Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-12, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent;11420954. [B
Twin Peaks FWWM [/B]is horror, and IE holds the horror element a little more steady, but in a crazy, Lynchian way.
One of my favorite films. Would be an amazing film for tomorrow's theme as has been mentioned. Lynch would work for a few films: Eraserhead; Lost Highway; Mulholland Dr. have a strong psychological horror element.

Right now pre-planning tomorrow, I plan to watch Francis Coppola's Twixt, Ken Russell's The Lair of the White Worm and Paul Bartel's Eating Raoul so far. There are a couple of other Blu-rays I might pull out like The Nesting, as well.
Old 10-10-12, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
I'd say the psychological for sure. Fits arthouse too, though. Problem is I don't see either listed as theme nights. Now I want to watch it again, though.

I still want to watch The Wizard of Oz as a WC. Other than the crazy scary monkeys and the
Spoiler:
melting witch
it definitely fits Halloween, as it is one of the most used themes/costumes in trick-or-treating. Every time I bring this up I get laughed at though, so I haven't counted it as a WC... yet.
The arthouse/avant-garde theme day is tomorrow.

I've been thinking about using a wildcard for Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. I think the witch elements and the pure evilness of the queen veer into some borderline territory. I remember the witch spooking me out as a kid. Plus, I've still never watched the Blu-ray!
Old 10-10-12, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

IMDb really does seem to be wrong with some of those genres. At least horror should be third or fourth for the thrillers I check on. For the IMDb purists, maybe next year we should have a couple "Thriller" cards. They wouldn't be as flexible as a WC (no shorts, unrelated subjects, etc). But it would put this "Thriller" issue at bay, and still allow for feature film counts toward the total. Maybe I'll bring this up in the post discussion thread.
Speaking about thrillers, I just picked this movie up and wonder what Straw Dogs would be. IMDb says Thriller, but is there any horror in it?
Old 10-10-12, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by jacob_b
Speaking about thrillers, I just picked this movie up and wonder what Straw Dogs would be. IMDb says Thriller, but is there any horror in it?
Well, at the time, it was considered to be gruesomely violent, but now it seems a lot more tame, although the rape scene is pretty awful. 40 years of slasher films tend to desensitize one to violence in films.

I was thinking Kwaidan or Cronos for Arthouse Day, or maybe some stroke of inspiration will hit and I'll choose something else.
Old 10-10-12, 06:10 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I still want to watch The Wizard of Oz as a WC. Other than the crazy scary monkeys and the
Spoiler:
melting witch
it definitely fits Halloween, as it is one of the most used themes/costumes in trick-or-treating. Every time I bring this up I get laughed at though, so I haven't counted it as a WC... yet.
The Wizard of Oz is creepy as fuck. Like it was made on another planet.
Old 10-10-12, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for pointing out my error. I completely over-looked tomorrow's theme. Straw Dogs is close to LHOTL, but it plays more on the intensity/cruelty of the situation, not the slasher/stalking/revenge/bad-guys-in-house horror theme like Last House.
Old 10-10-12, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by walletboyniac
The Wizard of Oz is creepy as fuck. Like it was made on another planet.

I love the ep of King of Queens when Jerry Stiller sees Oz for the first time, and he's traumatized at the end. Classic!
Old 10-10-12, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

I know many who won't agree, but I love The Descent (2005). IMO, one of the best Horror films of the past decade.
Old 10-10-12, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Gobear
Well, at the time, it was considered to be gruesomely violent, but now it seems a lot more tame, although the rape scene is pretty awful. 40 years of slasher films tend to desensitize one to violence in films.

I was thinking Kwaidan or Cronos for Arthouse Day, or maybe some stroke of inspiration will hit and I'll choose something else.
Thanks for pointing out my error. I completely over-looked tomorrow's theme. Straw Dogs is close to LHOTL, but it plays more on the intensity/cruelty of the situation, not the slasher/stalking/revenge/bad-guys-in-house horror theme like Last House.
Yeah, I've got about 20 years of horror films in me, so it takes a lot to disturb me. Would the film be considered a WC type of film or is it still ok to watch as a regular horror film? If it's a WC film, I could wait until November to watch it. Just curious as to what others think it falls under.
Old 10-10-12, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I've got about 20 years of horror films in me, so it takes a lot to disturb me. Would the film be considered a WC type of film or is it still ok to watch as a regular horror film? If it's a WC film, I could wait until November to watch it. Just curious as to what others think it falls under.
I would call it fine to count, but again, this is where some "Thriller" cards would come in handy. Thrillers are kin to horror for sure, I'd have no problem with counting it. But again, I personally am still struggling with whether or not to count Cape Fear as a WC.

I really think some thrillers are so close it'd be more than fine to count. We've had in depth discussions on horror vs thriller, but I don't remember what the final outcome was.
Old 10-10-12, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would call it fine to count, but again, this is where some "Thriller" cards would come in handy. Thrillers are kin to horror for sure, I'd have no problem with counting it. But again, I personally am still struggling with whether or not to count Cape Fear as a WC.

