Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The 7th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (1/24 - 2/24)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 7th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (1/24 - 2/24)

Old 01-27-13, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: The 7th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (1/24 - 2/24)

Just watched a good movie that I hadn't seen in years, as it does not even seem to be on TCM all that often, Cliff Robertson in Charly. Interesting side note was that he was so worried about film makers ruining the film version of his tv movie, he bought the film rights so he could make sure it was done right.
Old 01-27-13, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by lisadoris
Had a couple of first-time viewings today. I did not enjoy Spellbound which is weird. I typically love Hitchcock but I just couldn't get past the sexism in the film.
Yeah, I've never really liked Spellbound either aside from the Dali setpieces/dream sequence. I think it's probably because I find Gregory Peck pretty weak in the lead role. Although that's probably not the worst Hitchcock film that Ingrid Bergman was a part of, Under Capricorn is far worse.
Old 01-27-13, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts

^Agree about Capricorn. I don't know how I was able to stay awake through that one.

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Just watched a good movie that I hadn't seen in years, as it does not even seem to be on TCM all that often, Cliff Robertson in Charly. Interesting side note was that he was so worried about film makers ruining the film version of his tv movie, he bought the film rights so he could make sure it was done right.
Watched this earlier. Very interesting story, but mixed results. On the plus side, Claire Bloom was lookin' hot!
Old 01-28-13, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You ever have a memory of watching a movie that you never saw before? I'm experiencing that right now as I watch The Picture of Dorian Gray. I swear I've seen this movie before but as it goes on, it rings no memory. It is cool to see a very young Angela Lansbury.
Old 01-28-13, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Watched Anonymous today. It was actually a little better than I'd thought it would be. Some of the plot is quite ludicrous. But all in all I enjoyed the film. I thought the flashbacks were pretty effective in fleshing out the characters.
Old 01-28-13, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I finally got underway earlier this afternoon with Searching for Sugar Man, one of this year's Best Documentary (Feature) nominees. Here's my review, as posted in my Letterboxd diary:

I had a free Redbox rental code and decided to start the 2013 DVD Talk Academy Awards Challenge with this Best Documentary nominee. I'd heard some good buzz from some online pals, so I went into it hopeful though I knew nothing of it other than its title since I didn't even bother to read the Redbox synopsis. In fact, I wasn't even sure offhand whether it was a nominee for Documentary or Foreign Language Film, to be honest.

The story itself, of a forgotten, obscure recording artist who never knew he was a giant in South Africa, is intriguing. In fact, at several points I was tempted to interrupt my viewing by going online to verify whether this was a true documentary or an Exit Through the Gift Shop-style mockumentary.

Rodriguez's songs have a great sound to them, though there is a sort of tonal monotony to those played throughout this film. Still, I admit I've already decided I want to add some of his music to my library and I'll be scouring Amazon after I write this review. "I Wonder" has a sort of hypnotic quality and I'd love to hear it in its entirety. "Sugar Man" is a fun-sounding ode to a drug dealer and the fact that's how I can best think to characterize it alone justifies adding it to my library.

The problem I have with Searching for Sugar Man is that it drags too much. I found myself checking the timer on the Blu-ray player to see how far into the doc I was. The detective legwork segments interested me, as did several of the interviews themselves, but I just felt like I spent too much of the first hour waiting for the film to catch up with itself.

I think that's because the doc opens with nearly 15 minutes about Rodriguez and his life in Detroit, so I knew for most of the first hour what was being tracked down and discovered. It's hardly my place to tell an Academy Award nominee how his film ought to have been structured, but by starting in Detroit I was bored by the floundering of the interviewees searching for what I'd been told already.

Still, Rodriguez's is an intriguing story and Searching for Sugar Man is a decent telling of it.

Searching for Sugar Man entered my Flickchart at #936/1469
Searching for Sugar Man
85th Academy Awards (2012)
(N) DOCUMENTARY FEATURE -- Malik Bendjelloul and Simon Chinn

Last edited by Travis McClain; 01-29-13 at 03:39 AM. Reason: formatting
Old 01-29-13, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I decided after watching the season premiere of Dallas to revisit A.I. Artificial Intelligence, which I've not seen since it opened in theaters in 2001. I remember discussing it on this forum a few years ago and that conversation piqued my curiosity about how I might feel about it at this point in my life. I watched it and then went to bed, promptly tossing and turning. I got up and took a pain pill and a sleeping pill and in lieu of falling asleep after that, I wound up writing the following lengthy review in my Letterboxd diary. It's spoiler'd mostly for length, but also for some actual spoilers.

