Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-13, 08:08 AM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Finally got my car fixed (it was either wait a month and DIY or pay $1000, and I'm way poor) so I checked out my library's DVD catalog. Requested 13 titles, 12 new to me plus the 2004 Dawn of the Dead for the commentary. I'm very excited.
Old 10-08-13, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by zaphod2467
The Shining is playing Oct 27 and 30 at a lot of Cinemark (and I think some AMC) theaters across the country. Has anyone been to any of these Classic Series screenings? How is the presentation?
There's a nice independent movie theatre in VA that plays classic films every weekend. One weekend they were playing Lawrence of Arabia. Out of curiosity I called the theatre and inquired whether they were playing a film print or digital. The manager's answer: "We're not equipped to play film, only digital."

Needless to say I didn't go.
Old 10-08-13, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Got my Peter Cushing film out of the way early since I'm not sure I'll have any time for movies tonight. Watched The Revenge of Frankenstein, that I bought last month for this challenge. Interesting ending. Not sure if the subsequent sequels played up that angle or not. I'll have to watch Frankenstein and the Monster From Hell again to see.
Old 10-08-13, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
That may have been me. I posted several IMDB links last year with such information.

Basically use the IMDB "advanced search" which is somewhat hidden (I have it bookmarked):

http://www.imdb.com/search/title

Then select "Horror" as your genre and "PG" (or another rating - but "M" and "GP" are not listed - see more below) for the rating. You'll get:

http://www.imdb.com/search/title?cer...&genres=horror

You can then easily change the rating in the URL to match others or the ones that aren't listed on the search page. Using the example above change the "pg" in the section =us%3Apg to the rating you need. Make it "m" for "Mature", gp for "GP"

So for your "Horror" films that received a "GP" rating your link looks like this:

http://www.imdb.com/search/title?cer...&genres=horror
Oh, that's what I forgot - edit the search page text. Thanks!
Old 10-08-13, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll be watching the newly released (just today!) Blu-ray of Corruption starring Peter Cushing from Grindhouse Releasing today and posting a review of the disc. I'm so excited for it.
Old 10-08-13, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
I haven't seen the B&W myself, but the director intended it to only be B&W, and I hear it's the preferred version.

Today I was browsing YouTube's horror movie selection, and I came across a wonderful little silent film called Wolf Blood. After some research I learned that this is considered the earliest surviving werewolf movie. I can't believe I hadn't heard of it before (probably had, just didn't register).

So, problem is that IMDb and the others list it as Drama and Fantasy. I'm thinking due to it's place in werewolf history that I'll count it as horror. But wanted to get opinions as well. Could always go Wild Card. Thoughts?
Definitely count it. There are enough early "Horror" films that aren't really (Cat and the Canary, The Man Who Laughs) that an actual werewolf film should definitely count.
Old 10-08-13, 11:14 AM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by SethDLH
I'll be watching the newly released (just today!) Blu-ray of Corruption starring Peter Cushing from Grindhouse Releasing today and posting a review of the disc. I'm so excited for it.
Yes. Grindhouse Releasing's Corruption seems very promising, I wanted to get a copy in time for the but am trying to resist for the budget. I'll be curious to see your impressions. Also I wish Virgin Among the Living Dead would drop slightly in price. That's the worst part of the horror challenge, all the cool stuff that comes out around this time I can't afford to buy (not that I have a shortage of stuff to watch as it is). The Vincent Price Collection will have to go on my list too.
Old 10-08-13, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

My first view of the day was earlier this morning, and it was also a first time view. I'd never seen Ghoulies before, so when I saw it was on Epix2 I watched it. Maybe I had low expectations, but I actually kind of enjoyed the movie.

I think my headache last night was the precursor of my coming down with something as I am actually beginning to feel ill today. Probably going to lay on the couch and watch tv. Most of which will be horror.
Old 10-08-13, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I think my headache last night was the precursor of my coming down with something as I am actually beginning to feel ill today. Probably going to lay on the couch and watch tv. Most of which will be horror.
You and me both. I came down with a cold yesterday and it isn't any better today.
Old 10-08-13, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by ororama
The Last Performance has a DVD and blu ray release. It's one of the supplements on the Criterion release of Lonesome... (which also includes Broadway, a musical by Pál Fejös, the director ..
Good job!

So it's only the lost Cat Creeps (for obvious reasons), The Last Warning and the 1913 Jekyll that aren't on DVD/Blu...? That's not too bad at all.
Old 10-08-13, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by DoctorWhosScarf
And then I need to start on the Hammer horror movies I haven't watched yet. I still need to print out a list of their chronology. Because WB, Universal, Anchor Bay, and Sony have rights to different sequels I'm going to have to keep going back and forth between sets. I'm looking forward to it though, and if I finish the movies I'm going to get to Hammer House Of Horror!
If you get round to doing a list & availability, do post it here, please.

