Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-13, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by DoctorWhosScarf
There are several releases of Satanic Rites Of Dracula, not all of them good. The one that I have is in a double feature with Dracula Prince Of Darkness, but it's out of print. Echo Bridge seems to have a release out that is 1:85 and there's another release that is in a double feature with Horror Express. I don't know how the quality is on those two releases.
My copy of The Satanic Rites of Dracula is that AB double-feature too. If I were to purchase that today I'd probably take a chance on the Echo Bridge version. While they tend to have compression artifacts on many of their releases it's at least WS. Most, if not all, of the other releases are FS and rather poor copies. That double-feature with Horror Express is one such release. It shows to be FS so I'd avoid it unless there's nothing else.
Originally Posted by DoctorWhosScarf
...Revenge Of Frankenstein, but there is a four film pack that is a little cheaper which includes Revenge Of Frankenstein, Return Of The Vampire, Mr. Sardonicus, and Brotherhood Of Satan. I say for $5.49 go this route.
I picked that set up for Brotherhood of Satan since it was less expensive than the single of that title. It's one of the newer Mill Creek 4 film sets. They've been improving lately with licensed titles but I expect a few compression issues since all 4 films are on a single disk. If I get to it before the month is out I'll post my observations.

Here are other Hammer Horror films and what I know about releases on them. Many (most?) have a R2 release but I'm also R1 only so don't usually look those up:

Misc. Hammer Horror & Psychological thrillers:

The Quatermass Xperiment (1955) [AB-OOP, WB & Amazon MOD]
X the Unknown (Loosly based on Quatermass) (1956) [AB Single & DF w/Four Sided Triangle-Both OOP, WB & Amazon MOD]
The Abominable Snowman (1957) [AB-Single & DF w/Shatter-OOP, WB MOD-OOP]
Quatermass II: Enemy from Space (1957) [AB-Single & DF w/Quatermass and the Pit-OOP]
The Man Who Could Cheat Death (1959) [Legend single & Triple Feature w/The Skull/The Deadly Bees - a pair of Amicus Horror tiles]
The Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll (1960), [Sony Icons of Horror Collection: Hammer Films]
Shadow of the Cat (1961) [BHP (Hammer under different name) - no DVD release]
The Curse of the Werewolf (1961), Oliver Reed's first starring role [Universal Franchise Collection: The Hammer Horror Series]
Taste of Fear (aka Scream of Fear) (1961) [Icons of Horror Collection: Hammer Films]
The Phantom of the Opera (1962), starring Herbert Lom [Universal Hammer Horror Series]
Night Creatures (1962 [Universal Hammer Horror Series]
The Kiss of the Vampire (1963) [Universal Hammer Horror Series]
Maniac (1963) [Sony The Icons of Suspense Collection: Hammer Films]
Paranoiac (1963) [Universal Franchise Collection: The Hammer Horror Series]
These Are the Damned (1963) [The Icons of Suspense Collection]
Nightmare (1964) [Universal Franchise Collection: The Hammer Horror Series]
The Gorgon (1964) [Sony Icons of Horror Collection: Hammer Films]
Hysteria (1965) [WB MOD]
Fanatic (aka Die! Die! My Darling!) (1965) [Sony single-OOP, Sony Choice MOD]
The Nanny (1965) [Fox Single]
The Witches (1966) [AB Single & DF w/Prehistoric Women-Both OOP]
The Reptile (1966) [AB Single & DF w/The Lost Continent-Both OOP]
The Plague of the Zombies (1966) [AB Single & DF w/The Mummy's Shroud-Both OOP]
Quatermass and the Pit (aka Five Million Years To Earth) (1967) [AB Single & DF w/Quatermass II-Both OOP, WB MOD]
The Lost Continent (1968) [AB Single & DF w/The Reptile-Both OOP]
The Devil Rides Out (1968) [AB Single & DF w/Rasputin the Mad Monk-Both OOP]
The Anniversary (1968), w/Bette Davis (AB Single-OOP)
Crescendo (1970) [WB MOD]
Creatures the World Forgot (1971) - [Sony MOD]
Countess Dracula (1971) [MGM Midnight Movie DF w/The Vampire Lovers-OOP]
Hands of the Ripper (1971) [Synapse BR/DVD combo]
Straight on Till Morning (1972) [AB Single-OOP]
Demons of the Mind (1972) [AB Single-OOP]
Dr. Jekyll and Sister Hyde (1972) [AB Single-OOP]
Vampire Circus (1972) [Synapse BR/DVD]
Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter(1974) [Paramount single]
To the Devil a Daughter (1976) [AB Single-OOP *but* 3rd party prices are good]

