Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Old 09-19-13, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/3

Originally Posted by Chad
The Subset List So Far...

2. The Dark Side of the Moon (1990) (Made-For-TV Horror Movies) (Undeadcow) YouTube
Unfortunately The Dark Side of the Moon (1990) is not a made-for-tv movie, it was a direct to video release.

In it's place I primarily suggest the seemingly atmospheric made-for-tv ghost story Don't Go To Sleep (1982), YouTube streaming @ www.youtube.com/watch?v=THertTupIyI

As a alternate pick, if necessary, there's the HBO original film H.P. Lovecraft detective homage Cast A Deadly Spell (1991) [streaming on YouTube @ www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrzAuj2AK4Q.

Both the above are "blind" suggestions based on IMDB ratings.
Edit: Thanks to J. Farley, below, for clarifying Screams of a Winter Night.
Spoiler:
FWIW, these are not subset suggestions but I also found seemingly worthy contenders for TV theme day in The Woman in Black (1989) [streaming on YouTube: www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eQ5sFNUg9M or The Day of the Triffids (1981) [streaming on YouTube: www.youtube.com/watch?v=or3ygBd56gg
or Hulu www.hulu.com/day-of-the-triffids]. Maybe The Stone Tape (1972) which is on Veoh(?) or $1.99 Amazon streaming rental.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 09-19-13 at 10:40 AM.
Old 09-19-13, 10:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/3

^ Haha, I was just about to comment on that. I think the confusion stemmed from my recommendation of The Dark Side of the Moon and mentioning it as one of my unpicked subset films from last year. Sorry about contributing to a mix-up. And no, Screams of a Winter Night wasn't made for TV either.
Old 09-19-13, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by jacob_b
Why the hate on Zombie? His films are pretty decent (even the Halloween films when you check out the Director's Cut) and he has placed a lot of actors back on the map.
Because I hate his movies. They are trashy, self-indulgent, and unimaginative. He's like the worst example of a new filmmaker just out of film school, who doesn't know what he's doing so he overcompensates by pushing style over substance. The problem is that the style isn't even compelling. I'll never forget a scene in the House of 1000 Corpses where he inverted the colors FOR NO REASON. It added nothing to the movie and simply burned my retinas. His movies feature bad acting, worse dialogue, and no sense of horror or suspense.
Old 09-19-13, 02:44 PM

Received 224 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Please don't make us watch a Rob Zombie movie.
Originally Posted by jacob_b
Why the hate on Zombie? His films are pretty decent (even the Halloween films when you check out the Director's Cut) and he has placed a lot of actors back on the map.
Because I hate his movies. They are trashy, self-indulgent, and unimaginative. He's like the worst example of a new filmmaker just out of film school, who doesn't know what he's doing so he overcompensates by pushing style over substance. The problem is that the style isn't even compelling. I'll never forget a scene in the House of 1000 Corpses where he inverted the colors FOR NO REASON. It added nothing to the movie and simply burned my retinas. His movies feature bad acting, worse dialogue, and no sense of horror or suspense.
If we're picking sides, I'm with DaveyJoe. Zombie's HALLOWEEN remake is my least-favorite movie of all time (and that's saying a lot, considering that it unseated ARMAGEDDON after 9 years at the bottom)--it's so awful (for all the reasons DaveyJoe stated and more) that I now avoid all of Zombie's stuff as if it were virulently contagious.
Old 09-19-13, 03:01 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Another Rob Zombie film hater here, but I'm open to trying him again.

On Ice Terrors, can someone verify if the below are on Netflix streaming please?

Christmas Evil (1980)
Saint (2011)
Old 09-19-13, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I like The Devil's Rejects. Everything else is ok at best or horrible at worst. Lords of Salem is the worst, much worse than any of the Halloweens were.
Old 09-19-13, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
Another Rob Zombie film hater here, but I'm open to trying him again.

On Ice Terrors, can someone verify if the below are on Netflix streaming please?

Christmas Evil (1980)
Saint (2011)

Christmas Evil (1980) is not on Netflix; but it is on Youtube (www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhebRU5DUQs).
Saint (2011) was previously used as a subset pick last year.

