Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Old 10-09-13, 07:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Had such a boring day yesterday I was too depressed to talk about it. Started off today a bit better with Link. Nothing amazing, but a lot better than I expected. And a cool soundtrack.

Was also reminded of this photo my dad posted on FB a while back of me when I was 9/10, which I found fitting for this challenge:

Spoiler:

Last edited by mightysparks; 10-09-13 at 10:22 AM.
Old 10-09-13, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

With my watching of the dentist yesterday I finished the requirements for the checklist... now I plan to fill it in 100% and if possible without doubles....
Old 10-09-13, 07:54 AM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
Nosferatu is definitely frightening. I've never seen Shadow of the Vampire despite hearing great things about it. I need to check the film out. Have you seen the remake of Nosferatu by Werner Herzog? It's also pretty creepy.
Herzog's Nosferatu is great. I should rewatch that. And you should definitely get Shadow of the Vampire - amazing movie and can be found pretty cheaply if you have a used DVD store near you.
Old 10-09-13, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by shellebelle
Nosferatu always scares the crap out of me. I've viewed it many, many times, and it still oogs me out. Maybe it's because of how Nosferatu looks. I don't know, but I'm looking forward to my viewing of it (in the daylight of course) again later this month.
Daylight? Booooo. Late night!

Yeah it's the look of the vampire, but also the use of light and shadow. The views of his silhouette on the stairs...lovely spooky stuff.
Old 10-09-13, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mightysparks
Had such a boring day yesterday I was too depressed to talk about it. Started off today a bit better with Link. Nothing amazing, but a lot better than I expected. And a cool soundtrack.
I hate those days. Hope it stays better for you today!

I seem to have inadvertently backed myself up against an OCD wall...

Upon updating my list last night I realized every weekday I've only been watching theme movies, and the weekends I've been watching theme + whatever. Now I have to decide if I'm going to commit to only theme nights during the weekdays or just let it ride and watch at will.

My brain says I MUST stay on the current path. I believe Trevor would agree...
Old 10-09-13, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For those who use ICM, and maybe Mightysparks might know this best... what criteria makes a film fall off a list... for example... Les Diaboliques has been the #5 on the Horror top 50... but it was just knocked off... it still has a better imdb rating then the 45 movies that were below it, and the new movies added weren't higher...
Old 10-09-13, 08:24 AM

It looks like someone has been doing genre-stripping and removed 'horror' from its genres.

Last edited by mightysparks; 10-09-13 at 08:32 AM.
Old 10-09-13, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Took a look at the Monstervision links on the first post of the thread for my first movie of the day today. Chose Ghoulies II, as I just watched the first movie yesterday. Was nothing special, but Joe Bob Briggs helped it a lot.
Old 10-09-13, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mightysparks
It looks like someone has been doing genre-stripping and removed 'horror' from its genres.
Thanks
Old 10-09-13, 10:08 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
I hate those days. Hope it stays better for you today!

I seem to have inadvertently backed myself up against an OCD wall...

Upon updating my list last night I realized every weekday I've only been watching theme movies, and the weekends I've been watching theme + whatever. Now I have to decide if I'm going to commit to only theme nights during the weekdays or just let it ride and watch at will.

My brain says I MUST stay on the current path. I believe Trevor would agree...
I hear you! My problem is that I get borderline OCD about so many different aspects of the Challenge (and everything else in life at times) that it becomes impossible to stay on every course.

Part of me wants to watch only theme-compliant titles; part of me wants to do not only the checklist but the "uber-checklist" with all past items inserted; part of me wants to focus on the alphabet checklist first; part unwatched stuff; part netflix only to get my money's worth out of this one month on it; part on watching the items I'm donating as prizes before I mail them out; etc etc.

I usually end up compromising a little bit on all aspects and just making sure that I have fun and don't completely ignore the family.
Old 10-09-13, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just watched this one today. I had a 2 movie marathon of Mario Bava. It rather reiterated how much I am not into his films. The other one of his I watched today was The Girl Who Knew Too Much. Didn't care for that one either.
I liked Baron Blood but if you're ever going to watch more of his stuff, avoid Bay of Blood. While it's nice to see the kill scene that was taken and used in Friday the 13th, the movie is just awful where things just sort of happen from scene to scene which makes it a confusing mess.

