Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-13, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/3

Originally Posted by SethDLH
Anyone looking at different blu-rays to watch during the challenge, the new release for The Devil Bat is a winner. Check out my review here http://celluloidterror.blogspot.com/...view-kino.html
I don't know if I really need The Devil Bat in HD.
Old 09-20-13, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/3

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
I don't know if I really need The Devil Bat in HD.
Then how about:

Which is basically the same movie!
Old 09-20-13, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

splat pack ill go with 11/11/11 its available on netflix

or Lords of salem while not streaming is a new release and easily available on redbox
Old 09-20-13, 03:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone looking at different blu-rays to watch during the challenge, the new release for The Devil Bat is a winner. Check out my review here http://celluloidterror.blogspot.com/...view-kino.html
Sounds good. I plan to buy it during the challenge. Just wish it had the Bela Jr. commentary from the older DVD which I never got.
Old 09-20-13, 11:51 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

to the dude with the Planes, Trains and Automobiles avatar. That made me laugh.
Old 09-20-13, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Just waiting to get the prizes I'm donating in hand to say what they are and send a pic.
Anxiously awaiting.

Speaking of sponsors, there's upcoming news concerning both current and new. With the latter I'm just waiting for confirmation, which is always fun.

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Then how about:

Which is basically the same movie!
Q Jr.! Or Q Sr. depending on how you look at it.

Originally Posted by terrycloth
splat pack ill go with 11/11/11 its available on netflix

or Lords of salem while not streaming is a new release and easily available on redbox
Lords of Salem. Guaranteed discussion.

Last edited by Chad; 09-20-13 at 01:43 PM.
Old 09-20-13, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
Well at least I know how it starts now...I haven't seen it yet man! Sorry if I was unclear.
At least on the plus side, you know that it does end and doesn't continue the entire movie. I couldn't enjoy it because I was thinking the entire movie was going to be like that.

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
The main caveat with those Legacy Collections is be sure to check them immediately upon receipt. They were produced on DVD-18s and had *lots* of playback issues with stutter, skipping, hanging, etc. I was lucky and my Invisible Man set is the only problem one with a 10 second skip in the first 3 minutes on Invisible Agent. It was so slight I didn't bother getting a replacement - of course that'll probably come back to bite me at some point...
It's still easy to do a replacement. I had an issue with one of the mummy discs last year and had it resolved pretty fast. Filled out a form on their website, got an envelope to return the bad disc and then got a replacement quickly.
Old 09-20-13, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad
Old 09-20-13, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad

Spoiler:
I liked the first half when I thought it was going to be something related to Rosemary's Baby. Then it ended up doing something else.
Old 09-20-13, 03:18 PM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

On the subject of Rob Zombie, I really liked his first Halloween and really disliked the second one. I liked House of 1000 Corpses, but have a hard time enjoying the Devil's Rejects. And I haven't read or seen anything that makes me want to see Lords of Salem.
Old 09-20-13, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'll be the one to say I preferred Zombie's Halloween II to his original. Just the same way I preferred The Devil's Rejects over House of 1000 Corpses. I'll be watching his latest during this challenge. I'm quite looking forward to splatter pack day, actually.
Old 09-20-13, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts

For those who are planning ahead and like to have physical DVDs as often as you can for the Challenge...my local Walmart had up its Halloween DVD display, and clckworang's pick for the Supernatural/Haunted House/Ghost theme night, GRAVE ENCOUNTERS, was on sale for $5. Might be worth checking into next time you're in the store.
Old 09-20-13, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I was looking on the list thread site the very first post with all of the monsters on it. I noticed the Cyclops in there with all of the rest of the monsters. That got me thinking of the Sinbad movies. Would they be considered horror or sci-fi. And be ok for this challenge? I wouldn't mind watching that again but I don't know if it would be considered horror or sci-fi.
Old 09-20-13, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
Spoiler:
I liked the first half when I thought it was going to be something related to Rosemary's Baby. Then it ended up doing something else.
Yeah, I kind of enjoyed or stuck with the first 85% of the movie. But the ending really floored me and was real freaky that kind of ruined the whole movie.
Old 09-20-13, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by JOE29
I was looking on the list thread site the very first post with all of the monsters on it. I noticed the Cyclops in there with all of the rest of the monsters. That got me thinking of the Sinbad movies. Would they be considered horror or sci-fi. And be ok for this challenge? I wouldn't mind watching that again but I don't know if it would be considered horror or sci-fi.
I wouldn't consider the Sinbad movies as horror. I think other people have counted them in past years. I seem to recall an argument being made that there were skeletons come to life so it had to be horror. I wouldn't agree, but that's just me.

Last edited by clckworang; 09-20-13 at 08:49 PM.
Old 09-20-13, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I have a question. I was looking at some of the movies listed on my MC 50 Horror Classics Set and saw among the silent films listed, Metropolis. Now I know it's not horror, so I don't plan to count it, I just want to know if anyone knows why it would be included in a set of horror movies?
Old 09-20-13, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
I wouldn't consider the Sinbad movies as horror. I think other people have counted them in past years. I seem to recall an argument being made that there were skeletons come to life so it had to be horror. I wouldn't agree, but that's just me.
I don't see Sinbad as horror either but I guess it's up to the viewer to count titles they sincerely feel are horror. Maybe Chad threw the Cyclops onto the banner as a joke winking at the previous Sinbad debate.

