Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 5

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 5

Old 11-01-12, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Well due to my giants making the world series and the presidential debates I lost about 63 hours of viewing. I did make a personal best 76 with 55 new films, I watched 22 DVDs, 7 blu , 1 VHS, 1 YouTube, rest streamed through iPod to tv from Hulu,Netflix,Amazon.

Was a lot of fun!

Thanks for the hard work organizing this much appreciated. Enjoyed the list subset. didn't finish it but did expand my viewing to things I normally would never watch and did ok with it.
Old 11-01-12, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

My list calculations are done and here are all the totals...

TOTAL: 129 (movies, TV shows & Wild Cards)

Personal Goal: 100 (reached at 7am Sun. 10/28 after finishing Rob Zombie's Halloween II) (TV show totals hadn't been factored in)
☼ = First Time Viewing (12) (TV Shows & Wild Cards not included)
Blu-ray (25)
DVD (46)
Online Streaming (Netflix, Youtube, etc.) (33)
Theater (1)
Movies on TV (7 / not counting TV Shows)
TV Shows (14 Credits)
Wild Cards (4)
Most Movies Watched in One Day (TIE 10/17 & 10/31) (7)
Old 11-01-12, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Trying to get a few stats together on my list to make it easier for Chad. It should be done by tomorrow.
Old 11-01-12, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts

From last year's discussion:

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane View Post
Very early in the challenge, I asked myself if I should include vomit sequences in my tallies because they kept on popping up (From a character seeing a corpse, to puking out of fear, to drunkeness, to motion sickness, to transformation sickness....Even frickin' creatures and animals were puking) But still, the barfing would just not let up!!!
I knew I should've included the puke-tally this year! It's no surprise that I continued to run into numerous barf moments for this challenge. I've definetly learned my lesson now. Thankfully, the good ol' malfunctioning cars and the no-having-reception-cellphones made up for that glaring omission.

At least I stayed true to my promise of mostly watching recent (Or fairly recent) DTV movies. Whatever the cable networks fed me, I mostly watched. So how did it go? Without further ado...

Awards time!

Best Movie(s) (First time viewing)
Mother's Day (2010)-This is how remakes should be done. This was also the best home-invasion film I've seen in years.
Slaughter High-Dull moments are things that I'm always used to seeing in 80's slashers. I couldn't recall that many in this one.
The Children (2008)-I still don't know if this was supposed to be a remake, but it certainly was one of the more unsettling & creepily effective movies I watched.
Dead Birds-The only supernatural movie that haunted me the most.
Dance of the Dead-Though it fizzles out towards the end, this was definetly the best horror-comedy I saw.
Pontypool-Well worth the hype & wait. Stephen McHattie gave the best performance I saw for this challenge.
Death Carries a Cane-I've been mostly "Miss" with giallos lately, but this was a pleasant rebound.
Frayed-Though you could see the twist coming within the first 5 minutes, the second twist really elevated this into something more special.

Worst Movie(s)
Detention (2010)-While everyone else seemed to rave about another movie called "Detention", this was possibly the most painful thing I had to sit through.
Are You Scared?-Gawdawful SAW ripoff. But it dead have one of the better head-chopping moments (By axe) that I saw in this whole marathon.
Tooth and Nail-I don't even watch SyFy movies, but this sure as hell reminded me of one.
The Tomb-I watched about a handful of Fred Olen Ray movies last challenge. None of them were as bad as this.
Honorable (Or Dishonorable) mention to the good BAD movies I saw:
Route 666
Curse of Alcatraz
Butchered
Mesa of Lost Women
Silent Scream
aka The Retreat
Nightbeast
The Long Island Cannibal Massacre

Imagine My Surprise! (aka "holy shit, I actually enjoyed that!")
Dark Wolf-Aside from the incredibly laughable CG done on the transformations (We're talking EXTREME rough-cut animatics here!) this still ended up being my favorite werewolf movie of the challenge.
Lost Boys: The Tribe-Surprisingly not as bad as I always feared. And definetly not as bad as some of the forgettable crud I had to endure.

Biggest Disappointment(s)
Shiver of the Vampires-I'm sure it'll get better on repeat viewings, but I ended up liking my other Rollin-viewed film of this challenge (Demoniacs) more than this.

