Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-12, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Surprises so far: Lovely Molly, The Pact, Absentia, detention, Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
Old 10-04-12, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by terrycloth
for anyone looking for a nc-17 film 100 tears is streaming on netflix and also stars raine brown
It's an entertaining movie. I may watch it again if I have time. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

If you're look for a documentary, Cropsey is on Netflix streaming. I had forgotten that the Cropsey legend was the basis for The Burning. The real life story is a lot scarier. Seeing those underground tunnels at Willowbrook Hospital made me jump.
Old 10-04-12, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Just enjoyed Tucker & Dale Vs. Evil. It's a funny, gory delight, with one of my favorite actors, Alan Tudyk.
Old 10-04-12, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gobear
Just enjoyed Tucker & Dale Vs. Evil. It's a funny, gory delight, with one of my favorite actors, Alan Tudyk.
I watched that this morning... a bit disappointed by it. Don't get me wrong, it was entertaining but some of the humor fell flat for me and I honestly had no idea annoying college kids were the "evil"

edit to add- it seems like something that will stay entertaining over multiple viewings
Old 10-04-12, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Another thumbs up for The Stuff, though I'd be hard pressed to explain why either. And then inadvertently, I chose Troll as my next film... more Michael Moriarty madness. gah
Old 10-04-12, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

I just finished The Curious Dr. Humpp. It lived up to the curious moniker. It was quite the odd movie, but I would recommend it for people who enjoy cult films.

I got sidetracked by life this evening. An old friend I hadn't talked to in a while called me, and we talked for a really long time. It turns out he might have a job lead for me. I can live with one less movie for today for a job lead.
Old 10-04-12, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Finished watching Children of The Corn (1984)

Starts off pretty damned good and then, not so much in the second half.
I'd agree and I re-watched it for this challenge. I also watched a few of the sequels and end up enjoying them as much or slightly more. I might finish up the rest of the series during the challenge, but part 2 doesn't appear to be on Netflix.

Count me in as having been really impressed with Waxwork, which I just checked out for the first time. What a fun and delightfully inventive movie! Easily the best I watched today in a pretty solid day overall. I'm excited that the sequel is available to stream in HD. I have to watch that either tonight or tomorrow.

Oh, and The Stuff rocks. One of my favorite Larry Cohen films.
Old 10-04-12, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by SethDLH
I watched that this morning... a bit disappointed by it. Don't get me wrong, it was entertaining but some of the humor fell flat for me and I honestly had no idea annoying college kids were the "evil"

edit to add- it seems like something that will stay entertaining over multiple viewings
The college kids were mostly clueless morons; Chad, though, is definitely evil.

I added this film to my "Blu-Rays I Want to Buy if I Ever Find Employment Again" list.

Last edited by Gobear; 10-04-12 at 10:39 PM.
Old 10-04-12, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by indiephantom
I'd agree and I re-watched it for this challenge. I also watched a few of the sequels and end up enjoying them as much or slightly more. I might finish up the rest of the series during the challenge, but part 2 doesn't appear to be on Netflix.
Originally Posted by Undeadcow
It's hard to believe a movie as mediocre as Children of the Corn spawned so many sequels.
I really enjoyed a lot of the ideas/visuals that were shown early on in the film. Thing is, the longer the film goes on the more the film just gets mundane.

I don't think I've seen any of the sequels.

Finished up Insidious (2010). It was my first time watching it and I felt that it would have been a much stronger film, had the plot not been so convoluted.
Old 10-04-12, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

I really enjoyed a lot of the ideas/visuals that were shown early on in the film. Thing is, the longer the film goes on the more the film just gets mundane.

I don't think I've seen any of the sequels.
I agree that there are some good ideas in Children of the Corn, but it just doesn't do too much. And then the ending ... Ugh. Every time I see it, I can't help thinking, "That's it?"
Old 10-04-12, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by clckworang
I agree that there are some good ideas in Children of the Corn, but it just doesn't do too much. And then the ending ... Ugh. Every time I see it, I can't help thinking, "That's it?"
I totally forgot about the ending! It had been years since I saw the film, so when I did watch it today, I had the same reaction as you
Old 10-04-12, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Children of the Corn is among the films that fell hardest from grace from seeing it as a kid to seeing it mid-20s
Old 10-04-12, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anyone know of any made for tv movies streaming on netflix?

today i banged out i think 8 titles and one more im finishing now but ill put it on the list for 10/5 as itll be past midnight when its over

hightlights for me today was Edge of Sanity (would that count as Psychological in the checklist?), creature from the black lagoon was also a nice break from all the vampire stuff, and Dolly Dearest i knew nothing about and i really enjoyed it. prolly the creepiest movie i seen so far, but prolly plays on the fact I find children and dolls creepy
Old 10-04-12, 11:25 PM

Just out of curiosity not sure if I plan to use this or not, but how many wildcards are there allowed this year? I didn't see anything on the main page about it just saw some discussion here that's why I was wondering. Also what qualifies as wildcards? Any halloween stuff that isn't horror/halloween tv specials or just something that isn't in the horror genre but is closely related?
Old 10-04-12, 11:38 PM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Gobear

OMG Gobear! I streamed this one this morning and was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed this hillbilly gore feast. Alan Tudyk was fantastic in it. Loved it so much that I'm seriously thinking of buying it (it's on my amazon wish list!).

