Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Tune in to the TV on DVD* Challenge: same Bat-time, same Bat-forum!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Tune in to the TV on DVD* Challenge: same Bat-time, same Bat-forum!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-12, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Tune in to the TV on DVD* Challenge: same Bat-time, same Bat-forum!

Originally Posted by Trevor
Watch TV episodes within 4 years of their airing?!
Not sure what you're saying / implying?
Old 12-07-12, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
This may not be exactly what you're referring to, but I use the monthly unwatched threads to keep track of where I'm at in any particular season. I could "note" this info in DVD Profiler, but it's easier to update on here and mark off the set as being watched in Profiler when I've completed it.
I used the "watched by" feature in DVD Profiler to track when I actually watched a given release, so that part of it was fine. What I meant was that there's no equivalent to Letterboxd for me to use as a repository for my reviews about TV content.

For instance, if you look at my lists in the challenges I've participated in this year (links in signature), you'll see that I've reviewed each movie on Letterboxd. That's not really an option for me with the TV on DVD* Challenge, unless it's a movie that ties into a TV series.
Old 12-08-12, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
My TV on DVD collection is set up the same way. It is set up alphabetically so I can find anything with some ease, but it would be a challenge to get to it at times.

I purchased DVD Profiler many years ago. It was money well spent. I balked at paying for the program at first, partly because I thought that money could be better spent on DVDs and it was also tough because of using the free DVD Spot program for some time. I finally rationalized that it was similar to spending money on shelving, etc. It's been invaluable in keeping tabs on everything I own, so I recommend it.

This may not be exactly what you're referring to, but I use the monthly unwatched threads to keep track of where I'm at in any particular season. I could "note" this info in DVD Profiler, but it's easier to update on here and mark off the set as being watched in Profiler when I've completed it.
My TV on DVD is separated out from the rest of my DVDs. They are pretty much alpaha'd but as I buy them, I tend to just stick them on the end until I do a massive redo on organizing. They are difficult to get to as they aren't the ones I pull out first when watching. My goal is one of these days when I have more money, to invest in nice shelving. I planned it out not to long ago where I can build a nice shelving system for around 70 bucks that would give me enough space to expand out enough to get them out in the open.

I know I've said this before to you, but it is worth buying DVD Profiler. I like all the purchase info and watched by info all in one spot. Plus, like cardsfan said, it's easy to mark where you are stopping with a series and I also keep track of which movies I want to buy so when I go shopping I can easily access it (I have the mobile profiler, too.) It's saved me from double dipping a few times-enough to pay for itself!

I also lend my films out-only sometimes and only to certain people who I know will treat them right-and it lets me track that as I can remember I lend something out, but not what all the time!

But, I know I've seen older copies of the program out there-I'll keep an eye for that thread where someone posted the links and I'll let you know if I find it.
Old 12-08-12, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
...I upgraded to the newest DVD Profiler...and then it refused to open. I tried everything, eventually having to completely uninstall and reinstall the program. I still have the backup database file but because I've been using the free version, they won't restore more than 50 items!
I don't know which version you *were* using but here's a link to v2.4.0:

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/au...ler.cfm/v2_4_0

I know nothing about the hosting site and have never used it before so take it with a grain of salt...

I've looked at this several times but have severe issues with my data/access being controlled by an offsite method. I want my data/access totally on my system and available with/without internet access. I understand needing/wanting internet access for ease of automatically populating a database when adding/updating new titles but if I can't add titles manually *without* internet access or need internet just to look at what I have then it's a deal breaker. For example: What happens if the vendor goes belly up in a couple of years? Their site is somewhat vague on such need.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 12-09-12 at 12:39 PM.
Old 12-09-12, 09:36 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

All this talk of DVD Profiler has me contemplating it again. If it dies like DVDSpot I'll go postal though. Anyone use the iOS version of DVD Profiler?

Originally Posted by gp1086
Not sure what you're saying / implying?
Just joking that I'm so far behind in my TV/DVD viewing that I don't get to shows until years after they've finished their runs. I'm just now discovering this awesome new show called Wings.
Old 12-09-12, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just joking that I'm so far behind in my TV/DVD viewing that I don't get to shows until years after they've finished their runs. I'm just now discovering this awesome new show called Wings.
Haha, ok.
Old 12-09-12, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I don't know which version you *were* using but here's a link to v2.4.0:

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/au...ler.cfm/v2_4_0

I know nothing about the hosting site and have never used it before so take it with a grain of salt...

I've looked at this several times but have severe issues with my data/access being controlled by an offsite method. I want my data/access totally on my system and available with/without internet access. I understand needing/wanting internet access for ease of automatically populating a database when adding/updating new titles but if I can't add titles manually *without* internet access or need internet just to look at what I have then it's a deal breaker. For example: What happens if the vendor goes belly up in a couple of years? Their site is somewhat vague on such need.
No worries there, it totally is self sustained on your computer. You can even add profiles manually-this means there is no info already there, you do it all. It's just nicer/easier when someone has done the work already and you can download it. All the information is user generated and there is a voting process so that, in theory, bad info doesn't get through. In practice, it happens and I advise staying away from the forums if you don't like arguing.

