Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 2nd Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery Challenge - March 2013

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-13, 04:27 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
re: The 2nd Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery Challenge - March 2013

Thought this link was appropriate to post here.

the 25 best Action/Adventures films on Netflix streaming

Originally Posted by LJG765
I'll probably change my mind, and I'm still in the air about participating, but I tend to watch Action/Adventure movies all the time anyway.
So then watch Crime and Mystery instead!
Old 02-18-13, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
re: The 2nd Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery Challenge - March 2013

Trevor, since the Oscars Challenge ends February 24th, why not go ahead and start this one on Monday, February 25th, instead of dusk on February 28th?
Originally Posted by Trevor
Oh, good idea. Ultraman it is for me then.
Your post reminded me that I picked up a used Season 1 Vol 1 Ultraman set cheap last year. I thought about making watching that my goal for this Challenge, but it's a show I haven't seen since back in the '70s, and I started thinking I'd probably enjoy it more in small doses. I still want to watch a few eps, so I think I'm going to just watch "small doses" of a bunch of different unwatched TV stuff I have, and go ahead and list whatever qualifying stuff I happen to watch too.
Old 02-18-13, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Dimension X
Trevor, since the Oscars Challenge ends February 24th, why not go ahead and start this one on Monday, February 25th, instead of dusk on February 28th?

Your post reminded me that I picked up a used Season 1 Vol 1 Ultraman set cheap last year. I thought about making watching that my goal for this Challenge, but it's a show I haven't seen since back in the '70s, and I started thinking I'd probably enjoy it more in small doses. I still want to watch a few eps, so I think I'm going to just watch "small doses" of a bunch of different unwatched TV stuff I have, and go ahead and list whatever qualifying stuff I happen to watch too.
Good idea DX, I second starting the challenge on the 25th. I also plan to watch a lot of different thingsas well.
Old 02-19-13, 09:28 AM

I understand the enthusiasm, and feel empty with that six days of no active Challenge, but think it might be best to stay pat.

I did try to create the logic to justify holding a Leap Day Challenge during the Feb 28th/March 1st "could have been" time; but that would definitely be overkill.
Old 02-19-13, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Good idea DX, I second starting the challenge on the 25th. I also plan to watch a lot of different thingsas well.
I third the motion. I have enough stuff to watch for this challenge to last all year (all decade?) anyway and I'm champing at the bit, having grown tired of drama-heavy Oscar nominees. I even started looking for action films that are Oscar-eligible, e.g. Steven Seagal's UNDER SIEGE, to keep me psyched. I even started watching Yakuza movies over the weekend, just to get me in the mood for this challenge. I just couldn't wait!
Old 02-19-13, 01:08 PM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
SECRET OF THE INCAS was shot on location in Peru. Definitely a precursor of RAIDERS and a pretty wild movie in its own right. Yma Sumac, who was a major international music sensation at the time, plays some kind of Inca descendant of royalty. And sings, too! Heston plays a pretty mercenary character. A far cry from Moses, Ben-Hur and El Cid!
Thanks for the info Ash, I'm even more excited to see this now. Didn't Yma Sumac have an incredible vocal range or something like that? I have a vague memory of learning about her when I was just a wee land and they still taught music appreciation in public school.

I've been on a Charlton Heston kick lately, so I'll try to find this one as well.
There doesn't seem to be a DVD release available but it is streaming on Netflix and on YouTube (in 9 or 10 parts). I took a quick look at the first couple minutes on YouTube and the picture seemed pretty good.
Old 02-19-13, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I understand the enthusiasm, and feel empty with that six days of no active Challenge, but think it might be best to stay pat.
I'd like a spare 6 days where I can take a break from challenges and watch whatever I want.
Old 02-19-13, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

^I actually took the whole month off and eschewed the Academy Awards challenge. I believe I've watched 2 qualifying titles this month. After 2+ years of *heavy* participation in almost every challenge it's been a nice change of pace. I'm now ready for this one but am leaning heavily towards my unwatched TVonDVD collection for most, if not all, titles for the month. I'll probably ignore the checklist too as it seems to help keep things somewhat more laid back when I do.
Old 02-19-13, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
^I actually took the whole month off and eschewed the Academy Awards challenge. I believe I've watched 2 qualifying titles this month. After 2+ years of *heavy* participation in almost every challenge it's been a nice change of pace. I'm now ready for this one but am leaning heavily towards my unwatched TVonDVD collection for most, if not all, titles for the month. I'll probably ignore the checklist too as it seems to help keep things somewhat more laid back when I do.
I'm actually considering taking the rest of the Academy Award Challenge off to take a break before the Action/Adventure Challenge, and maybe just watch a few action movies or tv shows to get me psyched for this challenge.
Old 02-19-13, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Definitely going to participate. Had to pull out of a couple of challenges recently after having a great time with the Horror challenge. Looking forward to this and the Drive-in challenge (which may get cut short for me since I'm probably moving at the end of April).

Count me in!

Things I'd like to watch for this: unwatched noir films, Femme Fatales TV show, Spartacus, TV, Lots of other crime, action thrillers both foreign and domestic.

