Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-13, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Chainsaw Massacre 3D (2013) was a lot better than I expected despite totally ignoring Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2. I also caught Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 for the first time and really enjoyed the slapstick comedy and increased oddball antics but Bill Mosley nearly ruined things by being so stupidly over the top. I'm watching Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw Massacre III now and it seems pretty weak.

I may be due to re-watch of Excision but this is how I interpreted it...
Spoiler:
...the surgeon girl thinks she performed some miracle and was basking in the mother's reaction, which she totally mis-understood as high approval of her well intentioned attempts.
Man, we are way off on sooo many levels lol. I had HIGH expectations when I saw the 3D one and dragged my friend to see it at the late showing. Boy was I greatly disappointed in the acting, story, and just how bad everything this. However, I did like Bill Mosley in Part 2, but I enjoy his comedy and what he brings to the table.

As for Excision
Spoiler:
I got the ending from Wiki I think of somewhere reading reviews, thus how I came to that conclusion. I was a bit confused as when I saw it, she seemed to be basking and then after the mom flipped out she seemed to have turned a 180 and noticed what she did wrong. Made me confused because usually crazy people don't notice their mistakes that quickly.

As for people quitting because of posts and people questioning their life...here's my two cents just because I need a break from the movies. But I think the whole fun in this challenge is to talk with other people who enjoy horror movies. If I wanted to list every horror movie I watched in October, I can do it on Facebook (which I did 2 years ago). I mean if all you are going to do is list a movie (and maybe do a star rating but not much of a review) where is the fun in that? Come in, share your thoughts on the movie, tell us what you like and hated, and find new recommendations. What's the fun at making a list and not talking to other people in the challenge? It's like joining a fantasy sports league and not trash talking with the other members.

Anyways, back to movies...As much as I want to support Indy horror...I have to STOP blind buying movies just because it might be reasonably priced, has a cool cover, and description sounds fun. I should save my money for food (better enjoyment) or nice box sets of amazing horror films. Just watched The Evil Inside and while it has an interesting twist, kind of reminds me of The Ward, outside the main actress, the actors are just awful and characters suck. And sadly, the movie I picked out for today's theme is another blind buy: Paranormal Asylum.
Old 10-05-13, 04:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

I avoid buying anything unless I know I like it :P My mum used to buy me these cheap horror compilation packs and they were mostly agonizing to get through (fecking 'Fangs', ugh), but at least I got to see some random stuff that I'd have never watched otherwise.

My last random purchase was Freak Out because I loved Stalled and wanted to see everything else Dan Palmer and Christian James had done. Didn't love it, but it was pretty cool. I think I'll like it more on a rewatch in the future because it's kind of random. There were some cool special features on the DVD though, so it was worth the purchase.
Old 10-05-13, 04:56 AM

That's actually a flaw of mine as well. I find myself in need of a fresh new horror film, so I'll do the blind buy thing. Big mistake since I know that the odds are stacked against me that the film is any good. So I may watch them once and never bother with them again or (and this happens a lot) the film is so horrid I can't even get to the end. Either case it's a big waste of money for me if I can't enjoy the film occasionally.
Never heard of American Mary before, and with many stating how good the film was I decided to go out and get a copy myself. I found the film highly enjoyable. Thanks everyone
Old 10-05-13, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

As for my best and worst of the day yesterday, the best ones were probably a tie between Exorcismus and 28 Days Later. Both were first time views. I have to say the 2nd film almost reminded me of The Crazies. The worst was probably Maniac, a very low budget 1934 movie from one of my 50 movie packs.

As for people leaving, I'm just going to say that I am sad to see that drama has already forced one newcomer to quit the challenge so early in because one person questioned his list.
Old 10-05-13, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Did anyone consider that when you watch 9 or 10 movies a day, there's not much time left in the day to post? It takes a lot of time to read this thread because SO many people are posting. If you have set a high goal for yourself you just don't have time left for this forum. I'm averaging only 1 film a day and am finding it hard. Everyone's lives and motivation are different. Because one person can't enjoy the challenge without reviewing every film doesn't mean that's true for everyone. Who does it hurt? Live and let live. And as for requiring a certain number of posts to participate in a challenge... Wha??? Is this a movie challenge or a creative writing challenge? Besides, would you rather read 1 post from someone who wanted to write something, or 50 posts from someone who felt forced to write them?

