Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like the 8th Annual Holiday Challenge (11/19 - 1/1)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like the 8th Annual Holiday Challenge (11/19 - 1/1)

Old 12-28-12, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts
Re: It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like the 8th Annual Holiday Challenge (11/19 - 1/1)

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
The Blu-ray titles are all $7.

I didn't see this in the current ad and didn't dig out any old ones but was in the local BL today (50% off all Christmas stuff) and looked for a copy. I didn't see it on either format, BUT I didn't do a "deep dig" while looking and didn't look at the $5 DVDs (I tend to ignore those unless someone reports finding a especially desired OOP title). Of course with BL it's *always* a YMMV situation.
It was an online ad, I think I grabbed the link from a topic on this forum, but couldn't tell you which one. It's possible it was an old one, but I hadn't seen it before. I might be getting to the store today if I have time; I'll be pretty close to it, but it's starting to snow so it will depend on the roads by the time I get there.
Old 12-28-12, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like the 8th Annual Holiday Challenge (11/19 - 1/1)

Got to Big Lots, no Love Actually, but I did pick up a Christmas film, Once Upon a Christmas. I saw it this year and it was pretty cute and at 3 bucks a fun addition to my Christmas films.
Old 12-29-12, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Getting a bit frustrated, tomorrow I leave for the 3rd time during this challenge for a few days. So, tonight will be most likely the last time I get any watching done as I won't be back till the 1st. Ugh.

Just watched the Santa Incident-a cute movie about Santa being shot down by the air force and landing in a small town where a family finds and takes care of him. Meanwhile, a nutso homeland security agent thinks he's an alien and tries to capture him and his elf agents. Not the most Oscar worthy movie, but worth a watch if you get a chance.

Hoping to get one or two more watches in tonight before I go to bed but not sure what I'll get too. I'm just glad I finished the checklist-it was getting to the point where I almost didn't make it!
Old 12-29-12, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 623 Likes on 457 Posts

I sort of hit a wall a couple of days ago. My son/daugher-in-law/grandson came in last week for Christmas and it's been very difficult to find time for holiday films. Those I managed to squeeze in were either late at night (after everyone had gone to bed) or accidental finds (even then they were late night viewings). Everyone has gone home and the house is "empty" again tonight (first time in several weeks that it's just my wife and me) but I'm just not in the mood. Currently watching S2 of Leave it to Beaver in anticipation of the TVonDVD challenge. I *may* try to work in Home Alone sometime over the next couple of days as it's the only "classic" I've yet to watch this year. Of course there's Batman Returns and On Her Majesty's Secret Service still in the wings just in case...
Old 12-29-12, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I lose my interest in Christmas stuff after Christmas Day each year. I'm also trying to squeeze in all of Batman: The Animated Series this month, since this was the 20th anniversary of the series. I've now finished all 65 episodes of B:TAS proper, all 20 episodes of The Adventures of Batman & Robin and both Mask of the Phantasm and SubZero. By pure happenstance, I was able to add "A Bullet for Bullock" to my Holiday Challenge view list, as it takes place between Christmas and New Year's Eve. The New Batman Adventures includes "Holiday Knights" so I'll get to count that when I get to it.
Old 12-29-12, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

I lost interest in the holiday challenge after Christmas as well, and have just been listening to the radio and watching some tv show dvds in anticipation of the TV on DVD Challenge.
Old 12-29-12, 10:48 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

I'm still obsessed with tearing through my Holiday shelf, finally opening dozens of new DVDs and BDs this month. Scaring myself a bit by how much I enjoy sitting through things like Paddington's Christmas.
Old 12-29-12, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 72 Likes on 42 Posts

Haven't seen anything Christmas related since inadvertently watching the Christmas episode of Where on Earth is Carmen Sandiego?. It was a fun episode with Carmen stealing the Chief so that she can pull some Christmas capers. Lots of fun!
Old 01-01-13, 05:18 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

Too busy the last couple days to plan out any New Year specific stuff, like I had hoped. Anyone else?

I did manage to find my disc of Rudolph's Shiny New Year, so that old favorite was my final viewing for this Challenge.

I hope everyone had a great Christmas and New Year, and are joining us in the TV Challenge.
Old 01-01-13, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 406 Likes on 294 Posts

I had a lot of fun this year, and watched a personal best 153, mostly because I havent worked since October. Also saw some crazy stuff thanks to youtube, watched the Star Wars Holiday special for the first time.
Old 01-01-13, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I had a lot of fun this year, and did do a lot better than I did last year. I am also joining you all on the TV on DVD Challenge.
Old 01-02-13, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
I had a lot of fun this year, and watched a personal best 153, mostly because I havent worked since October. Also saw some crazy stuff thanks to youtube, watched the Star Wars Holiday special for the first time.
Doesn't not working give you so much more time to watch the TV? I've been out of work for 1 1/2 years now due to medical reasons, and once I got better enough to actually want to do something, I've been watching a lot of my back log. These challenges have defintiely given me a focus on what to watch next which is nice!

