Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 4

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 4

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-12, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I can chime in on the Star Wars spoilers. My wife, a foreigner, hadn't seen Star Wars and I showed them to her when the box set came out, starting with the prequels. For her, it was a completely new experience and didn't know anything about it.
I'm keeping out of this discussion for the most part, but this brings up a good point that I can relate to. Though it may be hard to believe that people haven't seen any SW films, I myself have never seen a Godfather film. Not sure if the million or so references/tributes I've seen on TV and film really are spoilers, but between that and the non-stop dialogue and re-enactments I've encountered from various friends, family, or passer-by's, I really don't even care to see it. It's a film that’s mostly been ruined for me.

But I'm 36 years old, so not like I haven't been exposed to a lot of possible "spoilage" throughout the years. Maybe one day I'll get to it.
Old 10-20-12, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Another Lugosi recommendation for today's theme that's rarely mentioned - Phantom Ship. Bela shows his dramatic side in one of the first Hammer films.
Old 10-20-12, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Picked up the Roger Corman Drive in collection for 5$ at best buy so I could watch Creature from the Haunted Sea and wow was i disappointed. it wasn't what i was expecting at all. however i did love seeing exposed skin on the monster throughout.

also got to the theater today and saw the possession which like apparition was disappointed in it. I think im just bored with this formula of these ghost stories. I still wanna catch Resident evil 5, Sinister, Pa4, and silent hill hopefully I get atleast one good theater experience in those
Old 10-20-12, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by indiephantom
Don't let the spoilers stop you from checking out Don't Look Now. It's a creepy, atmospheric and amazing film from Nicolas Roeg.
I agree here. I usually mock movies where I feel that a big wad of nothing happens in the middle, sandwiched between an opening sequence where a lot happens and an ending sequence where a lot happens, but this one didn't feel to me like "nothing" was happening in between the opening sequence and the ending. I saw a man and a woman falling apart after a terrible tragedy, and that kept my interest because I felt so badly for them. As for the ending,
Spoiler:
it honestly didn't even register with me that it was a "murderous dwarf," I thought it was a stooped over old lady when I first saw the movie, and only got the rest when I discussed the movie with other people and they told me what happened at the end. For me, the point wasn't that the "big reveal" was a killer dwarf, it was that this man spent the whole movie thinking he was solving a mystery and that he was going to get closure, and then he finds what he's looking for and it wasn't what he thought at all, and he dies a horribly meaningless death after he spent the whole movie searching for some meaning in his daughter's death. It was devastating for me. I didn't even really know at first whether the lady who killed him in the end was supposed to be the killer or whether it was just an old lady that he startled by following her and she stabbed him because she thought HE was the killer coming after HER, I just felt bad that this poor guy was cut down like that (even though he probably shouldn't have been following people down dark streets with a killer on the loose). The ending shocked me, but not because of the revelation of the killer's identity, really, just because I saw the man spending the whole movie thinking he's going to find some deeper meaning, and all he finds is more senseless death.
Old 10-20-12, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Romero's Dawn of the Dead is quite a wild ride! I watched Night of the Living Dead for last year's challenge and decided I should watch more zombie flicks. I really enjoyed the mix of satire and genuine horror. I borrowed the DVD from my local library and almost had a fit when it froze at the most inopportune time. Thankfully, cleaning the disc allowed me to finish.

For email readers: Spoilers Ahead. There's not much I could say that hasn't already been said. Though I will mention that playing a zombie must have been a very disgusting experience. Also, here is a list of my five favorite zombies:
Spoiler:
1. Nurse Zombie: She stumbles into the mall. She stumbles out. She never eats anyone or dies.
2. Boy Zombie: He just wants a new bicycle.
3. Gun Enthusiast Zombie: He prefers cold steel to warm brains.
4. Zombie Roger: He was sorta a dick. Dying aged him more than any other zombie.
5. Pilot Zombie: Despite fantastic facial hair, he never saw that helicopter blade comin'.

Also, watched The Ghost and Mr. Chicken, one of my childhood favorites. I remember being scared by it when I was ten. I was that kid.
Old 10-20-12, 09:34 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

I have tried to ignore the discussion on spoilers here as I haven't watched the movie in question but plan to watch it this month. I gather though that there are different opinions with some defending the idea that spoiling old movies or those that some feel are not any good is acceptable and some saying it is not acceptable. I suggest that those opposed to spoilers will have to concede to those that defend spoiling movies and maybe join a discussion group that is opposed to spoilers. For myself, I guess I will have to stop reading the posts here so if any one starts up a group opposed to spoilers let me know so that I can start joining in again as I am squarely in the camp that does not appreciate reading spoilers during challenges. I just hope that a way can be figured it out to keep this from ruining the other challenge discussion threads.
Old 10-20-12, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

The Asphyx was much better than I expected, some plot holes but chilling and effective. I had some reservations about the PG rating.
Originally Posted by orlmac
I have tried to ignore the discussion on spoilers here as I haven't watched the movie in question but plan to watch it this month. ...For myself, I guess I will have to stop reading the posts here so if any one starts up a group opposed to spoilers let me know so that I can start joining in again as I am squarely in the camp that does not appreciate reading spoilers during challenges. I just hope that a way can be figured it out to keep this from ruining the other challenge discussion threads.
I share your concerns; but only 2 people, a small minority, were defending open spoilers and I think that was just academic posturing so I assume they don't plan on cavorting around ruining more movies for people. I advise you to continue participation and recall your username as I have appreciated your list/comments/participation in the past. The original post was funny but short sighted. Although the follow-up debate has been entertaining and it did clearly established the guideline of absolutely no open spoilers in the general forum (so should ease some of your concern) I'm ready to get back to horror movies. Now off to first time viewing of The Burning.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-20-12 at 09:55 PM.
Old 10-20-12, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

