Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Tune in to the TV on DVD* Challenge: same Bat-time, same Bat-forum!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Tune in to the TV on DVD* Challenge: same Bat-time, same Bat-forum!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-12, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: Tune in to the TV on DVD* Challenge: same Bat-time, same Bat-forum!

Originally Posted by Trevor
I'm thinking about a plan of making 2013 an entire Challenge-year of TV for me. I'm so incredibly far behind in watching my TV sets, plus need to get my money's worth out of our cable bill.

Most of my plans never come to fruition, but I think this one might just happen. For January and this Challenge specifically, I'm not sure. Perhaps I should plan the whole year out in rough form, seeing what sets qualify for what months, and use January for the 'leftovers'. So mainly Drama perhaps.
I might do the same.
Old 12-12-12, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I'm leaving a DVDTalk will, specifying where Jen is to send all my DVDs. You get my meager anime collection.
Dude, you did make sure to tell her this is after you die, right? I'm concerned she might start boxing things up right away.
Old 12-12-12, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

I was informed this may be of interest to people on this thread. Some of us are going to do a Cheers viewing club in January:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/607...b-january.html
Old 12-12-12, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

It surprises me that you still have a huge unwatched pile, given the amount I've seen you watch in various Challenges over the years; but I guess it's similar to horror (or almost any genre really) in that there is a TON of stuff available.

I'm leaving a DVDTalk will, specifying where Jen is to send all my DVDs. You get my meager anime collection.
Well, thanks to WTK and his Official Anime Bargains thread, I keep buying box sets of complete anime series for ridiculously low prices. I've picked up at least ten more series since the last animation challenge, some as few as 13 eps., some as many as 49. I started watching the 52-episode "Armored Trooper Votoms" during the last animation challenge but have since only managed to see up to ep. #13. And it's a series I like a lot! My problem is I keep stopping after a few eps. to start another series. I want to see everything!
Old 12-13-12, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I finished my list of what to watch. While I probaly wont watch the whole thing before moving on to something else, I used random.org to decide what to start with, and I will be starting the challenge with Lion Force Voltron. Anyone else know what they will start with yet?
I've been parring down my list to figure it out. I have so much unwatched stuff. I may revisit Veronica Mars or Gilmore Girls or I may watch Big Love for the first time. Or I may delve into He-Man and ThunderCats cartoons. So many things to watch!
Old 12-13-12, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
I was informed this may be of interest to people on this thread. Some of us are going to do a Cheers viewing club in January:

Ooooooh...!
Old 12-13-12, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I may make 2013 a year of going through all my backlogs, so a backlogs challenge, which is mostly tv sets.
Old 12-13-12, 12:47 PM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

I have never done this challenge, but I'm sitting on season 1 of Homeland and season 4 of Fringe and this would be a perfect excuse to jump into them. And my boss is trying to get me to watch Torchwood, even though I had never heard of it.
Old 12-13-12, 01:31 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
I highly recommend Fishing with John. I streamed it during the Criterion Challenge in September and got a big kick out of it. Keep in mind, I hate fishing. I hate it so much I almost bolded, italicized and underlined "hate" in that last sentence.
That was the first Criterion I ever rented, and I very much enjoyed it. Looking forward to re-visiting it in September, along with Fanny and that Golden Age of TV set.
Funnily enough, the handiest example for you to use there is the TV version of Fanny & Alexander which of course also qualifies for the Criterion Challenge. You might consider one version in either challenge. Might be kinda neat to do that. Hell, I might do that myself!
I'm game for that.
Yeah, I ruled earlier we'd start at dusk on New Year's Eve since there are some New Year's Eve-set movies that make sense to be able to watch that night. As for ending at dawn, I'd be lying if I said I cared. So...sure.
Insert banana dance here.
Originally Posted by davidh777
Dude, you did make sure to tell her this is after you die, right? I'm concerned she might start boxing things up right away.
Good point. I can't take solo vacations anymore, mainly for fear of her doing just that.
Originally Posted by bluetoast

Sweet, I'll join that, even though it doesn't accomplish my backlog goal, as I somehow haven't bought that set yet.
Old 12-14-12, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I bought and watched the Walking Dead seasons 1 and 2 on Black Friday (well, watched after I got them). Probably should have saved them for the challenge but once I started watching the show on TV, I had to watch them all!

I wrote earlier what I was thinking of watching, but I'm already changing my mind. I may go back and forth between a few different shows. One disc of one, switch to another and so on. I'm sure I'll log a lot of random stuff that I watch on TV on top of that too. Kind of looking forward to starting, but this month has flown by so fast already! I thought all day today, that it was Wednesday, not Thursday.
Old 12-14-12, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by LJG765
I wrote earlier what I was thinking of watching, but I'm already changing my mind. I may go back and forth between a few different shows. One disc of one, switch to another and so on. I'm sure I'll log a lot of random stuff that I watch on TV on top of that too. Kind of looking forward to starting, but this month has flown by so fast already! I thought all day today, that it was Wednesday, not Thursday.
I'm the same way. Every time I look at my shelves or my unwatched list, I change my mind or get super excited about sometime that I hadn't planned to watch. I'm leaning toward marathons of cartoons and dramas. I have so much stuff to watch! I may have to watch a couple of things that aren't on my unwatched list but that I really want to rematch.
Old 12-14-12, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't believe that I've been on the internet for nearly 20 years and have only just found this forum! Where have you been all my life? I think that this challenge sounds like a fantastic idea - count me i! Just got to decide what to watch, and the mention of a Cheers viewing club sounds right up my alley too! Can't wait! :-)

Unfortunately a full-time job and young family means I won't get to watch as much as I'd like, but we'll see...
Old 12-14-12, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I bought and watched the Walking Dead seasons 1 and 2 on Black Friday (well, watched after I got them). Probably should have saved them for the challenge but once I started watching the show on TV, I had to watch them all!
I held off on renting TWD2 till the horror challenge, but had to finish it for no credit during November.
Old 12-14-12, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by elijahmagallon
I can't believe that I've been on the internet for nearly 20 years and have only just found this forum! Where have you been all my life? I think that this challenge sounds like a fantastic idea - count me i! Just got to decide what to watch, and the mention of a Cheers viewing club sounds right up my alley too! Can't wait! :-)

Unfortunately a full-time job and young family means I won't get to watch as much as I'd like, but we'll see...
Welcome to the forum!
Old 12-15-12, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Welcome!

