Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Old 10-07-13, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

I seem to remember that someone had a list of GP-rated films... anyone know where that is, by any chance..?
Old 10-07-13, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

IMDB use to have a useful search feature, but apparently I'm no longer seeing the Advanced Search option... shame.
Originally Posted by pacaway View Post
Maybe there's an argument to be made there. Are there wild-cards in this challenge?
Wild Cards were debated earlier but they are indicated in the original post so I assume we still get 3 wild cards (no change) but had thought about asking myself.
Originally Posted by mightysparks View Post
Well, I can't say it was amazing, but Dead Heat. It was a lot better than I expected and it was a lot of fun.
Good call, I like Dead Heat too.
Old 10-07-13, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Undeadcow View Post
IMDB use to have a useful search feature, but apparently I'm no longer seeing the Advanced Search option... shame.
There's a link to 'search' at the bottom of the page that gets you there, or: http://www.imdb.com/search/
Old 10-07-13, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by ntnon View Post
I wrote a big long piece about just how good Repo! is, and apparently it didn't post. Anyway, it's really good: the whole cast does an excellent job
I watched this for the first time last year and thought it was great for all the reasons you stated so well.

Originally Posted by Gobear View Post
My copy of Repo! has two commentaries: director and actors, and director and composers. The Blu-Ray is only $8.81 on Amazon right now, so get it!
I did pick up the Blu-Ray at that low low price even though I don't have a Blu-Ray player yet. I liked it that much and figure I'll get a player one of these days.

What first time viewing was the standout this month?
For me so far it's Pumpkinhead (yeah, never saw that before) and The Entity.
Old 10-07-13, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by ntnon View Post
I seem to remember that someone had a list of GP-rated films... anyone know where that is, by any chance..?
That may have been me. I posted several IMDB links last year with such information.

Basically use the IMDB "advanced search" which is somewhat hidden (I have it bookmarked):

http://www.imdb.com/search/title

Then select "Horror" as your genre and "PG" (or another rating - but "M" and "GP" are not listed - see more below) for the rating. You'll get:

http://www.imdb.com/search/title?cer...&genres=horror

You can then easily change the rating in the URL to match others or the ones that aren't listed on the search page. Using the example above change the "pg" in the section =us%3Apg to the rating you need. Make it "m" for "Mature", gp for "GP"

So for your "Horror" films that received a "GP" rating your link looks like this:

http://www.imdb.com/search/title?cer...&genres=horror
Old 10-07-13, 12:13 PM

After finding out that the movie I watched on crackle.com this morning (Smash Cut) was ALSO a Canadian film, I've decided to add little flags beside the Canadian movies in my list. This was a weird slasher/comedy horror about a movie director who uses real body parts so his special effects are better. Wasn't too bad. Fairly gory and VERY low budget. Streamed it from a free service anyway, so it was definitely worth the money I paid!
Old 10-07-13, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent View Post
Tonight was my first (or maybe greatest) treat of the challenge thus far: Frankenstein's Army. I was skeptical due to all the hype and press this film was getting, but holly crap is it fun. A pure entertainment treasure. And the best part is all of the SFX are on screen, which was no easy task for Unreal.

Imaginative, unique, fantastical, and at times truly mesmerizing. Highly recommend watching, or even buying. Blind buy for me, and probably my best blind buy to date.
I've never heard of Frankenstein's Army (don't watch a lot of "live" TV and tend to ignore commercials anyway) and stumbled across that film this morning while looking at "Movies and TV recommended for you" on Amazon (yeah... bored). The cover looked really cool so I looked it up on IMDB then read the review on Rogerebert.com and one here on dvdtalk. While neither paints a glowing picture a couple of comments make me want to watch this one:

Adam Tyner @ dvdtalk.com
Frankenstein's legion of ZomBots -- y'know, undead cyborgs -- look like what you'd get if the SS were designing an entire season's worth of steampunk monsters for Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, and I absolutely mean that in a good way...