The Karnstein Trilogy
In the Karnstein Trilogy, based loosely on J. Sheridan Le Fanu's early vampire novella Carmilla, Hammer showed some of the most explicit scenes of lesbianism yet seen in mainstream English language films. Despite otherwise traditional Hammer design and direction, there was also a corresponding increase in scenes of nudity in the films during this era. The Karnstein Trilogy comprises:

The Vampire Lovers (1970) [MGM Midnight Movie DF w/Countess Dracula-OOP]
Lust for a Vampire (1971) [AB Single-OOP, Amazon MOD]
Twins of Evil (1972) [Synapse BR/DVD and single DVD]

Last edited by BobO'Link; 10-12-13 at 09:55 AM.
Old 10-12-13, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by clckworang
Today's deals at Shout/Scream Factory are The Island and Death Valley, both for $14.99. I haven't seen either one of them and wanted to get some opinions from anyone here who has seen them. Either one (or both) worth a blind buy?
Found Death Valley pretty disappointing but still don't regret owning another Shout Factory title. I've had The Island on Universal's legit DVD-r form for a couple of years and still haven't watched that title. It's usually one with mixed reception, but I'm generally down for a Peter Benchley story and Michael Caine.
Old 10-12-13, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Saw Machete Kills last night (as my first wildcard) and it fit in pretty nicely with horror comedy day. Not nearly as good as the first one, but I'm so happy that something from Grindhouse is still continuing. Sadly, it's probably Rodriguez's weakest R-rated flick.
Old 10-12-13, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by jmsmath
Anyone seen Gravity yet? I plan on seeiing it this weekend and based on the previews, it looks like it might have enough horror elements to count as a wildcard. Any thoughts?
Saw it opening weekend in IMAX 3D. It was definitely intense, but personally, I didn't count it. I gave it some thought but ultimately felt I'd be trying to fool myself. You should definitely go see it at the theatre though. I just don't see it having the same intensity on a small screen.
Old 10-12-13, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Late last night I wanted to start off today's theme before bed with the belief that Killer Dolls was up next I started watching Curse of Chucky. Was about to switch it up when I realized it was the wrong day and then...someone lost their head. Ain't life grand?
Old 10-12-13, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Watched Peter Jackson's The Frighteners last night after a rousing game of A Touch of Evil, a board game in which you are investigating and attempting to kill a supernatural being plaguing the town of Shadowbrook. I really enjoyed the film in all its bizarreness and silliness. Michael J. Fox is a hoot to watch as are most of the others. Jeffrey Combs's character was a bit over-the-top, and I'm still not sure if his character actually fits into the world the film portrays. Still, great fun!
Old 10-12-13, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pacaway
Saw it opening weekend in IMAX 3D. It was definitely intense, but personally, I didn't count it. I gave it some thought but ultimately felt I'd be trying to fool myself. You should definitely go see it at the theatre though. I just don't see it having the same intensity on a small screen.
Thanks, that's the kind of input I'm looking for. I do plan on seeing in IMAX 3D. I've seen a couple of reviews that said it should be seen on the biggest screen possible.
Old 10-12-13, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ororama
The Last Performance has a DVD and blu ray release. It's one of the supplements on the Criterion release of Lonesome (which also includes Broadway, a musical by Pál Fejös, the director of all three movies).

I watched The Last Performance last night. It is primarily a melodrama, but after Erik's (Conrad Veidt) romantic hopes are dashed, it veers toward horror. As usual, Veidt gave a great performance, and Mary Philbin was beautiful as always (she also starred in The Phantom of the Opera with Lon Chaney and The Man Who Laughs with Veidt, both horror classics that I would recommend).