Best "Better on a 2nd viewing" movie
Halloween 5:The Revenge of Michael Myers-This was the first time that I watched parts 4 & 5 (In their entirety) since their VHS debut. While part 4 still feels like a standard sequel, I appreciated the frantic pace and dizzying camerawork that 5 has....The ending still sucks though.

"WTF did I just watch?"
Reborn
The Dark Power
Don't Go in the Woods
Sinful
Assignment Terror
Mother's Day Massacre

Favorite Horror Babes(Consisting of heroines,villainesses/she-beasts and victims):
Sheryl Lee-John Carpenter's Vampires
Sienna Guillory-Resident Evil:Apocalypse
Amelia Cooke-Species III
Hannah Fierman & Helen Rogers-V/H/S/
Rebecca DeMornay-Mother's Day
Anuska Borova-Death Carries a Cane
Jessica Biel-The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Joanna Pacula-The Kiss
Tiffany Shepis-Nightmare Man
Hayden Panettiere-Scream 4

Most Favorite Kill:
Autopsy-Fire extinguisher scene. It's basically the same as Irreversible's, but there's more bloodspray. This was probably the most gruesome movie I saw in the challenge too (Though Human Centipede II wins out in non-traditional horror)

Most favorite scene:
Deadgirl
Spoiler:

Last edited by Mondo Kane; 11-02-12 at 03:40 PM.
Old 11-01-12, 05:30 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I didn't have time to participate much in the discussion, but I did hit my goal of 50 films. This was a busy October with going to Scarowinds (twice), doing my 1st Zombie Run Challenge (human, finished in 2 hours and was only 'bitten' once), the Renaissance Fest (turkey leg GOOD) and my 1st murder mystery dinner (fun). Movie that stands out the most was Carrie (Get 'er done), watched for the 1st time, what a great movie.
Old 11-01-12, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 346 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by hbsvb View Post
I enjoyed my first horror challenge and managed to watch more than my personal goal of 40. I purchased a number of cheap used DVDs and Blu-rays, intending to watch them during the challenge, but there were so many movies which I had not previously seen which were available on Netflix or I had recorded on my DVR, that I didn't even watch any of them. I guess I am well supplied for next year's challenge.
Congrats on longer being a challenge virgin.

I whittled down most of my new-to-me titles, although my unopened pile is still more of a mountain than a mole hill. Lucky for me I'm not yet burnt out so I'll get some more in this month, especially since a few qualify for the Comedy challenge.

Originally Posted by indiephantom View Post
I just want to help protect the integrity of theme nights. Which, by the way, I have become somewhat enamored of during this challenge. Favorites were the robots, technology themes, arthouse horror and road terrors (wish I could have squeezed in a couple more for the latter). It's really awesome when you can watch multiple films from the same subgenre in a day.
Glad to hear it. I was initially worried that totally revamping theme nights with considerably less repeats and including more niche categories would not only effect the selections, but possibly the subset list also. But I think both lists turned out great.

Originally Posted by caligulathegod View Post
I don't know if this has been suggested, but it would make it much easier on Chad if participants not only numbered their lists but totaled them as well. It makes it MUCH easier to tally First Time Viewings, etc. if they are are totaled on the lists. I know it was driving me nuts going through each list counting * and other symbols or colors.
That's the best suggestion I've heard all day. But yeah, if you can I'd very much appreciate all the help I can get. I'm bound and determined to get the feedback thread up earlier this year.

Yeah, I'm definetly relieving Chad and bringing the calculator out to count all those corpses and boobs before my list gets fully finalized. I was stunned to see him go through that last year. Poor guy

Originally Posted by TBC View Post
I've got a question, though. When it comes to counting first time viewings, how should I count short films and TV episodes?
As Trevor mentioned, for 1 entry it's 120 minutes for TV episodes (including commercials) and 90 minutes for short films or, to be more precise:

30 minute shows = an entry
1 hour shows = an entry
90 minute shows = an entry
2 hour shows = 1 entry

It's not an exact science so it's up to you whether or not you wanna include fractions. Rounding down and or up is perfectly fine.
Old 11-01-12, 08:08 PM

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

I still feel the urge to cram in as many horror movies as I can...
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
...As Trevor mentioned, for 1 entry it's 120 minutes for TV episodes (including commercials) and 90 minutes for short films or, to be more precise:

30 minute shows = an entry
1 hour shows = an entry
90 minute shows = an entry
2 hour shows = 1 entry

It's not an exact science so it's up to you whether or not you wanna include fractions. Rounding down and or up is perfectly fine.
For next year I suggest this guideline be applied to extra features and bonus supplements. That may already be the case but it would help to clarify. That way people can indulge in deleted scenes or 20 minute "making of" value added content and if they view enough formally count it. I did that with some features this year and will throw down a wild card if need be. Sometimes I hear people lament they wish they had more time for special features, it doesn't have to be one of the other.
...I'm definetly relieving Chad and bringing the calculator out to count all those corpses and boobs before my list gets fully finalized. I was stunned to see him go through that last year. Poor guy!
What do you think happened to Chad's back? Statistics overload!
Old 11-01-12, 08:23 PM

Dang. I just tallied up my total for this year: one movie short of my goal. Also, I realized that I forgot to watch the haunted house episode of The Andy Griffith Show this year, which I've done for every October challenge. Double-dang!
Old 11-01-12, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Chad View Post
As Trevor mentioned, for 1 entry it's 120 minutes for TV episodes (including commercials) and 90 minutes for short films...
From past discussion I always understood FTV counts to be separate from entry totals. My bad. I adjusted my current list.

Did you have an opinion, Chad on my post? I just want to make sure counting the 31 Films would be fine if done of some alternate days. Thanks.
Old 11-01-12, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here are some of my non-movie items that I purchased and saved for the challenge. Thought I'd share!

Great F13 CD box set, limited to 1300 units:
Spoiler:

A couple original horror vinyl:
Spoiler:

Last edited by Dick Laurent; 11-01-12 at 09:27 PM. Reason: spelling clarification
Old 11-01-12, 10:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had fun again this year. The storm brought a premature end to this challenge for me, but happy to have electricity again this afternoon after three days. I was tempted to begin the Comedy Challenge with a few horror comedies, but decided to go in a different direction to start. Will probably get in a few ghost comedies in, since I've been meaning to watch the Happy Ghost series for years.
Old 11-02-12, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

What all stats will you need, Chad? FTV, type (DVD/BR/TV...), ect.? Thanks! Or a point to the right message would be ok, too.
Old 11-02-12, 03:20 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
I'm not Chad, but what I would do is look at all my TV shows, and for every 120 minutes that was FTV, I'd count it as 1; same for shorts with 90 minutes. I wouldn't bother with fractions.

And congrats on finishing your first Challenge!
Yeah, that's what I did.
Old 11-02-12, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Fear No Evil has an amazing soundtrack - too bad it's not integrated particularly well into the film.
Old 11-02-12, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by ororama View Post
Will probably get in a few ghost comedies in, since I've been meaning to watch the Happy Ghost series for years.
I'd be interested in hearing about those. I've seen them and thought about picking up the first entry, at least, but I've always held off.
Old 11-02-12, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 442 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent View Post
Did you have an opinion, Chad on my post? I just want to make sure counting the 31 Films would be fine if done of some alternate days. Thanks.
We already confirmed with you that you are good on the daily subset films. You are far from the only person who watched all 31 films but on different days than the ones assigned, and this has been the rule for some time.
Old 11-02-12, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Are you thinking that to qualify for the Theme Night drawing you only watch the theme for the day and do not deviate? Wasn't sure how much of the integrity you are trying to protect.
Oh, no. That would make it hard on the checklist. I would think you'd just have to watch at least one title pertaining to theme of the day.
Old 11-02-12, 09:50 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 360 Likes on 249 Posts

Chad, wonderful job as always. To do all the work you do as usual, even during your present physical recovery situation, shows amazing dedication and caring. We are truly blessed to have forum members like yourself.

Let's all get our stats done to make it easier on him for the results post.
From past discussion I always understood FTV counts to be separate from entry totals. My bad. I adjusted my current list.
I'm sure it wouldn't affect the overall stats too much, but doing it your way would have the statistical possibility of the FTV totals actually exceeding 100%.

Yes, as clckworang just re-confirmed. I'm pretty positive that from year one of the subset, they've never had to be watched on that specific day to count. Only the theme days are that way.