The craftsmanship and imagination that propel the film really are remarkable, and the extensive makeup effects work -- all practical and in-camera too! -- is every bit as goopy and gruesome as you'd hope it'd be...

The inspired creature designs and barrel drums of splatter throughout Frankenstein's Army are so brilliant that everything else is hopelessly overshadowed. Before the 'Burnt Match Man' first reared his electrified little head, I found myself completely sucked into the film.
Matt Zoller Seitz @ rogerebert.com
At its worst, the action scenes suggest a re-enactment of a halfway decent first-person shooter game. At their best they have a sinuous, horrible beauty, with the creatures galumphing through gloom and smoke. From some angles they look like human-sized versions of the monsters Godzilla used to fight during the glory years of Toho Studios. This is good: I'd rather watch model-shop ingenuity than another $200 million CGI slugfest between superheroes or robots. Even the worst analog monsters betray a human touch.
It sounds like a real hoot in spite of my general dislike for "found footage" type films. I'll probably be adding a copy of this to my collection - total blind buy.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 10-07-13 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10-07-13, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My weekend was not as productive as I had hoped, was only able to watch 2 movies a night. On Friday I watched American Mary which was pretty good. Then I watched Pulse, the Japanese version, which is one of my all-time favorite horror movies. Just so well done. I've seen it so many times that it doesn't even spook me out, but I love the visuals and music so much that it's still fun to watch.

On Saturday I went out and saw Insidious 2 which I really enjoyed. I thought the first one was great, yes even the final act, and same with The Conjuring. I think James Wan is really on a roll, which is interesting because I didn't really care for Saw. Insidious 2 continues with some good scares and likable characters. I loved the look of this film, it had some great lighting in the house. I loved the use of red and neon hues. It's interesting to me that Wan's movies can be so scary without actually killing off any, or many, of the characters. It's an interesting contrast to the slasher that kill people left and right, but I don't think they are as scary.

Then I watched the Town That Dreaded Sundown, I'll post my thoughts in the discussion thread for that.

I didn't have access to The Lords of Salem so I ended up watching 11/11/11 and it was okay. I like religious horror flicks like The Prophecy, and this one had some creepy moments, although the main character was a bit annoying. I'm not religious but I got annoyed at how often the main character had to remind everybody that he's not into religion. The movie kind of hit us over the head with its themes, but overall it was pretty decent. It's a shame that so few of the "Splat Pack" films were streaming on Netflix, I was hoping for a better variety to choose from.

Looking forward to the Black Sleep tonight. Tor Johnson.
Old 10-07-13, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What first time viewing was the standout this month?

So far for me it's been Spider Baby, Mama, and V/H/S/2.The more I keep hearing about Frankenstein's Army the more I want to see it. The trailer looks really good but that cheesy cover art isn't doing it any favors at a glance.

Hmmm, I've never scene that picture before. The cover of the BD/DVD is much better:

(Large pic)
Spoiler:

By far my fav FTV this challenge.

Originally Posted by BobO'Link View Post
I've never heard of Frankenstein's Army (don't watch a lot of "live" TV and tend to ignore commercials anyway) and stumbled across that film this morning while looking at "Movies and TV recommended for you" on Amazon (yeah... bored).
Never saw a commercial or anything, but I do buy/read a lot of horror mags and between AICN and a few other entertainment sights, the film was really the big thing at the time it caught my attention.