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
To celebrate Peter Crushing's legacy I thought I'd start with the film he considers his worst, The Blood Beast Terror. It's amazing to me that even cartoons like Hotel Transylvania get rated PG but something called The Blood Beast Terror with several blood dripping bodies is G rated. Overall The Blood Beast Terror had some pacing problems but the outdoors zoological vibe was nice and when it did show up the "blood beast" was a cool creature.

Now off to Vampire Lovers...
I watched that recently too, nearly back to back with another humanoid insect monster feature, Breeders. The most interesting part of that film was the amount of unexpected virgins combined with the
Spoiler:
semen bath
at the end.

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Took a look at the Monstervision links on the first post of the thread for my first movie of the day today. Chose Ghoulies II, as I just watched the first movie yesterday. Was nothing special, but Joe Bob Briggs helped it a lot.
I remember watching the first two, mainly for the monsters, and not being too impressed as a kid. That being said, I have an inflatable toilet memorabilia for the second and also like the later ones even if they were really only sequels in name only.
Old 10-09-13, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
I liked Baron Blood but if you're ever going to watch more of his stuff, avoid Bay of Blood. While it's nice to see the kill scene that was taken and used in Friday the 13th, the movie is just awful where things just sort of happen from scene to scene which makes it a confusing mess.
No different than any 80s slasher lol
Old 10-09-13, 10:27 AM

Here's a handy link posted today:
Every Horror Movie on TV for the rest of October

(My DVR just got a bit busier...)
Old 10-09-13, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the post... personally i cant watch a movie with comercials
Old 10-09-13, 10:49 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

HOLY SHITBALLS is Mother of Tears (Unrated) funny. It's the most unintentionally hilarious movie I've seen in a while. Easily my highlight of the challenge so far. The Rifftrax guys should take notice.
Old 10-09-13, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
I wasn't as much a fan of Prince of Darkness which was annoyingly cryptic. While there were compelling ideas, I wanted more development and more of a pay off. Of course, you have to love Jameson Parker's 'stache and Lisa Blount's 80s-tastic hair.
I'm looking forward to re-watching Prince of Darkness this challenge; but I have the opposite impression of enjoying Price of Darkness because it is so cryptic, almost surreal.
Originally Posted by Darkgod
With my watching of the dentist yesterday I finished the requirements for the checklist... now I plan to fill it in 100% and if possible without doubles....
Congratulations! I'm also going for 100% and haven't even paid much attention to the minimum checklist requirements but the potential for flexibility seems really cool.
Originally Posted by shadokitty
I miss Monstervision, it was "epic" when that use to air on TNT. Hopefully we'll see a resurgance of horror host features at some point in the future. If digital streaming is the future, that seems like a ripe feature for Netflix to consider, the option of embedding horror commentators into certain features.
Originally Posted by walletboyniac
HOLY SHITBALLS is Mother of Tears (Unrated) funny. It's the most unintentionally hilarious movie I've seen in a while. Easily my highlight of the challenge so far. The Rifftrax guys should take notice.
I'm curious about Argento's Dracula 3D... that whole idea just sounds like obnoxious parody but apparently it's suppose to be a serious project. It's amazing how inconsistent Dario has become, that's one interesting career retrospective in the making.
Old 10-09-13, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by SethDLH
No different than any 80s slasher lol
I think it takes plot of confusion to a whole new level. It's one red herring after another in almost every scene and then someone dies. Rinse, repeat. Most 80s slashers toned it down to just a few times, spread out through the movie.
Old 10-09-13, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

For Peter Cushing Day, I finally watched The Mummy (1959) which seemed to combine aspects of all of the previous films in the Universal mummy franchise. I greatly enjoyed it though I have one... well two complaints. First, the subplot involving Eddie Byrne's inspector character was cumbersome and underdeveloped. I liked the mystery aspect and wanted to see a bit more of it. Second, the lighting!!! Of course, I love Hammer horror films, but every scene is flooded with light, and I am trained to be much more frightened by shadowy films. I wanted to see the mummy or his murderous cohort emerge menacingly from some dark shadows. However, I think my favorite moment was the first time the mummy comes of Cushing. Cushing is getting prepared when the mummy just crashes right through the door, arms raised in victory. There's no sneaking or thought, just unabashed door-destroying. It was a glorious moment!
Old 10-09-13, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
.Congratulations! I'm also going for 100% and haven't even paid much attention to the minimum checklist requirements but the potential for flexibility seems really cool.

