Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-12, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Thanks for the Suspiria suggestion, all. Just checked it out and it's my favorite new watch of the challenge thus far!

Unfortunately the DVD I watched was kinda crappy with the image condensed within the screen of my TV (think it's called "non-anamorphic?) and the sound didn't exactly seem to be synching with lips moving all the time.

Hoping for a slower day at work tomorrow so I can check out some people's lists in more detail.

Last edited by gp1086; 10-10-12 at 01:06 AM.
Old 10-10-12, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Pee Wee needs to do more horror films. His parts in Buffy and The Tripper make the films.
Old 10-10-12, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just finished the checklist with 32 films and did it in a little over half the time I did it last year. Now comes the part where I waste a bunch of time because I can't make up my mind on what to watch.
Old 10-10-12, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Regarding the NC-17/X requirement on checklists, do you need to watch the movie in its NC-17/X rated format or can it be one that was an NC-17/X, but you watch an edited R-rated version?
Old 10-10-12, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Also, what are some of your favorite horror commentary tracks? I've been watching the Scream ones with Wes Craven, but looking for other suggestions as well.
Old 10-10-12, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Can anyone clarify the arthouse horror theme for me? I understand experimental or literary works would count, but is there a better more detailed way of determining eligibility? Movies like The Orphanage or The Descent are listed in example links but I never considered those to be arthouse; maybe my understanding of "arthouse" is inaccurate.
Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I just finished the checklist with 32 films and did it in a little over half the time I did it last year...
Congratulations! I have since pilfered a few ideas off your checklist.
Originally Posted by gp1086
Regarding the NC-17/X requirement on checklists, do you need to watch the movie in its NC-17/X rated format or can it be one that was an NC-17/X, but you watch an edited R-rated version?
...but hypothetically why would you settle for an edited R-rated version? That seems un-horror-challenge-like.
Originally Posted by SethDLH
TLG [The Loreley's Grasp] is really underrated. And Humanoids rules so hard.
The Loreley's Grasp was fun in a cheap 1970s Spanish b-movie sort of way. I loved the point of view creature shots of webbed hands sneaking up on victims.
Originally Posted by jacob_b
I'd save my money for something other than Frankenweenie. That thing put me to sleep.
Shame, the original Frankenweenie short was entertaining and since Paranorman disappeared from theaters so quick I'll likely also resort to Frankenweenie as a diversion for the kids.
Also, what are some of your favorite horror commentary tracks? I've been watching the Scream ones with Wes Craven, but looking for other suggestions as well.
Joe Bob Briggs on I Spit on Your Grave is illuminating. Apparently The Thing commentary track is good as is Evil Dead (DVD Evil Dead has a different reportedly better track than the blu-ray).

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-10-12 at 01:50 AM.
Old 10-10-12, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
...but hypothetically why would you settle for an edited R-rated version? That seems un-horror-challenge-like.
Haha - I wouldn't. Just asking for sake of it.

Joe Bob Briggs on I Spit on Your Grave is illuminating. Apparently The Thing commentary track is good as is Evil Dead (DVD Evil Dead has a different reportedly better track than the blu-ray).
Thanks. I'll need to check out I Spit On Your Grave beforehand, but can look at The Thing or Evil Dead.
Old 10-10-12, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I got a Roger Corman Drive-In Collection 10 movie pack. Was wondering which films are a must watch and if any can be used for today's challenge:

Attack of the Giant Leeches
The Wasp Woman
Creature from the Haunted Sea
A Bucket of Blood
Last Woman on Earth
The Little Shop of Horrors
The Terror
Dementia 13
She Gods of Shark Reef
Swamp Women
Old 10-10-12, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

My sleep is all out of whack, so I decided to finally start with this year's challenge. I picked the 1932 Universal production of The Mummy. Here's my review, as shared on Letterboxd:

SPOILER ALERT FOR ANYONE READING EMAILS
Spoiler:
With my beloved Cincinnati Reds actually in the MLB playoffs this year, I haven't had much free time so far for this year's DVD Talk Horror Challenge so I decided while struggling with insomnia tonight to dabble with some of the old Universal Monsters. I've seen all of the Dracula, Frankenstein and Wolf Man pictures, so it was time for something new (so to speak): The Mummy.

I accepted going into the film that it was going to present fake-Egyptology, and that's fine with me. The sets and costumes weren't terribly authentic but they looked good and that's all that I needed from them in a picture like this. Karloff's makeup was superb, and I found myself marveling at how impressive that was every time the camera closed in on him.

