Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like the 8th Annual Holiday Challenge (11/19 - 1/1)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like the 8th Annual Holiday Challenge (11/19 - 1/1)

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-12, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts
Re: It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like the 8th Annual Holiday Challenge (11/19 - 1/1)

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
And the colorization isn't too bad. Although I generally prefer the B/W version some scenes are quite good - especially that sequined dress Virginia Dale wears in one of the dance sequences with Astaire.

Just do it! It's worth the price for the dance sequences alone. Astaire is fantastic and when he and Dale take the floor together it's magic! The musical numbers are simply spectacular (even "Abraham" which many today feel is somewhat offensive due to the stereotypical nature and black-faced Crosby). These comments coming from someone who generally does *not* like musicals.
I was just at Target and picked it up-shouldn't have, but couldn't resist the price. The one they're selling is a 3 disc version. First disc has the original b&w and some featurettes, plus commentary. The 2nd disc has the color version. Third disc is a music cd with 12 Irving Berlin holiday songs from the original soundtrack. Pretty good deal for that, I think.
Old 11-30-12, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts
Re: It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like the 8th Annual Holiday Challenge (11/19 - 1/1)

Originally Posted by LJG765
I was just at Target and picked it up-shouldn't have, but couldn't resist the price. The one they're selling is a 3 disc version. First disc has the original b&w and some featurettes, plus commentary. The 2nd disc has the color version. Third disc is a music cd with 12 Irving Berlin holiday songs from the original soundtrack. Pretty good deal for that, I think.
That's the one I have. It's a *very* good set, especially at the Target price. I originally purchased it as an upgrade over the Holiday Inn/Going My Way double feature due to the improved B/W print and was surprised at how good the colorization looks.
Old 12-02-12, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Just caught a Christmas show on of all channels, the Weather channel. Epic Christmas, kind of an Extreme Makoever Home Edition type show where a group goes all out to decorate a family's home.
Old 12-02-12, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, I watched It's a Wonderful Life. It's one of two holiday films I wasn't looking forward to watching for the challenge but since they're on the checklist I had resigned myself to watching. It wasn't as bad as I was thinking it would be. I liked it better than I had the first time I saw it, though, I still only rate it a 2.5 out of 5 stars. It will never be my favorite.

Biggest pet peeve? It takes almost 2 hours for them to show us that Bailey is good and Potter is bad. Then, the end of it feels almost rushed rather than spending more time on life without George. If you're making a full 2 hour movie, at least make the whole thing balanced!

I know, I know, I'm in the minority for disliking this movie, but oh well!

The 2nd one I'm not looking forward to watching? A Christmas Story. Dislike!

Well, off to try to finish putting up the Christmas lights on the outside of the house...I feel like I'm surrounded by Roseanne Connor's family and we're the Grinch's!
Old 12-02-12, 04:26 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 679 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by LJG765
Well, I watched It's a Wonderful Life. It's one of two holiday films I wasn't looking forward to watching for the challenge but since they're on the checklist I had resigned myself to watching. It wasn't as bad as I was thinking it would be. I liked it better than I had the first time I saw it, though, I still only rate it a 2.5 out of 5 stars. It will never be my favorite.

Biggest pet peeve? It takes almost 2 hours for them to show us that Bailey is good and Potter is bad. Then, the end of it feels almost rushed rather than spending more time on life without George. If you're making a full 2 hour movie, at least make the whole thing balanced!

I know, I know, I'm in the minority for disliking this movie, but oh well!

The 2nd one I'm not looking forward to watching? A Christmas Story. Dislike!

Well, off to try to finish putting up the Christmas lights on the outside of the house...I feel like I'm surrounded by Roseanne Connor's family and we're the Grinch's!
Coincidentally, those are the last two films I watched (finishing up IaWL as we type).

I had soured a bit on A Christmas Story over the years, but I loved it again last night. Perhaps because it was a first time view for both my wife and daughter, and seeing them enjoy it so much made it a great experience.

