Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 4

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 4

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-12, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Congrats to all the new 100 Club members! Your membership package including the passkey, black robe, chalice and other essentials will be mailed to you shortly.

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
figured i'd pass this along...not sure how many of you watched the JUDITH short i posted a couple years ago but here's another from the some of the same people. this ones a bit longer (62 minutes) so it should count as a whole entry.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tpu6aIfuOp4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Thanks for that. That was actually better than a few of the official sequels.

And I'll throw out a recommendation for Halloween: Return of the Sandman also from the same people, which takes place before this one and is almost as good.

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
If Chad still has it and wants to post it, I invite him to.
My pleasure:

While not officially shown but it is implied, the money was actually counterfeit, so no real money was stolen. Since the guy implied that he could buy her off, with money like that, his plot was that she would deposit the cash, get in trouble, then he would come in to save her, forcing her to become his in return.

Her boss, on the other hand, had a different plan. He knew that she was unhappy, as he'd spent much time making her job as uncomfortable as possible. He knew that by working with the other guy to have her deposit his money, that she would run off with it. What he didn't know was that the money was fake, as the owner of the money had his own plan, as described as before.

Seeing as her boss has had such a powerful influence over her, controlling her actions without her knowing through a long and brutal process of breaking her will and building it back up so she was predictable in her actions, he not only knew that she would run off with the money but that she would probably decide to stop at that hotel. Through a long period of building up her will under his command, various object, conversation, etc., were done with her so that when she saw the Bates motel, he knew that that would, "awaken her" in a way and she would stop there.

Why did he have her stop there? A little backstory on that first.

As we know, Norman killed his mother and his father. Her lover was the identical twin of Marion's boss, who eventually discovered what Norman had done. Instead of going to the police, he hatched a plan to appear to Norman as the ghost of his father, slowly driving him mad. Breaking his will, he slowly influenced Norman so that the site of someone with Marion's features would drive Norman into a crazed killer, which he would snap out of once the murder was committed. This is why none of the other guests were ever in any danger. This now brings us to the point of having Marion killed.

Her boss, unbeknownst to Marion, had put a large insurance policy on Marion with a double indemnity if she were murdered. Once murdered, her boss had to go through some motions to have what happened to her discovered. He also couldn't have the police on the case, just in case they discovered some sort of connection. This is why he only contacts a private detective to look for her and the "money".

Knowing this would set Norman off on a craze, that would require him to kill the detective, it also helped his boss since even if Norman figured out what happened, who'd believe a nut job like Norman? It truly was a perfect crime.

The amount of the counterfeit currency was $40,000.
Old 10-30-12, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Anyone have any good non-silent streaming 1920's movie links?
Old 10-30-12, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chad
Congrats to all the new 100 Club members! Your membership package including the passkey, black robe, chalice and other essentials will be mailed to you shortly.
Joined today myself!

My pleasure:

While not officially shown but it is implied....
Wow, that takes submitting your answers as a complete sentence to a whole new level! Great read, Mister Peepers.
Old 10-30-12, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

decide to venture out in the open world today post sandy to well go see a movie in the theater. crazy how bad my area is where my neighborhood apparently got lucky.

saw Silent Hill and being a fan of the games I liked it for a few scenes/characters being on the big screen *same reasons i like the resident evils. I also really enjoyed the 3d effects in it also one of the best horror 3d movie i have yet to see.
Old 10-30-12, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

I went to see Paranormal Activity 4 and enjoyed it but agree with many a change from found footage would be refreshing. I think the reason most people don't appreciate Paranormal Activity films is because of their slow pacing. I need to get an Xbox and a Kinetic; does it really do that?

I also caught Sinister, nothing revolutionary but it was scary in the theater. Probably won't hold up as well as the comparable Insidious. I appreciated the in-joke about the demon, seen in trailers, as appearing to be from a Swedish heavy metal band because at least it's self-aware of how derivative aspects were. I love it when films create a fake mythological folktale that you find out is totally fictitious on researching; there's enough interesting real folktales for harvesting... ever since the Blair Witch I've never understood that.

Franco doesn't seem very popular here but good Franco can be very enjoyable... Lorna the Exorcist is a great eurosleaze masterpiece and I enjoyed "Exorcism" yesterday. If you've got any interest in eurohorror it would be a mistake to dismiss Franco.

I caught the first Simpsons Treehouse of Horror and was reminded how great the early ones were with relevant "creepy" parody (instead of venturing into Harry Potter land).
Originally Posted by SethDLH
Franco's Faceless on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJZx6t_UVMk
The only problem with Faceless is that Lina Romay is only in it for a few seconds, it's more of a cameo than anything... I watched another movie because I would have felt dirty counting Faceless; but she is in there (just don't blink). Seeing her in Exorcism I was able to appreciate her... talents... better.
There sure do seem to be enough prizes to go around. So far 4 down, and I'm too lazy to count how many are left.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-30-12 at 05:00 PM.
Old 10-30-12, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Please continue discussion in part 5!