Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Old 10-02-12, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Almost had a bad flashback similar to day #1 of last year's challenge.
Among the first films I saw in that marathon was, ahem, The Legend of Sorrow Creek. And just earlier, I wrapped up something called Reborn (Or, as it's known on every movie website out there, Machined Reborn) Granted, this wasn't as unwatchably-bad as TLOSC, but good god, this sure was the most clumsiest frickin' movie I've seen in years.

Originally Posted by gp1086
Thanks. That's my plan.
Even though I would like to see IFC return with Halloween/Horror-documentaries like they used to (i.e, The American Nightmare, Argento's Eye for Horror), I'm still cool with them to just pump out horror flicks...And it looks like they've got a LOT lined up this month.

Originally Posted by Gobear
OK, I'll leave Murder Party as it is. I hope it comes back; it really is a Halloween treasure.
I'm saving this (Netflix rental) for the meta-theme this week. Hopefully it'll arrive in time.

All you guys/gals gotta link up your lists in your signatures.
Chad's graph of everyone's lists on page #1 is my sig!
Old 10-02-12, 12:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Nice! I see you watched Slither (2006). This just got added to Netflix Streaming and was thinking of giving it a watch.
Definitely one of my favorite horror comedies of the 2000's. Not to mention it has some great special effect moments with some clear nods to Brian Yuzna (if you ever seen society and from beyond).
Old 10-02-12, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Day 1 is in the books. I'm thinking this will likely be the first challenge where I don't improve upon the previous year. I'm still shooting for 100, though, so 7 is a solid start. I won't be able to get too many movies watched day 2, but I should be able to see a couple and at least stay on pace for 100 (I like to try to keep a 3-movie-a-day average).

Originally Posted by cwileyy
Finished today with 7, which is the most movies I've ever seen in a day. Hoping I can beat that soon!

Today was a blast, though the movies were a mixed bag. The best of the FTV's for today was Witchfinder General, which was a real surprise, as I hadn't heard much about it.

Ended with Mad Monster Party, which was a fun way to close the first day of the challenge!
I've always really liked Witchfinder General, but until a couple of challenges ago, I had always known it by its alternate title of Conqueror Worm.
Old 10-02-12, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

What is everyone's theme night looking like so far? Did the 1972 version of The Last House on the Left and tonight going to bust out The Birds, unless I go through those like 8 movies in one case and see if there is a movie that sticks out to me. Tomorrow night, though, I'm excited as I get to break out into Repo again. Should be some good times
Old 10-02-12, 04:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

decided not to go see LOOPER last night because my sinuses are killing me so i stayed in and watched THE INVISIBLE RAY and BLACK FRIDAY. don't have to work on wednesday so i'll probably go over a friends tonight and watch DARK SHADOWS.
Old 10-02-12, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always enjoy watching Dana Andrews - his affable cynicism is perfect for Night/Curse of the Demon. The dick-ripping, woman-raping troglodyte of the zero-budget Bigfoot opus Curse of the Demon, on the other hand, was considerably less enjoyable to sit through.
Old 10-02-12, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just re-watched The Descent. I don't give this a re-watch very often, due to my claustrophobia, but every time I do, I'm just blown away. Even though the story is very ordinary, it's told in a very extraordinary way. Great flick.
Old 10-02-12, 07:52 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
I've always felt it was more folks making things stretch simply for the numbers. Oh well, I'm here to have fun and not to start trouble.
I don't think adding Halloween items or TV shows was ever about padding the numbers; it couldn't have been actually, since they have always taken 120 minutes of content to count as one. It's actually a disadvantage to watch TV stuff because you can "score better" by watching 119 minute or less movies, and the majority of horror films are less than two hours, many much less.

I think the only real padding arguments were over people who were averaging 20 hours a day of content and most likely cheating, people who count while having the films on in the background, or perhaps the arguing over the Masters of Horror films/episodes.
Opposite problem here. My pick, Murder Party, is no longer on Netflix Streaming. There was no expiration date, but it seems to have been yanked. Should I select an alternate title, or trust that people can find it somewhere else?
Already answered by others, but I don't think we should feel pressured to have every film available on streaming. It'd be one thing if your title was really obscure and expensive to obtain; but it's a few bucks to rent on Amazon, or $5 for a used copy, or $7 on youtube.
Originally Posted by clckworang
Day 1 is in the books. I'm thinking this will likely be the first challenge where I don't improve upon the previous year. I'm still shooting for 100, though, so 7 is a solid start. I won't be able to get too many movies watched day 2, but I should be able to see a couple and at least stay on pace for 100 (I like to try to keep a 3-movie-a-day average).
I was off work for the first 48 hours of the Challenge, and still only got 5 or 6 films in, so my brief thoughts of making it to 100 again are slipping away.

