Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-12, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Watched The Cabin in the Woods for the second time last night. I think the first 2/3 is mostly solid, but it does fall into the Pit of Exposition in the last 1/3. And despite being self-aware, the characters still make a lot of dumb choices. Jenkins and Whitford are really what makes the film.
Old 10-05-12, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by Gobear
Well, maybe if we reframe it as the tale of a tragic creature--half man, half spider--having to hide by night as it scurries through the city, traveling by spinning webs from building to building as it seeks its unholy prey.
That's what it seems it's been turning into, with things that clearly aren't horror. We could easily make The Smurfs and Snow White into instant terror classics by wording it right. The thing is, the actual product isn't designed to induce terror or fright, no matter how you spin it.

Originally Posted by Jediturtle
I found myself sorely disappointed in Ghoulies. I usually love cheesy '80s horror, but found it to be slow moving (in a boring way, not a good "slow burn" way) and it seemed to take itself too seriously for this type of movie. I liked the little monsters, but they didn't cause nearly as much trouble as I expected them too. The DVD I have also has part 2 on the flip side...is it worth watching or is it just more of the same? I do like the sound of them raising hell at a carnival, but don't want to waste valuable viewing time if it isn't any more fun than the first. Thoughts?
You might like the rest of the series better. I liked the monsters of the first one but the story was just so boring. I have a better time with the rest of them, no matter how absurd they get.
Old 10-05-12, 11:04 AM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Watched The Cabin in the Woods for the second time last night. I think the first 2/3 is mostly solid, but it does fall into the Pit of Exposition in the last 1/3. And despite being self-aware, the characters still make a lot of dumb choices. Jenkins and Whitford are really what makes the film.
I think you may have missed something here about the characters making dumb choices.

Spoiler:
These people were, for the most part, pretty smart kids, and they were merely reduced to the base of the characters they were supposed to represent by Jenkins and Whitford. A great example of this is when they Chris Hemsworth's character says something along the lines of "We have to stay together," then seconds later, once the gas is released, doubles back saying that that plan was a mistake, and that they should split up instead, which everyone (except Marty) agrees to, despite first agreeing to not split up. The only reason Marty was exempt from the decisions made by other characters is that the weed he was smoking was rendering the gases used on the others ineffectual on him. The characters in the cabin each had a role to play, and it was up to Jenkins and Whitford to make sure they go along with their roles, despite any past characteristics before entering the house. Because of this, this movie isn't just a send up of horror movies, but of the audience as well.
Old 10-05-12, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I just re-watched Dawn of the Dead and for whatever reason it made me think to look up the ultimate edition boxset even thought I have no desire to own it (got the anchor bay blu and Italian cut on dvd, I'm good with that since I've seen the others) and I can't believe how low the price on it has dropped! It's well under $10
Old 10-05-12, 11:08 AM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
That's what it seems it's been turning into, with things that clearly aren't horror. We could easily make The Smurfs and Snow White into instant terror classics by wording it right. The thing is, the actual product isn't designed to induce terror or fright, no matter how you spin it.
Exactly. I guess I am just confused as to why, with so many horror movies out there, people try to shoehorn other things into the category. And I would assume anyone entering this challenge is interested in marathoning movies that are generally accepted to be horror or Halloween-related. If that's picky, well, so be it.
Old 10-05-12, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Can anyone tell me if either The Burning Moon (from Germany) or The Theatre Bizzare has an exploding head scene? I'm trying to figure out what I want to fulfill that theme tomorrow.
Old 10-05-12, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Yeah, I know, just trying to inject a little levity. Well, I don't care if other people don't know what horror movies are supposed to be; I am watching good old-fashioned nightmare fuel; bloody, gut-munching monster films.

Horror induces fear and dread in the viewer; and even the old Universal classics are still spooky, if not actually frightening to anyone more than 5 years old.

[old guy rant] When I was a kid going out to trick or treat in the early 70s, in successive years I dressed up like Satan, a vampire, a ghost. We didn't wear superhero masks or dress up like ballerinas because we knew Halloween is supposed to be scary. And our parents let us go out by ourselves and knock on doors in our neighborhood instead of helicoptering over us and robbing us of our first taste of independence.

Halloween and horror films are a way to inoculate us against the fear of death and to help us accept its cold inevitability. But an unholy coalition of religious fundamentalists who think horror movies are real and Mommy-knows-best types who want to rub the rough edges off life and keep their kids tied to their apron strings forever have ruined an essential passage of childhood.[/old guy rant]

Time to watch some Hammer films, from people who knew what horror was all about!

