Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-12, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

I didn't get quite as much done with the checklist this weekend as I had hoped, but I'm getting a big one out of the way now. I'm watching Little Shop of Horrors for today's theme as well as for the all-important musical item on the checklist. It's on HDNet Movies now.
Old 10-08-12, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

What are you all using for the Max Von Sydow checklist item? The guy hasn't been in many horror movies and most of them I've seen. This is a major thorn in my side right now haha
Old 10-08-12, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 378 Likes on 236 Posts

With the recent talk about Redbox, you may want to note the code BIRTHDAY is a freebie for Wednesday, October 10th.
Old 10-08-12, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

Hitting the 1/3rd mark with some classic cinema. Friday The 13th Part VI: Jason Lives. The beginning of supernatural Jason.
Old 10-08-12, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by SethDLH
What are you all using for the Max Von Sydow checklist item? The guy hasn't been in many horror movies and most of them I've seen. This is a major thorn in my side right now haha
I was figuring I would probably do The Exorcist. I know it's the boring and obvious choice, but I figured I would maybe listen to an audio commentary. It would also be good for the Rick Baker item that I am still lacking.

If not that one, then I will likely revisit Dreamscape since it's streaming on Netflix. I remember really liking that movie when I was young, but I haven't seen it since then, so I can't comment on how well it holds up.
Old 10-08-12, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by clckworang
I was figuring I would probably do The Exorcist. I know it's the boring and obvious choice, but I figured I would maybe listen to an audio commentary. It would also be good for the Rick Baker item that I am still lacking.

If not that one, then I will likely revisit Dreamscape since it's streaming on Netflix. I remember really liking that movie when I was young, but I haven't seen it since then, so I can't comment on how well it holds up.
Hmm, I do need a commentary listen too, maybe I'll steal your idea and do that.
Old 10-08-12, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just finished Daybreakers (2009) and have to say it's much better than I expected. Based on what I had heard, I went in thinking I wouldn't like it, but it's a unique vampire story that I really enjoyed.
Old 10-08-12, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

^Just for the record, the Max Von Sydow entry slipped by me somehow. I've never included someone with such a limited horror filmography on the checklist without pairing them up with someone else. And nobody brought that up until now, so there you go.
Old 10-08-12, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
I agree that the original I Spit On Your Grave does not live up to it's reputation as an exploitative nasty. When I first saw it I kept expecting something horrifying that would make dogs bark when I walked by or my image disappear from mirrors but I think for casual viewers the themes alone are disturbing.
I watched the original last week for the first time for the theme night and really enjoyed it; however, I would agree that there's nothing really horrific about it. In fact, I felt a little guilty putting it on my list because I didn't consider it to be a horror film.

I getting ready to watch the remake tonight for theme night.
Old 10-08-12, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Chad
^Just for the record, the Max Von Sydow entry slipped by me somehow. I've never included someone with such a limited horror filmography on the checklist without pairing them up with someone else. And nobody brought that up until now, so there you go.
I did think it was a curious one to have alone, but believe it or not, I actually don't like to cause a big stink about these kinds of things. Considering his longevity, I'm surprised he doesn't have more horror movies in his career.

Hmm, I do need a commentary listen too, maybe I'll steal your idea and do that.
It was my original plan to use The Exorcist for audio commentary, but I used Return of the Living Dead yesterday instead. That's why I'm waffling over still watching it.
Old 10-08-12, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a few movies at home but I've seen them all. I took the easy way out and watched Dreamquest during lunch, since as others pointed out, it's streaming on Netflix.
Old 10-08-12, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Just caught my favorite Karloff/Lugosi pairing - The Black Cat. And just realized it uses music from the Flash Gordon serial as the theme. But no, Flash recycled the music from it:

The remainder of the musical score is recycled from classical compositions, or the scores of other Universal films, including The Invisible Man, The Black Cat and Werewolf of London.

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
Been wanting to watch this for a while. Is it worth a buy? I can't find another way to watch it other than physical purchase. 
I'd say so. Although not much in the way of supplemental material other than a trailer and extended US cut that runs 12 minutes longer. I caught the UK version.

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Hitting the 1/3rd mark with some classic cinema. Friday The 13th Part VI: Jason Lives. The beginning of supernatural Jason.
Pros: Alice Cooper song. Jason's looking pretty badass.
Cons: Scored a 0 on Joe Bob Brigg's breast count. And that's especially disparaging after what we got in part 5.