I found myself, of course, conjuring memories of his iconic performances as Frankenstein's Monster. He's mute in Frankenstein and only growls a handful of stilted words in Bride of Frankenstein. I found it fascinating (even a bit startling) to hear him speak more normally here, forgetting that I've seen him in other speaking roles. It wasn't until more than halfway through the film that I caught an inflection that reminded me of his narration of the animated TV special, How the Grinch Stole Christmas!

Unfortunately, though, I wasn't really wowed by the film. Part of it, of course, is that the resurrected-long-lost-love story involving a modern woman embodying the displaced soul of someone else just doesn't feel very well developed here. I can't even give it a pass on the basis that so many of the other films I've seen with that premise were made after it. After all, Universal's own production of Dracula was made just one year earlier than The Mummy and it handled a variation on the theme much more solidly.

That's really the biggest problem with The Mummy: Dracula told a comparable story, and it told it better. This point is underscored by the presence of character actor Edward Van Sloan. He thwarted Dracula as Van Helsing, and appears here as Dr. Muller, an expert on Egyptian occultist mythology. It feels as though Van Sloan's very presence is a shorthand, used to get us to just accept that Muller knows things about Imhotep's scheme. (Seriously, how does he find Frank on the floor and discern from this that Imhotep is going to kill and resurrect Helen?)

That wasn't even the most egregious sloppiness of the film. That has to be everything about Frank. Here's a guy who's an experienced archaeologist who followed in his father's footsteps all the way back to Cairo, but then needs to be spoon fed everything there is to know about Egypt? I can accept to a point that his intense attraction to Helen was part of the spell or whatever controlling her, but he scarcely registers that his father has been murdered because he's too busy professing his love to her? I just didn't buy anything about the guy.

It's funny, in a way, because we're so used to discussing one-dimensional "damsels in distress" characters, but here's a prime example of a rarely discussed male counterpart. How many times have we seen a protagonist so innocent he's naive, whose sole purpose is to represent the redemption of said damsel? Frank brings absolutely nothing to this story, or to Helen, except to be her consolation prize at the end of the film.

The Mummy entered my Flickchart at #1289/1433

The Mummy Qualifying Checks
-X- Sub-genre/Type (Mummy)
-X- Format (I streamed on Netflix Watch Instantly, but obviously this is available on nearly any format)
-X- 1930s (1932)
-X- Rating (Unrated)
Old 10-10-12, 07:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mum & Dad was pretty awesome. Weird stuff, but the characters were all so much fun.

Last edited by mightysparks; 10-10-12 at 09:08 AM.
Old 10-10-12, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I got a Roger Corman Drive-In Collection 10 movie pack. Was wondering which films are a must watch and if any can be used for today's challenge:

The Wasp Woman
A Bucket of Blood
Last Woman on Earth
The Terror
Dementia 13
She Gods of Shark Reef
Swamp Women

I may be wrong, but I think all but She Gods of Shark Reef, and Swamp Women have horror tags on imdb.
Old 10-10-12, 07:55 AM

IMO, you can never go wrong with a John Carpenter commentary. He's always entertaining and informative on his commentaries. The ones with Kurt Russell are some of the best commentaries I've listened to.
Old 10-10-12, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,075 Likes on 650 Posts

Guys, want to watch a movie with tons of ridiculous sounding, house rattling bass, jump scene after jump scene, with no storyline or worthwhile characters at all? Then I give you The Strangers (2008). What a crummy movie.

It appears the only thing the writer and director were looking for on this film was to try to make you jump every 2 minutes (which gets extremely tedious) and wanted to make a movie where they could work out their subwoofer with asinine amounts of bass at illogical times. They forgot that a decent story might actually per pertinent. I was really disappointed in this one since I thought it might have good potential.
Old 10-10-12, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just made some chili in the crockpot and finished TCM...now on to TCM2, LEATHERFACE, and TCM: THE NEXT GENERATION!
Old 10-10-12, 09:37 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I just finished the checklist with 32 films and did it in a little over half the time I did it last year. Now comes the part where I waste a bunch of time because I can't make up my mind on what to watch.
Congrats! But have you completed the Alphabet and Continent checklists?
Old 10-10-12, 09:45 AM

Just watched my 100th film! It was Lie Still and was pretty crap, unfortunately...

But, still, 100! Woo!
Old 10-10-12, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Ohh, cheesy rubber monsters. I love this category.

Here's one for you all: Invasion of the Saucer Men (1957)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUWfI_QndtA
Old 10-10-12, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by mightysparks
Just watched my 100th film! It was Lie Still and was pretty crap, unfortunately...

But, still, 100! Woo!
Holy crap, dude!
100 in 9 days might be a record. That's an average of 11 flicks a day!

