Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like the 8th Annual Holiday Challenge (11/19 - 1/1)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like the 8th Annual Holiday Challenge (11/19 - 1/1)

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-12, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
Re: It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like the 8th Annual Holiday Challenge (11/19 - 1/1)

Originally Posted by gp1086
Haven't seen Grumpy Old Men in a long time - actually forgot it's a Christmas movie. Was definitely one we watched in my household growing up. My dad always got a huge kick out of Burgess Meredith's one-liners.
It actually spans from just before Thanksgiving through Christmas night, with the epilogue taking some time in the Spring. It'd be a nice warm-up movie for early in the challenge, really. And yes, Burgess Meredith is hilarious in both of the films!

I just streamed the Merrie Melodies short, Gift Wrapped. Here's my review, as posted on Letterboxd:

This was free on Amazon Instant Video a year or so ago and I never got around to streaming it. Now that I have a streaming player, however, I enjoyed being able to access my Amazon Instant Video library (paltry thought it is).

I'll be honest: I was never a big fan of Tweety Bird. This short is the origin story of how Granny came to own Tweety - he was a gift from Santa Claus. Upon discovering this, Sylvester switches the tag with one of his gifts but Granny thwarts his efforts.

It's kind of a thin story, really, though I suppose it's no thinner than most of the Tweety shorts or even most of the rest of the Merrie Melodies/Looney Tunes canon. There's some stuff where Sylvester puts on an Indian headdress and uses a bow and arrow (with suction cup tip, rather than an actual arrowhead) to stalk Tweety. He calls himself Geronimo, and the score switches to a semblance of a golden age Western motif to accompany him. It's the kind of thing that would have seemed clever in 1952 but sixty years later only really dates the short.
My Letterboxd review also includes a breakdown of how it entered my Flickchart at #1370/1451.
Old 12-10-12, 04:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like the 8th Annual Holiday Challenge (11/19 - 1/1)

Just finished re-watching The Holiday. Here's my review, as posted on Letterboxd, spoiler'd for length:

Spoiler:
I first saw The Holiday on TV in, oh, 2008 or 2009, maybe? I dunno. It was certainly before 2010 because it wasn't on my watch list for that year's DVD Talk Holiday Challenge. I liked its premise and even though it's very much a predictable romcom full of cliches and the characters all live in sickening privilege, there was something about it that I just kinda liked.

Somehow or other, I wound up adding it to my Amazon Instant Watch library a couple years ago. Was it free, did I use a promotional credit? I don't honestly know and it doesn't matter. The point is, I have it and decided to stream it tonight.

It was a very different viewing for me this time, as I was happily married during the first viewing. This time through, I found myself identifying more strongly with both Amanda (Cameron Diaz) and Iris (Kate Winslet) and their frustrations over their respective relationships.

In the wake of an unexpected breakup in 2002, I flew out to Las Vegas to visit a friend of mine in the Air Force stationed at Nellis Air Force Base. We hung out for a few days or so, then drove home for Christmas, then drove back out to Vegas for New Year's Eve and then I flew back home just in time to start the next school semester. I thought about that getaway while watching The Holiday this time through, and how therapeutic it had been for me.

Part of the charm of this film is that it's very much a celebration of golden age Christmas films. Some of that is through the nature of the story or specific scenes, and some of it appears more directly through the characters of Arthur (Eli Wallach), the retired screenwriter, and Miles (Jack Black), the composer who talks often about different film scores. Sure, it's a naive romanticizing of the early years of Hollywood, but there's something so endearing about Wallach and Black as each discuss their adoration for films that speaks directly to the part of me that loves movies, too.

My cynical, jaded self could not have tolerated this film. By the time we find out that Graham (Jude Law) is a widower with two daughters, that me would have thrown something at the TV and yelled, "Oh, come on! Really?!" And forget about the scene where Amanda and he are lying in bed talking about the potential future of their relationship and they become tearful. That me would have had no patience or sympathy for either of them.