Smurfs? Spider-Man? Here's what I say to that.

Last edited by Gobear; 10-05-12 at 11:33 AM.
Old 10-05-12, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Machete was one thing. At least that has a lot of gore and exploitation roots. Smurfs and Spider-Man are on a whole new level of get the fuck out of here.
Old 10-05-12, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was kidding about the Smurfs, of course. I would never count the Smurfs.

Not while there exists true horror.
Old 10-05-12, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cwileyy
I think you may have missed something here about the characters making dumb choices.

Spoiler:
These people were, for the most part, pretty smart kids, and they were merely reduced to the base of the characters they were supposed to represent by Jenkins and Whitford. A great example of this is when they Chris Hemsworth's character says something along the lines of "We have to stay together," then seconds later, once the gas is released, doubles back saying that that plan was a mistake, and that they should split up instead, which everyone (except Marty) agrees to, despite first agreeing to not split up. The only reason Marty was exempt from the decisions made by other characters is that the weed he was smoking was rendering the gases used on the others ineffectual on him. The characters in the cabin each had a role to play, and it was up to Jenkins and Whitford to make sure they go along with their roles, despite any past characteristics before entering the house. Because of this, this movie isn't just a send up of horror movies, but of the audience as well.
Oh no, I got all of that. I'm aware of when the film is purposely bending the will of these kids to match their intended outcomes. Maybe I shouldn't complain so much about their decisions, but more about the endless exposition. Honestly, once they get going on unraveling all of the mystery, it's like the Mummy in Monster Squad... shit just keeps rolling, and rolling, and rolling, and rolling until the credits.
Old 10-05-12, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been slacking in the movie watching department the past couple days, but wrapped up season one of American Horror Story. Really great show - not scary - just fantastic characters / story. Jessica Lange is fantastic.

Looking forward to season two in the couple of weeks.
Old 10-05-12, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Given the nature of this board, I envision I may be alone in my sentiments, but does anyone else agree that horror movies are more effective when viewed in the theater? Perhaps I just don't have a sufficient enough home entertainment setup, but something about the pitch black atmosphere, very loud/crisp sound, and large engrossing screen just makes horror films more fun for me. Also, when I'm at home, I'm distracted with my cell phone, laptop, etc. I was considering checking out the new "V/H/S" on VOD, but am really considering seeing it in the theater, as I think the experience will be better, even if it's for a few bucks more.
Old 10-05-12, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Just had 2 of my vacation days cut because there is not enough hours in the budget. Even though I put them in 2.5 months ago, way longer than anyone else.

So will really have to buckle down to make up for lost time.
Old 10-05-12, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by SethDLH
Can anyone tell me if either The Burning Moon (from Germany) or The Theatre Bizzare has an exploding head scene? I'm trying to figure out what I want to fulfill that theme tomorrow.
Theatre Bizzare does NOT have an exploding head scene, but is awesome. Rubber, a subset film, is my plan for that theme (along with youtube of Touch of Death).
Old 10-05-12, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Theatre Bizzare does NOT have an exploding head scene, but is awesome. Rubber, a subset film, is my plan for that theme (along with youtube of Touch of Death).
Thanks on Theatre Bizzare, I'll save it for sometime in the challenge. I'm almost positive The Burning Moon does so I'll just roll with that.
Old 10-05-12, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just came across my biggest "WTF" moment of the challenge so far... In Dr. Black, Mr. Hyde there is a scene where a man being run down by a car is pinned in an alley against a wall while the car charges at him and he pulls a switchblade to intimidate the car/driver
Old 10-05-12, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by gp1086
Given the nature of this board, I envision I may be alone in my sentiments, but does anyone else agree that horror movies are more effective when viewed in the theater? Perhaps I just don't have a sufficient enough home entertainment setup, but something about the pitch black atmosphere, very loud/crisp sound, and large engrossing screen just makes horror films more fun for me. Also, when I'm at home, I'm distracted with my cell phone, laptop, etc. I was considering checking out the new "V/H/S" on VOD, but am really considering seeing it in the theater, as I think the experience will be better, even if it's for a few bucks more.
No. Late night, alone, lights off, has it all over the theater. Those normal bumps, clicks, clanks, etc. become something else at that point...