It has taken me many years, but I have finally accepted that I will never make any high numbers and have learned to just watch what I can and have fun doing it. If you can get the family involved, even better!
Old 12-15-12, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth Maher
If you can get the family involved, even better!
My wife tends to let me watch whatever I want so fingers crossed!
Old 12-15-12, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Glad to have you aboard! This is a *great* place to hang out!

Just watch what you can and post/comment on what you watch and/or what others are watching. There's *no* pressure other than what you place upon yourself. Yes, some of us go somewhat insane attempting to watch 100's of films/TV eps. during these challenges but it's *still* fun!
Old 12-15-12, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

...I wrote earlier what I was thinking of watching, but I'm already changing my mind...
I started to post my starting/watching intentions but found myself changing my mind as I was composing the message!

At this point I *think* I'll focus on all the hour long series I've backlogged. Those are harder for me as I can throw on a comedy series and watch between other things, work in an episode in the middle of a sleepless night, etc. Those hour long ones take more investment of time and tend to move to the back of the watch list.

Currently leaning toward the following (in no particular order):

Enterprise (have S3 & S4 left to watch)
Lois & Clark (also S3 & S4 "unwatched")
The Man from U.N.C.L.E. (S2-4 to watch)
Charmed (haven't even started it and have all seasons)
Adventures of Jim Bowie
Tales of the Gold Monkey

I'd only seen seen an ep or two of Enterprise before I purchased the series so have never seen S3/S4. I've been holding on to it so I can spend time on it. Pretty much the same for Tales of the Gold Monkey.

To the best of my recollection, I've never seen an episode of Adventures of Jim Bowie. It's a title I won a while back in one of the challenges. I'm excited about it and really want to watch it but, like Enterprise, want to be able to spend time with it.

I've seen various episodes from various seasons of Charmed. It's a series I'd initially "written off" but my wife watched. I'd see an episode every now and again when I'd get home from work and she'd have it on. It grew on me a bit but I never made an effort to find and watch it. I've always been surprised she likes the show because she normally doesn't care for horror/sci-fi/fantasy type stuff so I guess the comedy/drama/mystery won out in her case. This is one of those series I purchased for her but she just will *not* put in a DVD. She'd rather just run channels and settle for whatever the networks decide to offer.

Lois & Clark and The Man from U.N.C.L.E. I watched during their respective network runs and have not seen them since. I *loved* TMFU as a kid and other than The Adventures of Superman from the 50s feel Lois & Clark is the best Superman series so far created. Again... want to watch somewhat in leisure and spend quality time with them.

Of course, like many of you, I have *dozens* of "unopened" series from which to chose. It can take me an hour to decide what to watch next after I polish one off. I halfway expect that *none* of those I listed above will make the final cut...
Old 12-15-12, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And I just remembered I have S2 of The Invaders that I've not seen since its original network run, S2 of The Rat Patrol, a couple of seasons of Rawhide, one of Bonanza, some Untouchables, Rawhide, Perry Mason, Quantum Leap (another oddity my wife actually likes)... OK... it's getting hard to decide...
Old 12-15-12, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was thinking of starting with Voltron, but I recently bought S1 and S3 of Knight Rider, and I have S2 already, so may watch that, S1 of Ancient Aliens, Dogfights, Victory At Sea, Utraman, and Super Robot Red Baron. Will probably bounce around the shows watching what I am in the mood for at any particular time.
Old 12-16-12, 08:00 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Timely to our recent conversation, the iOS version of DVDProfiler just had it's first price drop; now $4.99 in the appstore.
Old 12-16-12, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I was thinking of starting with Voltron, but I recently bought S1 and S3 of Knight Rider, and I have S2 already, so may watch that, S1 of Ancient Aliens, Dogfights, Victory At Sea, Utraman, and Super Robot Red Baron. Will probably bounce around the shows watching what I am in the mood for at any particular time.
And Ultra Seven : The Complete Series just came out in a box set!

http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Seven-Co...omplete+series
Old 12-16-12, 10:55 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ack I'm not even completely sure where I want to start for this, way to many options. At the moment I plan on watching all those shows I started tivo'ing in September but then got ignored for the other challenges (start of Revenge S.2 for sure), and finishing my Arrested Development rewatch. Would also like to watch Gossip Girl S.5, White Collar S.3, should also probably add in something I haven't watched that I actually own.
Old 12-16-12, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
And Ultra Seven : The Complete Series just came out in a box set!

http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Seven-Co...omplete+series
Yeah, I saw that, so I am considering purchasing that as well.
Old 12-16-12, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

Timely to our recent conversation, the iOS version of DVDProfiler just had it's first price drop; now $4.99 in the appstore.
Dagnamit, I just bought this on Thusday. Oh well, maybe the extra dough will help get an Android version released.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.