It does have an option to host the info online for easy access if you're away or want to share your database with someone else.

I have used it without internet many times and it works just fine. There is only one owner, Ken, and his wife, Gerri, so updates take awhile and they don't have much of a presence on the forums.

@Trevor: As for the iOS (that's the mobile one, right? I can never remember the name of it), I do own that as well. Don't use it as often as the regular one as I have an iPod Touch, so my screen is small. I do like it though, for lists when I go shopping-I know what I already have and what I don't have. It, however, does have most of the other functions of the regular program, if I remember correctly. Do you have a particular question? I can check it out on mine and tell you if it can do it or not.

I know you can use it separately from the regular version, though you do need at least the trial one on your computer to use it. Something with the syncing, I believe?
Old 12-09-12, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by LJG765
@Trevor: As for the iOS (that's the mobile one, right? I can never remember the name of it), I do own that as well. Don't use it as often as the regular one as I have an iPod Touch, so my screen is small. I do like it though, for lists when I go shopping-I know what I already have and what I don't have. It, however, does have most of the other functions of the regular program, if I remember correctly. Do you have a particular question? I can check it out on mine and tell you if it can do it or not.

I know you can use it separately from the regular version, though you do need at least the trial one on your computer to use it. Something with the syncing, I believe?
Thanks! It looks like they have a mobile version for windows devices and also an iOS app for Apple devices.

My cheap self would be very interested in knowing if I could get full functionality out of just the demo version on my PC and the $9 appstore app. You have both so probably can't answer it for sure, but I'm sure I can search their FAQ/forums and figure it out.

I re-buy things so often that I really should have moved to another database the minute DVDSpot died.
Old 12-09-12, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I have an IPod Touch as well. Might have to look for the IOS version.
Old 12-09-12, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by gp1086
Haha, ok.
Even better, he's talking about this one

Old 12-09-12, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks! It looks like they have a mobile version for windows devices and also an iOS app for Apple devices.

My cheap self would be very interested in knowing if I could get full functionality out of just the demo version on my PC and the $9 appstore app. You have both so probably can't answer it for sure, but I'm sure I can search their FAQ/forums and figure it out.
First, I just want to say, I really like your picture in the holiday movie challenge list thread.

I'm about 99.9% positive that it does offer that. It was a big question when it first came out. And by buying the mobile version, you do get full access to the forums, so if you have problems, you get a lot of help. The help mostly comes from other customers, but almost always you'll get an answer that works.

I just went and browsed the forum and it looks like most people only use the desktop if they are converting from that to the mobile version. Also, up until just a few days ago, if you wanted an online version, you had to sync with the desktop, but now the iOS one does it too.

Ok, just read the description for iOS and it states that you do not need the desktop version to use it. It does support barcode scanning which is nice (I wish I had a camera on my iPod!). Looks like with both, you can print charts and reports from the mobile device and a few other things but most of them do require a paid version of the desktop version.
Old 12-10-12, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by davidh777
Even better, he's talking about this one
Nice one! I actually watched that film not too long ago and quite enjoy it.

Wings was a bad TV show example for me to use as obviously Tony Shalhoub would be quite familiar with it!
Originally Posted by LJG765
First, I just want to say, I really like your picture in the holiday movie challenge list thread.

I'm about 99.9% positive that it does offer that. It was a big question when it first came out. And by buying the mobile version, you do get full access to the forums, so if you have problems, you get a lot of help. The help mostly comes from other customers, but almost always you'll get an answer that works.

I just went and browsed the forum and it looks like most people only use the desktop if they are converting from that to the mobile version. Also, up until just a few days ago, if you wanted an online version, you had to sync with the desktop, but now the iOS one does it too.

Ok, just read the description for iOS and it states that you do not need the desktop version to use it. It does support barcode scanning which is nice (I wish I had a camera on my iPod!). Looks like with both, you can print charts and reports from the mobile device and a few other things but most of them do require a paid version of the desktop version.
Awesome! Thanks for the legwork LJG! Once I load up a discount Apple giftcard into my account I'll be buying my most expensive app ever.
Old 12-10-12, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No problem! I have both versions of the program and enjoy using them. I've never felt like I spent too much unlike Collectorz.com which I regret buying. I feel like the price is great, especially since all the future upgrades are included-for the lifetime of the product-so unlike other programs where you pay so much every few months, you pay out all at once and are done with it. Plus, I feel like with the money I've saved having a mobile list, it kind of paid for itself. I also love having the stats at your finger tips-how much you paid and where...

