Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Tune in to the TV on DVD* Challenge: same Bat-time, same Bat-forum!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Tune in to the TV on DVD* Challenge: same Bat-time, same Bat-forum!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-12, 07:52 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Re: Tune in to the TV on DVD* Challenge: same Bat-time, same Bat-forum!

Thanks Bob, now I've learned my one thing of the day. Or maybe two, you're Cajun?
Old 12-29-12, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

While I'm not in it for the prizes, as others have stated, to be totally fair, I would say it would be best to have a random drawing for all active particaptns at the end of the challenge.
Old 12-29-12, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

I'll chime in and say I prefer random drawings too. Mostly because I'm lazy.
Old 12-29-12, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Dimension X
I'll chime in and say I prefer random drawings too. Mostly because I'm lazy.
This is the kind of reasoning that I can get behind! We'll do random drawings at the end of the challenge from active participants.
Old 12-29-12, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Watch TV episodes within 4 years of their airing?!
Trevor, your PM box was full so if you see this, I wanted to let you know the Cheers Viewing thread will begin tomorrow.
Old 12-29-12, 01:27 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

^ Thanks BT! And a very appropriate post to quote.
Old 12-29-12, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I like the trivia questions, but I think you should go with a random draw of the people who answered correctly vs the first one or two that answered. Not everyone is on the forum every minute of the day and by having a time frame to answer and then picking from the correct answers seem a bit more fair to me.

Agree with not putting people who didn't update their lists in the drawing. Especially those that stopped within the first week.
Old 12-29-12, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Thanks Bob, now I've learned my one thing of the day. Or maybe two, you're Cajun?
Happy to help! And no, I'm not Cajun but Mid-South Hippy (so *there's* your second!).

I picked up the word 25 or so years ago after first hearing it *on a TV show* (Frank's Place - a excellent one season wonder that was nominated for a "Best Comedy" Emmy and was still canceled!) and looking up the definition. I fell in love with the word and its meaning and have used it farily regularly since.
Old 12-29-12, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

Oh, Frank's Place, I loved that show and I really, really, really wish they would release it on DVD (so I could watch it for this challenge of course).
Old 12-30-12, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Just for the record, I'm going to count every TV episode I see as a single entry, no matter how long or short it is. If it's a half-hour episode of "Power Rangers," it counts as one. If it's a one-hour episode of "Bonanza" or a 90-min. episode of "The Virginian," they still count as one each. If it's a TV movie that's 2-hours long, it counts as one. If it's a miniseries, I'll count each separate part as one each, so if it was seen over three nights, it counts as three.

How is everyone else doing it?
Old 12-30-12, 06:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Just for the record, I'm going to count every TV episode I see as a single entry, no matter how long or short it is. If it's a half-hour episode of "Power Rangers," it counts as one. If it's a one-hour episode of "Bonanza" or a 90-min. episode of "The Virginian," they still count as one each. If it's a TV movie that's 2-hours long, it counts as one. If it's a miniseries, I'll count each separate part as one each, so if it was seen over three nights, it counts as three.

I'm counting per hour. So an episode of Cheers would count as 0.5 whereas a 2 hour tv movie would count as 2.
Old 12-30-12, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

I count things the old-fashioned, complicated way: 4 "30-minute" episodes count as 1; 2 "hour-long" episodes count as 1. Anything 90 minutes - 2 hours count as 1.
Old 12-30-12, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

One show, one entry.
Old 12-30-12, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

One episode is one entry.
Old 12-30-12, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Question, I had a friend who wanted to watch some things with me ask about Looney Tunes. Would they count? Or were they originally movie shorts like the Theee Stooges?
Old 12-30-12, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Question, I had a friend who wanted to watch some things with me ask about Looney Tunes. Would they count? Or were they originally movie shorts like the Theee Stooges?
They were originally movie shorts. But as many of us were exposed to them, the Three Stooges, and The Little Rascals on after school TV programs I'd think they'd all count. One program I'd rush home to watch (The Happy Hal Show) ran a Looney Tunes, Stooges, Looney Tunes, and a Little Rascals every day with a local host doing routines/contests/etc. between the shorts. The Looney Tunes shorts would be especially countable as 1960 prime time saw The Bugs Bunny Show and with its move to a Saturday AM timeslot there soon followed The Road Runner Show, The Bugs Bunny & Tweety Show, and others. While new cartoons were produced for those shows many were the old theatrical shorts, sadly edited to be more PC during the 70s. Even though they used wrap-arounds for the shorts, the shorts were the prime attraction.
Old 12-30-12, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
They were originally movie shorts. But as many of us were exposed to them, the Three Stooges, and The Little Rascals on after school TV programs I'd think they'd all count.
cool, I know I only saw them on after school programs on on saturday morning and sundays on local programming. I don't have any DVDs, but I know they are on Cartoon network, and I believe Looney Tunes are on Youtube.
Old 12-30-12, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Some of the Looney Tunes Golden Collection DVDs have TV episodes, including pilots and specials, as extras. For last year's challenge (linked in my signature) I used some of those as entries, including the following:

3a. Adventures of the Road Runner (1962/U.S., 26 min., animated TV pilot) DVD (Looney Tunes Golden Collection Vol. 2)
Awkward attempt to take old cartoon clips and add bridging footage to make a half-hour TV show. One whole segment, about daydreamer Ralph Phillips, has nothing at all to do with the Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote. Wile E. talks in this one.