I finally got to see Nightmare Before Christmas, one of my favorites, unfortunately, not in time to count for the challenge, but at least I saw it!

I watched a lot of new things this year. I went crazy on the DVR and searched for Christmas movies. Watched a lot of the made for TV ones from ABCFamily and to their credit, most of them were watchable. Found a couple gems that I'll add to my annual watch list, even. I'd say this challenge was a close second on favorite challenges so far (first being the sci-fi/fantasy one).
Old 01-02-13, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I fell behind in the discussion thread, but I only watched a handful more titles than I discussed here. On the 23rd, I sat down and watched several of the Christmas episodes in my DVD library. That was kind of fun for me because I haven't watched virtually any TV programming all year outside of baseball, the Dallas continuation, some SNL and I've streamed The Daily Show and The Colbert Report via Hulu. It was nice to spend some time with Meatwad, Stewie and Huey Freeman again. I also re-watched "The Christmas Pudding" episode of the 1955 Sherlock Holmes. That entire series was delightful, and I'd heartily recommend it to anyone who enjoys Psych.

[Oddly enough, I didn't get to the Psych Christmas episodes.]

Here are my end-of-challenge remarks:

Looking Back
Christmas 2012 was a lot more enjoyable for me than 2011. I still didn't participate as much as I'd planned, but I had fun. By far, the highlight of the challenge was attending a midnight screening of It's a Wonderful Life with my cousin, my brother, his fiancee and her sister. I'd forgotten how funny the movie is, and it was great for me to see that my 17 year old cousin was genuinely entertained by it. The film's message hit home for me this year, too, as I've worked to rebuild myself emotionally.

I also made it out to see a live performance of The Nutcracker, courtesy of a pair of tickets some friends couldn't use.

Kudos to The Monkees for running another smooth Holiday Challenge!
Old 01-03-13, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 406 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by LJG765
Doesn't not working give you so much more time to watch the TV? I've been out of work for 1 1/2 years now due to medical reasons, and once I got better enough to actually want to do something, I've been watching a lot of my back log. These challenges have defintiely given me a focus on what to watch next which is nice!
I havent worked since October because of medical reasons also, but fell off on my watching towards the end due to family being in town. Thanks for another fun challenge. can the results thread be sooner, than waiting until this fall.

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 01-04-13 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-03-13, 12:48 PM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

I got to 30 which ties a personal best and about as much as I can do with everything going on during the holidays. Kudos to The Monkees for running a great challenge (per usual).
Old 01-03-13, 01:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got my second highest total at 150, which was much higher than I expected (my goal was triple digits but I never expected to get that high)

I'm most happy as i got through the majority of the "Christmas Classics" that I still had not seen. I watched White Christmas for the first time (I can see why it's a classic as it was enjoyable but it's not on my yearly list), the original Animated Grinch (this I did love and will be a yearly watch). I also very much enjoyed The Muppet Christmas Carol and Scrooged. Amazing how so many versions of the same story have been made and I enjoy so many versions. I need to make a rotation of 2 or 3 versions every year so I get around to all of them.

Great challenge, my favourite by far. Thanks for running it The Monkees. Still need to do the final editing of my list/stats which I hope to do later today.
Old 01-04-13, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks guys, I hope everyone had a ton of fun I know I did! Can't believe we've been doing this for 8 years now!

Hopefully I can have the winners thread this month as opposed to waiting a year like I've done the past 2 years.
Old 01-04-13, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks The Monkees for running a great challenge, and no hurry on the results thread, whenever you get around to it is fine by me.
Old 01-06-13, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Too busy the last couple days to plan out any New Year specific stuff, like I had hoped. Anyone else?
I squeezed in an episode of The League but nothing else NYE-centric.

Pleased to watch some new things this time, including first episodes of The League, The Big Bang Theory, and Bob's Burgers; first viewings of Harold and Kumar, and a Kristin Chenoweth TV movie; and the new Doctor Who Christmas special. I was hoping to finally see The Shop Around the Corner, but maybe next year. I noted as a wild card (though didn't count it) the "Elf" stage musical. It's been years since I saw the movie but have misplaced it so couldn't watch it before the show. Fun show, though.

Thanks to The Monkees for running the challenge, and thanks to all discussion participants, particularly for the Holiday Inn/White Christmas debate.
Old 01-20-13, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Corey31
I also very much enjoyed The Muppet Christmas Carol and Scrooged. Amazing how so many versions of the same story have been made and I enjoy so many versions.
I agree - and the interesting thing(s) about the multiple versions are how similar and how different they can be at the same time. There are obviously some that are entirely different from the core story, but even those that follow the plot - and dialogue - from the novel slavishly can be surprisingly different and good on their own merits. Even with identical words being said by similar people in identical situations!

I particularly enjoyed seeing the musical Scrooge (1970) again for the first time in years. Excellent music, and a very good film.