My unwatched dvd pile for the challenge is quickly dwindling. I think I should be able to knock them out before the challenge is over! Of course this doesn't include unwatched boxset titles
Old 10-20-12, 09:57 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
I share your concerns; but only 2 people, a small minority, were defending open spoilers and I think that was just academic debate so I assume they don't plan on cavorting around ruining more movies for people. I advise you to continue participation and have appreciated your list and comments in the past. The original post was funny but short sighted. Although the follow-up debate has been entertaining I'm ready to get back to horror movies.
Thanks for the advice. I had just skimmed the posts so it sounds as if I overreacted to the discussion. It's easy to not think and spoil something but I was concerned by the ongoing discussion that I must have misinterpreted.
Old 10-20-12, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
I'm keeping out of this discussion for the most part, but this brings up a good point that I can relate to. Though it may be hard to believe that people haven't seen any SW films, I myself have never seen a Godfather film. Not sure if the million or so references/tributes I've seen on TV and film really are spoilers, but between that and the non-stop dialogue and re-enactments I've encountered from various friends, family, or passer-by's, I really don't even care to see it. It's a film that’s mostly been ruined for me.

But I'm 36 years old, so not like I haven't been exposed to a lot of possible "spoilage" throughout the years. Maybe one day I'll get to it.
If it helps you out any, I'm 35 and didn't watch Godfather trilogy until a few years ago and even with the references I've seen, mostly related to the horse head, it didn't really detract from the rest of the film. It's pretty broad in the sense that what I'd seen didn't really take away anything from the films.

And for what I just watched, the reboot of the Friday the 13th series, the only concept for a reboot that I could tell was that it rebooted somewhere near the end of the original series when shit started to just not make sense and it became just a typical slasher with nothing going on in the backstory. At least with the first half of the films, you have the Tommy Jarvis angle, no matter how minor it was, at least it was something. This just had stuff going on, basically the only thing being a slasher fest with no connection to anything else at all. Would have been nicer is they had started with something to build off of for more of a series but what they started with is probably one of the reasons why this new series isn't going to continue.

It did inspire me to bust open my Nightmare on Elm Street blu-ray collection and also my Leprechaun set for some classic awful 80s series that degenerated into abominations.
Old 10-20-12, 10:05 PM

Just reached my original goal of 200 with Sundown: The Vampire in Retreat, which was actually pretty fun and a better milestone film than my 100th film

Starting to get a little exhausted from all the films, but the month is almost over so I'll keep pushing through. Helps get rid of all those unwatched films that I keep hoarding away and ignoring as well.
Old 10-20-12, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Watching Countess Dracula right now... the movie isn't top notch Hammer fare so far but how can you not love Ingrid Pitt?
Old 10-20-12, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Wasn't even trying to do theme nights this year, but I guess i stumbled upon a theme night pick tonight anyways, Elvira's Movie Macre: Count Dracula's Great Love. Caught it on Hulu, and if anyone is looking for the horror host checklist item, Hulu has quite a few eps of Elvira's Movie Macabre.
Old 10-20-12, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Wasn't even trying to do theme nights this year, but I guess i stumbled upon a theme night pick tonight anyways, Elvira's Movie Macre: Count Dracula's Great Love. Caught it on Hulu, and if anyone is looking for the horror host checklist item, Hulu has quite a few eps of Elvira's Movie Macabre.
Watched that a few years ago... it is so terrible.
Old 10-20-12, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now watching The Ape Man (1943) with bonus fuzzy Bela Lugosi!
Old 10-20-12, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Watched Nosferatu tonight. Not a first watch, but the first time I watched my copy. I enjoy the play of shadows and Nosferatu himself is just so creepy-his hands were wonderfully done!

Does anyone remember the film done awhile ago-maybe within the last 10-15 years-where it was about the making of Nosferatu? Thought of it while watching but can't think of the title.
Old 10-20-12, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Now watching The Ape (1940) with bonus fuzzy Boris Karloff!
Old 10-20-12, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by LJG765
Does anyone remember the film done awhile ago-maybe within the last 10-15 years-where it was about the making of Nosferatu? Thought of it while watching but can't think of the title.
Shadow of the Vampire
Old 10-20-12, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Does anyone still get scared watching movies? If so, which ones?
Old 10-20-12, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Any news on the Critters retrospective Docu?

Also hitting 75 with Seed People. Working the next 8 days so it is going to be a bit rough working movies in.

Last edited by SterlingBen; 10-20-12 at 11:52 PM.
Old 10-20-12, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Nekromantik (1987)...

Now THAT'S messed up!
I usually don't get disturbed by these flicks having seen so many but this one...
Old 10-20-12, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jacob_b
i can't remember the last time i got scared from a movie...and sadly miss those days. *i did frikking jump at a jump scare in Chernobyl Diaries if that counts

I been watching a few movies with my youngest niece when i can this month and enjoy exposing her to new movies and watching her half hidden under a blanket through entire movies.

Best i can do is being uncomfortable watching certain movies...so far A Serbian Film is the only one on my list so far this month that falls under this category
Old 10-20-12, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
Nekromantik (1987)...

Now THAT'S messed up!
I usually don't get disturbed by these flicks having seen so many but this one...
I was in a bad movie club in high school and this is one of the movies I made everyone watch.
Old 10-20-12, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by jacob_b
I think the last time was watching Paranormal Activity at home alone. But this new one Insidious looks like it might fit the bill
Old 10-20-12, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

almost had another big letdown because of my crap bd player with Stake Land. Luckily after unplugging the player and messing with it, it finally loaded the disc.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.