Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 4

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 4

Old 10-27-12, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 346 Likes on 147 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Wow, Suspiria looks amazing in HD. It was made for Blu-ray.

And what was Hammer thinking in not letting this film come to fruition:

Spoiler:
Old 10-27-12, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 440 Likes on 311 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

I got off to a super late start today. I had a lot of things I need to do. Ugh! It's the homestretch, and it would be nice to have a little marathon time this weekend. Oh well. I just noticed that I should be able to better last year's total anyway, so I guess mission accomplished regardless. I've got one more subset film that still needs to be watched. I'm trying to decide if I'm going to do that one next or wait until tomorrow (maybe even wait until its scheduled day, which is Tuesday). Then I'll just have the themes to keep up with since I'm done with the checklist. I can't believe it's already the end of the month, though I suppose I'm ready to get back to normal.
Old 10-27-12, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

Now if I could just find a film written by Jimmy Sangster with special effects by Rick Baker and composed by Ennio Morricone featuring actor Oliver Reed I'd be set.

Instead I'll have to settle for squeezing in Nightmare Castle (Ennio Morricone), The Brood (Oliver Reed), American Werewolf in London (Rick Baker), and Curse of Frankenstein (Jimmy Sangster); if I can get one of these in to my viewing schedule a day I'll be on track.

Regarding Max Von Sydow checklist item, Dreamscape turned into a much better movie than I expected with some cool nightmarish imagery and a thrilling plot.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-27-12 at 10:50 PM.
Old 10-27-12, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Focusing on the Godzilla films, might be wishful thinking but might be able to get from King Kong vs Godzilla to Godzilla: Final Wars by Halloween.
Old 10-27-12, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Broke 100 yesterday with Detention which i have heard alot about over the last couple months. In the beginning I couldn't get into it but as it went on it grew on me

I watched Psycho Sleepover today on youtube...and i liked this way more then i should shooting a mime with a imaginary gun had me rolling. low budget badness, but filled my need for troma style i been missing in this challenge.

watched two of my top horror titles today that I usually save for Halloween, but would of sucked if we lost power in the storms coming up and I missed them. Blair Witch Projects and Trick r Treat which i watched with my niece.

now I also did some preparing since i wanted to finish the bonus categories as I never have before.

incase I do lose power I loaded up 3 movies on my ipod so i can atleast complete the theme days.

now if we dont lose power I managed to grab the couple titles I didnt have and werent streaming from a friend of mine yesterday so I have 14 movies to catch up on.

and rest of the time will be spent completing the checklist *which I doubt ill complete.

what is working in my "favor" is Iv been feeling like shit the last few days and have done nothing but watch movies and nap so i watched quite a bit so far this weekend and im off till thursday
Old 10-28-12, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad View Post
And what was Hammer thinking in not letting this film come to fruition:

Spoiler:
That it would have had to have been better than this (had they known what was to come):

Spoiler:

Last edited by coyoteblue; 10-28-12 at 12:30 AM.
Old 10-28-12, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Quick question, I hope. What is considered a monster/creature? Could Frankenstein count for this? Mad Monster Party? That one does have monster in the title... I've gone through people's lists for this, but I'm still questioning what would work. Thanks!
Old 10-28-12, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by Undeadcow View Post
Now if I could just find a film written by Jimmy Sangster with special effects by Rick Baker and composed by Ennio Morricone featuring actor Oliver Reed I'd be set.
I'm doing wolf (1994) for special effects by Rick Baker and composed by Ennio Morricone but doesn't have Oliver Reed in it or is written by Jimmy Sangster, helps though.
Old 10-28-12, 05:23 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang View Post
Anyone else record Mockingbird Lane? I anticipated hating it. In fact, I sort of wanted to hate it, but I ended up having a lot of fun with it.

If anyone happens to still have it on your DVR, could you check to see what the episode title was? I could be wrong, but I seem to remember that it wasn't titled "Pilot." I deleted it before checking, though.
The Mockingbird Lane on my DVR doesn't have a title, just a description.

I haven't watched it yet, but I've really enjoyed the creator's other work. Glad to hear you liked it.
Old 10-28-12, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 183 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by LJG765 View Post
Quick question, I hope. What is considered a monster/creature? Could Frankenstein count for this? Mad Monster Party? That one does have monster in the title... I've gone through people's lists for this, but I'm still questioning what would work. Thanks!
Yes to both titles. Many titles qualify as "monster" is somewhat subjective. It could be argued that Mr. Hyde (Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde) is a monster, same for The Invisible Man. Then there are the physical monsters - the Frankenstein monster, Godzilla, Rodan, Mothra, and more. Here's a IMDB advance search with the keyword monster. As you see, there are *lots* of choices in this little sub-section and many overlap with "creature".
Old 10-28-12, 06:54 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 353 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by terrycloth View Post
incase I do lose power I loaded up 3 movies on my ipod so i can atleast complete the theme days.
Good idea. I'd hate to end up with no power the last 2+ days of the Challenge and just miss getting to 100 films and full theme and subset participation.
Originally Posted by LJG765 View Post
Both of those easily work. That checklist item probably covers more films than any other item.
Old 10-28-12, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by clckworang View Post
Anyone else record Mockingbird Lane? I anticipated hating it. In fact, I sort of wanted to hate it, but I ended up having a lot of fun with it.