Originally Posted by coyoteblue View Post
I'd be interested in hearing about those. I've seen them and thought about picking up the first entry, at least, but I've always held off.
Same here!
Old 11-02-12, 10:27 AM

Thanks for answering my question, Trevor and Chad. I'm off to finalize my list, but before I do:

Best First Time Viewings
1. Dead of Night
2. Curse of the Undead
3. Frankenstein Created Woman
4. Tourist Trap
5. The Man They Could Not Hang

Worst First Time Viewings
1. Night of the Blood Beast
2. Mountain of the Cannibal God
3. Ghost Town
4. Before I Hang
5. The Witch Who Came from the Sea

And the most memorable of the rest:
Werewolf Woman

Edit: In going over my list, I saw that I'd miscounted. My real total was 54 entries, not 53.

Last edited by Cabman Gray; 11-02-12 at 12:11 PM.
Old 11-02-12, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Mountain Of The Cannibal God rules.
Old 11-02-12, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks all. Great feedback. I appreciate it.
Old 11-02-12, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 346 Likes on 147 Posts

Yeah, like everyone mentioned you're fine on the subset list. It's theme nights where the intention is to watch on the specified day. And being those two are lumped together in the same category you'll be eligible for the same prizes.

And that suddenly brings to mind that we have 20 more prizes to giveaway this year (50 compared to last year's 30) and with 47 still available that leaves room for another category or two. This is what we had last year:

-Trivia Questions
-Everyone
-100 & Over
-Most Impressive List (don't forget to cast your vote)
-Participated in 5 or More Challenges
-Subset, Themes or Checklist
-Checklist Completion

Any suggestions for something new? I'm coming up empty. Or I could always just up the number of prizes per category.

A couple original horror vinyl:
Spoiler:
Gotta ask - does anything happen if you play the first one first backwards? That would be marketing genius if that were the case.

Originally Posted by LJG765 View Post
What all stats will you need, Chad? FTV, type (DVD/BR/TV...), ect.? Thanks! Or a point to the right message would be ok, too.
Okay, and I had to consult with last year's results thread for this:

First Time Viewings
Formats Viewed (and FYI, I include NWI streaming separate from other streaming and online viewings)
Personal Goal
Decades Viewed

And not all of these are stats, but mentioning little things like the following (if they apply) would help:

which, if any, of the optional lists you completed
if you're a first timer
equipment failures
commentary listens
total time viewed (if you included running times)
marking your list as complete
past years you participated (if you didn't participate last year, otherwise I can copy & paste it from last year's results thread)

I *think* that pretty much covers everything.
Old 11-02-12, 05:47 PM

urgh
idunno how people can stand horror movies
Old 11-02-12, 06:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I finished with 88 movies, exceeding my goal of 80. I also finished the checklist and did all of the theme nights. I once again had a great time doing this challenge and many, many thanks to all the participants but especially to Chad, who really makes this one special.

Best First Time Viewing: William Lustig's Maniac (1980)
This one just grabbed me by the throat and would not let go. It's sleazy, gritty, and intense. Joe Spinell as the main character makes this movie but the director also did a fine job.

Biggest (good) surprise: Repo! The Genetic Opera
Totally unfamiliar with this until a few participants mentioned it early in the discussion, so when I decided to try for the checklist I figured I could use this for the musical. I loved every minute of it and was especially pleased to see Anthony Steward Head with a big role.

Special Mention: The Black Cat (1934)
Not a first time viewing but for some reason I never realized until this year the downright twisted nature of this movie. Both Karloff and Lugosi are excellent in their roles but I think what makes this film unique comes from director Edgar G. Ulmar who also wrote the story the script was based on. This is available in The Bela Lugosi Collection which has four other movies, three of which also feature Karloff.

Worst Piece of Crap Ever: Beneath Loch Ness (2002)
Sometimes a movie hits you the wrong way. Maybe you're tired or in the wrong mood or what ever. Or maybe it just really is a piece of crap. I think that's the case here. Awful acting, stupid characters, dumb script, lame looking monster. Watching this was, I think, the only time I every got angry that someone made a movie and that I was watching it. I'm getting pissed off now just thinking about it and I have a pretty high tolerance for bad. Be warned.
Old 11-02-12, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by KidMoD View Post
urgh
idunno how people can stand horror movies
I'm sure that proper spelling, capitalization, and punctuation is disagreeable to you as well. But thanks for your opinion none-the-less.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.