Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-12, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
Yesterday I saw The Amazing Spider-Man at a nice second run theater. This may count as a wild card considering how picky people can be here. But it did prominently feature a mad scientist who turns into a monster and goes on a rampage, and thus had some horror elements mixed in with the storyline.
I usually never argue with people on what is horror and what is not, but were you seriously going to put The Amazing Spider-Man as a horror film but won't because people are too picky? Might as well add every super hero movie into the horror category since each one has some element of horror to it =/
Old 10-05-12, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Just watched Pieces, which was great for the over the top anticipation of gore/sleaze and silly giallo style red herrings more than for the actual exploitation. In some ways it reminded me of Torso.

I could see counting Amazing Spider-man as a wild card, because well... that's what wild cards are for.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-05-12 at 01:24 AM.
Old 10-05-12, 01:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Just watched Pieces, which was great for the over the top anticipation of gore/sleaze and silly giallo style red herrings more than for the actual exploitation. In some ways it reminded me of Torso.
I was considering using this as my exploitation film but still not sure because in addition to this one there are several others I want to see that I haven't such as: the house on the edge of the park, maniac, henry: portrait of a serial killer, house of 1000 corpses, or funny games (1997 german one, I saw the american remake) no clue what I'll see yet. I know a lot of people have mentioned house of 1000 corpses so I'll probably check that out we'll see.
Old 10-05-12, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by arw6040
I was considering using this as my exploitation film but still not sure because in addition to this one there are several others I want to see that I haven't...
Pieces is entertaining but if you or anyone else is considering Last House on the Beach, avoid it. I am trying to convince myself to keep it going past the 20 minute mark. House of 1000 Corpses is a safe pick you should check out if you've never seen it.
Old 10-05-12, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

After all the hype V/H/S has gotten online, I was hoping for an awesome horror experience; instead, I got a few shocks, but the movie is just a collection of ideas that the anthology format could not develop fully.
Old 10-05-12, 01:50 AM

Pieces is entertaining but if you or anyone else is considering Last House on the Beach, avoid it. I am trying to convince myself to keep it going past the 20 minute mark. House of 1000 Corpses is a safe pick you should check out if you've never seen it.
Thanks for the warning, I hate movies that aren't enjoyable at all or feel like a chore to sit through. I experienced one myself today and it ruins the mood (almost makes me not want to watch anything else for the day especially when its a long one you keep hoping will get better) so here's to hoping there are no other really really bad ones this month but its all part of the experience of course. The bad one I hated today was 'yellowbrickroad' not recommended at all. I will probably watch house of 1000 corpses unless I choose to wait to see it closer to halloween.
Old 10-05-12, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Gobear
After all the hype V/H/S has gotten online, I was hoping for an awesome horror experience; instead, I got a few shocks, but the movie is just a collection of ideas that the anthology format could not develop fully.
Watched this a few weeks back and I would have to agree. There are some great moments, but a bit disappointing. Still a good watch for the challenge, though.

In other news...just a reminder to back up your lists, checklist, etc. Part of sleep deprivation caused me to inadvertently delete part of my checklist and my theme nights list. Not going to take too long to restore it in the morning, but it's a pain in the ass that could be avoided easily. Had it been my main list...well, that would have been too painful.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw out a reminder to be extra careful when editing. Time for bed now.
Old 10-05-12, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by arw6040
I was considering using this as my exploitation film but still not sure because in addition to this one there are several others I want to see that I haven't such as: the house on the edge of the park, maniac, henry: portrait of a serial killer, house of 1000 corpses, or funny games (1997 german one, I saw the american remake) no clue what I'll see yet. I know a lot of people have mentioned house of 1000 corpses so I'll probably check that out we'll see.
Def check out House of 1000 Corpses this month if you enjoy good comedy horror.
Old 10-05-12, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by jacob_b
Def check out House of 1000 Corpses this month if you enjoy good comedy horror.
Now I'm too curious not to!
Old 10-05-12, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
YOU should be banned! The Stuff rules!
Exactly!
Old 10-05-12, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Asianxcore: now watch the southpark version of COTC
Old 10-05-12, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Asianxcore: now watch the southpark version of COTC
I've never seen it but I'll add it to my things to do this weekend

Also in the spirit of this Challenge, I am going to Preston Castle this weekend with one of my close friends. It's about a 2+ hour drive from where I am and I've been wanting to go there for the last year. Tours are extremely limited between now and the end of December. Only 3 public tours left!