If anyone happens to still have it on your DVR, could you check to see what the episode title was? I could be wrong, but I seem to remember that it wasn't titled "Pilot." I deleted it before checking, though.
Originally Posted by walletboyniac View Post

I haven't watched it yet, but I've really enjoyed the creator's other work. Glad to hear you liked it.
NBC officially pulled (canceled) it before bringing it to series. Therefore it is no longer a pilot, just a TV special. There is a slim chance that it could be revived, but very slim. Even Friday timeslot slim.
Old 10-28-12, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Screwadu View Post
Focusing on the Godzilla films, might be wishful thinking but might be able to get from King Kong vs Godzilla to Godzilla: Final Wars by Halloween.
That's a good idea, I think will try to see how many Godzilla films I can get in before the end of the challenge.

Last night I continued with more of Witchblade, finishing Disc 1, and got in Predator 1 and 2 off of AMC's Fearfest. Love the line in 2, Danny Glover: It's ok, I'm a cop. Lady in the apartment: I don't think he gives a damn.
Old 10-28-12, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Watching Godzilla King of the Monsters right now, and was wondering, would Gojira be considered a different film that I could count as another movie, or is it s choice between Gojira and Godzilla King of the Monsters?
Old 10-28-12, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by shadokitty View Post
Watching Godzilla King of the Monsters right now, and was wondering, would Gojira be considered a different film that I could count as another movie, or is it s choice between Gojira and Godzilla King of the Monsters?
I think they're different enough to count as separate films, but would understand arguments against that.
Old 10-28-12, 11:02 AM

Hit my personal goal of 100 at 7am this morning! It's all gravy for the next few days...
Old 10-28-12, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 370 Likes on 218 Posts

Know I've said this in the past but worth repeating. Whenever some nutball goes off and kills a bunch of people and the media blames horror films somebody should point towards this thread as a showcase how people can watch, at some points, 200 of these flicks a month and the worst damage done is lack of exercise.
Old 10-28-12, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by mikewendt View Post
Hit my personal goal of 100 at 7am this morning! It's all gravy for the next few days...
Congrats! I think I'm getting close to 100. If my power goes out tomorrow and I end up stuck at 99 I may snap.
Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian View Post
Know I've said this in the past but worth repeating. Whenever some nutball goes off and kills a bunch of people and the media blames horror films somebody should point towards this thread as a showcase how people can watch, at some points, 200 of these flicks a month and the worst damage done is lack of exercise.
You're forgetting that Jeffrey Dahmer was a DVDTalk regular.
Old 10-28-12, 11:22 AM

I'm at 92! I'm going to hit 100 movies this year! I'm inordinately excited about this since I didn't make it last year...or the year before...or the year before that I think. Woo-hoo! I'm pumped. Only 8 more movies to go! And most of them have been good, too, even though I relied mainly on Netflix streaming. Yay for the 100 club! WAY better than the 700 Club!
Old 10-28-12, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

watched 3 subset films and one film for the checklist so far staying focused on goal at hand.

this being my third day sick its getting to me today. guess ill have to bite the bullet tomorrow and goto the dr before the storms hit if i don't feel better.

i also should have prepared better for these lists as I haven't found any over lap to save some time lol and some of the titles I have to put myself thru, but i consider this karma for putting everyone thru a Raine Brown movie which i noted alot of people hated lol
Old 10-28-12, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 440 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by walletboyniac View Post

Thanks for checking.

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent View Post
NBC officially pulled (canceled) it before bringing it to series. Therefore it is no longer a pilot, just a TV special. There is a slim chance that it could be revived, but very slim. Even Friday timeslot slim.
Yeah, I know all about that. That's why I could have sworn I saw some type of episode title other than pilot on the description. I remember thinking it was odd that there would be an episode title at all if it wasn't picked up. I'm probably mistaken.
Old 10-28-12, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Congrats! I think I'm getting close to 100. If my power goes out tomorrow and I end up stuck at 99 I may snap.
gotta get a full charge on the laptop so you can make it through the storm...
Old 10-28-12, 11:53 AM

Yesterday I caught House of Wax on TCM; while it's always a treat to watch Vincent Price, I think Mystery of the Wax Museum was slightly better overall. I think I'll watch that one for the film/remake part of the checklist.

Also watched TCM's A Night at the Movies: The Horrors of Stephen King and wasn't very impressed. At an hour, it wasn't long enough to do the subject justice. Plus, King said The Haunting wasn't really that scary, then proceeded to completely misinterpret a key scene. Big thumbs down for that.

Much better was watching an episode of Boris Karloff's Thriller. I'd forgotten just how good that show was.
Old 10-28-12, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow View Post
The Brood (Oliver Reed), American Werewolf in London (Rick Baker), and Curse of Frankenstein (Jimmy Sangster); if I can get one of these in to my viewing schedule a day I'll be on track..
One I highly recommend for those looking for a title by Jimmy Sangster is The Legacy, which was available in full on YouTube.
Old 10-28-12, 12:09 PM

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by terrycloth View Post
...this karma for putting everyone thru a Raine Brown movie which i noted alot of people hated lol
What Raine Brown film? Are you the one who recommended 100 Tears? People should have known to go wih Bettis anyway.
Originally Posted by indiephantom View Post
One I highly recommend for those looking for a title by Jimmy Sangster is The Legacy, which was available in full on YouTube.
Thanks, if I go for The Legacy I'll let you know what I think.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.