Even made the cover of Fango:

Now granted, it's not a perfect movie, and yeah it does have that first person shooter thing going at times, but it is a lot of fun to watch, and the SFX are just amazing considering that everything you see happening is really there (by use of the "physical" effects). Even the found footage element is presented well, and the single shots that are achieved are a spectacle of their own. I totally geek out on the techniques achieved in the film.
Old 10-07-13, 01:20 PM

...Smash Cut... This was a weird slasher/comedy horror about a movie director who uses real body parts so his special effects are better. Wasn't too bad. Fairly gory and VERY low budget. Streamed it from a free service anyway, so it was definitely worth the money I paid!
Smash Cut was a 2010 subset selection; it's fun as a comedy and I appreciated it more once I realized it was a homage to H.G. Lewis films. Here's a link to the old discussion thread FWIW: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews...-day-19-a.html
There's a link to 'search' at the bottom of the page that gets you there, or: http://www.imdb.com/search/
Thank you; also to Bob'OLink.
Old 10-07-13, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

...Now granted, it's not a perfect movie, and yeah it does have that first person shooter thing going at times, but it is a lot of fun to watch, and the SFX are just amazing considering that everything you see happening is really there (by use of the "physical" effects). Even the found footage element is presented well, and the single shots that are achieved are a spectacle of their own. I totally geek out on the techniques achieved in the film.
Comments I read about *no* CGI and the costumes/makeup being *real* stood out for me too. I'm far more appreciative of films that do things "old school" as it shows true craft. I watch a CGI film and there's no sense of wonder or amazement, no "WOW! How'd they do *that*!" present.
Old 10-07-13, 02:18 PM

Yeah, the effects are good. I love practical effects. The director was also very enthusiastic about it and it was clearly made with love. It was one my most anticipated for FrightFest but it was a big let down for me I just didn't feel the found footage thing was utilised well and I also agree that it felt like a shooter.
Old 10-07-13, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Watched a movie during lunch that freaked my shit - Sinister (2012). Other than a small part of the ending, I loved it. Extremely creepy and eerie.
Old 10-07-13, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Watched Don Siegel's Invasion of the Body Snatchers on my lunch break. I first watched and fell in love with it years ago on TCM. The film really holds up and is one of the most disconcerting films I've ever seen. The thought that someone could not be themselves but a masquerading entity freaks me out. This was a theme in the Supernatural episode "Skin" which also freaked me out.

I've been having a blast reading the list thread. So many of you are very creative with your lists and comments. I've now got some ideas about sprucing up my own list.
Old 10-07-13, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I found the Wishmaster sequels are on Fearnet On Demand in HD, and having thought the first one is a half decent movie I gave part 2 a chance... it wasn't good. Now I'm making the mistake of watching part 3 and at that point I may as well just finish out part 4. I've made a mistake.
Old 10-07-13, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mrcellophane View Post
I've been having a blast reading the list thread. So many of you are very creative with your lists and comments. I've now got some ideas about sprucing up my own list.
Even though my list is fairly clean and not cluttered, I'm still ashamed that I can't come up with something more visually creative for it. Oh well, I think I'm the only person making a montage of all of the movies I'm watching this month so I don't feel too bad, it's actually pretty time consuming.
Old 10-07-13, 03:46 PM

Smash Cut was a 2010 subset selection; it's fun as a comedy and I appreciated it more once I realized it was a homage to H.G. Lewis films. Here's a link to the old discussion thread FWIW: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews...-day-19-a.htmlThank you; also to Bob'OLink.
Okay, that thread is hilarious! Such extreme polar opposite opinions! A VERY amusing thread read. Thanks for posting the link!
Old 10-07-13, 03:54 PM

V/H/S/2 is a really interesting movie because you're right some of it has been done many times before but I think that it was parodying the genre while still being creepy on it's own. That third segment was crazy and fun, definitely different - it was good but the first two felt more suspenseful/creepy then it switched to nuts WTF mode. A lot of the V/H/S/2 segments felt self-aware, the park segment seemed to bask in being derivative of other movies or the cheesy transparent special effects in the kids with cameras segment felt intentional to lampoon b-movies, while still being scary (damn those sirens and lights). Altogether V/H/S/2 has been a highlight of the challege so far for me; hopefully they make a third one.What first time viewing was the standout this month?

