Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Tune in to the TV on DVD* Challenge: same Bat-time, same Bat-forum!

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Tune in to the TV on DVD* Challenge: same Bat-time, same Bat-forum!

Old 02-01-13, 05:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Tune in to the TV on DVD* Challenge: same Bat-time, same Bat-forum!

Just finished. I started with Hawaii Five-O so thought it was fitting to end it with it heh. Got a lot of the checklist done today with watching Whose Line it Anyway?, a clip show from The Simpsons and and a few other items that i hadn't done yet. The only parts i missed was shows from the 30s and 40s.

I got through S2 of Strike Back, watched all of Eerie, Indiana(before it expired on Netflix), finished Werewolf and watched a few episodes of a lot of other shows. I got to watch a lot of shows i'd put off for a while like Dynasty, King of Queens, Beverly Hillbillies, and Bonanza.
This is my first year with Netflix on my ps3 and it helped a lot with this challenge. All in all i got 185 Hours. Now i gotta start the Academy Awards challenge late heh.
Old 02-01-13, 05:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I managed to get in one more episode last night before bedtime ("Captain Harlock"), making for a final tally of 133 episodes total for the Challenge. (I haven't added up the total running time yet.)

I included the checklist in my final post. I completed most of the items on it but not all. Couldn't finish a whole series since I was jumping around so much. Never came across a clip show or "vacation" show in any of my viewings. I'm not sure any of the series I chose ever indulged in that sort of thing. Nor did I find a main character dying in any of them. It was tough finding a deleted or extended scene since so many of the series I watched were cut and shot to the bone, with no room for "fat" or anything that wasn't going to be used. But then I remembered that the THE SCARFACE MOB, the "Untouchables" pilot that was released theatrically, included a striptease scene that damn sure wasn't shown on TV, so I figured that qualified.

I did manage to include a number of iconic series in the month's viewing. Here are some of them:

American:
The Lone Ranger
The Cisco Kid
Dragnet
Superman
The Roy Rogers Show
Have Gun Will Travel
The Untouchables
Bonanza
Wanted: Dead or Alive
Rawhide
The Outer Limits
The Man from U.N.C.L.E.
Star Trek
Kung Fu
Police Story
Sex and the City

Japanese:
Ultraman
Speed Racer
Captain Harlock
Shadow Warriors
Dragon Ball Z
Patlabor
Pokemon

U.S.-Japanese hybrid
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers
Old 02-01-13, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

I was going to try to get a couple more episodes in last night but I got snagged by the Oscar Challenge. I did exceed my goal on SG-1 and met my TNG S2 goal so it's all good.
Old 02-01-13, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

My final total was 101 items watched. I finished with an episode of David Attenborough: Wildlife Specials. One about wolves, seen on netflix streaming. Thanks for a fun and great challenge MinLShaw
Old 02-01-13, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

I ended by unexpectedly marathoning episodes of Soap. I was browsing my collection for random things to watch a few days ago, and season one ended up in the pile. I meant to watch a couple of episodes and ended up watching ten. It has been years since I watched the show, and I was really pleased that it is just as funny and oddly touching as I remember.
Old 02-01-13, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another fun challenge, thanks, MinLShaw. I never watch as much during these challenges as I hope to going in, but I exceeded my personal goal of 100 episodes by watching 135. Only completed four seasons, but two of those (Gilligan's Island and Gomer Pyle) were "old time" seasons consisting of 30 episodes with most being 25+ minutes each. That really points out how TV has changed over the years with most of today's seasons consisting of 13-22 episodes that are 18-22 minutes long.

I had hoped to start Sons of Anarchy, Breaking Bad, Mad Men or True Blood during this challenge, but I guess, there's always next year!!!
Old 02-01-13, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Wow, I never heard of that set. Just for Rocky Jones, the serials and the Flash Gordon TV eps, it's worth it. Thanks!
You're welcome! I should have mentioned before that there's a very good review of the set from John Sinnott here on DVDTalk. It was that review that tipped the scales for my purchase and it was well worth it! The only thing you need to know that's different from the review is the Here Comes Tobor pilot is not on the current pressings. It's been replaced with a couple more eps. of One Step Beyond. I'd wanted a copy of Tobot so it was a minor disappointment but most definitely not a deal breaker.
Old 02-01-13, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I ended up with a personal score of 75.5 - counting in half-hour slots, anything made to fit a 30 minute slot counts as 0.5, anything made to fit a 60 minute slot counts as 1, etc.

