwed with, but of course I live in the one county where legal aid doesn't cover financial stuff. Anyways, I did pick up the Chucky blu-ray set that I had set aside some change for. I'll save that for the killer doll theme night.
Old 10-08-13, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ntnon
I wrote a big long piece about just how good Repo! is, and apparently it didn't post. Anyway, it's really good: the whole cast does an excellent job - even Paris Hilton, playing Paris Hilton - and the music is by turns both operatic, rock-y, satirical and cleverly-awful. The whole thing works on every level, and probably now ranks in my personal top ten in every one of it's multi-genres: horror, sci-fi, satire, spoof, musical, family drama... It even breaks the meta- barrier at the end, when most of the cast wind up on stage at the finale of an opera, partly singing about how operatic their own lives are!

Anthony Stewart Head is a great flawed hero/antihero/hero/villain, torn by his "secret, Repo life!" and his familial duties. Alexa Vega as his daughter gets to do full opera, mock-opera, rock and pathos and handles them all well. Some of the lines in many of the songs are just brilliantly awful but my impression is that they are pointedly and deliberately so. The plot is by turns ludicrous and believable; crazy and worryingly accurate.. this could well seem like a musical documentary in a few years' time. Paul Sorvino is an excellent pater familias and main villain, while the whole occasional fade-to-comic-strip allows all the different aspects and genres to mesh really well and allows the backstory to be easily interpolated during the main story.

It's a very good film. Excellent social satire, great "body horror" (which I don't enjoy, but this is both restrained and briefly comedically over-the-top so it never crosses over into nastiness. And the music is great. Mad, but great.
Really great film and so underrated. The cast was excellent and the movie wasn't boring or dull at all. Loved every minute of it. Some of the cast are going to be at Spooky Empire this year.

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Watched a movie during lunch that freaked my shit - Sinister (2012). Other than a small part of the ending, I loved it. Extremely creepy and eerie.
Best horror movie that's came out in the past few years. Say what you want about James Wan, but I still think Sinister is the best horror movie out there.

Originally Posted by SethDLH
I found the Wishmaster sequels are on Fearnet On Demand in HD, and having thought the first one is a half decent movie I gave part 2 a chance... it wasn't good. Now I'm making the mistake of watching part 3 and at that point I may as well just finish out part 4. I've made a mistake.
Made that mistake last year and sorry you had to go through that Surprised how good part 1 was, though.

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
I actually enjoyed most of part 2, but part 1 holds up so damn well. Such a shame part 3 sucked and the Wayans' Brothers left that series. Finally read up on it and they didn't get kicked out, but just decided to leave...at least that's what the brother who did Haunted House said.

Yesterday was slow, but nice. Take a brief break and only watched three. Watched Absentia at like 1 or 2 AM today. Still not 100% sure what I think about the film. Creepy but could have been better.

What's the best film on Netflix to see for today's theme?
Old 10-08-13, 08:11 PM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Started my day with not only a first time view, but also my first Mario Bava film, as Baron Blood was being aired on Epix Drive-In this morning. Took me a little bit to get into it, but after a little while I actually started to enjoy the movie.
I just watched this one today. I had a 2 movie marathon of Mario Bava. It rather reiterated how much I am not into his films. The other one of his I watched today was The Girl Who Knew Too Much. Didn't care for that one either.
Old 10-08-13, 08:46 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

watched the unrated version of World War Z - wow! now I know why I wasn't that enamored with the theatrical PG-13 version of the film - the extra intensity and gore upped the movie considerably.
Old 10-08-13, 08:54 PM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

To celebrate Peter Crushing's legacy I thought I'd start with the film he considers his worst, The Blood Beast Terror. It's amazing to me that even cartoons like Hotel Transylvania get rated PG but something called The Blood Beast Terror with several blood dripping bodies is G rated. Overall The Blood Beast Terror had some pacing problems but the outdoors zoological vibe was nice and when it did show up the "blood beast" was a cool creature.

Now off to Vampire Lovers...
Old 10-08-13, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Felt like some good old fashioned kaiju tonight, so I just finished Varan the Unbelievable.
Old 10-08-13, 10:09 PM

Well only one movie that's worth mentioning here. Talked a little bit about blind buys earlier and here I sit with Resolution.....what can I say about the film? Besides tell you people not to open it and go back to the store where you got it and get a refund before it's too late!!!..........SAVE YOURSELVES!!!
Old 10-08-13, 10:29 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 3onameathook
Well only one movie that's worth mentioning here. Talked a little bit about blind buys earlier and here I sit with Resolution.....what can I say about the film? Besides tell you people not to open it and go back to the store where you got it and get a refund before it's too late!!!..........SAVE YOURSELVES!!!