You, sir, are a powerhouse! Congrats!

Oh, did notice that your list says today s the 11th. Unsure where in the world your located but I think it's still the 10th. Had to double check though.

Last edited by ViewAskewbian; 10-10-12 at 09:58 AM.
Old 10-10-12, 10:00 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
Holy crap, dude!
100 in 9 days might be a record. That's an average of 11 flicks a day!

You, sir, are a powerhouse! Congrats!

Oh, did notice that your list says today s the 11th. Unsure where in the world your located but I think it's still the 10th. Had to double check though.
He's 12+ hours ahead of us due to time zone magic fairies. Plus with the bonus time we're all on day 11 sorta....

Congrats Mightysparks, but get some sleep!
Old 10-10-12, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Suspiria is one of my favorite horror movies. I love the bright colors that Argento uses, very atypical of the genre. The score from Goblin also escalates the movie, just classic. I was delighted to revisit this movie over the weekend.

I also watched Scanners, does anybody think I should use a wildcard for that, or does it qualify as horror? I figured it'd be an obvious choice for the exploding head challenge, but I watched Touch of Death(the subset film) too just in case.

I watched John Carpenter's The Fog for the first time, and ... it was okay. I fell asleep and had to finish it the next day, it was a bit slow, which I don't mind; but I'm not sure if the payoff was really there. It did have a creepy atmosphere, and I liked the music. I also have to say that I love the way the ghosts were shot in the fog, as silhouettes.

I also watched Piranha for the remake challenge and that was fairly entertaining. There was certainly some nice eye candy and make-up effects. The CGI was spotty at times, and let's face it, the film is just completely absurd. As far as horror comedies go, it has nothing on Return of the Living Dead, but it was a fun 90 minutes. I really enjoyed Jerry O'Connell as a Joe Francis Girls Gone Wild type.
Old 10-10-12, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Trevor
He's 12+ hours ahead of us due to time zone magic fairies. Plus with the bonus time we're all on day 11 sorta....

Congrats Mightysparks, but get some sleep!
She :P Yeah, it's still the 10th right now.. for the next hour. And I've been getting a decent 7 hours sleep every night actually
Old 10-10-12, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've listened to the ones that Wes did for New Nightmare and the original NOES and those were good.

Jack-O has an awesome one, just because Fred Olen Ray is getting under the skin of the director the entire time by just being honest about the film. He's not saying, "this shit sucks", or anything. It's just pointing out minor things and the director getting all defensive and leaving at one point.

Can anyone clarify the arthouse horror theme for me? I understand experimental or literary works would count, but is there a better more detailed way of determining eligibility? Movies like The Orphanage or The Descent are listed in example links but I never considered those to be arthouse; maybe my understanding of "arthouse" is inaccurate.
Yeah, I've seen The Descent and I don't see that being arthouse either. I think more of things like Naked Lunch, Hour of the Wolf, and Santa Sangre.

This seems to be on the right track
http://www.rockshockpop.com/forums/s...e-Horror-films

Congratulations! I have since pilfered a few ideas off your checklist.
Cool. Glad to help out and now I'm curious about what you've done.

Originally Posted by Trevor
Congrats! But have you completed the Alphabet and Continent checklists?
I haven't but maybe I should start. For continents, I'd just be missing 3, Africa, Australia, and Antarctica. I have a couple of ones from South Africa off the top of my head and the other two are easy enough.
Old 10-10-12, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Guys, want to watch a movie with tons of ridiculous sounding, house rattling bass, jump scene after jump scene, with no storyline or worthwhile characters at all? Then I give you The Strangers (2008). What a crummy movie.

It appears the only thing the writer and director were looking for on this film was to try to make you jump every 2 minutes (which gets extremely tedious) and wanted to make a movie where they could work out their subwoofer with asinine amounts of bass at illogical times. They forgot that a decent story might actually per pertinent. I was really disappointed in this one since I thought it might have good potential.

You have no idea how disappointed I was in the theaters with this film. It looked amazing in the trailers and had potential, but just bottomed out. There was no substance and it was just...there.
Old 10-10-12, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

The Wasp Woman
A Bucket of Blood
Last Woman on Earth

The Terror
Dementia 13
She Gods of Shark Reef
Swamp Women
I bolded the "must-watch" ones.
The next tier would be Wasp Woman, The Terror and Dementia 13.
I would avoid She Gods of Shark Reef.
I've never seen Swamp Women.
Old 10-10-12, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd

It was also kind of a ripoff of the French horror film Ils(Them) which wasn't that great to begin with, but I do prefer it to The Strangers.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.