DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Fourth Annual Drive-in/Exploitation/B-Movie Challenge April 1-30 2013

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-13, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: Fourth Annual Drive-in/Exploitation/B-Movie Challenge April 1-30 2013

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Yep. At one point [Cutthroat Island] was in the Guinness Book of World Records as the biggest box office flop of all time.
And now it's John Carter, supposedly. With any luck I intend to watch both!
Old 03-16-13, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Keaton, Lauren & Hardy, and The Three Stooges are tough calls. They tended to be made by the "B" units but were *highly* popular.

Laurel & hardy were most certainly "A" material when working with Hal Roach but after the move to 20th they were entirely produced by the "B" unit.
Taking that just a tiny step further, that set of comedies seems to be classifiable as "A" material in "B" format. Which arguably means letter of the challenge, not spirit of the challenge.

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
The Three Stooges were a very large draw for Columbia Pictures (although produced "on the cheap"). Demand for Stooges films was so high that at one point Columbia Pictures president Harry Cohn reportedly refused to supply exhibitors with Stooges shorts unless they also agreed to book some of the studio's B movies.

If anything I'd put those in the "exploitation" category (especially the Stooges) due to the way the groups were treated by the studios.
Hm. Exploited comedians... sad but true.

I'd argue against Abbott and Costello product being "B" films as their second film, Buck Privates (1941), made them box-office stars and saved Universal from imminent bankruptcy. Yes, they made a long string of films (36) between 1940 and 1956 but their films remained a top ten box office attraction until 1952. In 1942, Abbott and Costello were the top box office draw with *four* films earning a total of $10 million.
Again, yes, I agree. In broad style, they were/are clearly comparable with other film series' (Holmes, Chan, Kettle), but while most of those are easily definable as "B" pictures - however popular - the A&C films are hazier. Opinions vary, of course, but some of their efforts could easily fall into the "crap" category, and at least one or two seem to have fallen into the public domain, but...

Like L&H, and the Stooges, they could be included under the "exploitation" banner due to the constant churning out of product to take advantage of their immense popularity.

So... I vote "yes" to all those mentioned due to the way those groups were exploited but I certainly wouldn't call them "B" movies.
Letter not spirit, again. Although for reasons of (assumed) budget and plot simplicity, "B" might not be that wrong of a label to place upon them.

Like any challenge, it's difficult to compare such disparate films, because they are clearly so different. The "proper" definitions of "B" and implication of "Drive In" don't necessarily apply across the board to any films that are otherwise applicable, which is why I was sort-of hoping (and mostly not!) there'd be a "Because I Say So" ruling disqualifying some of the things I'm asking about. Otherwise, almost anything is arguable - which is handy, but semi-problematic..! I don't want to cause waves.
Old 03-16-13, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Keaton's silent classics would not be considered "B" movies. Maybe some of his sound features (done for MGM) or sound shorts (done for Columbia).
That seems sound.

Laurel & Hardy: what BobO'Link said.

Three Stooges: these were shot cheaply and quickly and remain firmly in the "B" camp. Columbia paid the Stooges slave wages for 20-odd years. This still rankles me.

Abbott & Costello: this is tricky. I tend to think of them as B-movies because of the formulaic nature of their production and the fact that most of what Universal produced at the time was "B" or, in the parlance of the time, "nervous-A." But the fact remains, as BobO'Link points out, the A&C films were box-office gold for Universal and, as I recall, they played top-of-the-line Broadway theaters when they played New York. On the other hand, my mother, who was in high school during the peak A&C years (1941-44), said she and her friends looked down on those movies and wouldn't be caught dead at them. For what that's worth.
Yes, I read a between-the-lines intention in this challenge for the inclusion of films that, despite popularity are looked down on. But that's a can of worms that leads straight to summer blockbusters, which are about as removed from both "B" and the perceived spirit of "Drive In/Exploitation" as it gets!

As kids, my siblings and I used to watch the A&C movies on Sunday mornings on a local channel in 90-minute time slots, which meant we missed about 20 minutes from each 85-minute film. when I finally bought an A&C box set of their first eight movies, I was astounded at all the scenes in them that I'd never seen before!!!
That's the sort of little fact that I thrive on - thanks!
Old 03-16-13, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by ntnon
Yes, I started there, but balked at all the -plotations, because I'm not sure I can get ahold of many examples. I'll try, though.
Since you're looking for free stuff to watch online, don't forget to check out archive.org. Just looking at the "Most Downloaded Items Last Week" links turns up the incomparable Doris Wishman's Diary of a Nudist (1961), Sex Madness (1938), and Charles Bronson in Cold Sweat (1970).

