Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The 7th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (1/24 - 2/24)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 7th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (1/24 - 2/24)

Old 01-31-13, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Re: The 7th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (1/24 - 2/24)

Originally Posted by lisadoris
Though I'm not teaching my film class this semester I decided to watch a film a usual teach in that class: The Color Purple. I love this film and I can't believe it received all those nominations and walked away with zilch.
Still my most favorite Spielberg drama. I remember my mom was PISSED at the Academy for skunking that one out.

Originally Posted by gp1086
Watched Chinatown (1974) tonight and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it, and was into the story. Great to see a young Nicholson. Was this his breakout role or maybe Easy Rider (another one I haven't seen)?
Easy Rider was definetly his breakout role. But he had been acting in Corman's company through the whole 60's.

Wild Ride is my personal fav of his early B-flicks:
Old 01-31-13, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

As promised, here are my observations on last night's screening of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, as posted in my Letterboxd diary.

MILD SPOILER ALERT FOR ANYONE READING EMAILS
Spoiler:
My wait to see Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid on the big screen spans whole decades, going all the way back to the mid-90s. We had some nasty storms late last night/early in the morning and I was hopeful that it would be entirely cleared out in time for this screening. Thankfully, it was. I snagged some Movie Cash tickets through a recent General Mills cereal promotion (I can't eat the cereal, obviously, with Crohn's but my mom can and does) and that paid my way into the screening. I came out ahead because I bought the cereal for about $6 but being an XD exhibition, the movie ticket was $12...the full value of the Movie Cash!

I always feel like I catch new things each time I watch the really good films, or my favorites. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is both, standing at #6 on my Flickchart and a masterpiece by just about any standard.

What struck me most tonight was Conrad Hall's Academy Award-winning cinematography. I always knew it was a beautiful looking film, but sometimes I've wondered whether that's because Hall did such a great job or if it was more the gorgeous scenery makes the film look great regardless of the photography.

Tonight eradicated any doubt. Being an XD exhibition, this was about as large a viewing screen as there is. I was able to get a much clearer sense of Hall's framing and lighting than the TV screen at home could ever have provided.

In a lot of Westerns, the cinematography tries to keep us from realizing just how small the town set really is, afraid to go too near to the edge of buildings or to pull back very far unless the scene takes place on the open range. There aren't a lot of close-ups in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, though. Most shots show the actors from the waist up. There are an awful lot of full body shots, too.

The upshot of all this is that Butch and Sundance themselves are shown to be small figures in a larger world. Sheriff Bledsoe articulates this visual commentary in his heated chastisement of the duo: "Your times is over! Don't you get that?" These are big fish in a little pond, and that pond is getting a lot larger with every rail line and bicycle to encroach on the western territories.

Hall keeps them small every step of the way, ensuring that we see the world around them in every frame. The most obvious example is the famed chase by the super posse across the western landscape, where the pursued bandits are dwarfed by the sheer scale of the shooting locations, but that's not even the most interesting showcase.

The handiest microcosm is actually that first scene in town after they've robbed the flyer, with Butch and Sundance looking on from the balcony as the erstwhile town marshal fails to rally the townspeople. We're never very close to Butch and Sundance, who are surrounded at all times by the rest of the balcony and/or the party just visible inside the brothel.

There are, however, a few close-ups of the marshal. He's helpless, of course, and represents no actual danger to the titular duo himself, but symbolically we know that the kind of determined lawman he represents looms very large in their world and the film. William Goldman's terrific dialog tells us the marshal is the unknowing butt of the scene's joke, but Hall's cinematography begs to differ. It's the determined lawman who will get the last laugh, and that is indeed what happens.

There's also, of course, the way that Hall shot the super posse; always at a distance, until the chase reaches its nearly deadly conclusion. Even then, we can only make out the shapes of hats and the impressions of faces. These lawmen mercenaries exist more in abstraction than in reality, at least for us. We don't need to see their faces. We need only to know that they mean to apprehend and kill our law-breaking protagonists.

Lastly, there's Katherine Ross. The story goes that she incurred the wrath of both Hall and director George Roy Hill for getting a camera operator to let her work his camera during one shot on one of the very first days of photography. They were so furious that only the fact it was too late to recast her role prevented her being thrown off the film entirely.