In my opinion it's more likely something will not be on NetFlix than it is.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 09-19-13 at 04:36 PM.
Old 09-19-13, 03:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Out of almost 4000 movies I've seen, I've rated about 40 of those movies a 10/10 - House of 1000 Corpses is one of those. Just love it. The Devil's Rejects is great too. Halloween was meh though.
Old 09-19-13, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Devil's Reject's wasn't terrible. I'm gonna reserve any judgement on House of 1,000 Corpses until the director's cut is released. Any day now...

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Also here is Killer Tongue streaming
http://veehd.com/video/4551815_The-K...-Englund-Jonat
may have to install a plugin (have never used this site personally)
Supposedly there's a way to bypass the download.

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Where is the theme list?
On the first post of the list thread. I'll eventually add links to the first post of the discussion thread, and the actual table on the second.

Originally Posted by cwileyy
Since my pick has been switched out, I'd love to take the Evil Families theme and use "Blood Diner", if possible.

That is, however, only if jacob_b is hosting "In Their Skin" for the Home Invasion theme as it states in Chad's recent post, and not using "House of 1000 Corpses" as he has recently suggested.
Done.

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Unfortunately The Dark Side of the Moon (1990) is not a made-for-tv movie, it was a direct to video release.

In it's place I primarily suggest the seemingly atmospheric made-for-tv ghost story Don't Go To Sleep (1982), YouTube streaming @ www.youtube.com/watch?v=THertTupIyI

As a alternate pick, if necessary, there's the HBO original film H.P. Lovecraft detective homage Cast A Deadly Spell (1991) [streaming on YouTube @ www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrzAuj2AK4Q.

Both the above are "blind" suggestions based on IMDB ratings.
Edit: Thanks to J. Farley, below, for clarifying Screams of a Winter Night.
Spoiler:
FWIW, these are not subset suggestions but I also found seemingly worthy contenders for TV theme day in The Woman in Black (1989) [streaming on YouTube: www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eQ5sFNUg9M or The Day of the Triffids (1981) [streaming on YouTube: www.youtube.com/watch?v=or3ygBd56gg
or Hulu www.hulu.com/day-of-the-triffids]. Maybe The Stone Tape (1972) which is on Veoh(?) or $1.99 Amazon streaming rental.

Originally Posted by J. Farley
^ Haha, I was just about to comment on that. I think the confusion stemmed from my recommendation of The Dark Side of the Moon and mentioning it as one of my unpicked subset films from last year. Sorry about contributing to a mix-up. And no, Screams of a Winter Night wasn't made for TV either.
That's most likely the case. Although, I still don't know why I associated it with being a made-for-TV movie.

Anyway, Don't Go To Sleep is on the list.
Old 09-19-13, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Zombie is one of the few directors of the past decade, 2003-2013, to really impress me with a horror movie that I could add to my all time favorite horror movie list. So I consider him a favorite.
Old 09-19-13, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Jeez I liked the Rob Zombie Halloween. I held off on #2, which I just got a few weeks ago on blu, for the challenge.
Old 09-19-13, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Just waiting to get the prizes I'm donating in hand to say what they are and send a pic.
Old 09-19-13, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
Jeez I liked the Rob Zombie Halloween. I held off on #2, which I just got a few weeks ago on blu, for the challenge.
I didn't mind the first one but the second one got off to a really bad start for me. That chase scene you start off with was way too long for where it's placed. It'd be one thing to have it at the end but right at the beginning had me checking the time more than once just to see how long it had been going on.
Old 09-19-13, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone looking at different blu-rays to watch during the challenge, the new release for The Devil Bat is a winner. Check out my review here http://celluloidterror.blogspot.com/...view-kino.html
Old 09-19-13, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I like The Devil's Rejects, but thought House of 1000 Corpses was overhyped after hearing all my coworkers singing such high praise about it. Never seen his Halloween remakes.
Old 09-19-13, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
I didn't mind the first one but the second one got off to a really bad start for me. That chase scene you start off with was way too long for where it's placed. It'd be one thing to have it at the end but right at the beginning had me checking the time more than once just to see how long it had been going on.
Well at least I know how it starts now...I haven't seen it yet man! Sorry if I was unclear.