Edit: Clicked on "more" at the bottom of that list, and there's Plan 9 from Outer Space, Dr. Sex, The Fast And The Furious, Voyage to the Planet of Prehistoric Women, and a bunch more (and that's just on the first page). Looks like there's enough PD stuff on there alone to keep you busy for a month.

Last edited by Dimension X; 03-16-13 at 05:43 PM.
Old 03-16-13, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

A lot of good points made. Here's my philosophy. The core of the challenge is exploitation and 60s-70s Drive-in. This would be all the listed *-sploitations, such as Blaxploitation, martial arts, 70s Cars chase movies, and so on. Then it goes into the more obscure stuff, like Nunsploitation, Nazispolitation, sexploitation, and the 40s 50s roadshow stuff, etc. They are pretty self-explanatory but do require a bit of genre-savvy to appreciate, let alone find. Picture stuff that would entertain Joe Bob Briggs and Quentin Tarantino. It's the stuff that feels like horror, but isn't.

Most horror and Sci-fi films before the big studios started making them big budget (pre-Star Wars and Exorcist) also count (as do the cheap ripoffs of Star Wars and Exorcist, obviously). This would actually include the Universal Horror cycles and the Val Lewton flicks, as well as Hammer, as they were generally considered B at the time (yeah, there were exceptions, but it seems silly to exclude something like Bride of Frankenstein [in my opinion an A movie in a B cycle] and include all the rest). I like including horror and sci-fi to celebrate the cheap/crappy factor, but I also don't want this challenge to be "Horror-lite", as some have accused it of being. That said, I prefer participation over anything and I appreciate that horror is what most people possess that fits this challenge. Also, it's at the half-way point in the year past the Horror Challenge, so lots of us are back in the mood for horror.

The thing about this challenge is that the casual fan probably doesn't have access to 70s Nazi-exploitation or Emmanuelle films like the hardcore fan does. But B movies are easy to come across. Turner Classic Movies, Western Channel, Netflix, and personal collections all have them. B is just really hard to define definitively. Back in the day, people knew what were A and B or less when they went to see them. They also knew the "personalities" of the studios. It's just a bit harder these days and research can be inconclusive. I included Bs as a way to increase participation and the pool of movies. You can really kind of use your best judgment on these. I would stay away from obvious A pictures, like MGM (Gone with the Wind, Wizard of Oz, etc.), stuff like Casablanca. If all you have available and want to watch is TCM stuff, that's fine. I really don't want to part hairs on what's truly B or not. Even stuff that was intended to be A like This Island Earth is cheesy enough to probably be OK. I wouldn't balk at Time Machine and Forbidden Planet, but those kind of seem like studio "A" experiments in "B" genre, but that's just me. Also, I think nearly anything Direct to Video is essentially a B movie (or less). That's where SyFy films might slip in.

Shorts seem to really transcend A and B description. The Stooges were definitely B. They were lowbrow and cheap and proudly so. And on a side note, they might have been exploited by the studios, but they were still a lucrative live act and even more so when rediscovered by TV. Moe died a millionaire and a beloved guest on TV late in life. Larry gambled a lot, but he was OK.

Hal Roach was a subsidiary of MGM for a long time, but was usually kind of B-ish. Part of me still wants to include the shorts as a nostalgia element of the old method of distributing movies that gave us the A/B system. Usually, the B films filled out the second half of a double feature with an A and the shorts accompanied them. If we include shorts, I really didn't want to get into a ranking system with them. If the Stooges are included and are obviously B, then I can't see not including Leon Errol, Keystone Kops, Our Gang, and even Harold Lloyd, Harry Langdon, on up to Laurel and Hardy, Buster Keaton and even Charlie Chaplin. What do you guys think about including shorts like this?

Abbott and Costello I can see as being kind of the Adam Sandlers of their day. Popular with audiences but sneered at by snobbish viewers. I can see arguments either way. Their roots were burlesque, which was the B version of vaudeville but the films might have been A. Budgets weren't that different, not like today. I wouldn't NOT count one, though. Especially the latter day formula pictures with the monsters.