Despite the personal and professional anger, Ross is absolutely beautiful in every shot. Whether forlorn or having the time of her life, Ross is lit and framed to melt our hearts...which, of course, she does. She has wonderful chemistry with both Paul Newman and Robert Redford, and her interactions with the two actually do indicate to us the differences of the dynamics of their various relationships.

Though she's ostensibly Sundance's girlfriend, she's at her warmest with Butch. Even though she outright asks Butch about the possibility of it having been the two of them to have become romantically involved, we never really feel that there's any risk of a love triangle or Butch and Sundance coming to blows over her. It's not until you stop and think about the fact that the story doesn't go in that direction that you realize how peculiar it is that it doesn't. At least partial credit for keeping us from even suspecting that's where things will go must go to Hall, who photographed Ross with Newman in such an innocuous, almost familial fashion.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid was re-ranked on my Flickchart to #6/1469

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
42nd Academy Awards (1969)
(W) CINEMATOGRAPHY -- Conrad Hall
(N) DIRECTING -- George Roy Hill
(W) MUSIC (Original Score--for a motion picture [not a musical]) -- Burt Bacharach
(W) MUSIC (Song--Original for the Picture) -- "Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head," Music by Burt Bacharach; Lyrics by Hal David
(N) BEST PICTURE -- John Foreman, Producer
(N) SOUND -- William Edmondson, David Dockendorf
(W) WRITING (Story and Screenplay--based on material not previously published or produced) -- William Goldman
Old 01-31-13, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

I remember seeing BUTCH CASSIDY in theaters quite often back in the day (it would usually run as a co-feature with a newer 20th Century Fox film like ESCAPE FROM THE PLANET OF THE APES or VANISHING POINT), but of all the major westerns released that summer (1969), BUTCH is the only one I haven't made a habit of revisiting much since then, whereas I have tended to re-watch the others somewhat regularly--ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST, THE WILD BUNCH, TRUE GRIT. In my memory, CASSIDY seems like such a product of its time and was, in its way, a lot more stylized and "trendy" than the others. I suppose I should watch it again to see what my feelings for it are now. Not sure I ever want to hear "Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head" again, though.
Old 01-31-13, 05:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I remember seeing BUTCH CASSIDY in theaters quite often back in the day (it would usually run as a co-feature with a newer 20th Century Fox film like ESCAPE FROM THE PLANET OF THE APES or VANISHING POINT), but of all the major westerns released that summer (1969), BUTCH is the only one I haven't made a habit of revisiting much since then, whereas I have tended to re-watch the others somewhat regularly--ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST, THE WILD BUNCH, TRUE GRIT. In my memory, CASSIDY seems like such a product of its time and was, in its way, a lot more stylized and "trendy" than the others. I suppose I should watch it again to see what my feelings for it are now. Not sure I ever want to hear "Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head" again, though.
Strother Martin was actually in three of those big Westerns of 1969: Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, True Grit and The Wild Bunch. Those were also the only three films he was in at all that year. Not too shabby a bit to have in one's filmography!

I wasn't there to know firsthand about the extent to which Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid represents the zeitgeist of its time, but I've studied it and encountered that characterization of it often. I know at least one Western purist who scoffs at the very idea that it's a Western at all. "It's a Western for people who are embarrassed by Westerns", he said once. I'm not a Western purist or even necessarily a dedicated fan of the genre, so I don't have that level of investment in defining that film's relationship with the genre.

It may be best to not even view it as a Western but instead as a period piece about the twilight of the 19th Century, because that's ultimately what it is. The running theme is that these are guys who personify the ending of an era. The fact that era was that of the Western is almost incidental, really.
Old 01-31-13, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts

I'm not a fan of Westerns as a genre but I love Butch Cassidy. I agree with MiniLShaw, the cinematography is just gorgeous, the acting is first-rate, there's the right mix of humor and seriousness, and thankfully just the hint of a love triangle (without actually giving us one). BTW, I'll PM you a black film syllabus is a few days - I hope to teach my film class in the fall so I should be thinking about it anyway.
Old 01-31-13, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm not a fan of Westerns as a genre but I love Butch Cassidy. I agree with MiniLShaw, the cinematography is just gorgeous, the acting is first-rate, there's the right mix of humor and seriousness, and thankfully just the hint of a love triangle (without actually giving us one).
I forgot to even mention in my review just how startling a few of the serious moments in the film really are, especially the confrontation with the Bolivian bandits. What makes it so perfect is that the film doesn't obsess over those moments. They happen, and the characters react. Other films might make everything come to a halt and dwell on any of several different moments in this story, but instead we're left to internalize them on our own.