But this is an older, softer me who watched the film. This me understood the compulsion for companionship, the longing to be appreciated and the aching to be loved because he feels all of that daily. He misses how reassuring and thrilling it is just to hold someone's hand or to laugh over a glass of wine. Hell, he misses wine. Thank you, stupid Crohn's disease!

My inner objective critic would probably say that The Holiday is much too thin for a film with a run time of 145 minutes and that it relies much more on exploiting our preconceived notions of when we should go "Awww!" and not enough on giving us something original to inspire us.

My inner objective critic and my younger, cynical self can commiserate with one another about how they've both been pushed to the side. Storytelling is about connecting with us. Sometimes we make a connection happen purely because we want there to be a connection and maybe that's what's happening with me. I don't know and I really don't care. I just know that I felt a vicarious thrill watching it just now, and that I enjoyed it.
Old 12-10-12, 09:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I decided to put myself through A Christmas Story 2 and Home Alone 5 just because I felt I had to.

A Christmas Story 2: It was exactly what I was expecting. Bad jokes and lame references to the original classic with lots of scenes trying to capture the key moments of the first film. If I do give one complement to it though, I do like the look of the film. The locations and camera filter does capture some of the 1950s look and feel of the original. Did it need to be made? No. Am I happy it was made? Not really. This is definitely not something I would recommend to anyone but for fans of the original who like me feel they need to see it, it really is not THAT bad.

Home Alone 5: Watched this on ABC Spark (ABC Family in Canada). I have a weakness for this series even more so than A Christmas Story (I even like Home Alone 3... but not 4. Never 4) and overall I did enjoy it. It is not going on my yearly watch list but I'm sure if this is on TV again in future years and nothing great is on, I could sit down and watch it for a couple hours and enjoy it. I still cannot recommend it though.

So there you go, two films I can't completely recommend but are not as bad as I was expecting going into them. They worked to fill in time and entries while I save the classics for closer to Christmas.

Last edited by Corey31; 12-10-12 at 09:37 AM.
Old 12-10-12, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Corey31
Well, I decided to put myself through A Christmas Story 2 and Home Alone 5 just because I felt I had to.

A Christmas Story 2: It was exactly what I was expecting. Bad jokes and lame references to the original classic with lots of scenes trying to capture the key moments of the first film. If I do give one complement to it though, I do like the look of the film. The locations and camera filter does capture some of the 1950s look and feel of the original. Did it need to be made? No. Am I happy it was made? Not really. This is definitely not something I would recommend to anyone but for fans of the original who like me feel they need to see it, it really is not THAT bad.

Home Alone 5: Watched this on ABC Spark (ABC Family in Canada). I have a weakness for this series even more so than A Christmas Story (I even like Home Alone 3... but not 4. Never 4) and overall I did enjoy it. It is not going on my yearly watch list but I'm sure if this is on TV again in future years and nothing great is on, I could sit down and watch it for a couple hours and enjoy it. I still cannot recommend it though.

So there you go, two films I can't completely recommend but are not as bad as I was expecting going into them. They worked to fill in time and entries while I save the classics for closer to Christmas.
Thanks, Corey. I'll be checking out Christmas Story 2 shortly and go in with as open of a mind as I can. Does Home Alone 5 have a Christmas theme to it? The last one I saw was the third and don't recall it being around the holidays.

I noticed on your list that you watched Home Alone with the commentary. Thoughts? I'm considering doing this although that is probably my largest holiday staple movie and it's tough to imagine not watching the actual movie.
Old 12-10-12, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by gp1086
I noticed on your list that you watched Home Alone with the commentary. Thoughts? I'm considering doing this although that is probably my largest holiday staple movie and it's tough to imagine not watching the actual movie.
It is one of my favourites as well, that is actually what led me to listening to the commentary. Overall I really enjoyed it. Chris Columbus and Macaulay are having fun and there is a decent amount of tidbits and production facts they discuss throughout the film such as the low budget, Macaulay's fame etc. The commentary is a straight port of the DVD one (as is to be expected). I would recommend it for fans of the film.