I'm curious about Argento's Dracula 3D... that whole idea just sounds like obnoxious parody but apparently it's suppose to be a serious project. It's amazing how inconsistent Dario has become, that's one interesting career retrospective in the making.
Thanks, it felt a little too easy... but I guess it is to make it more accessible...

as for Dracula 3d it is pretty terrible... if you don't mind having your Argento image shattered put Dracula Praying Mantis into a youtube search... hard to believe its the same man who gave us Susperia, Deep Red, and helped write Once Upon a time in America
Old 10-09-13, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

I'm ashamed to admit that I haven't seen many Peter Cushing films, or any of the Hammer horror films. I always made it a priority to watch the classic Universal horror films first, and never got around to the Hammer era. For the theme night I watched the subset pick The Flesh and the Fiends, and really enjoyed it. My thoughts are in the discussion thread.

Then I watched Xtro, what an... interesting movie. The scene near the beginning with the alien crawling on the road is one of the creepiest things I've ever seen in a movie. Unfortunately some of the close ups of the alien in the following scenes looked a bit like a rubber mask/costume. The climactic scenes of the alien were really well done, however. Very creepy and they had an otherworldly feel to them.

Several scenes had a very bizarre tone to them, which I found off-putting at first, specifically scenes involving a giant toy soldier and a creepy clown assistant, but in retrospect I'd have to say that those images were rather memorable. Ultimately, the film works because of the elements of melodrama among the family. There is a classic love triangle between a woman and her husband who disappeared three years ago, and her new boyfriend. I enjoyed the interplay between the characters and the power struggle between the two men. The horror elements were elevated because this part of the movie was compelling.

The ending felt tacked on, but was surreal enough to work for me.
Old 10-09-13, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

Don't forget American Horror Story Season 3 premieres tonight!
Old 10-09-13, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Then I watched Xtro, what an... interesting movie. The scene near the beginning with the alien crawling on the road is one of the creepiest things I've ever seen in a movie. Unfortunately some of the close ups of the alien in the following scenes looked a bit like a rubber mask/costume. The climactic scenes of the alien were really well done, however. Very creepy and they had an otherworldly feel to them.
I've never seen Xtro, but I have seen some people watching and commenting on it. There is an online group called RedLetterMedia that does a series called "Best of the Worst" in which they watch "bad" films and then vote which one was the better film. They watched Xtro last year. Here's the link if anyone is interested.
Old 10-09-13, 12:15 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Don't forget American Horror Story Season 3 premieres tonight!
My dvr knows!
Old 10-09-13, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Don't know if it was posted here or not but Scream Factory is having a daily sale on horror.
http://www.shoutfactory.com/ThePriceIsFrightSale

Movies update at 9am PST
Old 10-09-13, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by ntnon
If you get round to doing a list & availability, do post it here, please.

I've tried to do it in the past and given up at least once... I began by getting confused about who'd released what, and ended up getting annoyed by Warner Bros. (and myself) for there being three different box-released versions of several, and no releases of others... Taste the Blood of Dracula and Horror of Frankenstein, for instance. I have several copies of each, but none of most of the other Frankensteins.
If you look back in the Part 1 of the thread, I believe Bob'O'Link posted a comprehensive list of all the movies. I have to go back and look for it as I stupidly didn't print it out when he posted it.
Did I? Man... If I did I absolutely do not remember doing that this year! I believe I *did* post a list of Hammer titles last year but it's nowhere as comprehensive/complete as the one I did for the Universal Horror films.

The Hammer list I have is pretty complete as far as what they released under the Horror banner and includes the year of release but doesn't include specific information about releases. That's mainly because I managed to purchase copies of most of them before the Anchor Bay versions went OOP. At one point I started to put the release information in the list but like nton gave up due to jumble of multi-film sets and oddball stuff. I believe the only release information I have in that list is for those few titles I've not yet acquired.

In any event, if anyone is interested I'll post it when I get home tonight.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.