Also, you flubbed my screen name (it's just MinLShaw, not MiniLShaw), but better than correcting that, just call me Travis. I've quit bothering with screen name anonymity online anyway and only keep it here because that's how the forum is set up.

BTW, I'll PM you a black film syllabus is a few days - I hope to teach my film class in the fall so I should be thinking about it anyway.
Terrific! I've only had one Make-Your-Own theme that actually satisfied me so far, and I really like the idea of deferring to you for this one.
Old 01-31-13, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh goodness I am so sorry! I will get it right from now on.

Mao, thanks for the links. Fresh Guacamole was strange but quite interesting visually, Paperman was adorable, and The Longest Daycare was crappy quality but still a cute story.
Old 01-31-13, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh goodness I am so sorry! I will get it right from now on.
No worries!

Mao, thanks for the links. Fresh Guacamole was strange but quite interesting visually, Paperman was adorable, and The Longest Daycare was crappy quality but still a cute story.
I actually saw The Longest Daycare back-to-back in a theater last summer. For my niece's 10th birthday, I had her spend the night and I took her to the midnight release of the most recent Ice Age movie. How often does a 10 year old get to go to a midnight release, right? Anyway, we sat through about 20 minutes of trailers, then The Longest Daycare...and about a minute of Ice Age before the movie froze and stuttered.

They restarted it, showing us The Longest Daycare again...and then Ice Age stalled again. We never even made it to the opening titles before they gave up on that screening and offered us rain check tickets. We were invited to slip into another auditorium for a 2D showing in progress, but my niece was starting to nod off anyway, so we just called it a night.
Old 01-31-13, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
No worries!

I actually saw The Longest Daycare back-to-back in a theater last summer. For my niece's 10th birthday, I had her spend the night and I took her to the midnight release of the most recent Ice Age movie. How often does a 10 year old get to go to a midnight release, right? Anyway, we sat through about 20 minutes of trailers, then The Longest Daycare...and about a minute of Ice Age before the movie froze and stuttered.

They restarted it, showing us The Longest Daycare again...and then Ice Age stalled again. We never even made it to the opening titles before they gave up on that screening and offered us rain check tickets. We were invited to slip into another auditorium for a 2D showing in progress, but my niece was starting to nod off anyway, so we just called it a night.
Welcome to the digital age.

When a film print broke (which did happen), the projectionist would stop, tape it back together and continue the showing.
Old 01-31-13, 11:44 AM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Watched That Touch of Mink... it was basically a 60s comedy version of 50 Shades of Grey
Old 01-31-13, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mao
Found three of this year's Animated Shorts and one Documentary short nominees online (not as many as previous years). If anyone has any luck finding shorts docs or short films somewhere other than iTunes, please post them in this thread.
According to a review I just read on Roger Ebert's site, most of the Documentary Short nominees will be online in a few weeks.
NOTE: This year's Oscar nominees for best documentary shorts are not being shown theatrically due to the excessive length of their cumulative running times. Most of them will be viewable on iTunes and YouTube beginning Feb. 19th.
Old 01-31-13, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Sondheim
According to a review I just read on Roger Ebert's site, most of the Documentary Short nominees will be online in a few weeks.
For anyone in the Oklahoma City area, the OKC Museum of Art is showing all of the shorts, including documentaries:

Oscar Tune Up: Academy Award Nominated Short Documentaries
Tuesday Thursday, February 5-7, 7:30pm
Old 02-01-13, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Cinemark Theaters are also screening the 10 Animated and Live Action shorts, on the 15th and 23rd. $10 admission for all ten shorts.

Speaking of shorts, I checked out a compilation DVD from my local library of the animated and live action nominees from the 75th Academy Awards (2002). It's missing one of the live action noms, but still a handy collection. I've just gone through all five of the animated nominees. I reviewed each film after watching it instead of doing them all at once, and I actually spent more time on the reviewing process than on viewing! Here are my remarks on those five shorts. Titles link to my Letterboxd diary entries.

75th Academy Awards (2002)
SHORT FILM (Animated) Nominees

The ChubbChubbs! -- Eric Armstrong <--WINNER
Spoiler:
This was the Best Short Film (Animated) winner at the 75th Academy Awards. It's included as a bonus feature on the Men in Black II DVD, which is where I first saw it, but it's also on a DVD collection of the short films nominated for Oscars during its year. I was never big on it, truthfully.

