Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The 7th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (1/24 - 2/24)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 7th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (1/24 - 2/24)

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-13, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
Re: The 7th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (1/24 - 2/24)

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Is it true that no Looney Tunes, Three Stooges, or Popeye were ever nominated for Academy Awards? or was I not using the database correctly? All I know is when I looked them up I came up with no results.
The problem is that "Looney Tunes", "The Three Stooges" and "Popeye" don't appear in the actual titles. Warner Bros. released a compilation of all their Academy-nominated animated short films a few years ago. They also released a single-disc edition of just the winners. That disc has turned up lately in a $5 assortment of animated DVDs at Walmart. It actually features a lot more "Tom and Jerry" cartoons than "Looney Tunes". Those were made by MGM, but Warner now has the rights to them. Warner also has the rights to the Popeye shorts. There are none on the Winners disc, but if any were nominated they'd be in the full box.

Three Stooges - both nominated, but neither won
"Men in Black" (1928)
"Sock-a-Bye Baby" (1942)
Old 01-17-13, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Hmm. A sort of catch-all "Awards Season Challenge"? It has some measure of appeal, I have to admit, but I personally prefer the narrow focus of the Academy Awards Challenge by itself. Still, I could see something like that working as a sort of an expert level sub-challenge, such as what Chad has done with the Horror Challenge.
I don't like allowing any awards unless there were maybe 2 or 3 others that were rotated out each year. Allowing any awards could allow all those smaller, personal type award lists, basically allowing anything in since if you search hard enough, you could find some website that gave something it's own award.
Old 01-17-13, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I don't like allowing any awards unless there were maybe 2 or 3 others that were rotated out each year. Allowing any awards could allow all those smaller, personal type award lists, basically allowing anything in since if you search hard enough, you could find some website that gave something it's own award.
As a participant, I quite agree. As I mentioned in my comments, one thing I enjoy most about this challenge is its specificity. However, on the brainstorming level, there's something to be considered about this. I would suggest restricting it to specific Awards. Maybe the BAFTAs, Golden Globes, Writer's Guild and Director's Guild. I would imagine there'd be a lot of overlap, but just enough variance to make the combination of those four interesting.

But, yeah, I'm only interested personally in the Academy Awards themselves. Maybe if I ever see all of the thousand or so eligible movies and shorts, I'll feel more excited about expanding the scope of this challenge.
Old 01-17-13, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I can understand not allowing all awards. I mean, if we allowed all awards, what is to stop people from watching something that won a Razzie in the Academy Award Challenge? Right?
Old 01-17-13, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

I can understand not allowing all awards. I mean, if we allowed all awards, what is to stop people from watching something that won a Razzie in the Academy Award Challenge? Right?
I actually wouldn't mind a seeing a Razzie recipient allowed. When you start to get burned out on all the good stuff, take a break with the opposite to recharge yourself to appreciate the good again. Nothing I'd cry about if it wasn't allowed but I just know how it sometimes gets during the middle of a challenge where you just need that break.
Old 01-17-13, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I actually wouldn't mind a seeing a Razzie recipient allowed. When you start to get burned out on all the good stuff, take a break with the opposite to recharge yourself to appreciate the good again. Nothing I'd cry about if it wasn't allowed but I just know how it sometimes gets during the middle of a challenge where you just need that break.
Hmm, when you put it that way, I actually see your point.
Old 01-17-13, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

I thought that was what the effects and song nominees were for.
Old 01-17-13, 10:11 PM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
I thought that was what the effects and song nominees were for.
Old 01-18-13, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

The problem is that "Looney Tunes", "The Three Stooges" and "Popeye" don't appear in the actual titles. Warner Bros. released a compilation of all their Academy-nominated animated short films a few years ago. They also released a single-disc edition of just the winners. That disc has turned up lately in a $5 assortment of animated DVDs at Walmart. It actually features a lot more "Tom and Jerry" cartoons than "Looney Tunes". Those were made by MGM, but Warner now has the rights to them. Warner also has the rights to the Popeye shorts. There are none on the Winners disc, but if any were nominated they'd be in the full box.

Three Stooges - both nominated, but neither won
"Men in Black" (1928)
"Sock-a-Bye Baby" (1942)
I have that set: "Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Academy Awards Animation Collection." It has about 18 Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies (WB) cartoons, but only one Popeye: "Popeye the Sailor Meets Sindbad the Sailor," one of the three color 2-reeler Popeye cartoons from the '30s.
Old 01-18-13, 01:31 PM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Love this challenge, ever year I get to check movies off my 'Movie Bucket List' (like Gone with the Wind, Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Ben Hur and Network). This year I'll get to Midnight Cowboy, Patton and Fiddler on the Roof.
Old 01-19-13, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

As a participant, I quite agree [about allowing any awards]. As I mentioned in my comments, one thing I enjoy most about this challenge is its specificity. However, on the brainstorming level, there's something to be considered about this. I would suggest restricting it to specific Awards. Maybe the BAFTAs, Golden Globes, Writer's Guild and Director's Guild. I would imagine there'd be a lot of overlap, but just enough variance to make the combination of those four interesting.
I'm in almost-complete agreement about the specificity of the AA/Oscars Challenge... the only reason I floated an extension was to allow more choice for a crossover between TV and Academy Awards. While you're right that there are dual-options, they are fairly narrow and restrictive (and many - esp. Disney TV shows - may not be easily available) while allowing certain-Award-winning TV shows to count as honorary Oscar checks might make that fairly lengthy crossover period easier for participants in both not to have to choose one-or-the-other challenge.