The plot is similar to Laugh, Clown, Laugh, but they diverge after the young woman chooses a younger lover over her patron. Interestingly, Lon Chaney's tormented, self-sacrificing clown in Laugh, Clown, Laugh is the sort of role that Conrad Veidt excelled at, while Veidt's vengeful magician in The Last Performance is a role that seems tailor-made for Chaney.
Thanks! I've updated my list accordingly! Link is to the post containing the updated version.

That leaves one film that's not received a release and one "lost" film.
Old 10-12-13, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Today has been a bit rough in the world of Universal Horror. I started with Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man (1943) which is really not too bad but you can start to see/feel the seams in the classics. It doesn't help that I'm not really fond of Lugosi as The Monster.

I followed that with Captive Wild Woman (1943), a film I've never particularly liked as it feels more like a circus film than a horror film and comes of as a *very* cheap Island of Dr. Moreau knockoff with only a single transformation. At least it's short.

Then there was Phantom of the Opera (1943). My least favorite of the filmed versions I've seen (no I've not forced myself to watch the 2004 musical but it's not even labeled as horror so why bother?) and quite possibly my least favorite of *all* the Universal horror films. This one feels more like a romance/musical than a horror movie. Frankly, I only own it for the sake of completion.

Up next is Son of Dracula (1943). Another in the "not *too* bad" realm. I don't particularly care for Lon Chaney, Jr. as "Dracula" but it at least has the lovely Evelyn Ankers so it's not a total loss.

After that will be The Mad Ghoul with Evelyn Ankers and George Zucco. I don't believe I've seen this one before and am looking forward to the viewing.
Old 10-12-13, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Real life has knocked me out of the pursuit of 100 as well as theme nights but I will press on to at least watch all the horror I can. I am devoted to the challenge damn it.
Old 10-12-13, 11:49 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

watched The Possessed - interesting concept and idea - but the ending was a tad too over the top in my mind.

while the hidef transfer has been not that well received (I didn't mind it) I thought the UK bluray edition of Suspiria looked fine by me - but it's the commentary track that's the stand out - very informative and a definite 'listen to'
Old 10-12-13, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Getting a little burnt out from pushing myself so hard to make 100, so don't know if I'll make 100 or not as I plan to slow down. Watching Black Sabbath now for my first movie of the day on Epix Drive-In. Don't know if it's because I'm not feeling well, and I threw my back out today, but I'm having trouble getting into the movie.
Old 10-12-13, 12:53 PM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

It's surreal trying to decide which movies might feature decapitation. I'm amazed there are some many "top 10 decapitation" lists when "Googleing" horror movie decapitations.

I watched a guilty pleasure, Ghost Ship (2002), with it's unconvincing sets, lack of subtlety, and cliche but never gets old twist. I really think Ghost Ship is under-rated. It's a lot of fun and next to the House on Haunted Hill remake is one of Dark Castle's best releases.
Old 10-12-13, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I followed that with Captive Wild Woman (1943), a film I've never particularly liked as it feels more like a circus film than a horror film and comes of as a *very* cheap Island of Dr. Moreau knockoff with only a single transformation. At least it's short.
I watched this movie for my first horror challenge. Sounds like I had a similar response:

They just loved movies about apes in the 40's, didn't they? Acquanetta makes a cute ape girl - it was probably wise to not give her any lines and just ask her to stare expressively. I could've done with a little less lion and tiger action - it felt like it took up half the movie.
When your movie is 60 minutes long and it still needs a massive amount of padding, it's probably a sign you need to come up with a better story.

Another lesser known Universal horror from that time (I think they're both on the DVD set "Universal Horror Classic Movie Archive") that I thought was a lot better was Night Monster. While the set-up might be familar ("10 Little Indians" style mystery at a spooky house), the twist to the mystery is something I don't think I've ever seen before.

Last edited by brainee; 10-12-13 at 01:13 PM.
Old 10-12-13, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, it happened much sooner than I was expecting. I hit the dreaded "wall". I was hoping to make it to 50 before taking a break. I havn't even been watching very many movies every day, and I planned at least 7 movies for Friday, but only watched 2. And haven't even started one today...