Without having yet watched the other nominees that it bested, my sense of it is that this one won on the basis of its CGI animation rather than its actual story, which is pretty thin and relies on some very tired gags.

The ChubbChubbs! was re-ranked on my Flickchart to #1398/1469

Das Rad [Rocks] -- Chris Stenner, Heidi Wittlinger
Spoiler:
This is a clever commentary on not just the evolution of man, but the very perception of time itself. The editing is brilliant, showing us whole eras in literal flickers. It takes a moment to catch on what's being shown, but once you do and you're in on the joke, it's terrific. How The ChubbChubbs! stole this short's Oscar, I'll never understand.

Das Rad entered my Flickchart at #593/1470

Atama-yama [Mount Head] -- Koji Yamamura
Spoiler:
If Shel Silverstein ever had a fever dream about a hoarder, I imagine it would have resembled this animated short film. The urgent narration works well with the tone of the story and the visual aesthetics, and I was particularly impressed by the animation of the first person perspective of the protagonist eating cherries...but I just couldn't really get into this one beyond digging its overall vibe.

Atama-yama entered my Flickchart at #999/1471

Mike's New Car -- Pete Docter, Roger Gould
Spoiler:
I ran into the same problems with Mike's New Car that I have with Monsters, Inc.: I dig the animation but the characters and the situation bore me. As I noted in my review of Monsters, Inc. when I re-watched that recently, for some reason I can't see Mike and Sully at all. I keep picturing Billy Crystal and John Goodman recording their lines in a sound booth. I don't know why I have these problems with these characters, especially since it's so rare for me to be taken out of the story by knowing who the voice actor is in any other animated short or feature. It's just this psychological barrier of some kind I can't get past.

Mike's New Car was re-ranked on my Flickchart to #1411/1471

Katedra [The Cathedral] -- Tomek Baginski
Spoiler:
I have absolutely no idea what the hell this was about, but it created a highly visceral setting and captivated my attention for all six minutes. It feels more like cut scene footage from a fantasy video game, or a teaser for a feature film, than a short film unto itself. The animation alone is mesmerizing. I can't say I understand anything about this one, but I liked looking at it!

Katedra entered my Flickchart at #950/1472
Old 02-01-13, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have to find some happier (or at least less infuriating) films to watch for this challenge!

One Day in September was a good movie but kind of like The Invisible War, the subject matter pissed me off. If even 1/2 of the info in this documentary are true, Germany doesn't get to host the Olympics ever again. The 72 Munich Olympics was an exercise in Murphy's Law: everything that could go wrong did and it kept going wrong over and over again. The one visual I can't shake is video of the hotel where the hostages were being held and the directly across the street you see people tanning outside and playing ping pong as if nothing is happening. What the hell was the IOC thinking by letting the games continue while this was taking place and why didn't the police clear the immediate area? I would really like to believe that the German government did not help orchestrate the release of the surviving terrorists but the folks in the doc make a very compelling case. I agree with Roger Ebert that the montage at the end was a bit tacky.

Also watched Pinky and this film was frustrating for a whole different set of reasons. I should have known things weren't going to go well when I talked to my mom right before I started the film and told her I was about to watch it and her response was "I didn't like that movie." Yeah well neither did I. The performances were quite good, all three women earned their Oscar nominations, it was the complete misunderstanding of black life in the south at that time that threw me. I would not understand why Pinky's grandmother (who didn't even get a first name in the film) was so adamant that Pinky return and remain in the south. The is counter to pretty much every book written by a black person that I have read about that time period. If a black family could afford to send a teenager to the north for schooling, they walked him/her to the train, they hugged them and said "I love you, don't ever come back." This took place in the 40s, there were no news cameras around or people actually paying attention to the fact that black folks were being disappeared or lynched. If the film took place 10 years later the behavior of Pinky's Grandmother would make sense. Ethel Waters does what she can to not fall into the devoted mammy stereotype and she's mostly successful but it's still a problematic character for a whole host of reasons.
Old 02-01-13, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have to find some happier (or at least less infuriating) films to watch for this challenge!