So far for me it's been Spider Baby, Mama, and V/H/S/2.The more I keep hearing about Frankenstein's Army the more I want to see it. The trailer looks really good but that cheesy cover art isn't doing it any favors at a glance. I'm sure if they were more transparent that Frankenstein's Army is the movie teased for years as Worst Case Scenario (which is still on some "greatest movies never made" type lists) then it'd do a lot better.
Hmmm, I've never scene that picture before. The cover of the BD/DVD is much better:

(Large pic)
Spoiler:

By far my fav FTV this challenge.

Never saw a commercial or anything, but I do buy/read a lot of horror mags and between AICN and a few other entertainment sights, the film was really the big thing at the time it caught my attention.

Even made the cover of Fango:

Now granted, it's not a perfect movie, and yeah it does have that first person shooter thing going at times, but it is a lot of fun to watch, and the SFX are just amazing considering that everything you see happening is really there (by use of the "physical" effects). Even the found footage element is presented well, and the single shots that are achieved are a spectacle of their own. I totally geek out on the techniques achieved in the film.
Frankenstein's Army and Worst case scenario are not the same movie.... WCS was never made... that was the movie he wanted to make... it only has a trailer
Old 10-07-13, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Darkgod View Post
Frankenstein's Army and Worst case scenario are not the same movie.... WCS was never made... that was the movie he wanted to make... it only has a trailer
I understand Worst Case Scenario (WCS) was never made but I wonder how many of the WCS ideas were "recycled" into Frankenstein's Army. It seems like Frankenstein's Army, and it's director, would have an interesting backstory related to some of the ideas and the failed funding of Worst Case Scenario to finally the green light for a different project (FA).
Old 10-07-13, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Day 6 blog entry is up. Some fun and some really bad crap. http://celluloidterror.blogspot.com/...013-day-6.html
Old 10-07-13, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Should I open and watch House of the Wolfman which I basically got for free or sell it online for buckets of cash?
Old 10-07-13, 04:33 PM

I understand Worst Case Scenario (WCS) was never made but I wonder how many of the WCS ideas were "recycled" into Frankenstein's Army. It seems like Frankenstein's Army, and it's director, would have an interesting backstory related to some of the ideas and the failed funding of Worst Case Scenario to finally the green light for a different project (FA).
I saw an interview were it was said the money from FA would be used to finance WCS.

and incase anyone hasnt seen the trailer for WCS...
Old 10-07-13, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Originally Posted by SterlingBen View Post
Should I open and watch House of the Wolfman which I basically got for free or sell it online for buckets of cash?
Sell and then
Spoiler:
download
Old 10-07-13, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn

Originally Posted by Spiderbite View Post
The movie looks pretty horrific to me. The situation scares the shit out of me. I don't see why movies like The Reef would count and Gravity would not. Chad?

Maybe there's an argument to be made there. Are there wild-cards in this challenge?
Can't speak for Gravity, but to quote the first page: "Just keep in mind that the #1 deciding factor regarding what counts is you and you alone."

And yes, we have the usual 3 wild cards.

Also a link on the bottom of the checklist. Just sayin'.

Anyway, a few highlights from the past couple of days:

Born of Fire - Alejandro Jodorowsky by way of Clive Barker?! Definitely my first experience with Islamic horror/mysticism. Flew right over my head, but still loved it. Subsequent viewing(s) required.

The Hanging Woman - Just good 'ole unapologetic atmospheric Spanish horror. I get the impression that Paul Naschy was the Bruce Campbell of his day; not due to his popularity, but for constantly being underutilized and lack of screen time.

Outpost: Black Sun - Enjoyed it more than the original despite being all over the place. Loses points for the blatant and very goofy Star Wars rip-off scene.

Cockneys vs Zombies - It's no Sean, but just pure fun. If Guy Ritchie directed a Zomedy, this is probably what you'd get. Pussy Galore in an old folks home and fighting the undead!
Old 10-07-13, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Darkgod View Post
My bad, I totally missed that you were referring to a whole different film.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.