Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-13, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/3

Any Danielle Harris fans here? She directed a film called, Among Friends, written by Alyssa Lobit, that just came out. Anyone down to check it out with me?

Also, I know it's been out for a while, but The Orphan Killer. I heard that is brutal and deranged. Anyone seen it?
Old 09-21-13, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/3

Originally Posted by Chad
In not very exciting updates:

-That leaves 3 unfilled subset spots. I know Trevor is currently deciding on his 'Ice Terrors' pick, but I've yet to hear from islandclaws or Darth Maher. I'll PM them and if I don't hear back, we'll have to pick for them. Or if two people who haven't volunteered wanna take reserve spots and throw out some 'Killer Monkeys/Gorillas/Jungle Horrors' and 'Inspired By True Events Horror', that would be great. This will be done by the weekend.
I'll bite. For "Killer Monkeys/Gorillas/Jungle Horrors," I nominate 1990's Shakma. It can be found in its entirety on Youtube, but here's a little taste:
Spoiler:
Old 09-21-13, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by nezumi
I'll bite. For "Killer Monkeys/Gorillas/Jungle Horrors," I nominate 1990's Shakma. It can be found in its entirety on Youtube, but here's a little taste:
Spoiler:
A) The SHAKMA trailer just zoomed onto my Top 10 All-Time Favorite Trailers list, primarily because of the voice-over in the last 10 seconds or so: SHAKMAAAAA!

B) That is one seriously pissed-off monkey.
Old 09-22-13, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess since there hasn't been too much terribly exciting going on I'll announce some details of my prize donations... It will be 2 blu-rays (2 different titles). I don't want to fully commit to the titles in case something happens before I get them in my hands but there's no real reason they shouldn't be here before the challenge begins. I'll also be doing at least 1 giveaway on my Youtube channel during October too! That is all on top of my 300th blog post giveaway coming up this week!

In short- I'm giving lots of stuff away between this week and during the challenge so keep your eyes peeled!
Old 09-22-13, 03:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spoiler:
This trailer sold me, adding this to my to be watched list immediately alongside Link for another monkey theme, since I already saw Monkey Shines the last two challenges on here -- highly recommended for those who haven't seen it & have access to it. Just saw, Shakma on netflix streaming too .
Old 09-22-13, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jacob_b
Any Danielle Harris fans here? She directed a film called, Among Friends, written by Alyssa Lobit, that just came out. Anyone down to check it out with me?
Hey man, I'm sitting on a copy of this for the challenge. I'm down to watch it. Don't know much about it so have to check which theme night it's most appropriate for.
Old 09-22-13, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Spoiler:
Pure Gold! Looking forward to this one.
Old 09-22-13, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Spoiler:
Looks great! Whether it's the movie-of-the-day or not, I'll be watching that one for sure.
Old 09-22-13, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

-That leaves 3 unfilled subset spots. I know Trevor is currently deciding on his 'Ice Terrors' pick, but I've yet to hear from islandclaws or Darth Maher. I'll PM them and if I don't hear back, we'll have to pick for them. Or if two people who haven't volunteered wanna take reserve spots and throw out some 'Killer Monkeys/Gorillas/Jungle Horrors' and 'Inspired By True Events Horror', that would be great. This will be done by the weekend.
I apologize to everybody (mostly to Chad) for not getting my picks in. I volunteered a few weeks ago, then life/work got crazy once again and I didn't get back to the forum until yesterday where I first realized that Chad had taken me up on my offer to pick.

So here are some picks/suggestions (i'm still not 100% how this part works):

King Kong (1933): Amazon Instant Video
King Kong (1976): Netflix; Amazon Instant Video; YouTube
King Kong (2005): Amazon Instant Video; YouTube

Monkey Shines (1988): Amazon Instant Video

Link (1986): YouTube

Bride of the Gorilla (1951): Amazon Instant Video

Turistas (2006): Amazon Instant Video I guess there is a jungle theme somewhere in here??

And of course...
Shakma (1990): Netflix; Amazon Instant Video; YouTube

Last edited by Darth Maher; 09-22-13 at 11:33 AM.
Old 09-22-13, 12:03 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

How about Jack Frost (1997) for Ice Terrors? It appears to be on Netflix streaming and gives us a holiday horror to whet our appetites for the DVDTalk Holiday Horror Challenge.
Old 09-22-13, 01:49 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post

In not very exciting updates:

True Events Horror - ideas from my planning list include:
Dahmer (2002)
Grimm Love (2006)
The Girl Next Door (2007)
The Possession (2012)

All available on Netflix Instant
Old 09-22-13, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
How about Jack Frost (1997) for Ice Terrors? It appears to be on Netflix streaming and gives us a holiday horror to whet our appetites for the DVDTalk Holiday Horror Challenge.
I like that choice and also want to throw out this $7 three movie set which includes Jack Frost 2, Ice Cream Man, and The Killer Toungue.
http://www.amazon.com/Cream-Jack-Fro...qid=1379876962

I'm thinking Ice Cream Man could also count as an Ice Terror. Seems like it could be a stretch but I think it's a fun stretch and fun is what the challenge is all about.