One Day in September was a good movie but kind of like The Invisible War, the subject matter pissed me off. If even 1/2 of the info in this documentary are true, Germany doesn't get to host the Olympics ever again. The 72 Munich Olympics was an exercise in Murphy's Law: everything that could go wrong did and it kept going wrong over and over again. The one visual I can't shake is video of the hotel where the hostages were being held and the directly across the street you see people tanning outside and playing ping pong as if nothing is happening. What the hell was the IOC thinking by letting the games continue while this was taking place and why didn't the police clear the immediate area? I would really like to believe that the German government did not help orchestrate the release of the surviving terrorists but the folks in the doc make a very compelling case. I agree with Roger Ebert that the montage at the end was a bit tacky.

Also watched Pinky and this film was frustrating for a whole different set of reasons. I should have known things weren't going to go well when I talked to my mom right before I started the film and told her I was about to watch it and her response was "I didn't like that movie." Yeah well neither did I. The performances were quite good, all three women earned their Oscar nominations, it was the complete misunderstanding of black life in the south at that time that threw me. I would not understand why Pinky's grandmother (who didn't even get a first name in the film) was so adamant that Pinky return and remain in the south. The is counter to pretty much every book written by a black person that I have read about that time period. If a black family could afford to send a teenager to the north for schooling, they walked him/her to the train, they hugged them and said "I love you, don't ever come back." This took place in the 40s, there were no news cameras around or people actually paying attention to the fact that black folks were being disappeared or lynched. If the film took place 10 years later the behavior of Pinky's Grandmother would make sense. Ethel Waters does what she can to not fall into the devoted mammy stereotype and she's mostly successful but it's still a problematic character for a whole host of reasons.
John Ford was the original director on that, an odd choice given his paternalism toward blacks. He and Waters didn't get along and at some point, he was off the film and Elia Kazan was on. Kazan and Waters had a much better working relationship and Kazan tried his best to make a meaningful film out of compromised material. Richard Schickel's biography of Kazan devotes some attention to this. (It's an excellent book and you might want to pick it up anyway.) I was fascinated by the notion of Waters, a black actress, getting a powerful white director like Ford fired, but it didn't quite happen that way. Ford kind of initiated the parting of the ways, but I forget the actual details. Still, it's easy to forget how big a star Waters was back then, maybe not in Hollywood itself, but in the general popular culture as a recording star, concert artist, nightclub performer, radio, etc.

What's significant for me about this film was the participation of theater great Frederick O'Neal and actress Nina Mae McKinney--in one of her very few film roles since starring in King Vidor's HALLELUJAH 20 years earlier, the first all-black film of the sound era. (Have you ever seen it? All shot on location in, I believe, Louisiana.)
Old 02-01-13, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

I'm getting a bit fed up with Amazon Prime Instant Video for two reasons: switching what's free without notice or lists and having the wrong films under some titles!

The latter point first: during November I sat down to watch the Peter Cook/Drudley Moore Hound of the Baskervilles, listed as free to view with Prime. It started, and they were absent from the credits, but Peter Cushing was there... a swift check elsewhere and it was clear that Amazon had put the Hammer Hound up instead of the comedic take. Today, I sat down for Witness for the Prosecution with Marlene Dietrich and Tyrone Power. They were not in the credits, but Diana Rigg and Donald Pleasance were... meaning that Amazon have the 1982 TVM in place of the Oscar-winning film.

I tried to bring Hound to their attention two+ months ago, and have heard nothing. (Does anyone know where best to raise this issue..?)

So, lacking Witness, I checked my lengthy list - compiled over many days - for other applicable films that were Prime-d and free: The Philadelphia Story, Brigadoon, Citizen Kane and Father of the Bride - all (allegedly) free within the last couple of weeks, all now NOT free.

When we signed up for Prime, the Instant Video was one of the key factors, and it was not at all clear that things would rotate in and out. Once it became clear, I reasoned that turnover would not be a terrible thing all told, and occasional disappointments (Spies Like Us during November is another example) would hopefully be balanced by new additions. And that might be true.

BUT. There seems to be no way to guess what will expire and vanish. There is no obvious indication on the pages which might suggest (as hulu has) how long one has to watch something.*

Most damningly and irritating, there seems to be no way to list the newly-free titles that - optimistically - I assume have replaced those that are now gone.

So my lists are now bordering on the useless; my viewing schedule is shot and I'm quite disillusioned with the whole aspect of Amazon's - great in theory, and still fairly good in fact - free streaming video. I know they don't owe me per se (although we ARE paying), but this is VERY annoying.