I've tried to do it in the past and given up at least once... I began by getting confused about who'd released what, and ended up getting annoyed by Warner Bros. (and myself) for there being three different box-released versions of several, and no releases of others... Taste the Blood of Dracula and Horror of Frankenstein, for instance. I have several copies of each, but none of most of the other Frankensteins.
Old 10-08-13, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Bought the 1941 Universal blu disc of The Wolf man yesterday. Got to watch it yesterday. I was pleased with it. Picture looked really good. I'll have to get the others at a later date. Probably not for this years challenge. I already have the Price boxset, The Conjuring, and the non- horror disc High Plains Drifter slated for purchase this month. Might be able to sneak in one more possibly but this month is pretty well set for buying disc's.
Old 10-08-13, 12:21 PM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by JOE29
Bought the 1941 Universal blu disc of The Wolf man yesterday. Got to watch it yesterday. I was pleased with it. Picture looked really good. I'll have to get the others at a later date...
You might be aware the Universal Monsters collection is cheaper at Amazon.Uk going for ~$40. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-Cl.../dp/B008H45YSO
Old 10-08-13, 12:41 PM

The House that Dripped Blood is very entertaining - a great cast, even if they're mostly alone in their segments. Odd poster, though.

I was amused to notice that John Pertwee's bone structure and hair reminded me a lot of Peter Cushing this time, and Pertwee's segment is easily the best. Particularly with the line about Dracula "Lugosi, of course. Not that new fellow.."

(And later he has a cloak from Shepperton Studios...!)

How complicit was the estate agent, who knew what happened privately, I wonder...?

Last edited by ntnon; 10-08-13 at 12:52 PM.
Old 10-08-13, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,079 Likes on 654 Posts

Watched the BD of the original A Nightmare On Elm Street and I just have to say that the transfer is excellent and the picture quality is incredible. That is all.
Old 10-08-13, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Felt sleep coming over me this afternoon, so rather than a full length movie, just watched an ep of Ghost Lab on Netxlic
Old 10-08-13, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Finally got around to catching Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key. Probably my new favorite giallo ...at least from Sergio Martino. Can't go wrong with a touch of Edgar Allen Poe and, of course, Edwige Fenech.

Tonight it's a Cushing double-feature with House of the Long Shadows (first time viewing) and The Vampire Lovers (first time Blu-ray viewing).
Old 10-08-13, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Chad
Finally got around to catching Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key. Probably my new favorite giallo ...at least from Sergio Martino. Can't go wrong with a touch of Edgar Allen Poe and, of course, Edwige Fenech.

Tonight it's a Cushing double-feature with House of the Long Shadows (first time viewing) and The Vampire Lovers (first time Blu-ray viewing).
Your Vice... is excellent! As is your Cushing double feature, great choices!
Old 10-08-13, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just finished up and posted my review for the Blu-ray of CORRUPTION, check it out if you're interested in it. GR did an excellent job. http://celluloidterror.blogspot.com/...rindhouse.html

Last edited by SethDLH; 10-08-13 at 04:46 PM.
Old 10-08-13, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SethDLH
Your Vice... is excellent!
Well, I believe I have that title! I will add it to my list for this month. Thanks!
Old 10-08-13, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pacaway
Got my Peter Cushing film out of the way early since I'm not sure I'll have any time for movies tonight.
Well that's not a nice way to treat a man who's centennial is being honored today...

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Watched the BD of the original A Nightmare On Elm Street and I just have to say that the transfer is excellent and the picture quality is incredible. That is all.
Big +1 on that.

Finally got around to catching Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key. Probably my new favorite giallo ...at least from Sergio Martino.
I'll have to check that out.

Watching Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires and seeing Hammer and Shaw in the same credit is intriguing. I'll have to look up whatever else they may have teamed up for.
Old 10-08-13, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Totally agree.
Old 10-08-13, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
Well that's not a nice way to treat a man who's centennial is being honored today...
LOL! Sorry! Didn't mean it that way!
Old 10-08-13, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For tomorrow's killer ape/gorilla theme what does everyone think about a movie with killer bigfoot/sasquatch? Namely, 1980's Night Of The Demon
Old 10-08-13, 05:35 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

One of the best films of my month so far was a blind watch that I don't remember hearing about before I saw it on Netflix; The Last Will and Testament of Rosalind Leigh.

It's a 'slow burn' sort of a film, and I appreciated it more and more as I watched it. Lots of little details and filmmaking choices that build together quite well.
Originally Posted by ntnon
Oh, that's what I forgot - edit the search page text. Thanks!
Thanks from me as well Bob. I might as well make sure I watch at least one film from all twelve or so ratings/non-ratings, so that search technique will come in handy again.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.