So finished off yesterday catching up on sitcoms on (Roku) Hulu (New Girl, Parks and Rec, etc). Nice break actually. Must get back on that horse...
Old 10-12-13, 02:47 PM

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

Still reading through the last few days, but had to just put a word in: Severence is hilarious. Creepy, interesting, horrific and all that, but also hysterical. Everyone should watch it, particularly since it's today's subset pick.
Old 10-12-13, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
My copy of The Satanic Rites of Dracula is that AB double-feature too. If I were to purchase that today I'd probably take a chance on the Echo Bridge version. While they tend to have compression artifacts on many of their releases it's at least WS. Most, if not all, of the other releases are FS and rather poor copies. That double-feature with Horror Express is one such release. It shows to be FS so I'd avoid it unless there's nothing else.

I picked that set up for Brotherhood of Satan since it was less expensive than the single of that title. It's one of the newer Mill Creek 4 film sets. They've been improving lately with licensed titles but I expect a few compression issues since all 4 films are on a single disk. If I get to it before the month is out I'll post my observations.

Here are other Hammer Horror films and what I know about releases on them. Many (most?) have a R2 release but I'm also R1 only so don't usually look those up:

Misc. Hammer Horror & Psychological thrillers:

The Quatermass Xperiment (1955) [AB-OOP, WB & Amazon MOD]
X the Unknown (Loosly based on Quatermass) (1956) [AB Single & DF w/Four Sided Triangle-Both OOP, WB & Amazon MOD]
The Abominable Snowman (1957) [AB-Single & DF w/Shatter-OOP, WB MOD-OOP]
Quatermass II: Enemy from Space (1957) [AB-Single & DF w/Quatermass and the Pit-OOP]
The Man Who Could Cheat Death (1959) [Legend single & Triple Feature w/The Skull/The Deadly Bees - a pair of Amicus Horror tiles]
The Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll (1960), [Sony Icons of Horror Collection: Hammer Films]
Shadow of the Cat (1961) [BHP (Hammer under different name) - no DVD release]
The Curse of the Werewolf (1961), Oliver Reed's first starring role [Universal Franchise Collection: The Hammer Horror Series]
Taste of Fear (aka Scream of Fear) (1961) [Icons of Horror Collection: Hammer Films]
The Phantom of the Opera (1962), starring Herbert Lom [Universal Hammer Horror Series]
Night Creatures (1962 [Universal Hammer Horror Series]
The Kiss of the Vampire (1963) [Universal Hammer Horror Series]
Maniac (1963) [Sony The Icons of Suspense Collection: Hammer Films]
Paranoiac (1963) [Universal Franchise Collection: The Hammer Horror Series]
These Are the Damned (1963) [The Icons of Suspense Collection]
Nightmare (1964) [Universal Franchise Collection: The Hammer Horror Series]
The Gorgon (1964) [Sony Icons of Horror Collection: Hammer Films]
Hysteria (1965) [WB MOD]
Fanatic (aka Die! Die! My Darling!) (1965) [Sony single-OOP, Sony Choice MOD]
The Nanny (1965) [Fox Single]
The Witches (1966) [AB Single & DF w/Prehistoric Women-Both OOP]
The Reptile (1966) [AB Single & DF w/The Lost Continent-Both OOP]
The Plague of the Zombies (1966) [AB Single & DF w/The Mummy's Shroud-Both OOP]
Quatermass and the Pit (aka Five Million Years To Earth) (1967) [AB Single & DF w/Quatermass II-Both OOP, WB MOD]
The Lost Continent (1968) [AB Single & DF w/The Reptile-Both OOP]
The Devil Rides Out (1968) [AB Single & DF w/Rasputin the Mad Monk-Both OOP]
The Anniversary (1968), w/Bette Davis (AB Single-OOP)
Crescendo (1970) [WB MOD]
Creatures the World Forgot (1971) - [Sony MOD]
Countess Dracula (1971) [MGM Midnight Movie DF w/The Vampire Lovers-OOP]
Hands of the Ripper (1971) [Synapse BR/DVD combo]
Straight on Till Morning (1972) [AB Single-OOP]
Demons of the Mind (1972) [AB Single-OOP]
Dr. Jekyll and Sister Hyde (1972) [AB Single-OOP]
Vampire Circus (1972) [Synapse BR/DVD]
Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter(1974) [Paramount single]
To the Devil a Daughter (1976) [AB Single-OOP *but* 3rd party prices are good]