I recall, perhaps incorrectly, the recommended guideline has been that IMDB and/or allmovie.com genre listings to determine if something questionable was horror. However, that's not always been consistent (i.e. no one lists Haunted World of El Superbeasto as horror but it's been a subset contender).
Originally Posted by shadokitty
I have a question. I was looking at some of the movies listed on my MC 50 Horror Classics Set and saw among the silent films listed, Metropolis. Now I know it's not horror, so I don't plan to count it, I just want to know if anyone knows why it would be included in a set of horror movies?
Are you accusing Mill Creek of shamelessly adding irrelevant public domain titles to their collections as filler to pad their title count? Nonsense!
Old 09-20-13, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ntnon
Some Amazon links...

Best options are/were the Legacy Collections, which are all Out of Print, but can, if one were inclined, be had for $11-30 used from Amazon.
Thanks for the links. No idea the Legacy stuff was OOP. Bought Dracula two years ago pretty cheap on eBay. Might try surfing around and finding the best option on those.

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Because I hate his movies. They are trashy, self-indulgent, and unimaginative. He's like the worst example of a new filmmaker just out of film school, who doesn't know what he's doing so he overcompensates by pushing style over substance. The problem is that the style isn't even compelling. I'll never forget a scene in the House of 1000 Corpses where he inverted the colors FOR NO REASON. It added nothing to the movie and simply burned my retinas. His movies feature bad acting, worse dialogue, and no sense of horror or suspense.
Lords of Salem wasn't too trashy. And House of 1000 Corpses jump started or restarted many careers. I actually really enjoyed the artistic style of Lords of Salem, which actually got really good reviews on the convention circuit. House of 1000 Corpses had some great one liners and comedy. The only thing I have against most of his films is the overall horror character, like Dr. Satan & whatever it was in Lords, just wasn't scary and kind of awful looking. Though, with reading what was posted about a director's cut, I'm kind of interested to see how House of 1000 Corpses would have been. The director's cut of Halloween 2 is miles better than the theater version which was complete crap.

As for the movies named so far, I think we have some awesome movies:
Black Sabbath
American Mary
Let's Scare Jessica to Death
John Dies at the End
Scream
In Their Skin
Grave Encounters
The Possession

I'll be watching those and cannot wait to hear others views on those movies.
Old 09-21-13, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Here are a few more thoughts on the subset films. Unfortunately, I cannot find that master list already covered so hopefully that won't negate these suggestions! All of these are available through Netflix.

Halloween-related
Nightmare Before Christmas - love this film!
HellBent - Not seen, but there are gay guys in it!

Ice Terrors
Dead Snow - I couldn't finish it, but people seem to like it.
The Grey - Not seen, but several friends thought it was pretty good.
Old 09-21-13, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by clckworang
Yeah, I kind of remember that debate over Sinbad. Maybe i'll use the movie as a warm up to the challenge before October. If I have the time to do it.
Old 09-21-13, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

So, I think I will soft-core this year. Was thinking of just not joining as I realized with a lot going on in October I see now way of averaging 3 flicks a day to hit 100. Still, I just can't see a year where I don't do this so I am in even if I hit 10 flicks.
Old 09-21-13, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
I don't see Sinbad as horror either but I guess it's up to the viewer to count titles they sincerely feel are horror. Maybe Chad threw the Cyclops onto the banner as a joke winking at the previous Sinbad debate.
Harryhausen tribute. I originally intended to put the giant squid from It Came from Beneath the Sea on the bridge, but this was less time-consuming. Also not the first time I've cheated - the Pale Man from Pan's Labyrinth was used a few years back, and the skyscraper from last year was taken from a 1996 direct-to-video Anna Nicole Smith action flick of the same name.

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
Here are a few more thoughts on the subset films. Unfortunately, I cannot find that master list already covered so hopefully that won't negate these suggestions! All of these are available through Netflix.

Halloween-related
Nightmare Before Christmas - love this film!
HellBent - Not seen, but there are gay guys in it!

Ice Terrors
Dead Snow - I couldn't finish it, but people seem to like it.
The Grey - Not seen, but several friends thought it was pretty good.
The Nightmare Before Christmas has never been used?! Gotta remedy that.

Adding Hellbent to the Netflix queue. And looking over the theme nights list makes me realize there's an actual shit-ton of Halloween-themed movies I've yet to see, although I'm guessing about 90% of 'em are probably less than Jack-O quality.
Old 09-21-13, 02:37 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

Is it safe to say that post 568 is the official genre list for this year? And does this mean it is safe to say that the checklist will be worked on before we have less than a week to go before the challenge starts?
Old 09-21-13, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by orlmac
Is it safe to say that post 568 is the official genre list for this year? And does this mean it is safe to say that the checklist will be worked on before we have less than a week to go before the challenge starts?
Well, it's one of three. That's there as a direct link for the main thread and the upcoming blurb on the front page/newsletter. As always, you can also find it (with the subset and checklist) on the first post of the list thread and the second post of the discussion thread. I keep them all updated.

And yeah, it's gonna be somewhat late this year. Not my intention, but unfortunately it's just the way it worked out. That being said, I've been working on it and have included recent and planning thread suggestions, so it's already near completion. I'll post it right after the subset is complete and we can make any necessary adjustments.

Last edited by Chad; 09-21-13 at 03:01 PM.
Old 09-21-13, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In not very exciting updates:

-That leaves 3 unfilled subset spots. I know Trevor is currently deciding on his 'Ice Terrors' pick, but I've yet to hear from islandclaws or Darth Maher. I'll PM them and if I don't hear back, we'll have to pick for them. Or if two people who haven't volunteered wanna take reserve spots and throw out some 'Killer Monkeys/Gorillas/Jungle Horrors' and 'Inspired By True Events Horror', that would be great. This will be done by the weekend.

-On theme nights 'Crazy/Psychotronic' and 'Erotic/Sexy' have switched days since the latter has a lot in common with Vampires.

-The participant links on the list thread have been added for everyone that's reserved a spot up to the moment. And a reminder that it's a not a bad idea to link your list in your signature.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.