Originally Posted by clckworang
I wouldn't consider the Sinbad movies as horror. I think other people have counted them in past years. I seem to recall an argument being made that there were skeletons come to life so it had to be horror. I wouldn't agree, but that's just me.
I'd agree on not counting it but then I started reading The Book of Lists: Horror yesterday and the very first list is something like the top 6 grossing horror films, which included Jurassic Park, Ghost, and The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Now I wouldn't classify those 3 as horror but if they're being counted in a list of horror, I'm not going to lose any sleep over anyone counting some of the Sinbad movies.

Yesterday I watched The Bad Seed (remake) and Bad Ronald. It got me trying to think up a list of related films with parents that have that one crazy kid. So far I've come up with:
The Bad Seed
The Bad Seed (remake)
Bad Ronald
Alice, Sweet Alice
Psycho
Psycho (remake)

Anyone have any others off the top of their head? I'm specifically looking for the family with just a single crazed kid and not a family of them. The parents should also be relatively normal, with the most they're willing to do is defensively protect their kid from getting caught. Not so much actively going out to kill people to protect the kid.
Old 09-22-13, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
I like that choice and also want to throw out this $7 three movie set which includes Jack Frost 2, Ice Cream Man, and The Killer Toungue.
http://www.amazon.com/Cream-Jack-Fro...qid=1379876962

I'm thinking Ice Cream Man could also count as an Ice Terror. Seems like it could be a stretch but I think it's a fun stretch and fun is what the challenge is all about.

I'd agree on not counting it but then I started reading The Book of Lists: Horror yesterday and the very first list is something like the top 6 grossing horror films, which included Jurassic Park, Ghost, and The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Now I wouldn't classify those 3 as horror but if they're being counted in a list of horror, I'm not going to lose any sleep over anyone counting some of the Sinbad movies.

Yesterday I watched The Bad Seed (remake) and Bad Ronald. It got me trying to think up a list of related films with parents that have that one crazy kid. So far I've come up with:
The Bad Seed
The Bad Seed (remake)
Bad Ronald
Alice, Sweet Alice
Psycho
Psycho (remake)

Anyone have any others off the top of their head? I'm specifically looking for the family with just a single crazed kid and not a family of them. The parents should also be relatively normal, with the most they're willing to do is defensively protect their kid from getting caught. Not so much actively going out to kill people to protect the kid.
I'd count Rocky Horror Picture Show as musical horror but agree that the others, especially Ghost, seem suspect.

As for your evil child question, maybe not quite right for a couple of reasons but I immediately thought of Orphan. I'd say The Omen would qualify as well.
Old 09-22-13, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Spoiler:

Originally Posted by PCBreakdown
True Events Horror - ideas from my planning list include:
Dahmer (2002)
Grimm Love (2006)
The Girl Next Door (2007)
The Possession (2012)

All available on Netflix Instant
We do have picks from everyone now, but big thanks for taking reserve spots.

Originally Posted by islandclaws (via PM)
Here are a few picks for you:

Deranged
The Entity
The Town That Dreaded Sundown
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
Wolf Creek
Hmmm ...what to choose. Done.

Originally Posted by Darth Maher
I apologize to everybody (mostly to Chad) for not getting my picks in. I volunteered a few weeks ago, then life/work got crazy once again and I didn't get back to the forum until yesterday where I first realized that Chad had taken me up on my offer to pick.

So here are some picks/suggestions (i'm still not 100% how this part works):

King Kong (1933): Amazon Instant Video
King Kong (1976): Netflix; Amazon Instant Video; YouTube
King Kong (2005): Amazon Instant Video; YouTube

Monkey Shines (1988): Amazon Instant Video

Link (1986): YouTube

Bride of the Gorilla (1951): Amazon Instant Video

Turistas (2006): Amazon Instant Video I guess there is a jungle theme somewhere in here??

And of course...
Shakma (1990): Netflix; Amazon Instant Video; YouTube
No problem.

I think it's pretty damn obvious which one to choose here.

Originally Posted by Trevor
Spoiler:
<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/8Ebf07Wtdhs?hl=en_US&version=3&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/8Ebf07Wtdhs?hl=en_US&version=3&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Old 09-22-13, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

And I believe we now have a fully functional subset list:

1. Black Sabbath (1963) (Chronological) (Bladz) YouTube
2. Don't Go to Sleep (1982) (Made-For-TV Horror Movies) (Undeadcow) YouTube
3. The Reef (2010) (Aquatic) (arw6040) Netflix Streaming
4. American Mary (2012) (Body Horror) (Darkgod) Netflix Streaming
5. The Town That Dreaded Sundown (1976) ("Inspired By True Events" Horror) (islandclaws) DailyMotion
6. The Lords of Salem (2012) (The Splat Pack) (terrycloth)
7. The Black Sleep (1956) (B&W) (Mondo Kane) Netflix Streaming
8. The Flesh and the Fiends (1960) (Peter Cushing) (ororama) Dailymotion
9. Shakma (1990) (Killer Monkeys/Gorillas/Jungle Horrors) (Darth Maher) Netflix Streaming Amazon Instant Video YouTube
10. Eyes of Fire (1983) (Native American/Horror Westerns) (J. Farley) YouTube
11. Killer Tongue (La lengua asesina) (1996) (Horror Comedies) (SterlingBen)
12. Severance (2006) (Death By Decapitation) (alyxstarr) Netflix Streaming
13. Trilogy of Terror (1975) (Killer Dolls/Puppets) (Dick Laurent) YouTube
14. ParaNorman (2012) (Family-Friendly Horror) (tarfrimmer) Netflix Streaming
15. Let's Scare Jessica to Death (1971) (Harvest Horrors) (rbrown498) YouTube
16. Jack Frost (1997) (Ice Terrors) (Trevor) Netflix Streaming
17. The Caller (2011) (Telephone Terrors) (DaveyJoe) Netflix Streaming
18. Return of the Living Dead III (1993) (Erotic/Sexy) (The Man with the Golden Doujinshi) Crackle
19. John Dies at the End (2012) (Crazy/Psychotronic) (Chad) Netflix Streaming
20. Vampires in Havana (Vampiros en La Habana) (1985) (Vampires) (Dimension X) Netflix Streaming
21. Scanners II: The New Order (1991) (Psychic/ESP) (SethDLH) YouTube
22. The Devil's Carnival (2012) (Musical) (Gobear) Netflix Streaming
23. Blood Diner (1987) (Evil Families -or- Class Warfare -or- Occult Detectives) (cwileyy) YouTube
24. Scream (1996) (Slashers/Giallos/Serial Killers) (shellebelle) Netflix Streaming
25. Mystery of the Wax Museum (1933) (Mystery Horror Films) (Doc Moonlight) YouTube
26. Psycho III (1986) (Icons Vs. Sequels) (indiephantom) YouTube (Part 1 of 7)
27. In Their Skin (2012) (Home Invasion) (jacob_b)
28. Grave Encounters (2011) (Supernatural/Haunted House/Ghost) (clckworang) Netflix Streaming
29. Pontypool (2008) (Zombies) (riotinmyskull) Netflix Streaming
30. The Possession (2012) (Demonic/Satanic/Possession) (ntnon) Netflix Streaming
31. The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993) (Halloween-related) (mrcellophane) Netflix Streaming

That is, if everyone's satisfied with their picks. I plan (time permitting) on creating the table and the discussion threads later tonight.

And tomorrow it's checklist time.

Last edited by Chad; 09-22-13 at 06:27 PM.
Old 09-22-13, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

looks like a sweet pick of films right there!
Old 09-22-13, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There is a decent amount of stuff on the list that I've been meaning to watch... A lot of them would be first time viewings.
Old 09-22-13, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by pacaway

In this thread no one can hear you scream!
Especially on Page 3.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
Old 09-22-13, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by indiephantom
Hey man, I'm sitting on a copy of this for the challenge. I'm down to watch it. Don't know much about it so have to check which theme night it's most appropriate for.
With the cover and what I read about being a throwback to 80's horror, I'm going to go with Slashers/Giallos/Serial Killers. And if you like the movie, the writer is auctioning off a Skype call for the charity I help. Very sweet woman. I actually have a few cool horror related packages for the auction I'll post when it goes live on Tuesday. Might even have something from Hatchet 3, which also fits the Slashers/Giallos/Serial Killers theme.
Old 09-22-13, 08:27 PM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

That is one nice looking subset film list!

I hope people can abide Don't Go The Sleep (1982) in all it's VHS grade YouTube glory. I've heard great things about it, considering it's a made-for-TV movie.

Only 8 more days to go...

Last edited by Undeadcow; 09-22-13 at 08:39 PM.
Old 09-22-13, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Yay! I'm glad that my pick ended up being one of my all-time favorite films!
Old 09-22-13, 09:00 PM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm am getting so psyched for this thing to start! 8 more days? That's forever!!
Old 09-22-13, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I can't wait. And I see unofficially one of my picks made it, as I suggested Jack Frost to Trevor when he asked for ideas for Ice Terrors.
Old 09-22-13, 09:18 PM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I can't wait. And I see unofficially one of my picks made it, as I suggested Jack Frost to Trevor when he asked for ideas for Ice Terrors.
Jack Frost is an absurd movie, but it's fun. That shower scene might be the second most infamous one out there.
Old 09-22-13, 09:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
I hope people can abide Don't Go The Sleep (1982) in all it's VHS grade YouTube glory. I've heard great things about it, considering it's a made-for-TV movie.
I've been wanting to see this one for ages just never got around to it, definitely gonna watch it. Looking forward to subset discussion for it too.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.