Anyway, enough of that.

Back to the fun, thanks for the reminder that the Killer Tomatoes movies can be counted as horror. They're just so funny (the couple I've seen anyway), I never even considered it.

Love Katherine Isabelle, love the Ginger Snaps films (just watched them all again during the sci-fi challenge), enjoyed American Mary. Three cheers for Canadian horror films! I think it's time to drag out Black Christmas again!

Last edited by pacaway; 10-05-13 at 07:18 AM.
Old 10-05-13, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

I see I've flipped over to being a Senior Member. Why do so many things have to remind me of how old I am?

Now see the kind of crap messages you have to read when someone feels compelled to pad their post count?
Old 10-05-13, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by jacob_b
As for people quitting because of posts and people questioning their life...here's my two cents just because I need a break from the movies. But I think the whole fun in this challenge is to talk with other people who enjoy horror movies. If I wanted to list every horror movie I watched in October, I can do it on Facebook (which I did 2 years ago). I mean if all you are going to do is list a movie (and maybe do a star rating but not much of a review) where is the fun in that? Come in, share your thoughts on the movie, tell us what you like and hated, and find new recommendations. What's the fun at making a list and not talking to other people in the challenge? It's like joining a fantasy sports league and not trash talking with the other members.
My thoughts exactly. I might not post a ton during the challenge, but I do tend to pop in to discuss what I've watched. It goes back to what I've been saying all along...participation. Anyhoo...

Last night was my worst night of the challenge so far. I couldn't stay awake for anything. I fell asleep about 20 minutes into my first pick. I ended up having to basically restart the movie when I woke up. A bit later in the evening, that same thing happened again with my third pick. I eventually finished 3 movies, but it was almost midnight before I did. I'd started a 4th, but conked out again right after starting. And all this is happening AFTER drinking a bunch of coffee. Sometimes, the body just needs to shut down. Hopefully, I can get back on track tonight.

As for what I've been watching lately, I'd like to suggest that people steer clear of Mr. Hush and Heebie Jeebies. Mr. Hush was beyond terrible. The lead actor just insisted on alternating between shouting his lines and barely being audible. It made volume control a bitch. I seem to recall someone, somewhere saying that this movie was good. I need to find them and smack them for those lies. Heebie Jeebies wasn't terrible...just stupid.
Old 10-05-13, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

Rented World War Z last night and wondered why it got such decent criticism and made decent bank at the box office. This movie was done WAY better when it was called 28 Days Later and 28 Weeks Later.

So has anyone watched the Night Of The Living Dead 3D (2006) remake with Sid Haig. It is beyond terrible. I should have know better but sometime my curiosity leads me to watch very poor horror films.
Old 10-05-13, 07:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This challenge wouldn't be as fun if I couldn't come here and read what everyone is saying and get ideas for what to watch and share my thoughts. Last year Mightysparks and I and some others had a GREAT discussion about why rape, when well done, can enhance a horror movie without being exploitative, and that discussion was so much fun I nearly peed my pants. THAT is what makes the challenge worthwhile for me.

On another note, I finally got the Netflix app to work on my phone, so I can watch movies on my phone now! Woo-hoo! Freedom to run around the house without having to pause the movie!
Old 10-05-13, 07:39 AM

My favorite for the 4th day was "The Bride of Frankenstein." I love that movie and decided to watch it again after watching two less than stellar movies in a row ("Trapped Ashes" and "11/11/11").
Old 10-05-13, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by edwardnortonfan
Last year Mightysparks and I and some others had a GREAT discussion about why rape, when well done, can enhance a horror movie without being exploitative, and that discussion was so much fun I nearly peed my pants. THAT is what makes the challenge worthwhile for!
Haha. That was a good discussion, I ended up in argument about the same thing a few months later and referred to some comments made.