I didn't have any set plan when I started, really because this was the first time I'd done the challenge. Next January I have one target (I may add more when the time comes), which is to beat this January's score.

I need to get back into some movies now - I feel that I've neglected that part of my hobby over the last month or so!
Old 02-01-13, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 73 Likes on 38 Posts

Finally filled in most of the checklist, having probably completed the main list days ago. And I got to watch several new shows - almost all of which were very good indeed. The first episode of Kids in the Hall being the main exception. Did not find it funny at all...
Old 02-01-13, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
It's possible that what you read may have made reference to either Batman: Year One and/or Batman: The Dark Knight Returns as being adaptations of source material that influenced Nolan's trilogy. Also, Batman: The Dark Knight Returns - Part 1 came out around September, so it was timed between The Dark Knight Rises' theatrical and home video release dates, so maybe that was the reference?
It's possible, but I'm very familiar with Batman - and particularly those two Miller-led works - so I don't think I've have tripped up on confusing influences with inserts. Obviously Rises was pointedly titled to abbreviate to DKR, so it makes sense to adapt THE DKR to coincide with it, but... I'll get to investigating all the DC and DCU and DCAU things at some point, and if I ever work out why I was confused I'll start a thread!
Old 02-01-13, 02:34 PM

Can't say I achieved my goals. There were just too many to accomplish in a month and I got sidetracked by my Dragnet obsession (which is quite a significant discovery for me)...
That sounds about right! I was really hoping to catch up with all the CURRENT series' that I'd neglected due to Horror/Comedy/Christmas, but a) the buildup of episodes was daunting, and b) Yes, Minister and Sabrina the Teenage Witch were just easier and as enjoyable to watch instead!

I really liked the "Bonanza" episodes I watched and could easily sit for more of those.
I - semi-accidentally - watched an episode of Gunsmoke on TV, and then grabbed an earlier (half-)season from the Library to fit in whenever possible and wish I'd had more time - it was very surprisingly entertaining and enjoyable. All the westerns have been on a very-far-back burner as far as wanting to see them at some point; they've now been brought forward very slightly as I suspect I will enjoy them quite a bit. Which is good. Always nice - if complicated - to find new things to be interested in!

I feel bad that I didn't get to more anime series in my collection...
I barely got to any of my own DVDs at all.

Starting tomorrow I watch Academy Award winners/nominees. It'll be harder, because these films are a lot longer and more demanding than a Power Rangers episode.
Yep! Likewise.

With added annoyance at Amazon for mucking about with my plans. Grr, etc.
Old 02-01-13, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
MinLShaw has done enough work this Challenge so the rest of us can help out a bit.
Aw, thanks! I was snoozing through a lot of yesterday evening so I appreciate you checking in on this for me.

In an effort to help others, and perhaps mostly take up my time and satisfy my OCD, here is a list of a few of us that need to update our list post.

Surfinhawk - you're fine actually, except you're at 666 posts so I urge you to post anything somewhere before I bribe a mod to change your username to Antichrist

LorenzoL - no updates since the 6th

Cronenbergfan71 - empty

Corey31 - nothing since the 8th

Quake1028 - empty

coyoteblue - empty

DarkGod - I think you hit quote instead of edit on your list twice; you probably should combine your three posts into one.

ThatsAllFolks - nothing since the 4th

TheManInBlack - nothing since the 3rd

UndeadCow - nothing since the 16th

Chad - nothing since the 9th

Kstublen - empty

Bladz - nothing since the 10th
I compared your audit with mine from the 21st. After comparing the two, I see that Dimension X, InnocentBlood and Trevor are the only three to update after I posted:

Dimension X (1/11)
LorenzoL (1/8)
Cronenbergfan71 No Activity
InnocentBlood (1/13)
Trevor No Activity
Corey31 (1/8)
Quake1028 No Activity
coyoteblue No Activity
Darkgod (1/11)
Bladz (1/11)
kstublen No Activity
Chad (1/9)
TheManInBlack (1/3)
That'sAllFolks (1/4)
So, since the challenge has now concluded and we're all grown-ups, I'm going to generate the list for prizes shortly. I checked the list thread and sure enough, DarkGod does seem to have quoted his list twice, but since they're the last two posts in the thread, I can just set the max number range to exclude them so he doesn't get an unfair chance at winning something.