Originally Posted by jmsmath
Just finished Daybreakers (2009) and have to say it's much better than I expected. Based on what I had heard, I went in thinking I wouldn't like it, but it's a unique vampire story that I really enjoyed.
My favorite horror film of 2009.
Old 10-08-12, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Plan on using Exorcist II for von Sydow, since I've still not watched the damned thing.
Old 10-08-12, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

...the Max Von Sydow entry slipped by me somehow. I've never included someone with such a limited horror filmography on the checklist without pairing them up with someone else...
Curses! Quick, pair Max Von Sydow up with someone (like Gabriel Byrne) before I am subjected to Exorcist II, or Dreamscape (which seems un-horror-like)! [Worth a try]
Originally Posted by jmsmath
[I Spit On Your Grave]...there's nothing really horrific about it. In fact, I felt a little guilty putting it on my list because I didn't consider it to be a horror film...
This is a good point about many rape/revenge movies. In a sense they're not traditional horror but often rape/revenge movies are body count flicks or feature psychological elements suited to horror. Initially I struggled with counting rape/revenge as horror too but I can see the connection. I just can't decide what came first... rape/revenge films or slasher movies? Maybe slasher movies with characters driven by rape revenge?
Old 10-08-12, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Curses! Quick, pair Max Von Sydow up with someone (like Gabriel Byrne) before I am subjected to Exorcist II, or Dreamscape (which seems un-horror-like)!
Max is also in:
Needful Things
The Night Visitor
Old 10-08-12, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just caught my favorite Karloff/Lugosi pairing - The Black Cat.
Fantastic set design in that one. Plus, one of my favorite lines: "Even the phone is dead."
Old 10-08-12, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Have you seen Hour of the Wolf? Ingmar Bergman's only horror film, quite surreal, and you can use it for the arthouse theme night. It's available to stream from Netflix.

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
A great entry in the Friday the 13th franchise. It's got plenty of comic relief, although the violence was edited down too much.
Old 10-08-12, 07:31 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

It was also quite cruel of you to include a couple/few actresses with filmographies limited to quite narrow ranges of fringe cinema. I'm finding several items in the checklist where I don't own anything that qualifies.

I'm trying not to have to pay for Netflix again, so I'm scouring Amazon Video and youtube for qualifiers. I even hit the local used video store today and searched. Didn't find any obscure horror unfortunately, but I did find three of the subset films that don't stream to rent.
Old 10-08-12, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Have you seen Hour of the Wolf? Ingmar Bergman's only horror film, quite surreal, and you can use it for the arthouse theme night. It's available to stream from Netflix.
I love Bergman and Hour of the Wolf is among his best. I just don't want to revisit it this month.
Old 10-08-12, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by indiephantom
Plan on using Exorcist II for von Sydow, since I've still not watched the damned thing.
I watched it yesterday for the first time in years (I've seen it four or five times over the last 35 years) and was very glad I did. It was the best viewing experience I've had so far in this Challenge.
Old 10-08-12, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Babaseball postseason and sunday and monday football have been slowing me down lately. Besides the fact that I am a Yankees fan, postseason is trhe only time I follow baseball with any regularity. I guess this means I need to step up my game if I hope to make 100.
Old 10-08-12, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I love Bergman and Hour of the Wolf is among his best. I just don't want to revisit it this month.
I'm in the same boat. I watched Hour of the Wolf last year and am not really in the mood. I'm having to use quite a few discs from Netflix for the daily subset, so I know I have a very limited number of disc rentals that I will be able to spare for the checklist. I just don't think I can use one for Sydow. Speaking of the daily subset, it worries me that The Pyx keeps showing as short wait in my queue ... On the plus side, the Blu-ray for The Cabin in the Woods is on its way to me.
Old 10-08-12, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

A bit behind, since I took a lot of much needed time to hangout with some of my closest friends.

Going to try to catch up this week!
Old 10-08-12, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anyone have any thoughts on their personal preference of which cut of Curse/Night Of The Demon they prefer? I've seen bits and pieces of the film but have no idea what the difference between the 2 cuts is besides runtime.
Old 10-08-12, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Babaseball postseason and sunday and monday football have been slowing me down lately. Besides the fact that I am a Yankees fan, postseason is trhe only time I follow baseball with any regularity. I guess this means I need to step up my game if I hope to make 100.

With the Giants sucking as much as they have, guess I'll be done with baseball sooner than I thought.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.