I don't like House of 1000 and though I don't think Devil's Rejects is a bad movie but it rubs me the wrong way, in many ways. I find it really mean spirited and I watch some mean movies.

I may try to catch Lords of Salem for the challenge as the fun for me in October is watching new things while still finding time to re-watch the Hammers!
Old 09-19-13, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by ntnon
Drat. Foiled again - I have Battle Royale, but no access to Severance...
Severance is on Netflix streaming; if you don't have streaming you could likely get a free trial for the month.
Old 09-19-13, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

T
H
E
M
E

N
I
G
H
T
S

?? LINKS OF SUB-GENRES & BEYOND

2009 LIST | 2010 LIST | 2011 LIST | 2012 LIST

GOAL: To Sync 100% with the 31 Film Subset!

OBVIOUS ALERT: Some links don't contain a complete listing of all films from that specific sub-genre and/or are outside the horror genre altogether.

DATE
THEME
EXAMPLES
Dawn of the Challenge Bonus Hours - Criterion Crossover Equinox, Antichrist, Eyes Without a Face, Kuroneko, Island of Lost Souls
Tuesday, October 1st Chronological Horror Years Faceoff - 1963 (50th) Vs. 1988 (25th) Dementia 13, They Live, Black Sabbath, Critters 2, Matango, Brain Damage
Wednesday, October 2nd Cathode Ray Tube: Retina of the Mind's Eye - Made-for-TV Horror Movies Gargoyles, The Night Stalker, Dark Night of the Scarecrow, It, Bad Ronald
Thursday, October 3rd Just When You Thought it Was Safe... - Aquatic Horror, 2 The Reef, Shock Waves, Rogue, Pirahna, Dagon, Alligator, The Host, Jaws
Friday, October 4th Disease, Decay, Mutilation & Mutation...It's No Vacation - Body Horror Videodrome, From Beyond, Society, Altered States, The Brood, Martyrs
Saturday, October 5th Inspiration Courtesy of Life's Depravities - "Inspired By True Events" Horror Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer, The Conjuring, Gothic, The Girl Next Door
Sunday, October 6th A Bit of the Old Ultra-Violence Nine - The Splat Pack: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 The Descent, High Tension, Dog Soldiers, Wolf Creek, The Lords of Salem
Monday, October 7th Blood Doesn't Always Run Red - B&W Horror Films The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, Psycho, The Mist, Freaks, Nosferatu, Repulsion
Tuesday, October 8th The Gentleman of Horror Turns 100 - Peter Cushing Centennial Horror Express, Twins of Evil, Asylum, The Brides of Dracula, The Skull
Wednesday, October 9th The Monkey Did It! - Killer Monkeys / Gorillas / Jungle Horrors Monkey Shines, Murders in the Rue Morgue, The Island, Dead Alive, Link
Thursday, October 10th Native Curses Bring On the Hearses - Native American / Horror Westerns Wendigo, The Manitou, Dust Devil, The Living Coffin, Curse of the Undead
Friday, October 11th Well Hello Mister Fancypants - Horror Comedies, 2, 3 Bad Milo, Comedy of Horrors, Hell Baby, Bad Taste, Juan of the Dead