This is actually something I didn't think of until now, but we should probably be more mindful of that kind of thing for random prize drawings because there are some challenges where participants do wind up using more than one post, usually because they hit their graphics limit (I'm thinking of the Horror Challenge offhand here). Anyway, no big deal here since it's so easily nullified but something for us challenge hosts to discuss later.

Also, since the last post before DarkGod's two copy posts is one that was inactive, I'm setting the random generator range from #5 (the first post after mine) to #54 (the last active post). This post is already pretty clunky so I'll start a second one with the actual prize selection notification.
Old 02-01-13, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I ended up with 238 episodes watched. Zero movies. I hit my goal of finally watching The Starlost and a new blind buy series Only When I Laugh. Both were good in their own ways *if* you watch with the right frame of mind - especially with The Starlost.

I had a bit of the premis of Only When I Laugh as the *entire* series follows the hospital stays of the same 3 people. Keep in mind it runs for 3 "series" of 22 episodes. One had surgery which is hinted to be somewhat botched, one had an appendectomy, and the other is a chronic hypocondriac. As each episode seems to be "a day in the life" that makes the says somewhat lengthly even in the day and time of the filming. Overlooking that potential buzz-kill it was a pretty straight forward British stitcom. Somewhat cliche at times (both UK and US cliche) but still funny. I'd watch it again and considering I paid $20 (shipped) for the series a very good value.

I really enjoyed the "bonus feature" on that series. A failed pilot for a Rowan Atkinson program Canned Laughter. You definitely see the beginnings of the "Mr. Bean" character in the half hour although it's nothing like a typical "Bean" outing. I wonder if it failed in part due to that Atkinson plays 3 parts in the program. The overbearing boss, the Beanlike working man, and a stand up comic. I can see that taking lots of post production time and expense.

A also watched episodes or seasons of several "classics" including:

Peter Gunn (very impressed with this one. I'd never seen an episode before this challenge.)
Leave it to Beaver
Bonanza
The Partridge Family
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea

As always I had a blast as TV is one of my favorites!
Old 02-01-13, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I'm still on the fence with that one this year for that very reason. I've enjoyed a full month of nothing but TV so much I'm tempted to continue with it a bit longer.
Much as it pains me to consider the possibility(!), I might take the AAs at a reasonable pace and not get too hung up on watching a raft of new things, ticking boxes and making time for the lengthier films. Instead, I may pick about the edges of the Oscars and thread the missed-TV in-between the Award winners.

Mind you, difficult as it is for me to tell, being fairly new to it all, it looks like March and April might hold little interest to me, so I might get gung-ho on Oscars and sit back during Action and Drive-In (is that right?), instead. Or as well. Either way, I'm going to try and watch some TV too...
Old 02-01-13, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by orlmac
This has been a great challenge, just a little frustrating with the mixing in of the Academy Awards Challenge.
Ditto.

Originally Posted by davidh777
I've ticked off some major accomplishments. Sure, I would have liked to watch more, but that's always the case.
Double ditto!
Old 02-01-13, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

PRIZES!

As determined by randomly generated numbers, our winners are...

22 HyperWeather
11 KaBluie
27 Corey31
38 Indy24LA
21 InnocentBlood
45 pagefrance

Except that #27, Corey31, is one of the inactive/ineligible posts so lemme generate another number. Back in a moment!
Old 02-01-13, 02:48 PM

I really enjoyed the "bonus feature" on that series. A failed pilot for a Rowan Atkinson program Canned Laughter. You definitely see the beginnings of the "Mr. Bean" character in the half hour although it's nothing like a typical "Bean" outing.
Bean was beginning even while Mr Atkinson was still at university - I forget which documentary the footage was in, but there's some sketches he did with Angus Deayton about driving (Atkinson is VERY fond of cars, so it's no big surprise to see car sketches turn up early!) which are very Bean-like. Plus a couple of minor skits from the superb Not the Nine o'Clock News that show off his skills in that direction. And all directions. Rowan Atkinson is great.
Old 02-01-13, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Our alternate winner is #32, TarFrimmer. Congrats!

So, the way this works is that we start at the top of the list and go down, with each person selecting one of the prizes so generously offered to us by our sponsor, Hamilton Book, through forum member and Hamilton Book rep GoldenWheels.

