Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-12, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

If someone wants Gargoyles, why not just watch Tales From The Darkside: The Movie (1990)?

Finished watching A Nightmare On Elm Street 4: The Dream Master (1988)

I don't know why I didn't realize how many ideas were taken from this film by Wes Craven for My Soul To Take (2010). Didn't Craven loathe the sequels he wasn't involved in?
Old 10-01-12, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Not sure if this has been asked, but are we deferring to the Emmy's classification of American Horror Story as a Mini-Series and counting each episode as 1 entry?
Old 10-01-12, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

I started last night with Cat People (1942), Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956), and King Kong (1933). Those were chosen simply because they overlaped with the Criterion challenge. Tonight begins the journey through the "unopened" pile... Don't know just what'll be first but I have a few "new" Hammer titles begging attention.
Old 10-01-12, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
If someone wants Gargoyles, why not just watch Tales From The Darkside: The Movie (1990)?
Or watch the 1972 made-for-TV horror film, Gargoyles . YouTube
Old 10-01-12, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Melmoth
Not sure if this has been asked, but are we deferring to the Emmy's classification of American Horror Story as a Mini-Series and counting each episode as 1 entry?
Was wondering the same thing myself.
Old 10-01-12, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Given that the episodes of American Horror Story only run 43 minutes without commercials, I am going to just list each as 1/2 an entry. Even the shortest movies are generally at least a half-hour longer than this.
Old 10-01-12, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
I'm more of the mindset that if you have to ask, then it ain't horror.
Well, I ain't askin', pardner! I'm almost done with the Lewton set, and then it's a Curse of the Demon (1957/1980) double-feature.
Old 10-01-12, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

He hadn't seen it before, so I could see asking. Imdb and allmovie both point to it as more of fantasy(no horror tags), which is what I'd call it, based on what little I've seen of it.
Old 10-01-12, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

I just finished a first-time viewing of The People Under the Stairs. It's one of those that I had just never gotten around to seeing. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would, although I have to admit that I kept waiting for the woman to start screaming about silent drape runners. Ha, ha.

An early surprise for me in this challenge would be the decades. It's just the first day and I only have 4 things down on my list, but I have already seen two films from the '90s. I remember it took me until about halfway through the challenge last year to even get one. I'm still not expecting big numbers from that decade, though.

But if you haven't seen it, then how would you know?

Originally Posted by Gobear
Or watch the 1972 made-for-TV horror film, Gargoyles . YouTube
Because I think he was looking for an animated selection.
Old 10-01-12, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts

I think you would know pretty quickly if something is horror or not a few minutes in. But then again, many here take the rules a whole lot more seriously than I. I quit questioning things years ago when people wanted to put animated kids Halloween shows as a notch in their belt for the Horror Movie Challenge and it was allowed. So basically...whatever blows your skirt up is fine with me now. Watch what you want, read and make comments and have fun.

It seems everyone has a different definition of horror nowadays anyway.
Old 10-01-12, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by Melmoth
I missed the Primetime Emmys so this was news to me. Anyway, a search prompted this:

This spring, Ryan Murphy and company opted to submit “American Horror Story” for Emmy consideration in the miniseries category . Their argument: As an “anthology” series, one that will reboot itself in season two with all new characters, it could be considered a miniseries and a drama. Emmy bought that argument, allowing “AHS” to compete in a (slightly) less competitive field than the best drama race.

We always knew that ‘American Horror Story’ was going to be a miniseries in the sense that we knew that it was a close-ended show that had no continuing story lines or characters between the 13 episodes that were produced and aired and subsequent seasons,” Landgraf said. “And, you know, that’s the definition of a miniseries.”

I guess if you agree with the above then count it as such.

Originally Posted by gp1086
Given that the episodes of American Horror Story only run 43 minutes without commercials, I am going to just list each as 1/2 an entry.
Same here.
Old 10-01-12, 04:52 PM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

It's good to see Svengoolie has been getting some love this year. I just got his monthly newsletter and here's what he'll be showing on ME-TV in October.

Oct. 06 -- Deadly Mantis
Oct. 13 -- Batman (1966 with Adam West)
Oct. 20 -- This Island Earth
Oct. 27 -- Werewolf of London

Some strange choices for Halloween month but who am I to say?

I got up early this morning to start the challenge before work and watched The Blood Beast Terror with Peter Cushing. Despite the presence of one of my favorite actors the movie is just average. Looking forward to Candyman for today's theme this evening. Hoping to fit in one more but we'll see.
Old 10-01-12, 04:58 PM
Cool New Member

Subset pick "The Innkeepers" is new on Netflix instant today...unless I somehow missed it earlier...
Old 10-01-12, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I watched an interesting flick from Argentina, Penumbra. A DVD Talk review gave it big ups, so I found it on Netflix. The basic setup is a hardcharging lawyer from Spain is renting out an apartment in Buenos Aires, and she heaps contempt and vitriol on every person she meets, and as a European she really looks down on Argentinos as inferiors. It turns out that the people she is renting to have a sinister agenda in mind, and hijinks ensue.

I enjoyed seeing her get her comeuppance, although the film relies on a twist at the end that was similar to a movie I watched last year, Believers.

I definitely recommend it if you don't mind nudity or one bit of violence that isn't a surprise but is very graphic.