*I wonder what might happen if I was in the middle of watching something when it expired? Would I be able to finish watching it, or would I be out of luck unless I paid - and would it be full price?
Old 02-01-13, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by ntnon
I'm getting a bit fed up with Amazon Prime Instant Video for two reasons: switching what's free without notice or lists and having the wrong films under some titles!

...(Does anyone know where best to raise this issue..?)
I just shared a link to your post in a tweet to @AmazonVideo, the official Twitter feed for Amazon Instant Video. I'll letcha know if I hear anything from 'em.
Old 02-01-13, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
I decided after watching the season premiere of Dallas to revisit A.I. Artificial Intelligence, which I've not seen since it opened in theaters in 2001.
I saw it then, too. I didn't really enjoy it or hate it, and although I tend not to like Jude Law, I thought he was reasonably well cast. But the ending was awful. Not least for being wholly unnecessary, overly-sentimental and irritating. Until the third Lord of the Rings, it was also the most egregious example I'd seen of a film having a double-ending.

Draw to a close. Wrap up the story. Fade to black. The End? No... and not just a coda, a whole 'nother scene!
Old 02-01-13, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by ntnon
I saw it then, too. I didn't really enjoy it or hate it, and although I tend not to like Jude Law, I thought he was reasonably well cast. But the ending was awful. Not least for being wholly unnecessary, overly-sentimental and irritating. Until the third Lord of the Rings, it was also the most egregious example I'd seen of a film having a double-ending.

Draw to a close. Wrap up the story. Fade to black. The End? No... and not just a coda, a whole 'nother scene!
I felt similarly in 2001. It does feel disjointed, but this time around I felt like it worked a lot better. One of the themes that David represents is the nature of "eternal" love. We fawn over it because we are not eternal beings. Even religions that embrace the view of an afterlife rarely suggest that our relationships will continue in the same way as they did on Earth. David, though, very literally represents a being who actually can continue to love eternally.

The finale of the film does play like a sort of tacked-on afterthought, but I actually think that works because the very question of "What will it be like for David when he outlives his mother?" doesn't seem to have been considered during his creation. That is, he was built to outlast his human parents because that appealed to the vanity of humanity; no regard was given to what would become of David, though. I think if the film ends without skipping ahead, then it avoids making us think about that point and that's one of the most important questions raised by the very premise of the film.

My problem with the finale remains, though, that it just doesn't make sense to me that no one found him for two thousand years within swimming distance of where he escaped from people who were obsessed with finding him. I get the philosophical reason for his prolonged isolation and all that, but it just doesn't have any in-story logistical plausibility.
Old 02-01-13, 04:04 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

NOTE: This year's Oscar nominees for best documentary shorts are not being shown theatrically due to the excessive length of their cumulative running times. Most of them will be viewable on iTunes and YouTube beginning Feb. 19th.
well that's not stopping the West End Cinema from showing them a complete running time of 200 min. (which includes an intermission) The short docs will also be shown at the National Archives on the day of the Oscars.
Old 02-01-13, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ash Ketchum: I knew a little of the background on Ford's exit from Pinky but I've never heard/read the entire story. I've seen bits and pieces of Hallelujah but never the whole thing. Hey, it was nominated for an Oscar, I'll try to track it before the end of the month.

In Cold Blood was an interesting film. Loved the score, even if Roger Ebert didn't, and it makes me want to read the book one of these years.

I really enjoyed The Buddy Holly Story. Love the fact that the actors did their own singing and played their own instruments. The scenes at the Apollo were priceless (though I read the audience did not warm up to Holly & the Crickets nearly as quickly as the film suggested).

Last edited by lisadoris; 02-01-13 at 05:56 PM.
Old 02-01-13, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

MinLShaw: I knew a little of the background on Ford's exit from Pinky but I've never heard/read the entire story. I've seen bits and pieces of Hallelujah but never the whole thing. Hey, it was nominated for an Oscar, I'll try to track it before the end of the month.
Well, the good news is that you got the screen name right this time (you're still welcome to dispense with it entirely, though). The bad news is that it was Ash Ketchum who shared that info about Pinky. :P
Old 02-01-13, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dagnamit I just can't win for losing!
Old 02-01-13, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Dagnamit I just can't win for losing!
hm?
Old 02-01-13, 07:25 PM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
hm?
Forgive lisadoris...she's not thinking straight...must be all those movies she's watching!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.