Anyway, the idea is to have fun, to appreciate trash and cult films, to watch a lot of violence and sex, laugh at bad films and find the occasional gem. I recommend Blaxploitation highly. Some are better than others, but all are worth a look.
Old 03-16-13, 06:59 PM

Feel free to weigh in on opinions this challenge. It's going to free form a bit more than usual. It's pretty busy at work, so I might not get to questions quickly.
Old 03-16-13, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Another channel you could add from tv for those who have it may be Epix Drive In. Seeing a commercial for the channel the other day while watching a movie on there for the Action/Adventure Challenge the guy in the commercial called it a haven of B Movies, Exploitation, and Cult Movies.
Old 03-16-13, 09:25 PM

Wish that was available outside of Dish network.
Old 03-16-13, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I know the original Nightmare on Elm Street and New Nightmare would be safe movies because they are both Wes Craven pictures, but what about the NoES movies that were between those two? 2-FInal Nightmare. Just curious as I own all of the original movies.
Old 03-16-13, 11:38 PM

I would consider them ok.
Old 03-17-13, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by Dimension X
Since you're looking for free stuff to watch online, don't forget to check out archive.org. Just looking at the "Most Downloaded Items Last Week" links turns up the incomparable Doris Wishman's Diary of a Nudist (1961), Sex Madness (1938), and Charles Bronson in Cold Sweat (1970).

Edit: Clicked on "more" at the bottom of that list, and there's Plan 9 from Outer Space, Dr. Sex, The Fast And The Furious, Voyage to the Planet of Prehistoric Women, and a bunch more (and that's just on the first page). Looks like there's enough PD stuff on there alone to keep you busy for a month.
Yes, The Internet Archive and YouTube will be really helpful. And I really appreciate some specific titles, thanks.

Somehow, a third of the time I forget about them entirely; a third of the time I think them too obvious to mention, and the other third is because our Internet connection can be patchy, so I need to try and get some DVDs to cover that eventuality. (Plus, I like DVDs. And prefer them to streaming stuff.)
Old 03-17-13, 02:16 AM

It's pretty busy at work, so I might not get to questions quickly.
I do appreciate you taking the time to placate and advise me, thank you.

A lot of good points made. Here's my philosophy. The core of the challenge is exploitation and 60s-70s Drive-in. This would be all the listed *-sploitations, such as Blaxploitation, martial arts, 70s Cars chase movies, and so on. Then it goes into the more obscure stuff, like Nunsploitation, Nazispolitation, sexploitation, and the 40s 50s roadshow stuff, etc. They are pretty self-explanatory but do require a bit of genre-savvy to appreciate, let alone find. Picture stuff that would entertain Joe Bob Briggs and Quentin Tarantino. It's the stuff that feels like horror, but isn't.
I'm hoping to find examples for as many of the 'ploitations as possible for those very reasons. It's always interesting to watch something I've never seen and/or might never seek out alone - to a greater or lesser extent, that's why I'm here!

Most horror and Sci-fi films before the big studios started making them big budget (pre-Star Wars and Exorcist) also count (as do the cheap ripoffs of Star Wars and Exorcist, obviously). This would actually include the Universal Horror cycles and the Val Lewton flicks, as well as Hammer, as they were generally considered B at the time (yeah, there were exceptions, but it seems silly to exclude something like Bride of Frankenstein [in my opinion an A movie in a B cycle] and include all the rest).
That should give me enough potentials from my own piles of discs to fill in any gaps I have. Fingers crossed, anyway.

I like including horror and sci-fi to celebrate the cheap/crappy factor, but I also don't want this challenge to be "Horror-lite", as some have accused it of being. That said, I prefer participation over anything and I appreciate that horror is what most people possess that fits this challenge. Also, it's at the half-way point in the year past the Horror Challenge, so lots of us are back in the mood for horror.
I enjoy Sci-Fi, so I'm trying to find as many reasonably-applicable titles there as possible, but I'm fine steering fairly clear of horror-y types until October, personally.

The thing about this challenge is that the casual fan probably doesn't have access to 70s Nazi-exploitation or Emmanuelle films like the hardcore fan does.
I'm fairly sure I wound up with some Emmanuelles at some point a few years ago. Goodness knows where they are, though...