SPOILER ALERT FOR ANYONE READING EMAILS
Spoiler:
I've been meaning to re-watch A.I. for quite a while now, having not seen it since it opened in theaters nearly 12 years ago. I wasn't terribly thrilled by it at the time, though I was of course much younger and less experienced then. It became more intriguing to me to revisit it once I had my breakthrough with Eyes Wide Shut, which I was also too young and inexperienced to properly appreciate at the time of its release.

Of course, A.I. was the film Stanley Kubrick had on deck to follow Eyes Wide Shut and was undertaken by Steven Spielberg. I don't know if I knew that at the time but even if I did, I didn't understand Kubrick enough to really get what difference it made.

Re-watching it this time, though, I can see both the Kubrick and Spielberg elements throughout the picture. There are some scenes that feel crafted by Kubrick even though he had nothing to do with the film Spielberg made. Some sequences show the Spielberg touch, and I found myself wondering how Kubrick might have shot them instead. It's particularly curious as Kubrick's storytelling aesthetic, though meticulous, was emotionally cold whereas Spielberg is synonymous with emotional manipulation.

Take, for instance, the scene where David witnesses the damaged Mechas scavenge for parts. It's easy to imagine Kubrick staging that in a distant way, the Mechas going about their business as a matter of fact with David perhaps taking a sort of indifferent pity on them. In Spielberg's hands, though, we're first intimidated by them. They're frightening, almost like cyborg zombies, before we see them for the pathetic wretches they really are.

Once we identify with the Mechas, we're invested enough in them that the ensuing passage of the film - the hunt through the woods, followed by the appalling Flesh Fair - is difficult to watch. We become aware of just what danger David really faces; how cruel his world truly is.

Kubrick, I think, would have presented it differently. His human antagonists would have been more cerebral, their war on Mechas more clinical. Spielberg reduces them to redneck caricatures. It's far less nuanced or high brow, but it's more emotionally affecting. Those people are a shorthand for an uncouth, thoughtless and superstitious mob and we immediately understand why there's no chance of appealing to them intellectually for a reprieve.

In the end, though, A.I. still suffers from the same basic issue I had with it in the first place: the story relies on David's desperation for the love of his mother but it isn't satisfactorily developed. Monica "imprints" on David after a single scene because the story needs her to; not because it makes sense.

Moreover, there's the curious passage of time. How long was David with the family before Martin was revived? How long was he with them after Martin returned? Long enough for us to see Martin progress from a wheelchair and an oxygen tank to exo-skeletal leg braces, to being able to walk and stand on his own at the pool party. Surely in all that time, enough happened for the family to learn to communicate more clearly?

How hard should it have really been for them to sit down and hear both sides of the story over the hair-cutting incident, or to even bother listening to what happened at the pool? Why didn't Martin speak up? He recognized that the other kid had frightened David, who hid behind him for protection. Yet, presumably, once he was fished out of the pool, he threw David under the bus entirely? No one bothered to even clear up what actually happened?

For that matter, why is it that David eats spinach and his face melts, but he can lie under water without so much as a glitch? That's some awfully selective cybernetic equipment.

Then there's the finale, which I never liked. I get that it takes the Pinocchio allegory to its farthest, saddest conclusion and how that all works as a commentary on the loneliness of eternal love and the human equation, etc. But it skips forward 2000 years just to get us to a point where David is special for having had contact with actual human beings again, because the story needs that to happen and not because there's any in-story reason for it. I never understood why the cybernetics company would have its HQ and lab in the half-drowned building in Manhattan anyway, but I can't comprehend that no one pieced together where David went or didn't go looking for him. What, not a single security camera to show him going into the water? He fell in basically within eyesight of where he wound up in the submerged police vehicle, which means he didn't get that far. He stayed there for two thousand years. How feeble a search did they conduct to find him?

I watched A.I. again in the context of the 2013 DVD Talk Academy Awards Challenge, so it's probably worth commenting on the elements that were nominated.

John Williams's score was actually one of two of his in the running for Best Music (Original Score), the other being his work for Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. This is a different kind of score for Williams, bereft of the kinds of iconic themes that dominate the rest of his illustrious body of work. I noticed throughout the film tonight that my sub-woofer rumbled often, even in parts where the score itself wasn't particularly pronounced. It does feel like a more "mature" score than traditional Williams fare, but it also isn't particularly memorable. Williams lost to Howard Shore's score for The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring and I'd say deservedly so.

