Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Review of Movies 4 You-(More)Sci Fi Classics(MGM)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 09-13-13, 07:24 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just received my 2 discs, one for each package (4 movies to a disc.) The first is Sci Fi Classics in SD and contains:

The Man from Planet X-The picture is darker than the Midnight Movie print, same AR.

Beyond the Time Barrier-It's a step up from the Cheezy Flix print and both are 1.37:1.

The Time Travelers-This hasn't been released on SD yet, but the print is quite nice with good colors. It's shown at 1.66:1 and is slightly window boxed (small black lines on top and bottom.)

The Angry Red Planet-The picture is much darker than the Midnight print, colors are slightly lighter. Both are 1.37:1, but IMDB says 1.66:1?

(It has stills from all the movies in the extras section and all are quite good.)

The second is More Sci Fi Classics and contains:

The Amazing Transparent Man-Roan put out a good version, but it's much darker and this print you can see everything. It's window boxed at 1.66:1, but the Roan version is 1.85:1 (IMDB 1.85:1?)Now here's a big difference between the two and I don't know which one is correct. The MGM version starts with the opening logo, goes to some scenes and then shows the title and credits. The Roan version, starts with the logo, goes to the title and THEN goes to the scenes. I think this that's the correct way it should be seen.

Reptilicus-The picture has brighter colors and is slightly darker than The Midnight Movie version. The MGM version is zoomed in and the Midnight Movie version is zoomed out, I wonder why? The Midnight version looks the best. Both are 1.37:1.

The Neanderthal Man-Looks pretty good, a little soft, in 1.85:1. Nothing to compare it to.

The Brain that Wouldn't Die-The picture is zoomed in, window boxed and is 1.66:1. The Synapse version shows all the picture, is window boxed, not zoomed in and is the uncensored version...this I don't understand and I'll explain. I like the Synapse version the best.

(It has stills from all the movies and has a foreign scene in the extras section.) This is a nude scene of a model with a bunch of photographers snapping her picture. She is completely nude and this nude scene has not been incorporated into the film. In the Synapse version, it says its the uncensored edition, but this same model is in a polka dotted bikini, no nudity anywhere. So how is it an uncensored version? Edit: I see that 15 minutes were added to the Synapse version, but not the nude version. Don't know if they were added to this version.

I bet some kid is gonna buy this and his parents are gonna raise hell when they find this out. Kinda like Swamp Thing European version. First hand knowledge. Watching with my 6 year grandson and she pops out of the water...I was so embarrassed.

All in all, both are worth the $5 apiece if only for Beyond the Time Barrier, The Amazing Transparent Man, The Time Travelers, The Neanderthal Man and of course the foreign nude scene...that lady is a beauty!!!

I compared these films in my HT thru an ISF'd Epson 9500 UB PJ to a Panny BD30 and a HDA1 shown on a 110" JKP Affinity Screen, of course both players are upscaling.

None of these movies have an individual run time, only a total run time for all four.

Last edited by sparks; 09-20-13 at 10:15 PM.
Old 09-16-13, 07:24 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Review of Movies 4 You-(More)Sci Fi Classics(MGM)

ttt
Old 09-18-13, 10:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Review of Movies 4 You-(More)Sci Fi Classics(MGM)

Thanks for the review, it's enough to push me to order these and more of the released 4 packs. I'd be doing it now if I weren't moving at the end of the month. Dammit! Waiting would not be a big deal except that I fear the angry mom out there and how fast she can move to save her little innocent from the big bad boobs.