The Karnstein Trilogy
In the Karnstein Trilogy, based loosely on J. Sheridan Le Fanu's early vampire novella Carmilla, Hammer showed some of the most explicit scenes of lesbianism yet seen in mainstream English language films. Despite otherwise traditional Hammer design and direction, there was also a corresponding increase in scenes of nudity in the films during this era. The Karnstein Trilogy comprises:

The Vampire Lovers (1970) [MGM Midnight Movie DF w/Countess Dracula-OOP]
Lust for a Vampire (1971) [AB Single-OOP, Amazon MOD]
Twins of Evil (1972) [Synapse BR/DVD and single DVD]
I am region free and I've got the two out of print Carlton collections:

Hammer House of Horror - The Vampire Collection
  • Countess Dracula
  • Twins of Evil
  • Vampire Circus

The Classic Horror Collection
  • Hands of the Ripper
  • The Monster
  • The Uncanny

In R2, the cream of Hammer's horror can be found in the Ultimate Hammer Collection and just about everything else that has been mentioned can be picked up piecemeal, depending on how much you're willing to spend overall.
Old 10-12-13, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
It's surreal trying to decide which movies might feature decapitation. I'm amazed there are some many "top 10 decapitation" lists when "Googleing" horror movie decapitations.

I watched a guilty pleasure, Ghost Ship (2002), with it's unconvincing sets, lack of subtlety, and cliche but never gets old twist. I really think Ghost Ship is under-rated. It's a lot of fun and next to the House on Haunted Hill remake is one of Dark Castle's best releases.
I love those two films. The beginning of Ghost House has to be one of the best openings in any horror film.
Old 10-12-13, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

I've seen two horror flicks lately. The first was Dead & Buried starring James Farentino. It was okay, though its middle section is somewhat poorly paced.

The second was Fright Night 2:New Blood, a sequel to the remake in name only. I actually liked it a bit better than the 2011 remake with Colin Farrell (he doesn't show up in this one at all), especially Jaime Murray as a sexy vampire. Most would know Jaime from her role on Defiance as the manipulative alien.
Old 10-12-13, 03:22 PM

After another meh day, I just watched Linkeroever (2008) and quite enjoyed it. It was more mystery than horror, but it had a nice sense of dread and it unfolded nicely. Although the ending was just wtf.

Now onto World War Z which I expect to suck, but I'm hoping for more.
Old 10-12-13, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Finally checked out American Horror Story. I think the show is a bit stronger when it's Drama over Horror as opposed to the Horror over Drama.

The first season had some really strong moments, but I thought the writing was sloppy and uneven.
Old 10-12-13, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The second was Fright Night 2:New Blood, a sequel to the remake in name only. I actually liked it a bit better than the 2011 remake with Colin Farrell (he doesn't show up in this one at all), especially Jaime Murray as a sexy vampire. Most would know Jaime from her role on Defiance as the manipulative alien.
I've been leaning towards watching that one. The plot synopsis I've read makes it sound more like it is just more or less telling the same story again though.
Old 10-12-13, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I heard horrible things about this film, especially since it wasn't a sequel and just kind of redone things, like I Spit on Your Grave 2. So I'm interested to know what made this good? I liked the first one (remake) and thought it was entertaining.
Old 10-12-13, 04:04 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Browsing Amazon Prime films to watch on a slow day at work, I stumbled upon Thankskilling. I needed a Thanksgiving film for my checklist, and despite a vague memory of seeing and hating it a few years ago, I watched it. I'm not sure if a worse film has ever been made.
Old 10-12-13, 05:18 PM

Bleh, so World War Z sucked. It did get me into list-making mood, however, and I made a list of my 50 Favourite Zombie Movies: http://www.imdb.com/list/g84XgezSoUI/

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.