Other one I enjoyed today was The Cabin in the Woods. Totally worth the blind buy. Joss Whedon did great scripting this film.
Old 10-04-12, 11:43 PM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by arw6040
Just out of curiosity not sure if I plan to use this or not, but how many wildcards are there allowed this year? I didn't see anything on the main page about it just saw some discussion here that's why I was wondering. Also what qualifies as wildcards? Any halloween stuff that isn't horror/halloween tv specials or just something that isn't in the horror genre but is closely related?
There are 3 wild cards and one extra one for every 100 movies watched if I remember correctly.
Old 10-04-12, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by shellebelle
There are 3 wild cards and one extra one for every 100 movies watched if I remember correctly.
Thanks for your reply, I was thinking of maybe watching pan's labyrinth for a wildcard since I've never seen it and it is a dark fantasy so would be good for this time of year but we'll see how it goes. The wildcards can't be used for checklist purposes though right? I probably wouldn't anyways because I want to keep them horror only but interested to know.
Old 10-04-12, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

anyone know of any made for tv movies streaming on netflix?...
Here's a list of made-for-tv movies on Netflix (including non-horror).

Some Netflix horror films that stand out, not sure about quality, are Satan's School For Girls, Bag of Bones, Killer Bash, In the Spider's Web, The Hive, Frankenstein (2004), The Langoliers, Salem Witch Trials, The Initiation of Sarah.
Old 10-05-12, 12:13 AM

Evil Ed, The Hole, Castle of Blood, and Rec 3 Genesis.

Evil Ed is must see. So over the top and cheesy. Caught me off guard because I hadn't heard of it until someone talked about it. Probably a good double feature with dead alive or bad taste.

"Where in the fuck is my beaver rape scene"

Rec 3 I can easily see disappointing people. No where close to the previous entries. It adds a very strong comedy element to the film. Also, it eliminated shaky cam pretty after a very lengthy opening (though some might like that). Actually liked how they did the transition there though. Every movie has that asshole who questions why he's filming, so him raging and smashing the cam is just bitter sweet. Main actress is hot though . So if you hate it, atleast you had the honor of staring at her. Liked it, despite it's change some serious/intense to somewhat cheesy. Seeing as part 4 will be going back to the original story, which is briefly used in this one, someone might call this the "season of the witch" sequel. Even though that movie kicks ass.

Last edited by dan31655; 10-05-12 at 01:35 AM.
Old 10-05-12, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dan31655
Evil Ed, The Hole, Castle of Blood, and Rec 3 Genesis.
Does Evil Ed having anything to do with the character from Fright Night?
Old 10-05-12, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by SethDLH
Does Evil Ed having anything to do with the character from Fright Night?
Not directly. But seeing as their are several movie references in this movie, it has to be on purpose.
Old 10-05-12, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yesterday I saw The Amazing Spider-Man at a nice second run theater. This may count as a wild card considering how picky people can be here. But it did prominently feature a mad scientist who turns into a monster and goes on a rampage, and thus had some horror elements mixed in with the storyline. I thought the film was pretty good and I enjoyed it more than the Raimi films. Though the teal and orange color timing was really ugly in the film and obvious. Thanks to all the discussion of that lousy trend in other threads. It really stood out more than ever. Every scene inside the school and Parkers home just looked ugly and greenish instead of normal.

Tonight I watched Frenzy on dvd for the first time and was blown away! I loved it. What a movie. It was extremely entertaining, and quite cruel with the plot and how an innocent character gets caught up with bad luck and all evidence pointing towards him, as the murderer slips through. Lot's a dark humor in this one, and some great camera work and editing throughout creating a terrific and gripping atmosphere.

Oh and in regards to whether horrors should be graphically shown or implied. It all depends on the tone and what the film is aiming for. But I do think implied can be more effective most of the time, since yes your imagination can make it seem more horrible than what's shown.

Frenzy is a great example of this, where the first rape murder scene is pretty explicit. But then later on when the killer lures the next victim unexpectedly, it's left to the imagination what happens next, since the camera pans away from the characters after entering a room, and life goes on outside as normal while awful things happen inside. And it's a very disturbing and effective moment in the film in my opinion, that wouldn't be the same if they dwell
on graphically showing another rape/murder scene.
Old 10-05-12, 12:57 AM

Finished watching Children of The Corn (1984)

Starts off pretty damned good and then, not so much in the second half.
Agreed. I got all hyped up by the first half of the movie, and then sat there while the rest of it fizzled out before my eyes.
Old 10-05-12, 01:01 AM

anyone know of any made for tv movies streaming on netflix?
There's always "Cry for the Strangers," which isn't perfect, but I enjoyed it enough to ramble about it for a long review. It's a fun watch for fans of John Saul novels.
Old 10-05-12, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dan31655
Rec 3 I can easily see disappointing people. No where close to the previous entries.
It's a fun Zombie film, but when compared to the other films in the series, it's not nearly as good. Also as you mentioned, losing the POV-shot style that the series is known for is a bummer.

Even though Paco Plaza does have a shot (in that film) that symbolizes the transition/loss of the POV-style, it's sad to see it go.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.