There have been some kinks with the program, but they get worked out eventually. Other than the occasional error message, I've not had any problems with either. I guess, my one complaint is that it takes a lot of memory and my old laptop is starting not to be able to handle it. But that is more on my end, than theirs.
Old 12-11-12, 11:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I have all my TV series in a spreadsheet showing which seasons I own and which have been watched. I have so many unopened sets that are double and triple layered in cabinets and on shelves it's easier to look at the list than to start moving everything around to get ideas. Of course there's the inevitable "I found what to watch and now have to actually find the set" search...
I really need to do this...i have so much stuff to watch and always forget what episode i'm on

Although i've been using Netflix/Amazon to watch TV Shows this year, so it's easier that way to remember where i am

I plan to try and finish Quincy ME(on netflix). I'm in the middle of S5, so it's doable. Also want to try to make it to S3 of the Virginian and The Big Valley(I'm on S2 of both). Virginian being 90 mins makes it tough.
I also want to finish Columbo, i'm in S9 right now. I'm also in S5 of Trailer Park Boys so want to see that to the end. Can't wait!
Old 12-12-12, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I finished my list of what to watch. While I probaly wont watch the whole thing before moving on to something else, I used random.org to decide what to start with, and I will be starting the challenge with Lion Force Voltron. Anyone else know what they will start with yet?
Old 12-12-12, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Anyone else know what they will start with yet?
I wrapped up the comedy challenge with season 4 of Big Bang Theory, so I will be kicking this one off with the 5th season. As for other stuff, I'd really like to try and wrap up Married With Children. I watched the first 4 seasons for a previous challenge and would like to get back to it.
Old 12-12-12, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I finished my list of what to watch. While I probaly wont watch the whole thing before moving on to something else, I used random.org to decide what to start with, and I will be starting the challenge with Lion Force Voltron. Anyone else know what they will start with yet?
I have a bunch of TV westerns to get through (Bonanza, Wanted Dead or Alive, Rawhide, Have Gun Will Travel, etc.) before plunging into anime again.
Old 12-12-12, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My tentative plan is to either re-watch Deep Space Nine in its entirety (or as close to it as I can) since 2013 will be the 20th anniversary of the show, or to finally go through all the free TV episodes I've downloaded from iTunes over the last few years.

Although, I may save Deep Space Nine for the Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge in July. I dunno.

Also, I'm looking forward to the next season of Dallas, which resumes in January. Also Downton Abbey, which I streamed in its entirety and got caught up on in July when I was down with a nasty flare. I think those are the only first-run shows I'll be watching, other than The Daily Show and The Colbert Report.
Old 12-12-12, 11:36 AM

I'm thinking about a plan of making 2013 an entire Challenge-year of TV for me. I'm so incredibly far behind in watching my TV sets, plus need to get my money's worth out of our cable bill.

Most of my plans never come to fruition, but I think this one might just happen. For January and this Challenge specifically, I'm not sure. Perhaps I should plan the whole year out in rough form, seeing what sets qualify for what months, and use January for the 'leftovers'. So mainly Drama perhaps.
Old 12-12-12, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm starting with volume 9 of Family Guy and the most recent season of South Park. That'll last me the first week at most and then I don't know what to do. Need to finish the first volume of Garfield and Friends I started before but didn't finish. If In Search Of... shows up in stock at amazon, I'd probably start going through those.
Old 12-12-12, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I'm thinking about a plan of making 2013 an entire Challenge-year of TV for me.
Sounds like a good idea for me, too. It would help me make a dent in the huge pile of anime series I have to watch.
Old 12-12-12, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I'm thinking about a plan of making 2013 an entire Challenge-year of TV for me. I'm so incredibly far behind in watching my TV sets, plus need to get my money's worth out of our cable bill.
That seems totally doable. I think I incorporate some TV into every challenge except Oscars and Criterion.
Old 12-12-12, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Sounds like a good idea for me, too. It would help me make a dent in the huge pile of anime series I have to watch.
It surprises me that you still have a huge unwatched pile, given the amount I've seen you watch in various Challenges over the years; but I guess it's similar to horror (or almost any genre really) in that there is a TON of stuff available.

I'm leaving a DVDTalk will, specifying where Jen is to send all my DVDs. You get my meager anime collection.
Old 12-12-12, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777
That seems totally doable. I think I incorporate some TV into every challenge except Oscars and Criterion.
You're right, those two will be a bit difficult.

Criterion doesn't have much TV content on disc.

For the Oscar Challenge perhaps I'll cheat and watch DVDs of the expanded TV versions of nominated films, if I find any. But just the show will count at least; and I'll use both months to watch qualifying films on cable.

Back on topic, did we ever decide on the dusk to dawn extensions?
Old 12-12-12, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You're right, those two will be a bit difficult.

Criterion doesn't have much TV content on disc.
I highly recommend Fishing with John. I streamed it during the Criterion Challenge in September and got a big kick out of it. Keep in mind, I hate fishing. I hate it so much I almost bolded, italicized and underlined "hate" in that last sentence.

For the Oscar Challenge perhaps I'll cheat and watch DVDs of the expanded TV versions of nominated films, if I find any. But just the show will count at least; and I'll use both months to watch qualifying films on cable.
Funnily enough, the handiest example for you to use there is the TV version of Fanny & Alexander which of course also qualifies for the Criterion Challenge. You might consider one version in either challenge. Might be kinda neat to do that. Hell, I might do that myself!

Back on topic, did we ever decide on the dusk to dawn extensions?
Yeah, I ruled earlier we'd start at dusk on New Year's Eve since there are some New Year's Eve-set movies that make sense to be able to watch that night. As for ending at dawn, I'd be lying if I said I cared. So...sure.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.