Some themes like that are hard to discuss in a normal environment because only horror fans seem to 'get' them. So it was a nice change to have a proper debate about it.
Old 10-05-13, 08:05 AM

Started today with Hack-O-Lantern, a cheesy slasher my old video store had under the alternate title, Halloween Night. I never got around to renting it, so nice to see it on Youtube. The movie itself is nothing special, but there's some entertaining camp on display. For whatever reason, it randomly stops dead at one point to let some moron do his stand-up "comedy" routine for what feels like forever. An okay time-killer at best.

I was going to save In the Shadow of Kilimanjaro for the killer ape theme, but it also fits today's, so I pulled out my VHS for a revisit. An underrated film with convincing baboon attacks and beautiful Kenyan scenery. Always loved the poster art for this one too.
Old 10-05-13, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Started today with a mockumentary on Chiller, Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon. He lives in a world where Freddy, Jason and Michael are real and he idolizes them. Had a couple what the moments, but for the most part was a pretty good movie.
Old 10-05-13, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by mightysparks
I avoid buying anything unless I know I like it :P
Originally Posted by 3onameathook
I find myself in need of a fresh new horror film, so I'll do the blind buy thing. Big mistake since I know that the odds are stacked against me that the film is any good.
For the most part I'm in the same camp as mightysparks. Like 3onameathook I've found that many of my horror blind buys have been mistakes so I *try* to not make that type of purchase. Of course, people here chime in on a title, reviews sound good, and I'll make the blind buy anyway. That method currently has about a 50/50 chance of turning up a title I'll like. Fortunately I've learned genre preferences of many participants based on past comments and can generally filter out stuff that's just "not my thing". All that to simply say, participation in the discussion threads is what makes that possible and not just reading comments from others. It works both ways as once others know your tastes they can comfortably recommend films you may have overlooked.

Last night I hit the first of the Universal Horror talkies with Dracula (1931) - In spite of the massive changes from book to screen, this is a favorite that I could watch once a month without it ever getting old. Certain scenes are so effective they *still* give me chills 50 years after first watching the film. While I hate that he became mostly type-cast for the roll, Lugosi was born to play Dracula. Yes, there've been other good screen Dracula's but IMHO Lugosi is still the best.

I followed that with Drácula (1931 - Spanish version). It's a very interesting production that grows on me with each viewing. It was filmed at night on the same sets used for the Lugosi Dracula. Much is the same but there are also differences. It also has a longer running time (almost 30 minutes!) which allows more character and plot development. I still prefer the Lugosi version but this one is very good and worth a viewing if you're a fan of the Vampire/Dracula genre/legacy.

This morning began with Frankenstein (1931). Another favorite film that still defines the genre. However, this is one that, for me, suffers by my viewing methods this time around. It so perfectly seques into Bride of Frankenstein (1935) that I've pretty much come to look at the pair of films as a single work and typically view them back-to-back. Not so this time... I have 6 more films to screen before Bride! Not that that's a bad thing... after all, one of those is The Mummy (1932) and another is The Invisible Man (1933). I even have a rare-for-me-considering-the-era first viewing coming up with Murders in the Zoo.

I must rush off for a cuppa and to start Murders in the Rue Morgue (1932). Oh... I must add that it's going to be a rainy day/night here and my den is nice and dark. A perfect day for watching horror... It's going to be a *great* day of films at my house!

Last edited by BobO'Link; 10-05-13 at 08:30 AM.
Old 10-05-13, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
Very interesting. I could see him being really effective on stage in the role.
Langella left the Broadway production when his contract ran out and was replaced by Raul Julia, who was a pretty good Dracula too.
Old 10-05-13, 09:24 AM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jacob_b
So Day 4 is just about over for most people. What was everyone's favorites and most hated movies of the night?
Loved American Mary. Best movie of the day for me. I had it on my potential list before the subset list came out, but who knows if I would have gotten to it. My potential list is well over 130 movies, not including the "must watch" list.

The Human Centipede was the worst for me. It wasn't horrible, just not for me. It wasn't scary, just gross. I could literally feel my stomach turning.

