Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-12, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 211 Likes on 131 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Kuroneko is such a horror classic. Kaneto Shindo dresses up his vampire/ghost/cat women in traditional Noh theatre makeup, and there's this brilliant effect in the forest when they are taking their first victim; at the 14:00 minute mark, you can see the samurai riding his horse to their house, and above, you can see trees turning to give an eerie other-worldly effect.

Last edited by Gobear; 10-01-12 at 12:13 AM.
Old 09-30-12, 11:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by Gobear
Kuroneko is such a brilliant film. Kaneto Shindo dresses up his vampire/ghost/cat women in traditional Noh theatre makeup, and there's this brilliant effect in the forest when they are taking their first victim; at the 14:00 minute mark, you can see the samurai riding his horse to their house, and above, you can see trees turning to give an eerie other-worldly effect.
looking forward to starting this soon! almost done with repulsion definitely reminds me of black swan in a sense; well done for it's time I love movies that mess with your mind as long as there is some intelligence to it with symbolism etc. not completely plotless.
Old 09-30-12, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

I found Kuroneko to be a lot sillier than I expected, sort of an overly formal slapstick cheese-fest betrayed by the Criterion label. Sure there's some melodramatic social commentary, which is the best part of it. A lot of the horror elements are rushed lacking subtlety and the black cat theme is on/off cheaply employed to position an argument about samurai philosophy. It's a good/fun movie that's very over the top, there's even a dead body montage. Definitely not what I expected from the Onibaba guy.
Originally Posted by arw6040
...almost done with repulsion definitely reminds me of black swan in a sense; well done for it's time I love movies that mess with your mind as long as there is some intelligence to it with symbolism etc. not completely plotless.
Repulsion is a great movie, one of my favorites.
Old 09-30-12, 11:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll probably watch a movie tomorrow, since I'm to tired to watch one tonight. I'm not sure what my first choice will be. But I may start off with a favorite or jump right into some first time viewings to get through my unwatched pile.

A few titles are up in the air however on whether they qualify as horror or not. I bought the Warner 4 Cult Thrillers collection a few weeks ago for $2 used in great shape and a great bargain(the store wanted $20 for the used separate release of The Ninth Configuration!).

I've never seen three of the 4 fours in this set. This includes Altered States and The Ninth Configuration. I've seen Dead Calm when it first was released on video, but don't remember much about the film, and I've seen bits of Just Cause back when it first premiered on cable. I know that film is more of a court/law/mystery thriller type of film. But what about the other three?

imdb.com lists Horror as one of the subgenres for Altered States, but only lists drama and thriller for the other two. However, horror tags are missing from numerous films on imdb.com as well despite the films being in the genre. So I know they're not the sole word on this issue. Some reviews of The Ninth Configuration mention the film being 'scary' and 'disturbing' and funny,surreal and just a wide range of tones. So could it possible count as a psychological horror film since it deals with insanity and such? Or is that stretching it?

I've also been searching for the elusive Lionsgate 8 pack horror releases( mainly the Waxwork, Re-animator and Blood Diner packs) but having no luck locating them. If I do find them, I'm not sure I'll be able to get to the titles this month. Since I'm trying to not add to many new titles to view(though it's tough sticking to my word, since I find some great deals, lol), because I have stuff I never watched last year, that I was hoping to view this year. Though like a few others, I never make a list of what to watch, and just randomly select a film and see where it takes me. If I over-think what to watch, then I never get anything viewed. So I try to just play it by ear and pick something at random if in the mood.

I was hoping to get some first time blu-ray viewing in this month as well. But I've been having the worst time getting a 'new' laptop(was buying a refurbished model) with a blu-ray drive. The first one arrived with a defective screen, and then the second one sent was the wrong model lacking a blu-ray drive. And now I'm just getting refunded and looking for the best deals around since the seller is out of the model I wanted at a great price.