I plan to watch Home Alone again without commentary closer to Christmas and get another holiday viewing out of it. I did a similar thing last year with Christmas Vacation.

As far as Home Alone 5 having a Christmas theme, it's a mild one but it is there. The film is about a different family (like the 3rd film) and is about a brother and sister home alone while their parents are out at a Christmas Party. As per usual thieves want something in their house and hilarity ensues.
Old 12-11-12, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cool. Thanks for the info, Corey.
Old 12-11-12, 11:54 AM

just so you know.. it's Home Alone 4... there never was a 5! And the bad guy in it is supposed to be Marv! (if memory serves me right)

I refuse to even acknowledge the 3rd and 4th Home Alone movies... the first 2 are just under Christmas Vacation as my favorite Christmas movies!
Old 12-11-12, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Skynet
just so you know.. it's Home Alone 4... there never was a 5! And the bad guy in it is supposed to be Marv! (if memory serves me right)

I refuse to even acknowledge the 3rd and 4th Home Alone movies... the first 2 are just under Christmas Vacation as my favorite Christmas movies!
There is a new one that was just produced and released this year, called Home Alone: The Holiday Heist aka Home Alone 5.

The characters have nothing to do with the McAllister family and the thieves are played by Malcolm McDowell, Eddie Steeples (best known as Crabman from My Name is Earl) and Debi Mazar.

See: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2308733/

Anyways this is far more discussion than either of these movies deserved. My goal was not to recommend them but to just say they were not downright dreadful haha.
Old 12-11-12, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm mad at myself because I let THREE days go by with no viewings! I was doing so well, but I was so busy that I just didn't have time to watch anything. Now that I have a day off I'm going to try and jam this day with viewings!

I'm just finishing up The Monkees: The Christmas Show, and will continue on from that!
Old 12-11-12, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 422 Likes on 305 Posts

It took me a while to watch the complete thing, but I just watched The Star Wars Holiday Special for the first time. Its laughably bad, crossed with a 70s variety show and clips from the movie. The only thing Holiday about it is in the title.
Old 12-11-12, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Yesterday, I watched a great film and a terrible one. It's finals week so I got grades entered and emails answered as I watched an English-dub of Santa Claus. I'm going to try to find the MST3K versions of it and Santa Claus Conquers the Martians which are among some of the worst films that I have ever watched. In the evening, I went over to a friend's house, and we watched White Christmas. It was my first time watching it, and I loved it. It will definitely make it onto the lineup of films I revisit ever holiday season!
Old 12-11-12, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Just finished watching Holiday Inn with mom and my 14 year-old cousin. I recently picked up the 3 disc version with both the b&w and colorized version. I gave them the option of which version to watch and the color version was chosen (by my mom, not my cousin!). Halfway through, both my cuz and I agreed the b&w version was a lot better. Mom, on the other hand, who grew up watching b&w films, refuses to watch them very often because she'd rather see them in color!

Santa Conquers the Martians is on my list to watch, going to find a MST3K version for the checklist. I like it. I know people think it's bad, but that's what I like about it! So bad, it's good!
Old 12-12-12, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
Yesterday, I watched a great film and a terrible one. It's finals week so I got grades entered and emails answered as I watched an English-dub of Santa Claus. I'm going to try to find the MST3K versions of it and Santa Claus Conquers the Martians which are among some of the worst films that I have ever watched. on!
Tried watching Santa Claus Conquers the Martians on netflix the other night, and couldn't even get through it all the way before turning it off.
Old 12-12-12, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Tried watching Santa Claus Conquers the Martians on netflix the other night, and couldn't even get through it all the way before turning it off.
Was it the MST3K version? Because that one's hilarious!
Old 12-12-12, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by The Monkees
Was it the MST3K version? Because that one's hilarious!
No, it was the straight version.
Old 12-12-12, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So...I was at Walmart and they had Call Me Claus for $3.96 with a promo code for a second movie free on Vudu and I'm a huge Garth Brooks fan so I had to buy it and I don't care if you judge me.
Old 12-12-12, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

If anyone's on Xbox Live, Christmas at Downton Abbey (part of season 2) is currently free.
Old 12-12-12, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Corey31
There is a new one that was just produced and released this year, called Home Alone: The Holiday Heist aka Home Alone 5.