Saturday, October 12th Headstrong and Ahead in the Game of Afterlife - Death By Decapitation Re-Animator, Cinemaphobia, The Omen, Halloween H20, Evil Dead II
Sunday, October 13th Burn It! Send it to Hell! Toys That Play w/ YOU - Killer Dolls / Puppets, 2, 3 Curse of Chucky, Dolls, Puppet Master III: Toulon's Revenge, Devil Doll
Monday, October 14th Light on Gore, Yet Enough to Piss the Floor - Family-Friendly Horror, 2, 3 The Monster Squad, The Gate, Gremlins, ParaNorman, The Lady in White
Tuesday, October 15th Old MacDonald Is No Saint; Farmville It Ain't - Harvest Horrors Motel Hell, Ghost Town, Scarecrows, The Child, The Other, Axe, Critters
Wednesday, October 16th Slippery When Wet. Deviously Psychotic? You Bet! - Ice Terrors Devil Times Five, Christmas Evil, Frostbitten, Dead Snow, Frozen, Curtains
Thursday, October 17th When a Stranger Calls From Inside the House - Telephone Terrors Black Christmas, Don't Answer the Phone, 976-EVIL, Ringu, Dead Air
Friday, October 18th Some T&A, Innuendo or Not-So-Gentle Foreplay - Erotic / Sexy Horror Films The Vampire Lovers, Mania, Angel Heart, Black Magic Rites, Possession
Saturday, October 19th BatShitCrazy Insane...Exact Opposite of Plain - Psychotronic Horror Films Microwave Massacre, Killer Condom, Hausu, Mystics in Bali, The Stuff
Sunday, October 20th Tru Blood and Glitter-Free Since 1734 A.D. - Vampires (Happy B-Day, Bela) Blood for Irina, Lifeforce, Byzantium, Dracula's Daughter, El Vampiro
Monday, October 21st Reading Minds 1 Blood-Curdling Scream At a Time - Psychic Abilities / ESP Village of the Damned, Sisters, Eyes of Laura Mars, The Shout, Seance
Tuesday, October 22nd Singing in the Rain While Inflicting the Pain - Musical / Rock 'n Roll Horror Repo! The Genetic Opera, Rockula, Black Roses, Rock 'n' Roll Nightmare
Wednesday, October 23rd Tyrannically Thrown Together Threesome of Terrifically Tantalizing Terrors -
Evil Families, 2, 3 -or- Class Warfare -or- Occult Detectives
Spider Baby, American Gothic, Frontiere(s), The Loved Ones, The Purge,
The Norliss Tapes, God Told Me To, I Walked With A Zombie, Candyman
Thursday, October 24th They Slice, Dice & Gut You Like a Fish - Slashers, 2 / Giallos / Serial Killers Hatchet III, Footprints on the Moon, The Short Night of the Glass Dolls
Friday, October 25th Mysterious Order of the Hallucinating Horrornauts - Mystery Horror Films All the Boys Love Mandy Lane, The Ghoul, Spirits of the Dead, Martyrs
Saturday, October 26th Mass Marathon of the Damned IV - Icons, 2 -&- Sequels: The Prequel 1. Brew Some Coffee. 2. Abandon Sleep. 3. Watch Whatever. 4. Survive.
Sunday, October 27th Privacy Invaded. Retribution Contemplated. - Home Invasion Horror You're Next, Martin, The Collection, Lady in a Cage, Haute Tension, Inside
Monday, October 28th They're Here and They're Clear - Supernatural / Haunted House / Ghost, 2 The Uninvited, Alucarda, Insidious: Chapter 2, The Entity, Ghost Story
Tuesday, October 29th Pop Culture Phenoms That Can't Take a Hint; Employed By Sprint - Zombies, 2 The Dead 2: India, Nightmare City, Burial Ground: The Nights of Terror