The other Oscar nomination was for its visual effects, which also went to Fellowship. There's no shame having lost to Fellowship, but I do have to say that the visual effects have aged very well. A.I. doesn't look like a typical late-90's/early-00's production with the conspicuous exception of Dr. Know, which looks more like the Jaws 30 graphic in Back to the Future, Part II. The Mechas are really well crafted, and I have to give Spielberg and cinematographer Janusz Kaminski credit for not allowing the camera to linger in an attempt to dazzle us with the Mecha effects. They're shot as though they were ordinary characters, though there is one glaring moment where the female nanny Mecha, running from pursuers, turns her head to the left and right, showing us that her head is mostly exposed between her face and the back of her head. It's an organic moment, though, as an ordinary character would also reasonably pause and look both ways at that moment so I forgive that shot.

A.I. Artificial Intelligence was re-ranked on my Flickchart from #930 to #351/1469

A.I. Artificial Intelligence
74th Academy Awards (2001)
(N) MUSIC (Original Score) -- John Williams
(N) VISUAL EFFECTS -- Dennis Muren, Scott Farrar, Stan Winston, Michael Lantieri
Old 01-29-13, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 283 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
I decided after watching the season premiere of Dallas to revisit A.I. Artificial Intelligence, which I've not seen since it opened in theaters in 2001. I remember discussing it on this forum a few years ago and that conversation piqued my curiosity about how I might feel about it at this point in my life. I watched it and then went to bed, promptly tossing and turning. I got up and took a pain pill and a sleeping pill and in lieu of falling asleep after that, I wound up writing the following lengthy review <SNIP.
Next time, watch an episode of the b&w Japanese original, "Astro Boy," before going to bed...it's much more relaxing. (And it would qualify for the TV Challenge, which is still on.)
Old 01-29-13, 12:03 PM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Watched Seven Samurai for the first time, great film, glad I finally got around to watching it.
Old 01-29-13, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts

I decided after watching the season premiere of Dallas to revisit A.I. Artificial Intelligence, which I've not seen since it opened in theaters in 2001.
I haven't seen A.I. Artificial Intelligence in years. When it first came out, I rented it again and again. I'm a bit worried that I will be disappointed if I rewatch it. The fact that I really don't remember the narrative but do remember the questions about relationships, mortality, and consciousness that I pondered after watching it.

Yesterday, I watched David Lean's beautiful Blithe Spirit on glorious BD. The film is rife with Noel Coward's wit, and the characters are so caught in the repression and melancholy of upper class British life. Everyone is great.

I also finally watched Moonrise Kingdom which is surprising since Wes Anderson is one of my favorite directors. Anderson's style is in overdrive, and his characters are so interesting that a movie could center around any of them. I can just imagine a documentary featuring Bob Balaban's character. I would watch the hell out of it!
Old 01-29-13, 06:16 PM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

lisadoris is kicking our asses again, as usual!

I mean, 6 days in and she's already 1/4 to her 100 goal again!

Man, I wish I had the time!
Old 01-29-13, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

It's been slow going for me. 2+ hour long movies takes a toll, especially when you hit a bad one. Thankfully my worst movie so far hasn't been anything excruciatingly painful.
Old 01-29-13, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mao

I think she watches movies in a TARDIS, so it's kind of an unfair comparison.
Old 01-29-13, 06:36 PM
Mao

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
It's been slow going for me. 2+ hour long movies takes a toll, especially when you hit a bad one. Thankfully my worst movie so far hasn't been anything excruciatingly painful.
And that would be?
Old 01-29-13, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mao
And that would be?
The Hours. The Piano is a close second but The Hours is one of those types of films that it's already described as the link between the different people and then just waiting till the end for it to blow it's load and try to wow you. Getting there hasn't been as bad as similar films end up being.

As for The Piano, that little girl was so freaking annoying at the beginning. Wishing they drowned her at the beach.
Old 01-29-13, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 145 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Mao

It helps when students don't turn in their work so I don't have to spend time grading papers. Seriously, 28 students and only 10 turned in the first essay - and they'll all blame me for their grade at the end of the semester! Plus, those Disney and Pixar cartoons are under 2hrs for the most part.

I saw The Invisible War in the local library and wasn't going to watch it until mrcellophane mentioned it. A film hasn't made me that angry and sad and frustrated in a long time. Important film but really difficult to get through.