3b. Bug’s and Daffy’s ‘Carnival of the Animals’ by Camille Saint Saens (1976/U.S. 24 min., animated TV special) DVD (Looney Tunes Golden Collection Vol. 5)
Bugs and Daffy play the piano and recite lyrics by Ogden Nash as Michael Tilson Thomas leads a live orchestra in a performance of the title piece. Aimed at children. Could have used some gags that were, y’know, funny?

4a. Bugs Bunny’s Looney Christmas Tales (1979/U.S. 23 min., animated TV special) DVD (Looney Tunes Golden Collection Vol. 5)
Three segments: the first is a 9-minute condensation of “A Christmas Carol” with Yosemite Sam as Scrooge and Porky Pig as Bob Cratchit; the second takes Road Runner and Coyote to snow country; and the third has the Tasmanian Devil taking Santa’s place for “The Night Before Christmas.” All new made-for-TV animation. I wish I’d known I had this last month when I could have used it for the Holiday Challenge.

4b. Bugs Bunny’s Bustin’ Out All Over (1980/U.S., 24 min., animated TV special) DVD (Looney Tunes Golden Collection Vol. 5)
A total Chuck Jones production with vaguely spring-seasonal themes throughout. Bugs and Elmer are seen as kids in one segment; The Road Runner and Coyote do their usual schtick in another; and Marvin Martian abducts Bugs Bunny to Mars in another. All new made-for-TV animation. I remember seeing this when it originally ran on TV in 1980.
Old 12-30-12, 06:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by elijahmagallon
I'm counting per hour. So an episode of Cheers would count as 0.5 whereas a 2 hour tv movie would count as 2.
Think i will do it that way. I believe thats how it was last year. I don't see why watching Virginian shouldn't be worth more than watching Cheers. Just IMO. It should be worth 3 cheers episodes.
Old 12-31-12, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Where I live, just about 7 hours to go till TV watching officially starts. Can't wait. My friend I mentioned in an earlier post wants to start with classic cartoons, so we may forgo the New years specials in favor of Looney Tunes tonight.
Old 12-31-12, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I may have asked this in a previous year's challenge, but if I did, I don't remember the response.

I'm asking about all those made-for-video animated superhero films from DC and Marvel (SUPERMAN DOOMSDAY, THE ULTIMATE AVENGERS, JUSTICE LEAGUE CRISIS ON TWO EARTHS, etc.). IMDB lists them as (V) for video, but many of them, IIRC, premiered on TV on the Cartoon Network, either ahead of their DVD release or simultaneously. I taped some of them before getting the DVDs. Others, like BATMAN GOTHAM KNIGHT and BATMAN UNDER THE RED HOOD, I'm not sure ever ran on TV, so I won't include those.

What's the verdict on the ones that played on TV?

Thanks.
Old 12-31-12, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^ Good question, as I have Superman: Doomsday, Crisis on Two Earths, and New Frontier. I know I see New Frontier on Encore quite a lot. Too much in fact. Good movie, but too much exposure. I'd love to see some of the other DC movies aired on there sometimes.
Old 12-31-12, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

I may have asked this in a previous year's challenge, but if I did, I don't remember the response.

I'm asking about all those made-for-video animated superhero films from DC and Marvel (SUPERMAN DOOMSDAY, THE ULTIMATE AVENGERS, JUSTICE LEAGUE CRISIS ON TWO EARTHS, etc.). IMDB lists them as (V) for video, but many of them, IIRC, premiered on TV on the Cartoon Network, either ahead of their DVD release or simultaneously. I taped some of them before getting the DVDs. Others, like BATMAN GOTHAM KNIGHT and BATMAN UNDER THE RED HOOD, I'm not sure ever ran on TV, so I won't include those.

What's the verdict on the ones that played on TV?

Thanks.
Here's what MinLShaw said on the subject earlier in the thread.
Originally Posted by MinLShaw
That direct connection is necessary for our purposes. This is why not all of the direct-to-video DC Comics animated movies are eligible for our challenge. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm is, because it was a direct part of Batman: The Animated Series, but Superman/Batman: Public Enemies is not, despite being produced by the same people and also starring Kevin Conroy and Tim Daly as Batman and Superman, respectively.

It's story continuity, not the production credits, that determine eligibility.
So, I'd say save them for August.
Old 12-31-12, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think I'm going to use the "traditional" counting method used on the first TVonDVD challenge. 1 hour TV content equals 1 entry although I *may* change this as it *is* easier to apply episode ratings on an individual counting method.

So... that said it's dusk here (and has been for about an hour). Since I had the TV on idly watching random stuff I started with Amish Mafia. I caught this "reality" show a few weeks ago and found it uproariously funny. While I feel there *are* some truths about the Amish community on display the overall arch of the show feels very tongue-in-cheek and it just gets more comical as it goes on. When Merlin, the Ohio "boss", shows up it almost goes into Bugs Bunny mode. Watch it as you would The Office, or Parks and Recreation and you'll possibly have a better appreciation for what's being done. I just can't believe it's real, especially considering the disclaimer of "select re-enactments" to protect the community. Like the NY Times said: "it’s fairly safe to assume that everything is staged."

It's a shame they ran Moonshiners earlier today so I can't count those episodes. Yet another reality series that's just too funny. I can't get my head wrapped around the "if it's real then why doesn't law enforcement simply use the show video to make arrests" aspect of the show. Then I simply wonder what's happened to Discovery Channel *and* History Channel. They both seem to be nothing but these "reality" shows with just enough documentary programs to still claim they actually air documentaries.
Old 12-31-12, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

I am going to count each minute as 1 entry, so I plan on getting over 1000 entries....

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.