Last edited by Gobear; 10-01-12 at 05:38 PM.
Old 10-01-12, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad
Just caught Sole Survivor. It was like a Final Destination film only without the teenagers and shitty CGI.
Sole Survivor is a respectable film, the morgue scene is great.
Originally Posted by Screwadu
RE: Big Tits Zombie.
There are zombies.
..are there also big tits?
Originally Posted by Screwadu
Would the Cthulu mythos qualify for Witchcraft/Satanic/Religious?
Curiously do you have a specific cthulhu mythos film in mind?

Originally Posted by JHCA13
Subset pick "The Innkeepers" is new on Netflix instant today...unless I somehow missed it earlier...
The Innkeepers was one of the best horror films of last year, definitely recommended.
Old 10-01-12, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
..are there also big tits?
I'm guessing that since it's a Japanese movie, what they call "big" is what we in the US would call "average".
Old 10-01-12, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was interesting watching the AIP version of Black Sabbath - they absolutely ruin the second story with some absurd changes, one of which (unsurprisingly) involves removing the lesbianic aspects, but I liked Karloff's intros and it was nice to hear his voice undubbed. It looked great on MGMHD too - I wonder what the likelihood is of a potential Kino Blu-ray including both cuts?
Old 10-01-12, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think you would know pretty quickly if something is horror or not a few minutes in. But then again, many here take the rules a whole lot more seriously than I. I quit questioning things years ago when people wanted to put animated kids Halloween shows as a notch in their belt for the Horror Movie Challenge and it was allowed. So basically...whatever blows your skirt up is fine with me now. Watch what you want, read and make comments and have fun.

It seems everyone has a different definition of horror nowadays anyway.
I've always felt it was more folks making things stretch simply for the numbers. Oh well, I'm here to have fun and not to start trouble.

Has anyone else watched [REC]³ Génesis (2012)? Fun ride, but I was a little bummed about the change in camera style. I did enjoy Paco Plaza making it very symbolic though.
Old 10-01-12, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...are there also big tits?
Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I'm guessing that since it's a Japanese movie, what they call "big" is what we in the US would call "average".
Very average indeed. You would think that five strippers would equal ten bouncing delicious yumyums, but no. Only two of them go topless for a brief time and they're about softball sized. Even the cartoon GABOING sound effects don't help, for there is no actual gaboinging.

Curiously do you have a specific cthulhu mythos film in mind?
The Call of Cthulhu (2005), now streaming on Netflix.
Old 10-01-12, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by clckworang
I just finished a first-time viewing of The People Under the Stairs. It's one of those that I had just never gotten around to seeing. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would, although I have to admit that I kept waiting for the woman to start screaming about silent drape runners. Ha, ha.
It's been a while since I've seen that film, but I remember being creeped out by it on my first viewing.
Old 10-01-12, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

so spent the weekend in Pa

Friday was in philly and went to terror behind the walls *eastern state
Sat spent the evening at Pennhurst Asylum
Sunday was in Lancaster where we went to Jason's Woods

Enjoyed them all cant wait till next weekend

but on the trip picked up some items at a walmart and a creepy comic book store in a basement of a church in lancaster.

I got some full moon toys for 5$ Castle Freak and Radu (lines from 98 i believe)

and at walmart finally scored Halloween 4-5 for 8, also grabbed Mother's Day and a critters 4pack.

started the movie watching today with two first time watches in King of Zombies and Dracula both of which I enjoyed now gotta figure out what to check out now
Old 10-01-12, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've always felt it was more folks making things stretch simply for the numbers. Oh well, I'm here to have fun and not to start trouble.
I like to watch old Halloween cartoons, like Garfield and Charlie Brown and combine them as 1 Wild Card entry along with the Paul Lynde Halloween Special, which for me is mandatory viewing. That's hardly padding one's count.

Watching Blacula now. The opening sets off the discordant tone that this movie has always had for me. Dracula's castle is a cheap set with lousy sound, and there's William Marshall giving a serious performance as Prince Mamuwalde that is on a wholly superior level of art from the rest of the film.

As a gay man, I find the gay couple who import Blacula's coffin to be sadly stereotypical, yet you don't generally see an interracial gay couple in films at all, so the film still gets +1 for visibility.
Old 10-01-12, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by terrycloth
so spent the weekend in Pa

Friday was in philly and went to terror behind the walls *eastern state
Sat spent the evening at Pennhurst Asylum
Sunday was in Lancaster where we went to Jason's Woods

Enjoyed them all cant wait till next weekend

but on the trip picked up some items at a walmart and a creepy comic book store in a basement of a church in lancaster.

I got some full moon toys for 5$ Castle Freak and Radu (lines from 98 i believe)

and at walmart finally scored Halloween 4-5 for 8, also grabbed Mother's Day and a critters 4pack.

started the movie watching today with two first time watches in King of Zombies and Dracula both of which I enjoyed now gotta figure out what to check out now
sounds like an awesome weekend. You got some great deals on those Full Moon toys.

A word of caution to everyone- Don't ever watch Jess Franco's Nightmares Come At Night. I'll go into further detail in my blog post about today's viewings but don't ever waste your time on this garbage.
Old 10-01-12, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by JHCA13
Thank you. The subset thread has been adjusted accordingly. And here I almost switched picks due to it not streaming at the time.
Old 10-01-12, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Got my copy of An American Werewolf in London today from the Deep Discount Halloween Sale. Still waiting for my Blu Ray of Army of Darkness

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.