I think the only reason I made it through The Blind Side was because I was still pissed off over The Invisible War. I cannot believe Sandra Bullock won the Oscar for this saccharine and simplistic film. The only positive thing about it is that it makes me want to read Michael Oher's side of the story (I know he was not happy with the portrayal).
Old 01-30-13, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It helps when students don't turn in their work so I don't have to spend time grading papers. Seriously, 28 students and only 10 turned in the first essay - and they'll all blame me for their grade at the end of the semester!
I'm sure you've answered this previously and you probably even told me once upon a time, but what subject/grade do you teach?

As for me, I'm waiting for a nasty storm system to move in and I just finished re-watching The Odd Couple on DVD. Here's my review, as posted in my Letterboxd diary:

SPOILER ALERT FOR ANYONE READING EMAILS

Spoiler:
I first encountered The Odd Couple as the TV show in reruns on Nick at Nite in the 90s. It had its moments, but I felt it was pretty much a one-trick pony and tired of it early. My interest in the film was bolstered tremendously after I saw Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau in Grumpy Old Men, though it was quite some time before I ever finally got around to seeing this film version of Neil Simon's play.

Since the last time I watched The Odd Couple, I've spent a weekend in a mental health facility for suicidal depression and my marriage has collapsed. I've sort of been holding off on revisiting this film knowing that I would have a strong but unpredictable emotional reaction to Felix Ungar's character arc.

Truth be told, I've been melancholy lately though I don't feel I'm in any danger of slipping back into actual depression. I found myself empathizing with Lemmon's Felix more achingly than in previous viewings, but I also found myself laughing at the often dark humor more than I remember doing during previous viewings. I think there's something about experience that makes imitation funnier, but what do I know?

It would have been very easy for The Odd Couple to rely entirely on mocking gender role identity norms of its day - specifically, male gender role norms. There's some of that here, of course, but Oscar (Matthau) never actually belittles Felix for not being masculine enough. He finds Felix's behaviors irritating, but it's the behaviors themselves and not that Felix isn't sufficiently macho that's the source of their conflict. (And, in fairness, who wouldn't find Felix frustrating?)

I remember when I was discharged from the mental health facility and I informed my friends about where I'd been and what was going on. They were quick to rally around me, and I appreciated that immensely. There was, of course, a sort of sense that they were treating me with kid gloves the way that Oscar treats Felix in the beginning of the film. I needed it at the time, though, and I like to think that unlike Felix, I wasn't exasperating for my friends. If I was, at least they were all patient and forgiving enough not to chase me out of their homes!

In previous viewings, I recall feeling that the film more or less just kind of runs down the clock and ends because it's out of ideas. This time, though, perhaps because of my personal experiences, I found the finale more satisfying. I liked that Felix's arc isn't resolved but that he feels confident facing whatever comes next. That's how I've felt since late 2011.

The Odd Couple was nominated for two Academy Awards: FILM EDITING (Frank Bacht) and WRITING (Screenplay--based on material from another medium) (Neil Simon). Editing is a hard thing for the uninformed like me to really discuss unless it's conspicuous and I can't say I feel that the editing here is. The story and dialog are terrific. The Odd Couple is the only nominee from its year in that field that I've seen, so I can't say anything about how it compares with its competition.

I was surprised that Neal Hefti's addictive score wasn't nominated! I can accept that it was a crowded field that year and I can accept it not winning, but still... Here were the five scores that made it, incidentally:

The Fox -- Lalo Schifrin
The Lion in Winter -- John Barry <-- WINNER
Planet of the Apes -- Jerry Goldsmith
The Shoes of the Fisherman -- Alex North
The Thomas Crown Affair -- Michel Legrand

The Odd Couple was re-ranked to #220/1469 on my Flickchart

The Odd Couple
41st Academy Awards (1968)
(N) FILM EDITING -- Frank Bracht
(N) WRITING (Screenplay--based on material from another medium) -- Neil Simon
Old 01-30-13, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm sure you've answered this previously and you probably even told me once upon a time, but what subject/grade do you teach?
I'm a college professor so I'm dealing with adults. As I say in the syllabus, I will not care about their grade more than they do.