I had to go over to Amazon and see what DVD/film you were talking about....

duly noted.
Old 10-08-13, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Shack
Tonight I returned to my traditional favorite double feature: Nosferatu and Shadow of the Vampire. It amazes me how creepy Nosferatu is, even on repeat viewings, and Shadow has such great performances (particularly Willem Dafoe).
Nosferatu always scares the crap out of me. I've viewed it many, many times, and it still oogs me out. Maybe it's because of how Nosferatu looks. I don't know, but I'm looking forward to my viewing of it (in the daylight of course) again later this month.

Shadow of the Vampire does the same thing to me. Willem Dafoe was brilliant in it. Should try and find a copy of it to watch when I watch Nosferatu...
Old 10-08-13, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by ntnon
If you get round to doing a list & availability, do post it here, please.

I've tried to do it in the past and given up at least once... I began by getting confused about who'd released what, and ended up getting annoyed by Warner Bros. (and myself) for there being three different box-released versions of several, and no releases of others... Taste the Blood of Dracula and Horror of Frankenstein, for instance. I have several copies of each, but none of most of the other Frankensteins.
If you look back in the Part 1 of the thread, I believe Bob'O'Link posted a comprehensive list of all the movies. I have to go back and look for it as I stupidly didn't print it out when he posted it.
Old 10-08-13, 11:04 PM

One of the best films of my month so far was a blind watch that I don't remember hearing about before I saw it on Netflix; The Last Will and Testament of Rosalind Leigh.

It's a 'slow burn' sort of a film, and I appreciated it more and more as I watched it. Lots of little details and filmmaking choices that build together quite well.
I have that in my queue. It was going to be a blind watch also for me. Maybe I'll get to it this weekend. Thanks for the info on it.
Old 10-08-13, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

A staple
Old 10-08-13, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

I might be out of this Challenge

I have too much coursework this Quarter in my classes to even sneak in one film.
Old 10-08-13, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by shellebelle
Nosferatu always scares the crap out of me. I've viewed it many, many times, and it still oogs me out. Maybe it's because of how Nosferatu looks. I don't know, but I'm looking forward to my viewing of it (in the daylight of course) again later this month.

Shadow of the Vampire does the same thing to me. Willem Dafoe was brilliant in it. Should try and find a copy of it to watch when I watch Nosferatu...
Nosferatu is definitely frightening. I've never seen Shadow of the Vampire despite hearing great things about it. I need to check the film out. Have you seen the remake of Nosferatu by Werner Herzog? It's also pretty creepy.

Yesterday evening, I hung out with friends, and we watched The Mummy (1932) and Prince of Darkness (1987). The former was my selection, and it is one of my favorite Universal horror films. While I know that some of the others are "better" films, The Mummy holds a special place in my heart: the love story, the connection to history, Karloff's eyes, everything about it is wonderful.

I wasn't as much a fan of Prince of Darkness which was annoyingly cryptic. While there were compelling ideas, I wanted more development and more of a pay off. Of course, you have to love Jameson Parker's 'stache and Lisa Blount's 80s-tastic hair.
Old 10-08-13, 11:44 PM

^

I love The Mummy. You just can't beat Boris Karloff as Kharis. Classic movie and also one of my favorites.

No, don't think I've seen Werner Herzog's remake. Will need to check it out.
Old 10-09-13, 01:00 AM

Received 230 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
I wasn't as much a fan of Prince of Darkness which was annoyingly cryptic. While there were compelling ideas, I wanted more development and more of a pay off. Of course, you have to love Jameson Parker's 'stache and Lisa Blount's 80s-tastic hair.
I'm with you on this one. I love me some John Carpenter, but it's probably my least favorite of his films. The setup is nice, I really like the score, it's got some good atmosphere...but absolutely nothing happens for an hour and a half, and then it's over. More like Prince of Obtuseness.
Old 10-09-13, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Awesome! But with a post count like that you need to stay quiet for awhile and keep it. Quick everyone, let's say bad things about Dick!

I thought about just continuing to edit that one post, but that wouldn't work out for very long. Oh, well. Here's to #667...
Old 10-09-13, 07:14 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not sure where I put my copy of The Flesh and the Fiends, so I didn't watch my own subset choice last night. I will watch it when I find it, and since I've watched the UK and Continental versions before, I'm able to write about it without a fresh viewing. I did watch Twins of Evil this month, which also starred Peter Cushing, so that has had some influence on my thoughts about The Flesh and the Fiends.
Old 10-09-13, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Watched V/H/S for the first time. I thought it was a really good compilation film but if you are prone to motion sickness, watch at your own risk. I don't get motion sickness at all but this movie left me feeling a little queasy by the end of it (from the camera movement as well as the content).

Also watched what may be the worst film of the month so far - Cruel World (2005) with Edward Furlong and Jaime Pressly. Great concept which tries to skewer reality shows but the execution is fucking horrible. I have come to believe that Edward Furlong may be one of the most obnoxious actors to ever grace Hollywood.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.