Wednesday, October 30th Demented Debauchery of Devil's Night Redux - Demonic Possession, 2 / Satanic Satánico Pandemonium, [REC]⁴ Apocalypse, Exorcismo, Abby, The Pix
Thursday, October 31st Something Good Will Eventually Go Here - Halloween Related Halloween III: Season of the Witch, Trick or Treat, The Midnight Hour
Copy & Paste Into Your List:
Spoiler:
--- 10/01: Chronological Horror Years Faceoff - 1963 (50th) Vs. 1988 (25th) -
--- 10/02: Cathode Ray Tube: Retina of the Mind's Eye - Made-for-TV Horror Movies -
--- 10/03: Just When You Thought it Was Safe... - Aquatic Horror -
--- 10/04: Disease, Decay, Mutilation & Mutation...It's No Vacation - Body Horror -
--- 10/05: Inspiration Courtesy of Life's Depravities - "Inspired By True Events" Horror -
--- 10/06: A Bit of the Old Ultra-Violence Nine - The Splat Pack -
--- 10/07: Blood Doesn't Always Run Red - B&W Horror Films -
--- 10/08: The Gentleman of Horror Turns 100 - Peter Cushing Centennial -
--- 10/09: The Monkey Did It! - Killer Monkeys / Gorillas / Jungle Horrors -
--- 10/10: Native Curses Bring On the Hearses - Native American / Horror Westerns -
--- 10/11: Well Hello Mister Fancypants - Horror Comedies -
--- 10/12: Headstrong and Ahead in the Game of Afterlife - Death By Decapitation -
--- 10/13: Burn It! Send it to Hell! Toys That Play w/ YOU - Killer Dolls / Puppets -
--- 10/14: Light on Gore, Yet Enough to Piss the Floor - Family-Friendly Horror -
--- 10/15: Old MacDonald Is No Saint; Farmville It Ain't - Harvest Horrors -
--- 10/16: Slippery When Wet. Deviously Psychotic? You Bet! - Ice Terrors -
--- 10/17: When a Stranger Calls From Inside the House - Telephone Terrors -
--- 10/18: Some T&A, Innuendo or Not-So-Gentle Foreplay - Erotic / Sexy Horror Films -
--- 10/19: BatShitCrazy Insane...Exact Opposite of Plain - Psychotronic Horror Films -
--- 10/20: Tru Blood and Glitter-Free Since 1734 A.D. - Vampires (Happy B-Day, Bela) -
--- 10/21: Reading Minds 1 Blood-Curdling Scream At a Time - Psychic Abilities / ESP -
--- 10/22: Singing in the Rain While Inflicting the Pain - Musical / Rock 'n Roll Horror -
--- 10/23: Tyrannically Thrown Together Threesome of Terrifically Tantalizing Terrors -
Evil Families -or- Class Warfare -or- Occult Detectives -
--- 10/24: They Slice, Dice & Gut You Like a Fish - Slashers, 2 / Giallos / Serial Killers -
--- 10/25: Mysterious Order of the Hallucinating Horrornauts - Mystery Horror Films -
--- 10/26: Mass Marathon of the Damned IV -Icons -&- Sequels: The Prequel -
--- 10/27: Privacy Invaded. Retribution Contemplated. - Home Invasion Horror -
--- 10/28: They're Here and They're Clear - Supernatural / Haunted House / Ghost -
--- 10/29: Pop Culture Phenoms That Can't Take a Hint; Employed By Sprint - Zombies -
--- 10/30: Demented Debauchery of Devil's Night Redux - Demonic Possession / Satanic -
--- 10/31: Something Good Will Eventually Go Here - Halloween Related -