It's been awesome so far though. I so love this month, and look forward to 29.5 more days of chatting with you all!
Old 10-02-12, 07:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LickTheABCs
Just re-watched The Descent. I don't give this a re-watch very often, due to my claustrophobia, but every time I do, I'm just blown away. Even though the story is very ordinary, it's told in a very extraordinary way. Great flick.
I've only seen The Descent once, but I hated it Thought it was a total snoozefest. Keep meaning to rewatch it, since it should be something that I like, so maybe I was just wrong the first time around :P
Old 10-02-12, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,060 Likes on 642 Posts

One of my all time favorites and it has one of the best endings of any movie in my opinion. One of the few movies made in recent years that I have watched nearly a dozen times and never get tired of it.

Okay, I watched a kick-ass movie streaming via Netflix last night. Sometimes I get lucky blinding watching stuff and this one is a true gem. Sheitan (2006) is a french film which stars Vincent Cassel. This movie has it all. Cassel is over the top but believable over the top. And he makes you very uncomfortable. Brief synopsis: A hot chick invites some club hoppers over to her country home and chaos ensues. I will leave it at that. This movie is great at balancing humor while making you feel completely uncomfortable. The pressure slowly keeps building and it just gets pretty crazy by the end. Very enjoyable and highly recommended. I would love to see some other opinions on it.

And a quick question...why don't they sticky the Challenge List thread?
Old 10-02-12, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just watched The Descent for the first time and I really enjoyed it too. I'm not claustrophobic, but there were definitely some moments that made me uncomfortable.

What about The Descent 2?
Spoiler:
What the heck was that ending???

Change of topic - this may have been discussed, but what are thoughts on Dexter for the challenge?
Old 10-02-12, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,060 Likes on 642 Posts

I honestly ignore The Descent 2 as I ignore The Phantom Menace. I just act as it were never made.

Great score for the original Descent by the way for your movie music lovers.

It has been said that Dexter is a serial killer and would be considered horror. I agree.
Old 10-02-12, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

What about something like Hotel Transylvania? Not a straight up horror, but featuring all of those classic monsters.
Old 10-02-12, 08:55 AM

Finally got done finished posting on my list thread. Doing something different this year by posting pics. Snap shoots of my blu covers and a screen shoot while Im watching it.
Heres a sample from Lucio Fulci's Zombie

I couldn't have been more happier to start with my pick, The Orphann Killer. Lived up to what i was expecting. If you like slasher films with some gore, then you should really check this one out.
http://www.theorphankillerstore.com/

I wanted to get in 4 movies last night to finish with 6 on my first day but was already fading away by 10pm. Due to the fact being up all night the previous night. 37 hrs with 2 work days in btw. Took a 2.5 power nap watched attack the block and monster brawl and called it a night...I'm off today & tomorrow and looking to watch my share. Plus got to find time to pick pet cementary , Nightmare elm street box set on blu ray today.
Old 10-02-12, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
One of my all time favorites and it has one of the best endings of any movie in my opinion. One of the few movies made in recent years that I have watched nearly a dozen times and never get tired of it.

Okay, I watched a kick-ass movie streaming via Netflix last night. Sometimes I get lucky blinding watching stuff and this one is a true gem. Sheitan (2006) is a french film which stars Vincent Cassel. This movie has it all. Cassel is over the top but believable over the top. And he makes you very uncomfortable. Brief synopsis: A hot chick invites some club hoppers over to her country home and chaos ensues. I will leave it at that. This movie is great at balancing humor while making you feel completely uncomfortable. The pressure slowly keeps building and it just gets pretty crazy by the end. Very enjoyable and highly recommended. I would love to see some other opinions on it.

And a quick question...why don't they sticky the Challenge List thread?
Yep, Descent and Sheitan are both great imo too.