Treat the home viewings as if you were at the theater. Turn off your cell phone, put the laptop away, turn off the monitor on the desktop, etc., and just watch alone in the dark.
Old 10-05-12, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
No. Late night, alone, lights off, has it all over the theater. Those normal bumps, clicks, clanks, etc. become something else at that point...

Treat the home viewings as if you were at the theater. Turn off your cell phone, put the laptop away, turn off the monitor on the desktop, etc., and just watch alone in the dark.
This is the way. I don't really get scared watching movies, every once in a while my palms get sweaty but the only time I've really felt the pressure was watching The Strangers late at night and with my neighborhood being surprisingly quiet where you can hear the wind and every little house crack etc. I don't know why but the whole idea just really affected me at the time.
Old 10-05-12, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by gp1086
JMO but I think in a theater you can sense when other people are tense. And that has an effect on you. I think it does on me anyway, and I think it can heighten tension more than when you are by yourself in a comfortable, well known surrounding. It's a group experience thing that can make it more than it might be otherwise (and probably less too, as there are plenty of jerks in theaters who kill tension with text messages, phone calls, and unnecessary talking, but I digress...)

Tops for me though is like Bob says....home. Lights out. Devices off or gone. More than once I have come up from the basement turning on a lot more lights than I actually needed to.
Old 10-05-12, 12:59 PM

So starting day five here and having a blast. Been trying to watch as many NEW films as possible. By new i mean ones i have never seen. So far so good.

Watched all 9 Hellraiser films over two of the days which i had never seen apart from 1.

Switched genres a bit and delved into zombies. It was tough to find "new" ones i had never seen. I enjoyed Dead Snow quite a bit (Norwegian) thought it was the right amount of camp and gore. Plus how can you not love Zombie Nazis.

Horror Express was very good. This film freaked me out as a young boy and it surprisingly still holds up rather well. (1974 Spanish) The only knock i have is the quality of the DVD just sucked. The sound was not very good and it seems shaky/grainy. Not sure if this is how it filmed or if just there is not a good version of this film out there. Anyone pick up the bluray that just got released? Was wondering how it looked.

The only one i truly hated so far was Edges of Darkness ..complete stupid mess of a film that was horrible acting, horrible writing and just a complete mess. I literally only finished it to put it on my list : ) 90 minutes of my life i am never getting back.

Will probably head back to Zombies and watch a few of my favorites but think i am going to expand on the "movies that freaked me out as a kid" and see if they still hold up.

So next up..The Food Of The Gods (love Nature strikes back themes) and probably the first slasher film i can remember watching Terror Train (have my doubts on this holding up after all these years)
Old 10-05-12, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
.home. Lights out. Devices off or gone. More than once I have come up from the basement turning on a lot more lights than I actually needed to.
Agree 100% the ability to completely freak yourself out is much stronger at home. How good the system is plays no part in it for me. I watch movies when in the mountains at our cabin and it has a crappy TV , no surround sound. However just being in the woods where its very dark makes horror movies SO much creepier.
Old 10-05-12, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

In the middle of watching Feed (2005)

The imagery is really creeping me out. Doesn't help that I remember seeing a show/documentary on TV about this kind of stuff.
Old 10-05-12, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SethDLH
I just came across my biggest "WTF" moment of the challenge so far...
i just watched Helldriver which is one entire WTF moment called a movie. I love these type of films so I knew what i was in store for just took me off guard since i been watching alot of classics so far so going from wolfman to helldriver left me in awe
Old 10-05-12, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link

With the right crowd, the theater experience can be a blast as well. When I saw Paranormal Activity, the crowd all jumped at the same time. Then we'd all laugh at ourselves for jumping, especially when it was a "fake scare' or something.

But I watched the sequels at home, alone at night and most of the scares were just as suspenseful.

so I guess it depends on what experience you are looking for. I usually get lucky when I go to the movies (well not "lucky" lucky...those days are long gone ). I rarely end up with a bunch of jackasses talking or on cell phones when I go.
Old 10-05-12, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by BuddhaWake
This is the way. I don't really get scared watching movies, every once in a while my palms get sweaty but the only time I've really felt the pressure was watching The Strangers late at night and with my neighborhood being surprisingly quiet where you can hear the wind and every little house crack etc. I don't know why but the whole idea just really affected me at the time.
Really, The Strangers? I saw it in theaters and was greatly disappointed. Figured there should be more too it. Guess my views on horror are just different now. Haven't really seen a movie lately to get me all scared and creeped out.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.