T
H
E
M
E

N
I
G
H
T
S

Last edited by Chad; 09-21-13 at 01:09 PM.
Old 09-19-13, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

F
I
L
M

S
U
B
S
E
T

Syncs 100% with Theme Nights

STREAMING LINKS ARE PROVIDED IN THE THREADS

2008 LIST | 2009 LIST | 2010 LIST | 2011 LIST | 2012 LIST | HFC LIST

DATE
MOVIE
PARTICIPANT
DISCUSSION THREAD
Any Day of the Month Any Theatrical Showing - Bonus Day Everybody The Discussion Thread
Dawn of the Challenge House (Hausu) (1977) OPTIONAL Random.org The Discussion Thread
Tuesday, October 1st Black Sabbath (1963) Bladz The Discussion Thread
Wednesday, October 2nd Don't Go to Sleep (1982) Undeadcow The Discussion Thread
Thursday, October 3rd The Reef (2010) arw6040 The Discussion Thread
Friday, October 4th American Mary (2012) Darkgod The Discussion Thread
Saturday, October 5th The Town That Dreaded Sundown (1976) islandclaws The Discussion Thread
Sunday, October 6th The Lords of Salem (2012) terrycloth The Discussion Thread
Monday, October 7th The Black Sleep (1956) Mondo Kane The Discussion Thread
Tuesday, October 8th The Flesh and the Fiends (1960) ororama The Discussion Thread
Wednesday, October 9th Shakma (1990) Darth Maher The Discussion Thread
Thursday, October 10th Eyes of Fire (1983) J. Farley The Discussion Thread
Friday, October 11th Killer Tongue (1996) SterlingBen The Discussion Thread
Saturday, October 12th Severance (2006) alyxstarr The Discussion Thread
Sunday, October 13th Trilogy of Terror (1975) Dick Laurent The Discussion Thread
Monday, October 14th ParaNorman (2012) tarfrimmer The Discussion Thread
Tuesday, October 15th Let's Scare Jessica to Death (1971) rbrown498 The Discussion Thread
Wednesday, October 16th Jack Frost (1997) Trevor The Discussion Thread
Thursday, October 17th The Caller (2011) DaveyJoe The Discussion Thread
Friday, October 18th Return of the Living Dead III (1993) The Man with the
Golden Doujinshi
The Discussion Thread
Saturday, October 19th John Dies at the End (2012) Chad The Discussion Thread
Sunday, October 20th Vampires in Havana (1985) Dimension X The Discussion Thread
Monday, October 21st Scanners II: The New Order (1991) SethDLH The Discussion Thread
Tuesday, October 22nd The Devil's Carnival (2012) Gobear The Discussion Thread
Wednesday, October 23rd Blood Diner (1987) cwileyy The Discussion Thread
Thursday, October 24th Scream (1996) shellebelle The Discussion Thread
Friday, October 25th Mystery of the Wax Museum (1933) Doc Moonlight The Discussion Thread
Saturday, October 26th Psycho III (1986) indiephantom The Discussion Thread
Sunday, October 27th In Their Skin (2012) jacob_b The Discussion Thread
Monday, October 28th Grave Encounters (2011) clckworang The Discussion Thread
Tuesday, October 29th Pontypool (2008) riotinmyskull The Discussion Thread
Wednesday, October 30th The Possession (2012) ntnon The Discussion Thread
Thursday, October 31st The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993) mrcellophane The Discussion Thread

WATCH ON THE LISTED DAY WITH GROUP DISCUSSION STARTING THE NEXT MORNING

COPY & PASTE INTO YOUR LIST
Spoiler:
--- 10/01: Bladz - Black Sabbath (1963)
--- 10/02: Undeadcow - Don't Go to Sleep (1982)
--- 10/03: arw6040 - The Reef (2010)
--- 10/04: Darkgod - American Mary (2012)
--- 10/05: islandclaws - The Town That Dreaded Sundown (1976)
--- 10/06: terrycloth - The Lords of Salem (2012)
--- 10/07: Mondo Kane - The Black Sleep (1956)
--- 10/08: ororama - The Flesh and the Fiends (1960)
--- 10/09: Darth Maher - Shakma (1990)
--- 10/10: J. Farley - Eyes of Fire (1983)
--- 10/11: SterlingBen - Killer Tongue (1996)
--- 10/12: alyxstarr - Severance (2006)
--- 10/13: Dick Laurent - Trilogy of Terror (1975)
--- 10/14: tarfrimmer - ParaNorman (2012)
--- 10/15: rbrown498 - Let's Scare Jessica to Death (1971)
--- 10/16: Trevor - Jack Frost (1997)
--- 10/17: DaveyJoe - The Caller (2011)
--- 10/18: The Man with the
Golden Doujinshi - Return of the Living Dead III (1993)
--- 10/19: Chad - John Dies at the End (2012)
--- 10/20: Dimension X - Vampires in Havana (1985)
--- 10/21: SethDLH - Scanners II: The New Order (1991)
--- 10/22: Gobear - The Devil's Carnival (2012)
--- 10/23: cwileyy - Blood Diner (1987)
--- 10/24: shellebelle - Scream (1996)
--- 10/25: Doc Moonlight - Mystery of the Wax Museum (1933)
--- 10/26: indiephantom - Psycho III (1986)
--- 10/27: jacob_b - In Their Skin (2012)
--- 10/28: clckworang - Grave Encounters (2011)
--- 10/29: riotinmyskull - Pontypool (2008)
--- 10/30: ntnon - The Possession (2012)
--- 10/31: mrcellophane - The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)