It's a Wonderful Life is a near perfect movie IMHO. I'm getting more empathetic as I age and well up at many emotional scenes and even commercials. Not cry cry, just well up a bit. But that scene in IaWL where the pharmacist hits young George and then realizes what happened gets me literally bawling every-time. Just thinking about it gives me shivers.
Old 12-02-12, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I liked that scene as well. Like I said, it was better than I remembered but it just went on too long in my opinion setting up the money shot, so to speak.
Old 12-02-12, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Today, I broke open an AMC set of public domain holiday features and watched Beyond Tomorrow and Scrooge: A Christmas Carol (1935). I've been watching so many BDs and remastered films that it took some time to get use to the extremely grainy quality of both films. Both were fun romps with ghostly interference.
Old 12-02-12, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
Today, I broke open an AMC set of public domain holiday features and watched Beyond Tomorrow and Scrooge: A Christmas Carol (1935). I've been watching so many BDs and remastered films that it took some time to get use to the extremely grainy quality of both films. Both were fun romps with ghostly interference.
I have yet to watch it, but my copy of the 1951 Scrooge has the 1935 Scrooge as a bonus feature.
Old 12-02-12, 10:19 PM

Have been curious as to why I never bought the recent version of A Christmas Carol. Hear it's a clunker, but I need to own it of course. Was doing some cleaning today, going through boxes I haven't opened since ~2010. I found three BD copies of the film.
Old 12-02-12, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Three?
Old 12-03-12, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I watched A Christmas Story 2 and it's absolutely terrible! I mean I didn't expect it to be any good but seriously, it's awful!
Old 12-03-12, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Monkees
I watched A Christmas Story 2 and it's absolutely terrible! I mean I didn't expect it to be any good but seriously, it's awful!
Haha, yeah - I saw the two thumbs down in your list. As many bad reviews as this gets and as terrible as the trailer was, I'm still going to check this out. It may just be sheer curiosity, but I feel like I have to give it at least one watch.

What format did you watch it on?
Old 12-03-12, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Because of that film, I recently learned there's something like 6-8 films based on that family.
Old 12-03-12, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
Three?
It appears that I bought the regular BD, then later bought what was apparently my first ever 3D BD, then later found a coupon and bought it again. I meant to return the first two, but they all got buried under some papers and later packed away in a box.

So in a way, I just rediscovered my Christmas of 2010, and have two gifts for others' Christmas 2012!
Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Because of that film, I recently learned there's something like 6-8 films based on that family.
I haven't researched them much, but have heard only negative things so far. Perhaps A Christmas Story was sort of a one-hit-wonder thing.
Old 12-03-12, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I finally got started early this morning when I couldn't sleep. I've been meaning to revisit Batman: The Animated Series all year (this being the show's 20th anniversary) and with the calendar nearing its end, I decided it was high time I started. The second episode, of course, is "Christmas with The Joker".

Mark Hamill always sounded like he was having the time of his life recording as The Joker. It's easy to forget today that when this show debuted, there hadn't been anything animated on TV with actual bullets in decades. There is a sort of Silver Age silliness to the episode; Joker escapes Arkham using a rocket-powered Christmas tree, for instance, and his hideout is full of oversize toy soldiers and teddy bears. There's also an edge of actual danger and a storytelling sophistication that sets this show apart from its contemporaries.

My favorite bit in the whole thing is when Robin is pleading with Batman to call it a night, go home and watch It's a Wonderful Life. "You know, I've never seen that. I could never get past the title," says Batman. I laughed. Later, they do sit down to watch it and Bruce grouses, "It's not excessively cheerful, is it?" Those are throwaway lines, but they tell us a lot about Bruce Wayne as a character. It's also not the kind of banter that we younger viewers had come to expect at the time. Sure, cartoons were full of byplay stocked with wry humor and peppered with cultural references, but this wasn't just about the standard set-up/punch line/rim shot formula. This was the kind of dialog that actual people would have about It's a Wonderful Life.

I'm holding off on revisiting that film until the midnight show on the 22nd, but I'll have to remember to pair it with "Christmas with The Joker" in the future.