1. 22 HyperWeather
  2. 11 KaBluie
  3. 38 Indy24LA
  4. 21 InnocentBlood
  5. 45 pagefrance
  6. 32 TarFrimmer

ROUTE 66: The Complete Series

TEKWAR: The Complete Series, IRON KING: The Complete Series and THE SUPER ROBOT--RED BARON: The Complete Series

THE COMMISH: The Complete Series

THE LIFE AND TIMES OF GRIZZLY ADAMS: Season One and YANCY DERRINGER: The Complete Series

THE ADVENTURES OF AQUAMAN: The Complete Collection

GET SMART: The Complete Series
Note: This is the 1995 continuation series; not the original series.

SANDBURG'S LINCOLN: The Complete Mini-Series Event

It'd be easiest if the winners would make their selection here in this thread, then PM me with their shipping address so I can collect it all and turn it over to Rich.
Old 02-01-13, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ntnon
Much as it pains me to consider the possibility(!), I might take the AAs at a reasonable pace and not get too hung up on watching a raft of new things, ticking boxes and making time for the lengthier films. Instead, I may pick about the edges of the Oscars and thread the missed-TV in-between the Award winners.

Mind you, difficult as it is for me to tell, being fairly new to it all, it looks like March and April might hold little interest to me, so I might get gung-ho on Oscars and sit back during Action and Drive-In (is that right?), instead. Or as well. Either way, I'm going to try and watch some TV too...
Just to throw a bit of fuel on the fire...

The Action/Adventure/Crime can include *lots* of TV content. One of my favorite genres is SF and many of those films and TV programs fall right in line with that one. The Crime part includes TV Detective shows which is another favorite. I can pretty much turn it into another month of TVonDVD.

Then there's the Drive-In/Exploitation/B-Movie challenge. Again it can favor SF content as *many* of the genre films from the 60s and 70s are "B" movies.
Old 02-01-13, 02:56 PM

1. 22 HyperWeather
  2. 11 KaBluie
  3. 38 Indy24LA
  4. 21 InnocentBlood
  5. 45 pagefrance
  6. 32 TarFrimmer
Drat.

Oh, well, it's the taking part that counts! Thank you for all your hard work, MinLShaw.
Old 02-01-13, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Congrats to all the prize winners!

Thanks to MinLShaw for running the challenge! I believe this is a new record for wrapping things up and getting winners posted!

Special thanks to Hamilton Books (aka GoldenWheels) for the prizes! Any of you who've not checked out their website really needs to do so. They have quite a bit of good (often obscure/OOP type stuff) product at good prices and *great* CS.
Old 02-01-13, 02:59 PM

Just to throw a bit of fuel on the fire...

The Action/Adventure/Crime can include *lots* of TV content. One of my favorite genres is SF and many of those films and TV programs fall right in line with that one. The Crime part includes TV Detective shows which is another favorite. I can pretty much turn it into another month of TVonDVD.
Oh, it's Action/Adventure/Crime..?! Well, that's that, then! I was thinking "Action Films," and now I'm thinking "Detective/Crime TV." Fair enough, I'll hold up on Person of Interest, The Mentalist, Castle and The Following 'til March, then. Thanks!
Old 02-01-13, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

1. 22 HyperWeather
  2. 11 KaBluie
  3. 38 Indy24LA
  4. 21 InnocentBlood
  5. 45 pagefrance
  6. 32 TarFrimmer

It'd be easiest if the winners would make their selection here in this thread, then PM me with their shipping address so I can collect it all and turn it over to Rich.
Thank you!

Here's my choice (& alternate choices if I don't get my first choice):

First Choice: ROUTE 66: The Complete Series
Second Choice: TEKWAR: The Complete Series...
Third Choice: Any of the rest
Old 02-01-13, 03:28 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks to MinLShaw and Hamilton Books for the challenge and prizes! Always one of my favorites. This year I re-watched Twin Peaks and loved it just as much as the first watch!
Old 02-01-13, 03:43 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

granted I was all over the board in terms of watching stuff, I really had a blast with this challenge, because tv shows can run from 11 minutes to two hours a show/episode. I was surprised how much tv content there was on my DVD/blurays in my video collection - some Criterion stuff didn't quite make it there at the end.

was finally able to sit down and really enjoy Game of Thrones (which had been in my 'to watch' pile for quite some time), Archer (sans season 3), Quatermass and Smash - the highlights of the challenge.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.