The characters have nothing to do with the McAllister family and the thieves are played by Malcolm McDowell, Eddie Steeples (best known as Crabman from My Name is Earl) and Debi Mazar.

Anyways this is far more discussion than either of these movies deserved. My goal was not to recommend them but to just say they were not downright dreadful haha.
Wow! I had no idea about this... I only acknowledge the first 2, 2 of the best movies, but man why do they keep this "Franchise" going?!

And even worse, it has Ed Asner and Malcolm McDowell... why would they do this?!

I did watch Grumpy Old Men last night.. that is the perfect movie to watch when Christmas isnt quite the next week, and not so far away, it just puts you in that holiday mood with the snow and all! Plus it really is a damn hilarious movie!

I did just finish watching A Christmas STory 2... although obviously no where near as good as 1.. it wasnt nearly as bad as I expected, def wont ever watch it again, but it really could have been worse. Thank god for Daniel Stern!
Old 12-12-12, 11:23 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

watched Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale - I want to know what's in the water that these Scandinavian filmmakers are drinking - it's not as good as 'Trollhunters' (which is not X-mas themed) but it's just as wild and out-there
Old 12-13-12, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

I think the worst part of this film is Santa's terrible laugh. It haunts my nightmares! I've been taking a bit of a break from the challenge to watch the Sherlock Holmes collection I got from Amazon. Despite endless re-imaginings and actors, the Basil Rathbone/Nigel Bruce combination is by far my favorite!

I did watch the extremely hilarious Christmas episode of Community's third season. Lots of great jabs at Glee. Want to revisit the Christmas episodes of the first two seasons this weekend.

I've never watched beyond Home Alone. My siblings liked the first two sequels, but I don't remember watching them in their entirety. Not sure I have the gumption to dive into that franchise.
Old 12-13-12, 06:45 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

No, it was the straight version.
You should try the other version, it's fabulous!
Originally Posted by MinLShaw
So...I was at Walmart and they had Call Me Claus for $3.96 with a promo code for a second movie free on Vudu and I'm a huge Garth Brooks fan so I had to buy it and I don't care if you judge me.
I'd get a similar verdict, and will look for this at my next Walmart visit.
Originally Posted by davidh777
If anyone's on Xbox Live, Christmas at Downton Abbey (part of season 2) is currently free.
Thanks! link
Originally Posted by Giles
watched Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale - I want to know what's in the water that these Scandinavian filmmakers are drinking - it's not as good as 'Trollhunters' (which is not X-mas themed) but it's just as wild and out-there
Just picked this up in the Oscilloscope sale and am looking forward to it!
I did watch the extremely hilarious Christmas episode of Community's third season. Lots of great jabs at Glee. Want to revisit the Christmas episodes of the first two seasons this weekend.
Good call! Just picked up all three seasons.
Old 12-13-12, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Just about to update my list and I stumbled upon this. Have a Lynchian Christmas with these holiday-viewing suggestions.

http://entertainmentguidefilmtv.blog...christmas.html
Old 12-13-12, 12:18 PM

I've never watched beyond Home Alone. My siblings liked the first two sequels, but I don't remember watching them in their entirety. Not sure I have the gumption to dive into that franchise.
You should, at least with part 2, I always enjoyed that one. 3 is pretty goofy, I've never seen 4 or 5.
Old 12-13-12, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Every time I watch Home Alone, I get pissed off. Kevin's family members were such assholes.
Old 12-13-12, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I hope to get to Home Alone tonight, but agree with Darth Maher; Kevin's family members were jerks! He wasn't the best kid, but I have a feeling that if someone paid attention to him, he would have been a lot better behaved. That being said, I do enjoy the movie. Have only watched the first two. Never felt the need to watch more.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.