On the DVD, it's particularly weird because the fourth episode, "The Last Laugh", also features The Joker...and it's set on 1 April ("April Fools Day"). It's a little odd as a viewer, how the production sequence wasn't built around chronology.
Old 12-03-12, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
...I haven't researched them much, but have heard only negative things so far. Perhaps A Christmas Story was sort of a one-hit-wonder thing.
I picked up a copy of My Summer Story (aka It Runs in the Family) at BL for $3 a while back. It's not too bad... but barely worth the $3 I paid and really plays much like a made-for-TV-movie even though it had a theatrical run. When I read A Christmas Story 2 is a straight to video movie and Ralphie is of driving age wanting a car for Christmas I immediately wrote it off (like I *should* have done with Christmas Vacation 2). Based on what you guys have said it sounds like a good decision.
Old 12-03-12, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Started with Elf last night. Always fun to watch.
Old 12-03-12, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I haven't researched them much, but have heard only negative things so far. Perhaps A Christmas Story was sort of a one-hit-wonder thing.
Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I picked up a copy of My Summer Story (aka It Runs in the Family) at BL for $3 a while back. It's not too bad... but barely worth the $3 I paid and really plays much like a made-for-TV-movie even though it had a theatrical run. When I read A Christmas Story 2 is a straight to video movie and Ralphie is of driving age wanting a car for Christmas I immediately wrote it off (like I *should* have done with Christmas Vacation 2). Based on what you guys have said it sounds like a good decision.
I watched My Summer Story just a few days ago. I liked it. Nowhere near as much as I like A Christmas Story, but I thought it was a fun movie (it probably helped that I like Charles Grodin and Mary Steenburgen).

Edit: Oh yeah, A Christmas Story 2 looks like crap, but I'll probably watch it once.

Last edited by Dimension X; 12-03-12 at 04:34 PM.
Old 12-03-12, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have no plans on watching Christmas Story 2. Don't want to watch the original, but it's on the checklist...

I taped quite a few Christmas movies off the Family Channel and have been trying to watch them the last few days. Been getting distracted but crossed a few off my list. A Holiday Engagement and A Town Without Christmas were the first two. I would recommend A Town Without Christmas. Has the mother from Everybody Loves Raymond and Peter Falk in it. I wouldn't say it's Oscar worthy but worth the watch if anyone else catches it on TV.

A Holiday Engagement-well, you can pass on that one. It's pretty bad. It's what you think of typical holiday movie-girl gets dumped, pays a guy to play her fiance, falls in love with guy, first guy comes back, girl realizes guy 2 is the guy for her. There, told you all you need to know so you don't need to suffer through it.

Watching Matchmaker Santa. So far so cute. Some fun cameos. John Ratzenburger, the Brady Bunch mom...

My watching is going to be a bit sporadic the next week and a half or so. Going out of town for a week or so. Plan on bringing some DVDs with, but just not sure how much I'll actually get watched.
Old 12-04-12, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
Beyond Tomorrow is great, I'm surprised it has never been remade (to my knowledge.) I want to see the Legend Films colorized version, but it is an edited cut, as is their colorized Scrooge.
Old 12-04-12, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When I was picking up The Dark Knight Rises at midnight, I saw Best Buy had the combo pack of Silent Night Deadly Night 1 & 2 on DVD for $9.99, so got that as well. Planning to check out during the challenge for the first time.
Old 12-04-12, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

First of all, I noticed that there are a wide variety of shows that have christmas episodes, even documentaries. Right now I am Watching Christmas in Yellowstone from Nature on Hulu.

Also Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer is on CBS tonight.
Old 12-05-12, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't know why I never thought of this but what is everyone's favorite Christmas TV episode? Or maybe a list of your favorites?

My favorites include The Monkees Christmas episode because it's actually got a great emotional moment and the part where Mike explains what Christmas means makes it great.

And the first Full House Christmas episode from season 2 simply because of the scene where Uncle Jesse explains Christmas...

I guess I enjoy people talking about the true meaning of Christmas.
Old 12-05-12, 04:17 AM

A few favourites:

The Simpsons - Marge Be Not Proud
Frasier - Miracle on 3rd or 4th Street
Moonlighting - 'Twas the Episode Before Christmas
The West Wing - In Excelsis Deo
Home Improvement - 'Twas The Flight Before Christmas
Community - Abed's Uncontrollable Christmas
Six Feet Under - It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year
Malcolm in the Middle - Christmas
Christmas Eve on Sesame Street
King of the Hill - The Unbearable Blindness of Laying
The X-Files - How the Ghosts Stole Christmas
Hey Arnold! - Arnold's Christmas
The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air - 'Twas the Night Before Christening
South Park - Mr. Hankey's Christmas Classics
Futurama - Xmas Story, A Tale of Two Santas
ER - A Miracle Happens Here
Old 12-05-12, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't know why I never thought of this but what is everyone's favorite Christmas TV episode? Or maybe a list of your favorites?
It's Garry Shandling's Show - It's Garry Shandling's Christmas Show (1987)
Married With Children - You Better Watch Out (1987)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.