Originally Posted by shellebelle
I surprised myself with Hatchet. Totally enjoyed it. Loved the humor in it.
I was totally surprised by Hatchet the first time I watched it too. It definitely delivers more than expected and the cast was great.
Old 10-05-13, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Rented World War Z last night and wondered why it got such decent criticism and made decent bank at the box office. This movie was done WAY better when it was called 28 Days Later and 28 Weeks Later.
I haven't seen World War Z yet. I went to the theater and everything, but it was completely sold out (quite the feat for a film in central Oklahoma). However, from what I've heard, it is quite disappointing, especially if you are a fan of Max Brooks's book. The book is absolutely brilliant. I've read it a couple of times, listened to the audiobook a number of times, and even used sections to introduce ethical argument to a writing course. I will say that every time I see the poster, Brad Pitt's scarf puts a smile on my face - so metro, so impractical.
Old 10-05-13, 09:37 AM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by edwardnortonfan
My favorite for the 4th day was "The Bride of Frankenstein." I love that movie and decided to watch it again after watching two less than stellar movies in a row ("Trapped Ashes" and "11/11/11").
Trapped Ashes and 11/11/11 are both on my definite list, as the only movies I could find to fill some theme nights. That is unfortunate.
Old 10-05-13, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by PCBreakdown
Trapped Ashes and 11/11/11 are both on my definite list, as the only movies I could find to fill some theme nights. That is unfortunate.
I mean, "Trapped Ashes" was okay, it's just basically the original "Tales from the Crypt" movie with more juvenile "humor" thrown in. I guess I was expecting too much. It wasn't terrible or anything though. And as far as "11/11/11" it's The Asylum, so it's going to be cheesy horror with bad acting. I did like it better than the theatrical "11-11-11" that I watched last year, so that was a plus.
Old 10-05-13, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Started today with a mockumentary on Chiller, Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon. He lives in a world where Freddy, Jason and Michael are real and he idolizes them. Had a couple what the moments, but for the most part was a pretty good movie.
I love that movie. I blind-bought it when it came out on DVD and just loved every minute of it. There are a few weak moments, but overall I have a blast every time I watch that one.
Old 10-05-13, 10:33 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Watched the entire first season of Hannibal for the challenge. LOVED IT! Mads Mikkelsen is a perfect Hannibal Lechter and has the perfect "stone face" (ala Buster Keaton).

Interesting to read that Season 4 will be the events of Red Dragon.
Old 10-05-13, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

I get the 10-11 movies a day is doable... but everyday instead of just the weekend is a chore. Also the fact that he had 2 posts, 1 to list dubious ammounts of movie, and 2 to quit when challenged. Last year mightsparks was challenged, and she answered and kept on plugging along.
Old 10-05-13, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

I love cheesy ghost docudramas; they're so over the top it's hypnotizing. Unconvincing witnesses blab on about creepy events without emotion followed by sleazy "paranormal investigators" ranting out "scientific" "theories" without any apparent credibility intersected with Lifetime movie quality re-enactments. Discovery Channel's series, A Haunting, is really a great thing. Despite the dubious content these sometimes scare me more than anything else.
Old 10-05-13, 10:55 AM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Body Melt is one seriously odd movie. Well done and very creative gore effects a few of which I found totally disgusting (but in a good way), some dark humor that got real laughs from me and a thread of social satire that for once was not heavy handed and totally distracting. For the first 40 minutes or so it seemed like two or three different movies going but it does get tied together in the end. The kind of movie that grows on you the more you think about it.
Old 10-05-13, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
I love cheesy ghost docudramas; they're so over the top it's hypnotizing. Unconvincing witnesses blab on about creepy events without emotion followed by sleazy "paranormal investigators" ranting out "scientific" "theories" without any apparent credibility intersected with Lifetime movie quality re-enactments. Discovery Channel's series, A Haunting, is really a great thing. Despite the dubious content these sometimes scare me more than anything else.
I've watched a couple ghost shows this year so far, an episode of Ghost Lab on Netflix, and an episode of A Haunting on Destination America.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.