For the list thread being stickied, it is your responsibility as much as Chad's (or anyone's) to ask a mod to have it done. But historically, they only like to have one stickied at a time, and usually swap it over on the 2nd or so.
Originally Posted by Numes
Change of topic - this may have been discussed, but what are thoughts on Dexter for the challenge?
Definitely allowed.
Old 10-02-12, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Plan on hitting it hard this month, going to try to get at least 3 or 4 movies in a day. And some days 5 or 6.
Old 10-02-12, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

It's a good day for Vincent Price movies.
Old 10-02-12, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by JHCA13
Subset pick "The Innkeepers" is new on Netflix instant today...unless I somehow missed it earlier...
SCORE! This is awesome, thanks for mentioning it! I wanted to see that so bad!
Old 10-02-12, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Numes
What about The Descent 2?
What? What is this? They made a Descent 2? I had no idea! *goes back to happily thinking such a thing doesn't exist*
Old 10-02-12, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Called in sick today (and planning tomorrow too) to kick back and cram in some movies.

Starting off with Gutterballs which is a mean spirited low brow horror slasher rape/revenge comedy that is utter thrash and hard to recommend but hits the right notes for me today with it's over the top but tongue in cheek humor.
Originally Posted by bluetoast
What about something like Hotel Transylvania? Not a straight up horror, but featuring all of those classic monsters.
I am planning on counting Hotel Transylvania. Movies like this and Mad Monster Party if not explicitly horror are such homages to Universal Monster movies and earlier films that there's no way to enjoy them without emphasizing the horror-like elements or having a good appreciate the predecessors so should count.
Old 10-02-12, 09:51 AM

Ughh, I don't think October's going to go too well for me this year. My wife's in the hospital and I had to call in to work today and probably tomorrow, which also means our money's taking a big hit and we probably won't get to visit Sleepy Hollow this year, if she even physically could do it. Because of that I've only seen five films so far when I'm usually up to 15 or so. I watched Cabin in the Woods which was fun, and then after that it's been stuff I've seen a 100 times before while I work out the stress going on in my head. Hopefully things can only get better from here.

I love Sheitan. I picked it for the subset films list a few years ago and the majority of people seemed to greatly dislike it but I love everything about it. But I also love the really obtuse, makes-no-sense, dream-logic type of horror like Suspiria and Jean Rollin films that's probably only palatable to a very specific group of folks.
Old 10-02-12, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by arw6040
Are you saying that the netflix streaming isn't the full standard version of waxwork or it is? That's how I plan to see it so I was wondering because most of the time when it comes to horror if they cut out too much I lose interest I've never seen it before but would like to know if there are any big parts missing.
Netflix is the fullscreen R rated version and there's no HD stream. There's noticeable cuts to it, in the standard R version. Netflix is also 5 seconds shorter than the DVD but I'm not sure if it's just stuff from the beginning/end credits. I kind of doubt it's more cuts to the film but you never know. So if anyone was deciding on getting the 8 movie DVD set for this film and they also have Netflix, the DVD isn't any worse that what Netflix has. A lot of times they do have better versions, just not in this case.

Since you mentioned you were going to stream Waxwork, thought I'd mention they have Cat and the Canary, so if you want music, there it is. They also have a remake from 1978 that I caught last night. Have to say the original is a lot better and the remake doesn't add anything to it.

Last edited by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi; 10-02-12 at 12:03 PM.
Old 10-02-12, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Called in sick today (and planning tomorrow too) to kick back and cram in some movies.

Starting off with Gutterballs which is a mean spirited low brow horror slasher rape/revenge comedy that is utter thrash and hard to recommend
That's not hard to recommend at all! I mean, who doesn't want to see a women get raped with the fat end of a bowling pin?
Old 10-02-12, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 224 Likes on 164 Posts

Brian,

Here's what I wrote about Sheitanfor the Challenge two years ago:

Wow. Just wow. This film was nothing like I was expecting, and the second time this challenge that I've been completely bowled over by a film. First Dead Snow, and now Sheitan. I can only think of one person that I know that I can recommend this to; if I were to recommend it to ANYONE else they'd probably never trust my judgement again. So be it. As Sheitan is set in the French countryside, it reminded me a (very) little of High Tension--but the films are two very different birds altogether. If you haven't seen this one (and you're up for something completely different, as Monty Python would say), don't read anything about it beforehand. Just get on for a sensationally wonky ride. Loved it, loved it, loved it.
Old 10-02-12, 10:30 AM

If anyone is interested, I have created a fairly plain, but complete blank list post. It has links to the current discussion thread, the list thread, and spoilered sections of the themes, subset choices, and Chad's linkified version of the checklist. I've added a couple of optional things, clearly marked with "(optional)", but here it is spoilered in case anyone doesn't want to have to recreate the wheel.
Spoiler:

My 2012 DVDTalk Horror Challenge List

Checklist Spoilered
Spoiler:

Watch a film starring:
--- Angela Bettis -or- Raine Brown -
--- Caroline Munro -
--- Danielle Harris -
--- Joan Crawford -or- Peter Lorre -
--- John Agar -
--- Kane Hodder -
--- Lina Romay (R.I.P.) -
--- Max von Sydow -
--- Michelle Bauer -
--- Oliver Reed -

Watch a film composed by:
--- Bernard Herrmann -
--- Ennio Morricone -
--- Pino Donaggio -

Watch a film directed by:
--- Amando de Ossorio -or- Paco Plaza -
--- Brian De Palma -or- Roman Polanski -
--- George A. Romero -
--- Jacques Tourneur -or- James Whale -
--- Kazuo 'Gaira' Komizu -or- Takashi Shimizu

Watch a film with make-up effects by:
--- KNB Effects (Howard Berger / Robert Kurtzman / Gregory Nicotero) -
--- Germano Natali -or- Carlo Rambaldi (R.I.P.) -
--- Rick Baker -

Watch a film written by:
--- Jimmy Sangster -

Watch a film in each of the following sub-genres / types:
--- *3-D Film -
--- Anthology Film -
--- Appears on BFI's 100 European Horror Films List -
--- Appears on Video Nasties List -
--- Based on a Novel -
--- Cannibalism -
--- Cinematic Titanic / Horror Host / MST3K / RiffTrax -
--- Comedy / Spoof -
--- Distributor / Studio: Synapse Films -
--- Documentary -
--- Extraterrestrial -
--- Film and at Least Two of its Sequels -
--- Film and its Remake -
--- Found Footage -
--- Frankenstein -
--- Ghost / Haunting -
--- Giallo -
--- J-Horror -
--- Killer / Evil Animal -
--- Killer / Evil Child -
--- Killer / Evil Doll -
--- Made-for-TV Movie -
--- Monster / Creature Feature / Godzilla -
--- Mummy -
--- Musical / Rock ‘n Roll Horror
--- Nazi -
--- Psychological -
--- Rape / Revenge -
--- Slasher / Psycho / Homicidal Maniac -
--- Takes Place in Space -
--- Takes Place on a Holiday -
--- Takes Place on or Under the Sea -
--- Vampire -
--- Werewolf -
--- Witchcraft / Satanic / Religious -
--- With Commentary -
--- Zombie -

Watch films in at least three formats:
--- First format, (insert format), (insert title).
--- Second format, (insert format), (insert title).
--- Third format, (insert format), (insert title).

Watch films in at least three languages:
--- First language, (insert language), (insert title).
--- Second language, (insert language), (insert title).
--- Third language, (insert language), (insert title).

Watch films set on all 7 continents: (optional)
--- Africa, (insert title).
--- Antarctica, (insert title).
--- Asia, (insert title).
--- Australia, (insert title).
--- Europe, (insert title).
--- North America, (insert title).
--- South America, (insert title).

Watch one film from every decade of film history:
--- 1890 - 1919 OPTIONAL -
--- 1920 -
--- 1930 -
--- 1940 -
--- 1950 -
--- 1960 -
--- 1970 -
--- 1980 -
--- 1990 -
--- 2000 -
--- 2010 -

Watch a film for each rating:
--- G -
--- PG -
--- PG-13 -
--- R -
--- X / NC-17 -
--- Unrated -

Attend a live event (convention, play, haunted house, ghost tour, etc.):
--- (insert event). OPTIONAL

Venture Into the Audio World: (horror soundtrack CD, audio book, podcast, etc.):
--- (insert item). OPTIONAL

Venture Into the Literary World:
--- Read a Horror Novel or Novella (insert title). OPTIONAL

Theme Nights Spoilered
Spoiler:

--- 09/30: Criterion Challenge Crossover - Criterions (optional) -
--- 10/01: Cessation City - Urban Horror -
--- 10/02: Peace, Love & Dismemberment - 1960's Horror Cinema -
--- 10/03: The Doctor is In ...sane - Medical Horrors -
--- 10/04: Wink Wink, Nudge Nudge, Kill Kill - Meta Horror Films -
--- 10/05: Gruesome, Greasy, Grindhouse Sleazy - Exploitation Horror -
--- 10/06: Movies That Mess With Your Head - "Exploding Head" Horror -
--- 10/07: Day of the Pissed Off Woman - Scream Queens -
--- 10/08: The Ultimate Pointless Cash Grab Blood Feud! - Remakes Vs. Sequels -
--- 10/09: Dawn of the Decaying - Zombie Films -
--- 10/10: Sweaty Asses Scaring the Masses - Rubber Suit Horror Films -
--- 10/11: Avant-garde, Surreal & Without Mass Appeal - Arthouse Horror Films -
--- 10/12: When Metal Meets Flesh - Killer Robots / Evil Technology -
--- 10/13: Angst-Ridden with Blemishes Hidden - Teen Screams -
--- 10/14: Buried Alive and Itching to Survive - Subterranean Horror -
--- 10/15: Frankie Goes to Hollywood - Frankenstein / Mad Doctor Films -
--- 10/16: Die You Nazi Bastards! - Third Reich Terrors -
--- 10/17: Rent's Overdue & So Are You! - Apartment Horror -
--- 10/18: Viking Decapitation Via Windmill - NetherHorror Vs. Norwegian Horror -
--- 10/19: It Slices, Dices & Guts You Like a Fish - Slashers / Giallos / Serial Killers -
--- 10/20: Bela...Bram. Bram...Bela. - Bela @ 130 & Bram @ 165 -
--- 10/21: The Earth Died Screaming - Apocalyptic Horror -
--- 10/22: The Last Man on Earth is Not Alone - Cinema Inspired By Richard Matheson -
--- 10/23: The Asian Buffet of Tantalizing Terrors! - Korean / Thai / J-Horror / Indian / Chinese / Philippine / Indonesian -
--- 10/24: Some Folks Have a Strange Idea of Entertainment - Grave Robbing Horror -
--- 10/25: It was a Dark and Stormy Night... - Campground Tales -
--- 10/26: For God's Sake, Get Out! - Supernatural / Haunted House / Ghost -
--- 10/27: Mass Marathon of the Damned 3: Battery Acid Tea -
--- 10/28: On the Highway to Hell - Road Terrors -
--- 10/29: Lychanthrope Lunacy - Werewolves & Were-Creatures -
--- 10/30: The Demented Debauchery of Devil's Night - Demonic Possession / Satanic -
--- 10/31: All Hallows Eve Hellfest - Halloween Related -
--- 11/01: Comedy Challenge Crossover - Comedy (optional) -

Subset Films Spoilered
Spoiler:

--- 09/30: random.org - Kuroneko (1968) (optional)
--- 10/01: clckworang - Blacula (1972)
--- 10/02: orlmac - The Fearless Vampire Killers (1967)
--- 10/03: Dimension X - The Dentist (1996)
--- 10/04: arw6040 - The Cabin in the Woods (2011)
--- 10/05: NoirFan - Count Yorga: Vampire (1970)
--- 10/06: Trevor - Touch of Death (1988)
--- 10/07: riotinmyskull - Return of the Living Dead (1985)
--- 10/08: DEEveeDEE3 - Mother's Day (2010)
--- 10/09: cwileyy - Deadgirl (2008)
--- 10/10: Screwadu - Creature from the Haunted Sea (1961)
--- 10/11: Mister Peepers - Dead of Night (1945)
--- 10/12: LJG765 - Class of 1999 (1990)
--- 10/13: indiephantom - Forget Me Not (2009)
--- 10/14: edwardnortonfan - Buried (2010)
--- 10/15: SterlingBen - Frankenhooker (1990)
--- 10/16: Viewaskewbian - Chillerama (2010)
--- 10/17: rbrown498 - Noroi: The Curse (2005)
--- 10/18: terrycloth - Saint Nick (2010)
--- 10/19: Bladz - Deep Red (1975)
--- 10/20: BobO'Link - White Zombie (1932)
--- 10/21: SethDLH - Stake Land (2010)
--- 10/22: shellebelle - The Last Man on Earth (1964)
--- 10/23: ororama - A Tale of Two Sisters (2003)
--- 10/24: tarfrimmer - I Sell the Dead (2008)
--- 10/25: Darth Maher - Lake Mungo (2008)
--- 10/26: Chad - The Innkeepers (2011)
--- 10/27: Undeadcow - Fascination (1979)
--- 10/28: jmsmath - Rubber (2010)
--- 10/29: Darkgod - Night of the Werewolf (1981)
--- 10/30: J. Farley - The Pyx (1973)
--- 10/31: Gobear - Murder Party (2008)
--- 11/01: Comedy Challenge Crossover - Fido (2006) (optional)

It's a good day for Vincent Price movies.
It's not his birthday, but he died on the 25th. Anything special about today?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.