I really think some thrillers are so close it'd be more than fine to count. We've had in depth discussions on horror vs thriller, but I don't remember what the final outcome was.

Yeah, thriller and horror are really connected at times. Heck, some thrillers are a lot more scarier than horror films for the jumps and turns they do. Personally, it's a lot easier to get lost into a thriller movies than just some random slasher movie.
Old 10-10-12, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Screwadu
What, no love for Creature from the Haunted Sea? Next year I'm picking From Hell It Came, that will show you. That will show you ALL.
Didnt think about matching it for theme day, but I watchd Creature From haunted Sea.
Old 10-10-12, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mightysparks
Just watched my 100th film! It was Lie Still and was pretty crap, unfortunately...

But, still, 100! Woo!
Woohoo. Congrats. At the rate I'm going I'll be luckyy to break 100 during the whole challenge, but being down with bronchitis all month has certainly put a damper on my movie watching.
Old 10-10-12, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Woohoo. Congrats. At the rate I'm going I'll be luckyy to break 100 during the whole challenge, but being down with bronchitis all month has certainly put a damper on my movie watching.
Why? If you're home, just put on movies while you recover.
Old 10-10-12, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Gobear
Why? If you're home, just put on movies while you recover.
Medicated, keeps me asleep most of the time.
Old 10-10-12, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ah. Well, get better soon!

Tomorrow might be a giallo day, since I figure anything with subtitles would count for arthouse. Then again, to check off the Paco Plaza box, I might have to find [REC]³ Génesis online. I definitely want to hit the foreign films hard.
Old 10-10-12, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Just finished the 2011 A Chinese Ghost Story remake. Is it as good as the original. No, but it's at least as good as any of the sequels.
Old 10-10-12, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Same with me, though, luckily my over the counter stuff hasn't made me too sleepy. I've actually been able to watch more movies since being sick as I can't go to the gym or volunteer anywhere.
Old 10-10-12, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

My friend just bought his first house. It's an old townhouse (duplex actually since it only connects to one other home) and its small but the possibilities of filming no-budget horror shorts in it and its backyard which has a creepy yardhouse/shed/greenhouse type thing are endless. We had such a blast just coming up with stupid ideas today while I was helping him get it closer to ready to move furniture in.

Now I'm being driven crazy by my ear hurting (I think it is an ear infection) and watching the original Toolbox Murders for the first time.
Old 10-10-12, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Same with me, though, luckily my over the counter stuff hasn't made me too sleepy. I've actually been able to watch more movies since being sick as I can't go to the gym or volunteer anywhere.
That's good at least, my stuff is prescriptions from my dr.
Old 10-10-12, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Watching The Wasp Woman from the MC Sci Fi Classics set right now. Plus I ordered some dvds today off of Amazon, the box set of Resident Evil 1-3, A 4 movie set of Universal monster movies, Dracula, Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein, and Creature From the Black Lagoon, plus the MC Horror Classics 50 movie set. Thinking of picking up Halloween III, and Pumpkinhead as well.
Old 10-10-12, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just a friendly reminder that having your list linked in your signature really helps the over-all flow of our discussion. If you mention watching something in particular, or you achieve a certain list number, your sig can make your list immediately accessible for our enjoyment (or critical review, for some ).
Old 10-10-12, 08:31 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Just opened by Universal Monsters BD set and started the 3D version of Creature from the Black Lagoon. It's beautiful.
Old 10-10-12, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mightysparks
Just watched my 100th film! It was Lie Still and was pretty crap, unfortunately...
You can combine those two Dexter episodes to make one entry number… as if you need more numbers. I saw you have them listed as "#" so wanted to make sure you got credit.

Originally Posted by Chad
Spoiler:

Concerning TV shows and shorts films:

Like the other challenges, you need four 30 minute shows for 1 entry and two hour-long shows for 1 entry. 30 minute shows typically run roughly 22 - 24 minutes without commercials and hour-long shows are roughly 43 - 45 minutes. If it's short films that are 10 minutes or less, once you hit around 23 minutes of watching them, you've reached one 30 minute show (¼ an entry). Any combination that gets you to 90 minutes can be used for 1 entry. And this is not an exact science, so if you're off by a little it's really no big deal.

When listing the TV shows try to keep them together in 1 entry.
Example: 30 min show/30 min show/30 min show/30 min show

For the sake of organization, it's advised that you keep a Temporary TV section at the bottom of your list until you get enough for an entry.

Why 90 minutes? To keep the continuity going with the other challenges.

Old 10-10-12, 08:57 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's the link to my 2010 list when I was insane and did it. http://forum.dvdtalk.com/10378748-post12.html

You'd have to add the 2011 and 2012 stuff. Somebody said they were going to do it this year but I forget who.

It was me! Trevor might have to double check my ratings!