I like your four additional Awards - IF any are necessary - because the Globes and Guilds should cover most of the "Overlooked by Oscar" films that show up on lists around these times of year.

Although adding more potentially-qualifying items would make planning the viewing/long lists even more difficult, as the titles would get (more) unwieldy!

I'm only interested personally in the Academy Awards themselves. Maybe if I ever see all of the thousand or so eligible movies and shorts, I'll feel more excited about expanding the scope of this challenge.
Likewise. I was just making waves/sounding out other opinions on ways to make challenge crossover easier - and then only because Criterion/Horror, Horror/Comedy, Comedy/Holiday and Holiday/TV all work so well (for the one day). (Perhaps another easier thought might be to make the AA Challenge just the month of February, rather than including a week of January... I assume the reason is to give it a 'full' month for viewings?)
Old 01-19-13, 03:00 PM

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

I like the idea of juxtaposing the Oscars with the anti-Oscars, too. It would allow for an easy-enough - and potentially really interesting - checklist item: "watch the Best and Worst film from a given year"!

But now I'm in danger of having it said that I suggested making the most clear-cut and not-open-to-interpretation Challenge into a complicated and vague mess! Sorry about that...
Old 01-19-13, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I have that set: "Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Academy Awards Animation Collection." It has about 18 Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies (WB) cartoons, but only one Popeye: "Popeye the Sailor Meets Sindbad the Sailor," one of the three color 2-reeler Popeye cartoons from the '30s.
I picked up the Winners set (the slipcover says there are 15 shorts in it) for $5 recently but I haven't opened it to see what's inside. I'm gonna go through that collection during this year's challenge, though.

Originally Posted by ntnon
I'm in almost-complete agreement about the specificity of the AA/Oscars Challenge... the only reason I floated an extension was to allow more choice for a crossover between TV and Academy Awards.
This isn't really much of a concern for us, though. There are a lot of participants who only do one of these two, and even among those of us who do both, I think part of the appeal is that they're so different. There's not a lot of demand for a transition period.

(Perhaps another easier thought might be to make the AA Challenge just the month of February, rather than including a week of January... I assume the reason is to give it a 'full' month for viewings?)
The reason for the shifting dates is that the awards themselves aren't presented on the same schedule each year. Although, I'd be in favor of expanding it to run from the day the Oscars nominations are announced through the presentation ceremony. I feel like the the shot has been fired but we're all holding at the starting line anyway.
Old 01-22-13, 12:19 PM
Mao

Let's get this party started!!!
Old 01-22-13, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

This isn't really much of a concern for us, though. There are a lot of participants who only do one of these two, and even among those of us who do both, I think part of the appeal is that they're so different. There's not a lot of demand for a transition period.
Yes, the TV challenge is more about volume and the Oscar challenge is more about quality (not that they can't have both). As was said earlier, I like to use it to check off the bucket list, and getting just a handful of high-quality watches is a good experience for me.

The reason for the shifting dates is that the awards themselves aren't presented on the same schedule each year. Although, I'd be in favor of expanding it to run from the day the Oscars nominations are announced through the presentation ceremony. I feel like the the shot has been fired but we're all holding at the starting line anyway.
I'm pretty sure this has been suggested--maybe the thinking is there'd be too much overlap? But I agree--this is the time when we're hankering to start watching, especially for the new nominees, and it's a bit painful to either hold off or watch for "no credit."
Old 01-22-13, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by davidh777

I'm pretty sure this has been suggested--maybe the thinking is there'd be too much overlap? But I agree--this is the time when we're hankering to start watching, especially for the new nominees, and it's a bit painful to either hold off or watch for "no credit."
While I'm getting excited too, we only need to hold off for two more days
Old 01-22-13, 03:09 PM
Mao

Oh, I know, I'm talking about my placeholder! I wanna set up my space!
Old 01-22-13, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I saw The Hobbit on Saturday for no credit
Old 01-22-13, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

I have my preliminary list all ready to go and I can't wait until Thursday!
Old 01-22-13, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mao
Oh, I know, I'm talking about my placeholder! I wanna set up my space!
Yeah, where is the list?
Old 01-23-13, 12:13 AM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah, where is the list?
Right here
Old 01-23-13, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Very excited about this one. I've loved the Academy Awards for years, ever since practicing my acceptance speech with my shampoo bottle as a stand-in for the Oscar. There are quite a few films that I have lined up.
Old 01-23-13, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Found out today that one of the movies I had bought for the Horror Movie Challenge but never got around to watching is eligible for the Academy Award Challenge, An American Werewolf in London, nominated for Makeup.
Old 01-23-13, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

List of movies that were nominated or won Oscars, organized alphabetically.
Old 01-23-13, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I plan to do this next year... just watch award winners. I have too many nominees lined up already, waiting to be unwrapped, to do it this year.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.