Last edited by indiephantom; 02-19-13 at 07:31 PM.
Old 02-19-13, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I'm actually considering taking the rest of the Academy Award Challenge off to take a break before the Action/Adventure Challenge, and maybe just watch a few action movies or tv shows to get me psyched for this challenge.
I've slowed down and have only been doing a movie a day, at most. I've been hitting a bunch of 2.5-3 hour long films, so that slows me down a lot.
Old 02-20-13, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I took a break from challenges this month as well. The funny part is I've ended up watching quite a few that qualify anyway! But it is nice not to have to watch a certain genre for awhile and not feel guilty about watching something that isn't for a challenge while one is going on.

I am starting to kind of plan on movies/shows that would qualify so am leaning towards participating more than I was earlier this week. I kind of miss filling out a checklist!
Old 02-20-13, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've been going through my dvds making a list of eligible titles, and half way through my binders I am up to 54 movies and tv series. And I have plenty of titles that are not in binders at all to count as well. So looks like I wont be hurting for what to watch, and there are plenty of online options as well. Not to mention stumbling across stuff on tv.
Old 02-20-13, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

To keep me in the mood for this challenge, I am taking a break from the Academy Award Challenge today and watching some episodes of the 80s cartoon series MASK.
Old 02-20-13, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: The 2nd Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery Challenge - March 2013

Trevor, I'd like to sponsor a prize through my blog Celluloid Terror. I can't PM you for some reason so message me!
Old 02-21-13, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: The 2nd Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery Challenge - March 2013

I got to thinking after I've been watching MASK these past couple of days as I bought Shouts Complete Series Set, why do they call it the complete series when the 2nd season racing episodes aren't included? Just seems a little odd to me.
Old 02-21-13, 01:58 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

Just a quick reminder to everyone that there is actually only 4 days that we are without a challenge if you are doing the Academy Awards Challenge. The first is on a Friday so I assume we get to start at Dusk one week from today, so really only 3 days without a challenge!
Old 02-21-13, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by SethDLH
Trevor, I'd like to sponsor a prize through my blog Celluloid Terror. I can't PM you for some reason so message me!
Awesome, thanks Seth!

And yes, PMs are the spawn of Satan and I have them off, but email turned on. I'll contact you soon.
Originally Posted by orlmac
Just a quick reminder to everyone that there is actually only 4 days that we are without a challenge if you are doing the Academy Awards Challenge. The first is on a Friday so I assume we get to start at Dusk one week from today, so really only 3 days without a challenge!
And if the award show lingers past midnight into the 25th, then really only two full days!
Old 02-22-13, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by orlmac
And is there anything stopping people from watching qualifying titles if they want to before the challenge starts. Nothing is saying you are forced to wait for a challenge to watch something you want to watch, right? I've been watching some action the past few days myself to get me in the mood for the challenge.
Old 02-22-13, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I wish there was an official overlap so we can stick to Oscar-nominated action/adventure/crime films in the four days between the Oscar ceremony and March 1. I've got quite a pile I can choose from: THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD, THE SEVEN SAMURAI, THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN, THE DIRTY DOZEN, THE WILD BUNCH, THE FRENCH CONNECTION, THE GODFATHER, SILENCE OF THE LAMBS, JFK, BUGSY, UNFORGIVEN, BRAVEHEART, JACKIE BROWN, FACE/OFF, THE MATRIX, etc.

I got myself in the mood by watching UNDER SIEGE for the Oscar challenge last night (it was nominated for Best Sound and Best Sound Effects Editing).
Old 02-24-13, 07:32 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have been trying to save qualifying movies for the challenge, but did watch Life of Pi yesterday (also watched Beasts of the Southern Wild-although I'm not participating in the Academy Award Challenge, I was getting ready for watching the Academy Awards tonight).

My goal for the coming challenge is as much diversity as possible-my usual goal. I have US, UK, French, Hong Kong, Japanese, Korean, Thai, Spanish, Mexican, Chilean, Italian, Israeli and Turkish movies in mind without giving it too much thought, so I'm sure I won't have any trouble finding worthy titles from a few more countries.
Old 02-24-13, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just finished my list of what to watch that I own that is eligible for this challenge, and I think I may start with Super Friends. Though I may not be able to watch all episodes as a couple of my discs are kind of scratched up. So I don't know how well they will play, but at the very least I have an unopenmed set of Galactic Guardians, it is just Challenge of the Super Friends disc 1 and Legendary Super Powers Disc 1 that I am worried about.
Old 02-24-13, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Going though my eliglble movies, I realized I hadn't watched kaiju in quite a while, so instead of starting with Super Friends, I may start with a Godzilla movie or maybe a Gamera movie instead. It seems the only kaiju I own that does not count for this challenge is the original Gojira, and Varan the Unbelievable.
Old 02-24-13, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't taken part in one of these before, but I may do so this time. It'll give me a chance to work through some of my unwatched discs and films on my Netflix queue, as well as an opportunity to revisit old favorites.
Old 02-24-13, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Super X
I haven't taken part in one of these before, but I may do so this time. It'll give me a chance to work through some of my unwatched discs and films on my Netflix queue, as well as an opportunity to revisit old favorites.
Welcome to the Challenge club. I hope you enjoy these as much as I do. Fair warning, you may find yourself addicted to thse challenges. I started out for a couple years just doing the Horror Challenge, and now I do almost all of them.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.