Old 10-05-12, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

but if you or anyone else is considering Last House on the Beach, avoid it.
Arriving from Netflix tomorrow for it's theme day.
Old 10-05-12, 04:19 AM

Is Waxwork II ok for the demonic possession/satanic theme night? It's listed here, but some of those are a bit iffy, so thought I should check.
Old 10-05-12, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by indiephantom
...In other news...just a reminder to back up your lists, checklist, etc. Part of sleep deprivation caused me to inadvertently delete part of my checklist and my theme nights list. Not going to take too long to restore it in the morning, but it's a pain in the ass that could be avoided easily. Had it been my main list...well, that would have been too painful.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw out a reminder to be extra careful when editing. Time for bed now.
You don't necessarily need to do that. The system automatically keeps a history of your edits. Click the line that says "Last edited by ..." on the bottom left of your post. It's a link to all the past edits you've made. Once there, select an "old" and a "new", scroll to the bottom and click "Compare versions". You'll be presented with a page of code showing the differences. You should then be able to retrieve any accidentally removed code with a simple copy/paste.
Old 10-05-12, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would like an opinion on Smurfs and the Magic Flute because magic has elements of horror in it. Plus they play the flute badly, which is even more horror elements. And Smurfs look creepy so even MORE horror elements. Horror elements all up in this bizzitch. It's like an unofficial animated Blind Dead sequel. Guys?
Old 10-05-12, 06:57 AM

...if you or anyone else is considering Last House on the Beach, avoid it. I am trying to convince myself to keep it going past the 20 minute mark...
Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Arriving from Netflix tomorrow for it's theme day.
Regarding Last House on the Beach... maybe my comments, actually made mid-movie, were hastily negative. There feels like a lot of filler and it takes a little while to feel horrifying due to a rushed set-up and some outdated shocks but picks up some so is not irredeemable. I'd still not recommend seeking it out (an Italian budget riff on Last House... has limited appeal to begin with) but that last third is more interesting and it has a "grindhouse" feel so I will be curious to see your impressions.
Old 10-05-12, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
You don't necessarily need to do that. The system automatically keeps a history of your edits. Click the line that says "Last edited by ..." on the bottom left of your post. It's a link to all the past edits you've made. Once there, select an "old" and a "new", scroll to the bottom and click "Compare versions". You'll be presented with a page of code showing the differences. You should then be able to retrieve any accidentally removed code with a simple copy/paste.
Oh, wow. Thanks, I'll give that a try this morning.

Edit: That saved me some serious time and effort. Much obliged, BobO'Link!!!

Last edited by indiephantom; 10-05-12 at 07:39 AM.
Old 10-05-12, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Screwadu
I would like an opinion on Smurfs and the Magic Flute because magic has elements of horror in it. Plus they play the flute badly, which is even more horror elements. And Smurfs look creepy so even MORE horror elements. Horror elements all up in this bizzitch. It's like an unofficial animated Blind Dead sequel. Guys?
Now we're just being obtuse.
Old 10-05-12, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jacob_b
I usually never argue with people on what is horror and what is not, but were you seriously going to put The Amazing Spider-Man as a horror film but won't because people are too picky? Might as well add every super hero movie into the horror category since each one has some element of horror to it =/
That's a HUGE stretch to call Spider-Man horror. But yes, that's why we have wildcards.
Old 10-05-12, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by cysiam
That's a HUGE stretch to call Spider-Man horror. But yes, that's why we have wildcards.
Well, maybe if we reframe it as the tale of a tragic creature--half man, half spider--having to hide by night as it scurries through the city, traveling by spinning webs from building to building as it seeks its unholy prey.

Last edited by Gobear; 10-05-12 at 08:37 AM.
Old 10-05-12, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Regarding Last House on the Beach... maybe my comments, actually made mid-movie, were hastily negative. There feels like a lot of filler and it takes a little while to feel horrifying due to a rushed set-up and some outdated shocks but picks up some so is not irredeemable. I'd still not recommend seeking it out (an Italian budget riff on Last House... has limited appeal to begin with) but that last third is more interesting and it has a "grindhouse" feel so I will be curious to see your impressions.
I watched LHOTB during this year's Drive-In/Exploitation challenge and thought it was okay. I'm far more partial to Night Train Murders.

Day 4 is posted! Only a couple of movies yesterday so it's a quick read. Thanks as always to anyone that checks out the blog and Facebook page. http://celluloidterror.blogspot.com/...012-day-4.html
Old 10-05-12, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found myself sorely disappointed in Ghoulies. I usually love cheesy '80s horror, but found it to be slow moving (in a boring way, not a good "slow burn" way) and it seemed to take itself too seriously for this type of movie. I liked the little monsters, but they didn't cause nearly as much trouble as I expected them too. The DVD I have also has part 2 on the flip side...is it worth watching or is it just more of the same? I do like the sound of them raising hell at a carnival, but don't want to waste valuable viewing time if it isn't any more fun than the first. Thoughts?
Old 10-05-12, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Started this grindhouse-themed day with two films that showcased nipple-slicing followed by nipple eating: The first "remake" of Last House on the Left, 2005's Chaos and then the Italian Joe D'Amato offering from 1977, Emanuelle and the Last Cannibals. And I still enjoyed my breakfast.
Old 10-05-12, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

really enjoyed Abbot and Costello meet frankenstein thought the humor mixed really well in the monster universe.

Just finished up Count Yorga which i enjoyed too as todays subset pick. not sure what im in the mood for today, i will say I been watching a nice variety of films so far this yr and havent gotten burnt out by watching so many daily, but i know im gonna slow down so i wanna get the numbers while I can...gonna make up for my lack of getting my ass off the couch by going to the gym tonight which i skipped on the last two days

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.