Spoiler:
Watch a film starring:
--- John Agar-
--- Tom Atkins-
--- Reggie Bannister-
--- Michelle Bauer-
--- Michael Berryman-
--- Angela Bettis-
--- Doug Bradley-
--- Raine Brown-
--- Bruce Campbell-
--- John Carradine-
--- Lon Chaney Sr.-
--- Lon Chaney Jr.-
--- Hazel Court-
--- Barbara Crampton-
--- Joan Crawford-
--- Jamie Lee Curtis-
--- Peter Cushing-
--- Keith David-
--- Brad Dourif-
--- Robert Englund-
--- Ken Foree-
--- Michael Gough-
--- Sid Haig-
--- Danielle Harris-
--- Lance Henriksen-
--- Kane Hodder-
--- Clint Howard-
--- Boris Karloff-
--- Udo Kier-
--- Klaus Kinski-
--- Christopher Lee-
--- Peter Lorre-
--- Bela Lugosi-
--- “Coffin Joe” Jose Marins-
--- Dick Miller-
--- Bill Moseley-
--- Caroline Munro-
--- Paul Naschy-
--- Ron Perlman-
--- Donald Pleasence-
--- Vincent Price-
--- Linnea Quigley-
--- Ted Raimi-
--- Basil Rathbone-
--- Oliver Reed-
--- Debbie Rochon-
--- Lina Romay-
--- John Saxon-
--- Barbara Shelley-
--- Barbara Steele-
--- Glenn Strange-
--- Tony Todd-
--- Danny Trejo-
--- Max Von Sydow-
--- David Warner-

Watch a film composed by:
--- James Bernard-
--- Simon Boswell-
--- Pino Donaggio-
--- Bernard Herrmann-
--- Ennio Morricone-

Watch a film directed by:
--- Uwe Boll-
--- John Carpenter-
--- David Cronenberg-
--- Brian DePalma-
--- Terrence Fisher-
--- Riccardo Freda-
--- Frank Henenlotter-
--- Kazuo Komizu-
--- Herschell Gordon Lewis-
--- Ulli Lommel-
--- Sergio Martino -
--- Amando de Ossorio-
--- Paco Plaza-
--- Roman Polanski-
--- Fred Olen Ray-
--- Jean Rollin-
--- George A. Romero-
--- Takashi Shimizu-
--- Jacques Tourneur-
--- Ti West-
--- James Whale-

Watch a film with make-up effects by:
--- Rick Baker-
--- KNB-
--- Germano Natali-
--- Carlo Rambaldi-
--- Tom Savini-
--- Dick Smith-

Watch a film written by:
--- Jimmy Sangster-

Watch a film in each of the following sub-genres / types:
--- *3-D Film-
--- Animated Film-
--- Anthology Film-
--- Appears on BFI's 100 European Horror Films List-
--- Appears on Video Nasties List-
--- Based on a Novel-
--- Based on a Video Game-
--- Called “Attack of...”-
--- Called “Day of...”-
--- Called “Night of...”-
--- Called “Return of...”-
--- Called “Revenge of...”-
--- Cannibalism
--- Cinematic Titanic/Horror Host/MST3K/RiffTrax-
--- Comedy/Spoof-
--- Distributor/Studio: Blue Underground-
--- Distributor/Studio: Criterion Collection-
--- Distributor/Studio: Synapse-
--- Documentary-
--- Extraterrestrial-
--- Film...-
--- ...Sequel...-
--- ...and another Sequel-
--- Film...-
--- ...and it's Remake-
--- Found Footage-
--- Frankenstein-
--- Ghost/Haunting-
--- Giallo-
--- Horror Host (Any)-
--- Horror Host (Elvira)-
--- Invisible Man-
--- J-Horror-
--- Killer/Evil Animal-
--- Killer/Evil Child-
--- Killer/Evil Doll-
--- Make for TV Movie-
--- Monster/Creature Feature/Godzilla-
--- Mummy-
--- Musical/Rock 'n Roll Horror-
--- Nazi-
--- Psychological-
--- Rape/Revenge-
--- Silent-
--- Slasher/Psycho/Homicidal Maniac-
--- Takes Place in Space-
--- Takes Place on a Holiday-
--- Takes Place on or under the Sea-
--- Vampire-
--- Werewolf-
--- Witchcraft/Satanic/Religious-
--- With Commentary-
--- With the Words “Living Dead” in the Title-
--- Won an Academy Award (any category)-
--- Zombie-

Watch films in at least three formats (Blu-ray, DVD, streaming, etc.):
--- First Format, (insert format), (insert title).
--- Second Format, (insert format), (insert title).
--- Third Format, (insert format), (insert title).

Watch films in at least three languages:
--- First Language, (insert language), (insert title).
--- Second Language, (insert language), (insert title).
--- Third Language, (insert language), (insert title).

Watch one film from every decade of film history:
--- 1890-
--- 1900-
--- 1910-
--- 1920-
--- 1930-
--- 1940-
--- 1950-
--- 1960-
--- 1970-
--- 1980-
--- 1990-
--- 2000-
--- 2010-

Watch a film for each rating:
--- Unrated (Pre-1968)-*
--- Approved-
--- G-
--- M-
--- GP-
--- PG-
--- PG-13-
--- R-
--- NC-17-
--- X-
--- Unrated-

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.