But B movies are easy to come across. Turner Classic Movies, Western Channel, Netflix, and personal collections all have them. B is just really hard to define definitively. Back in the day, people knew what were A and B or less when they went to see them. They also knew the "personalities" of the studios. It's just a bit harder these days and research can be inconclusive. I included Bs as a way to increase participation and the pool of movies. You can really kind of use your best judgment on these. I would stay away from obvious A pictures, like MGM (Gone with the Wind, Wizard of Oz, etc.), stuff like Casablanca. If all you have available and want to watch is TCM stuff, that's fine. I really don't want to part hairs on what's truly B or not. Even stuff that was intended to be A like This Island Earth is cheesy enough to probably be OK. I wouldn't balk at Time Machine and Forbidden Planet, but those kind of seem like studio "A" experiments in "B" genre, but that's just me.
Appreciate that, thanks.

Also, I think nearly anything Direct to Video is essentially a B movie (or less). That's where SyFy films might slip in.
That was certainly my thinking, so I'm glad to get that 'officially' stated.

Shorts seem to really transcend A and B description. The Stooges were definitely B. They were lowbrow and cheap and proudly so. And on a side note, they might have been exploited by the studios, but they were still a lucrative live act and even more so when rediscovered by TV. Moe died a millionaire and a beloved guest on TV late in life. Larry gambled a lot, but he was OK.

Hal Roach was a subsidiary of MGM for a long time, but was usually kind of B-ish. Part of me still wants to include the shorts as a nostalgia element of the old method of distributing movies that gave us the A/B system. Usually, the B films filled out the second half of a double feature with an A and the shorts accompanied them. If we include shorts, I really didn't want to get into a ranking system with them. If the Stooges are included and are obviously B, then I can't see not including Leon Errol, Keystone Kops, Our Gang, and even Harold Lloyd, Harry Langdon, on up to Laurel and Hardy, Buster Keaton and even Charlie Chaplin. What do you guys think about including shorts like this?
I was really only asking from the 'what can I watch from the first four decades?' angle, so I have no real specific vested interest either way. I would actually tend to think "not" for many of those. Indeed, I would argue that the spirit of the definitions would count out L&H, A&C and Chaplin. But maybe count in their "forgotten" compatriots - the Langdon's and Arbuckles - who were every bit as popular (and hence UNchallenge-y) at the time, but increasingly the sort of underappreciated and underseen fare that might not sit a million miles away from exploitation and "crap".

Abbott and Costello I can see as being kind of the Adam Sandlers of their day.
Not sure if that's a positive, negative or neutral comparison...! I lean towards classing Sandler (and Ferrell) squarely in the "utter crap" camp, and hence potentially applicable for me here...

Popular with audiences but sneered at by snobbish viewers. I can see arguments either way. Their roots were burlesque, which was the B version of vaudeville but the films might have been A. Budgets weren't that different, not like today. I wouldn't NOT count one, though. Especially the latter day formula pictures with the monsters.

Anyway, the idea is to have fun, to appreciate trash and cult films, to watch a lot of violence and sex, laugh at bad films and find the occasional gem. I recommend Blaxploitation highly. Some are better than others, but all are worth a look.
Trash, cult, 'bad', flops, underseen and sneered at. Got it. Agree wholeheartedly and looking forward to it! I watched Friday Foster for A/A/C/M and enjoyed it, so presuming it IS "Blaxploitation," I will take that recommendation and hunt about.
Old 03-17-13, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Yes, The Internet Archive and YouTube will be really helpful. And I really appreciate some specific titles, thanks.
I might go back and look for stuff I don't have and/or haven't seen. I'd be happy to note some more suggestions if you want them.
Somehow, a third of the time I forget about them entirely; a third of the time I think them too obvious to mention, and the other third is because our Internet connection can be patchy, so I need to try and get some DVDs to cover that eventuality. (Plus, I like DVDs. And prefer them to streaming stuff.)
The Internet Archive gives you the option to directly download the flicks, so go ahead and download a few so you can watch them when your connection is down.
Old 03-17-13, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Abbott and Costello I can see as being kind of the Adam Sandlers of their day. Popular with audiences but sneered at by snobbish viewers.
Not sure if that's a positive, negative or neutral comparison...! I lean towards classing Sandler (and Ferrell) squarely in the "utter crap" camp, and hence potentially applicable for me here...
I would put it in the Illustrative Comparison camp. You have to remember, as caligulathegod indicates, there were many people in the 40s and 50s who felt A&C were "utter crap". They were the "popular" comics of the day but their art is far superior to that of Sandler and Ferrell.