Since I wasn't interested in watching any news last night I snuck in Carmen Jones. I love the story and I love the actors but I still can't get past the voice dubbing. I know why they did it but it just seems insane to cast Dorthy Dandridge and Harry Belafonte, both of whom have wonderful singing voices, and them not let them actually sing. It continues to bug me. It's also weird to see Brock Peters as an antagonist in this film b/c now I think of him as Joseph Sisko from DS9.
Old 01-30-13, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm a college professor so I'm dealing with adults. As I say in the syllabus, I will not care about their grade more than they do.
My favorite line was always, "I don't give you grades; you earn them." Also, Perfesser, you didn't tell me what you teach! :P

It's also weird to see Brock Peters as an antagonist in this film b/c now I think of him as Joseph Sisko from DS9.
Aha! So you're one of the other 17 people who bothered to watch Deep Space Nine! I had a similar feeling when I saw To Kill a Mockingbird at The Louisville Palace last summer, having forgotten entirely that he's the accused man in that film. For some reason, though, I kept thinking of him as Admiral Cartwright instead of Joseph Sisko. Maybe the courtroom setting evoked The Undiscovered Country?
Old 01-30-13, 07:20 PM
Mao

Found three of this year's Animated Shorts and one Documentary short nominees online (not as many as previous years). If anyone has any luck finding shorts docs or short films somewhere other than iTunes, please post them in this thread.

Maggie Simpson in The Longest Daycare (horrible handheld quality, but, heck, it's on youtube!): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMhNHP5t6M8

Fresh Guacamole: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQMO6vjmkyI

Paperman: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTLySbGoMX0

Inocente: http://www.mtv.com/videos/inocente/1...00&channelId=1
Old 01-30-13, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Don't have the link handy, and it's not this year, but Pigs in a Polka from looney Tunes 1942 which was nominated for best animated short subject is on youtube.
Old 01-30-13, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I teach African American pop culture (TV, sport, film, etc).

Though I'm not teaching my film class this semester I decided to watch a film a usual teach in that class: The Color Purple. I love this film and I can't believe it received all those nominations and walked away with zilch. It's one of my favorite Spielberg films though it's not as deep as the book. Actually, I watched my top 3 Spielberg films today with Jaws and Close Encounters. Roy Scheider had the best reaction shots throughout Jaws and for some reason I always try to imagine what this film would have been like if Bruce had actually worked the way he was supposed to.

I think I'm going to try to do an Ang Lee trilogy tomorrow.
Old 01-30-13, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I teach African American pop culture (TV, sport, film, etc).
I have a request for you. Would you put together a "syllabus" of sorts for me of movies to watch in May for the Make-Your-Own Challenge? That concept really intrigues me! I took a few courses on African-American history, and those included some discussions of pop culture but that wasn't the central focus.

As for me, I made it to Cinemark's screening of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid tonight. I have no idea how many times I've seen it, though this is the fourth year I've watched it for this challenge. I'll be reviewing it in my Letterboxd diary in a little while.

Real quick, though: I was in Best Buy earlier tonight to take advantage of their Upgrade & Save promo and I came across a Blu-ray box set of five Best Picture Winners: Shakespeare in Love, The English Patient, Chicago, No Country for Old Men and Crash. The regular price is $49.99, but it was on sale for $19.99. Throw in the $5 U&S coupon and I got that set for $14.99 out of pocket! I've seen the last three and liked them all well enough that I couldn't pass up that deal.
Old 01-31-13, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
The Hours. The Piano is a close second but The Hours is one of those types of films that it's already described as the link between the different people and then just waiting till the end for it to blow it's load and try to wow you. Getting there hasn't been as bad as similar films end up being.
The Hours is one of my favorite films, but I definitely see the ways that it would alienate viewers. I am a huge fan of Virginia Woolf and Michael Cunningham (who wrote the book on which the film is based) so I have a natural bias. You should check out the film's trailer; the makers either hadn't seen the film or were really pissed that it wasn't a thriller/horror film.

I saw The Invisible War in the local library and wasn't going to watch it until mrcellophane mentioned it. A film hasn't made me that angry and sad and frustrated in a long time. Important film but really difficult to get through.
The Invisible War was so painful. I liked that the filmmakers didn't sensationalize and presented the stories and facts in a very straightforward way. I will be truthful and say that I wouldn't have watched it if it hadn't been nominated for an Oscar. The subject matter really saddened and angered me.

You also gave me a good idea! I did some research and found some articles about the problems with The Blind Side (a film I don't like). I teach Composition classes, and I ask my students to develop an evaluation/ethical argument centered around a film that touches on gender, race, or religion. In every class, there is always some student who writes about the awesomeness of this film and cannot grasp the problems in its portrayal of race relations. Perhaps bringing in some articles about the negative reactions will help balance views.
Old 01-31-13, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I'm a solid two movies deep right now (good thing my goal is 20 - all new watches).

Watched Chinatown (1974) tonight and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it, and was into the story. Great to see a young Nicholson. Was this his breakout role or maybe Easy Rider (another one I haven't seen)?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.