F
I
L
M

S
U
B
S
E
T

Last edited by Chad; 09-23-13 at 02:56 PM.
Old 09-19-13, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

E
X
P
A
N
D
E
D

C
H
E
C
K
L
I
S
T

COPY & PASTE INTO YOUR LIST USING A SPOILER TAG

Code:
Select 10 actors:
--- Angus Scrimm -
--- Asia Argento -
--- Boris Karloff -
--- Bruce Campbell -
--- Bradford Dillman -or- Donald Sutherland -
--- Brinke Stevens -
--- Conrad Veidt -or- Dwight Frye -
--- Dee Wallace -
--- Elisha Cook Jr. -
--- Elissa Dowling -
--- Fay Wray -or- Edward Van Sloan -
--- Ingrid Pitt -or- Virginia Wetherell -
--- Ivan Rasimov -or- Robert Quarry - 
--- Jefferey Combs -
--- Jessica Cameron -
--- Karen Black (R.I.P.) -
--- Katherine Isabelle -
--- Ray Milland -
--- Tina Krause -
--- Tony Todd -

Select 2 film composers:
--- Alan Howarth -
--- Hans J. Salter -
--- Marco Beltrami -

Select 5 directors:
--- Bert I. Gordon -or- William Girdler -
--- Brian Yuzna -
--- Dan Curtis -or- Pete Walker -
--- Dario Argento -
--- Freddie Francis -
--- Jess Franco (R.I.P.) -
--- Mario Bava -
--- Stuart Gordon -
--- Tobe Hooper -
--- Wes Craven -

Select 2 make-up effects artists:
--- Amalgamated Dynamics -or- Rob Bottin -
--- Jack Pierce -
--- John Chambers -or- Joe Blasco - 

Select 2 producers:
--- Dino De Laurentiis -
--- Joel Soisson -
--- Val Lewton -

Select 1 writer:
--- Dardano Sacchetti -
--- Richard Matheson (R.I.P.) -

Select 30 of the following sub-genres / types:
--- *3-D Film -
--- Anthology Film -
--- Appears on BFI's 100 European Horror Films List -
--- Appears on Video Nasties List -
--- Based on a Novel -
--- Cannibalism - 
--- Cinema Inspired By: H.P. Lovecraft -
--- Cinematic Titanic / Horror Host / MST3K / RiffTrax -
--- Comedy / Spoof -
--- Criterion / Masters of Cinema Version Film -
--- Death by: Chainsaw - 
--- Distributor / Studio: Shout! Factory / Scream Factory -
--- Documentary -
--- Extraterrestrial / Takes Place in Space -
--- Film and at Least Two of its Sequels -
--- Film and its Remake -
--- Found Footage -
--- Frankenstein -
--- Ghost / Haunting -
--- Giallo -
--- J-Horror -
--- Killer / Evil Animal -
--- Killer / Evil Child -
--- Killer / Evil Doll -
--- Made-for-TV Movie -
--- Monster / Creature Feature / Godzilla -
--- Mummy -
--- Musical / Rock ‘n Roll Horror
--- Nation of Origin: Spain -
--- Nazi -
--- Psychological -
--- Rape / Revenge -
--- Slasher / Psycho / Homicidal Maniac -
--- Takes Place on a Holiday -
--- Takes Place on or Under the Sea -
--- Vampire -
--- Werewolf -
--- Witchcraft / Satanic / Religious -
--- With Commentary -
--- With Two or More Horror Legends -
--- Zombie -

Watch films in at least three formats:
--- First format, (insert format), (insert title).
--- Second format, (insert format), (insert title).
--- Third format, (insert format), (insert title).

Watch films in at least three languages:
--- First language, (insert language), (insert title).
--- Second language, (insert language), (insert title).
--- Third language, (insert language), (insert title).