If you would like the history of and what consititutes a "B" movie I recommend the wikipedia page on the subject. It's rather long but quite good. After reading it all you'll find your trough of "B" films is *much* larger than what you may have thought.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 03-17-13 at 07:09 AM.
Old 03-17-13, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Would Harryhausen pictures be considered A pictures or B pictures? I am not referring to the ones like the Sinbad movies or Jason and the Argonauts. However I recently bought a TCM Sci Fi set that includes Beast From 20,000 Fathoms, and a Harryhausen sert that includes 20,000,000 Million Miles to Earth, Earth vs the Flying Saucers, and It came From Beneath the Sea. If some of those would be B and some A, which ones would be considered B pictures?
Old 03-17-13, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Would Harryhausen pictures be considered A pictures or B pictures? I am not referring to the ones like the Sinbad movies or Jason and the Argonauts. However I recently bought a TCM Sci Fi set that includes Beast From 20,000 Fathoms, and a Harryhausen sert that includes 20,000,000 Million Miles to Earth, Earth vs the Flying Saucers, and It came From Beneath the Sea. If some of those would be B and some A, which ones would be considered B pictures?
These would all qualify for this challenge and they're all rock-solid drive-in genre fare.
Old 03-17-13, 01:21 PM

I think I came across an article and quoted from it a year or so ago that specifically stated that Harryhousen was employed by the "B" unit. It's easy to lose perspective because "B" were meant to be thrown away but they often became the most memorable.

The first 4 decades are a holdover from the Horror checklist. I really believe the golden age of exploitation was from the 30s and beyond, so that's why I insisted the early decades be optional. Might not find much beyond stag films.
Old 03-17-13, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Everything you listed is definitely safe.
Old 03-17-13, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

While searching for a list of cult movies to use for the Challenge earlier today, I came across a link that has a list of all cult movies ever made, 901 of them. Here is the link if anyone is interested:

http://www.ranker.com/list/cult-movi...ilms/reference
Old 03-17-13, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Can I get a ruling on Don Knotts movies? I recently bought this:

Don Knotts Reluctant Hero Pack (Universal):
THE GHOST AND MR. CHICKEN (1966)
THE RELUCTANT ASTRONAUT (1967)
THE SHAKIEST GUN IN THE WEST (1968)
THE LOVE GOD? (1969)

...and would love to see the four of them for this challenge. I suspect I'll be needing a break from kung fu, ninjas, and blaxploitation at some point. As I recall, the Knotts movies were done on low budgets on the Universal backlot and were only one notch above TV movies and invariably played on double features.

Plus I have a VHS copy of HOW TO FRAME A FIGG.
Old 03-17-13, 07:42 PM

THE LOVE GOD? (1969)

...and would love to see the four of them for this challenge... Plus I have a VHS copy of HOW TO FRAME A FIGG.
Titles like that, how could they NOT qualify!
Old 03-17-13, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

THE LOVE GOD? (1969)

...and would love to see the four of them for this challenge...Plus I have a VHS copy of HOW TO FRAME A FIGG.
I'd consider all of them to be firmly in the "B" film camp. His draw during those years was primarily due to his stint on The Andy Griffith Show. Those films (except for The Love God) were kiddie matinee fodder - at least that's how I first saw them during their original runs. I don't understand why UNI didn't put How to Frame a Figg in that franchise set or leave off The Love God as HTFAF is more suited to the other 3 than is TLG. After all, he only did 5 films for UNI.
Old 03-17-13, 10:02 PM

Much love for Don Knotts. The man was a genius. Knottsploitation!
Old 03-17-13, 10:10 PM

While searching for a list of cult movies to use for the Challenge earlier today, I came across a link that has a list of all cult movies ever made, 901 of them. Here is the link if anyone is interested:

http://www.ranker.com/list/cult-movi...ilms/reference
Nice list. A couple on it might be questionable but it looks about 99% ok.
Old 03-18-13, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just finished making my list of watchable titles and put the list through random.org. I'll probably start with my Frankenstein movies unless I feel like something in particular.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.