Select 8 decades of film history:
--- 1890 - 
--- 1900 -
--- 1910 -
--- 1920 -
--- 1930 -
--- 1940 -
--- 1950 -
--- 1960 -
--- 1970 -
--- 1980 -
--- 1990 -
--- 2000 -
--- 2010 -

Select 4 ratings:
--- G - 
--- PG -
--- PG-13 -
--- R -
--- X / NC-17 -
--- Unrated - 
--- M -
--- GP -

Attend a live event (convention, play, haunted house, ghost tour, etc.): 
--- (insert event). OPTIONAL

Venture Into the Literary World:
--- Read a Horror Novel or Novella (insert title). OPTIONAL

* = CAN ALSO BE VIEWED IN 2D.

IMDB ADVANCED TITLE SEARCH

Spoiler:
One film could fill multiple items.
Example: Dracula would fill one for decade, rating, actor, vampire, based on novel, and maybe others as well.
Use a * to mark first time viewings.
Change "---" to "-X-" or some similar mark when you have completed that line item.

E
X
P
A
N
D
E
D

C
H
E
C
K
L
I
S
T

Last edited by Chad; 09-26-13 at 08:47 PM.
Old 09-19-13, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

I basically agree with you. House of 1,000 Corpses is one of the few films I had difficulty finishing. It gave me such a splitting headache trying to watch it. Much of it was the filming style, but honorable mention must go to Zombie's wife and that hideously fake laugh she would do. So much of that movie was like nails on a chalkboard.

And I'm with GoldenWheels on Devil's Rejects. That movie just rubbed me the wrong way. The Haunted World of El Superbeasto was terrible as well. Really, really bad. I thought his first Halloween wasn't too bad but would have been better if it wasn't a "Michael Myers" movie, if that makes sense. The sequel was awful, though.

I'm not a Zombie fan at all, but I do check out his stuff since he's so loved by a lot of horror fans. I don't get it, though. His style just isn't for me.
Old 09-19-13, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by ntnon
...Best options are/were the Legacy Collections, which are all Out of Print, but can, if one were inclined, be had for $11-30 used from Amazon...
The main caveat with those Legacy Collections is be sure to check them immediately upon receipt. They were produced on DVD-18s and had *lots* of playback issues with stutter, skipping, hanging, etc. I was lucky and my Invisible Man set is the only problem one with a 10 second skip in the first 3 minutes on Invisible Agent. It was so slight I didn't bother getting a replacement - of course that'll probably come back to bite me at some point...
Old 09-20-13, 12:01 AM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
I basically agree with you. House of 1,000 Corpses is one of the few films I had difficulty finishing. It gave me such a splitting headache trying to watch it. Much of it was the filming style, but honorable mention must go to Zombie's wife and that hideously fake laugh she would do. So much of that movie was like nails on a chalkboard.

And I'm with GoldenWheels on Devil's Rejects. That movie just rubbed me the wrong way. The Haunted World of El Superbeasto was terrible as well. Really, really bad. I thought his first Halloween wasn't too bad but would have been better if it wasn't a "Michael Myers" movie, if that makes sense. The sequel was awful, though.

I'm not a Zombie fan at all, but I do check out his stuff since he's so loved by a lot of horror fans. I don't get it, though. His style just isn't for me.
I really didn't like House of 1000 Corpses, but liked The Devil's Rejects so much that I may have to give it one more shot. Halloween, however, was awful. One of the most uninteresting movies I can think of. And I definitely agree with clckworang when he says it may have been better if it wasn't a "Michael Myers" movie. Just completely took the mystery away.
Old 09-20-13, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 375 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
The main caveat with those Legacy Collections is be sure to check them immediately upon receipt. They were produced on DVD-18s and had *lots* of playback issues with stutter, skipping, hanging, etc. I was lucky and my Invisible Man set is the only problem one with a 10 second skip in the first 3 minutes on Invisible Agent. It was so slight I didn't bother getting a replacement - of course that'll probably come back to bite me at some point...
I wasn't aware of that. I've not had any problems with the legacy sets--I watched them all a few years ago, except for the Invisible Man set which I plan to view next month.
Old 09-20-13, 12:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last year I was doing the challenge and then had to drop out because my Mom was diagnosed with cancer. A few years before that I was going to do the challenge but then couldn't because my dog was sick and had to be taken to an emergency animal clinic. This year I'm going to do the challenge and if something happens to keep me from finishing then I might just say there's a curse to this challenge!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.