So once I get the upcoming Terror Train release. It looks like dvd is my only option if I plan to view it for the challenge, though I was hoping to watch it on blu, and also pick up a select few other titles at great prices for the challenge. But that plan is on hold at the moment.
Old 10-01-12, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts

Felt like re-visiting some "Extras" for this challenge like I did for '07's Challenge. They'll consist of short subjects,short films,featurettes or mini-documentaries that are horror-related that can be found on DVDs or on the net (Even if some of the documentaries happen to surpass the 60-minute mark, I'll still exclude them from my official listing) And I guess this will finally give me a reason to check out those Lost Tales from Camp Blood shorts on a lot of my F13th discs.

I just figured that if I happened to run into a crappy flick, at least a classic horror film's "Making-of" will likely erase the bad taste.
Old 10-01-12, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
I found Kuroneko to be a lot sillier than I expected, sort of an overly formal slapstick cheese-fest betrayed by the Criterion label. Sure there's some melodramatic social commentary, which is the best part of it. A lot of the horror elements are rushed lacking subtlety and the black cat theme is on/off cheaply employed to position an argument about samurai philosophy. It's a good/fun movie that's very over the top, there's even a dead body montage. Definitely not what I expected from the Onibaba guy.
Could not disagree more. Kuroneko borrows from traditional Japanese folklore; the ghost animal as an instrument of vengeance has a strong background in Japanese supernatural lore. Onibaba is a better film, if only because of the eerie landscape shots, but Kuroneko rocks.
Old 10-01-12, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 330 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad
As much as I'd love to say yes, sadly there is not. That's just a little Photoshop trickery from yours truly that's just for looks. I even contacted them to ask if that were possible and their response was it's only for TV, movies and sports at the moment.
That could have totally worked! The sticker only unlocks if you check into 100+ horror movies/tv shows during the month of Oct.

Also it seems I was looking at Gobears secret list now yours, you are off the hook... this time.

Last edited by SterlingBen; 10-01-12 at 01:02 AM.
Old 10-01-12, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 362 Likes on 305 Posts

Finished watching The Thing (2011)

Wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting, but it really didn't feel like a prequel. It really felt like The Thing (1982) with a new final act.
Old 10-01-12, 01:34 AM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I started off this year's challenge with Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers. I don't usually watch movies out of order, especially in challenges because I'm anal like that. But I just got Halloween 4/5 on BD and really wanted to watch them.

I am now contemplating if I want to watch another horror movie before bed, or watch something else.
Old 10-01-12, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First title complete. In the spirit of urban horror, not one I had anticipated watching but went with Cloverfield (2008).
Old 10-01-12, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Started off with a documentary-The Best Worst Movie-about Troll 2. Almost makes me want to watch it! Also watched M*A*S*H: Trick or Treatment. One of my favorites. It's not an action packed one, but the crew are all getting along and telling stories trying to scare each other and they end up with their own odd story. George Wendt has a short appearance though he doesn't talk much...
Old 10-01-12, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
That could have totally worked! The sticker only unlocks if you check into 100+ horror movies/tv shows during the month of Oct.

Also it seems I was looking at Gobear's secret list now yours, you are off the hook... this time.
It's not a secret list; it's just a collection of YouTube horror movie links that I have cued up, as I said in post #815 (clicky) in Thread #1. As part of my pre-game planning, I looked for movies to watch on YouTube, and then bookmarked the links. As I watch them, I will add them to my list, no different than buying DVDs for future viewing.

If anyone wants to look, I compiled the links under my checklist. Please use them yourselves. As always, every YouTube/ StageVu/ naughty streaming link in my list is clickable, until it is deleted.

Last edited by Gobear; 10-01-12 at 02:48 AM.
Old 10-01-12, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Finished watching The Thing (2011)

Wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting, but it really didn't feel like a prequel. It really felt like The Thing (1982) with a new final act.
To me, this felt like Godzilla, King of the Monsters with Mary Elizabeth Winstead playing the Raymond Burr character. Meaning that a more intriguing (And certainly less tacked-on) story still lies in the background (Much like the way Gojira showed the POV from the Japanese, this "pre"make should have just been a Norwegian POV)
Old 10-01-12, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 362 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
To me, this felt like Godzilla, King of the Monsters with Mary Elizabeth Winstead playing the Raymond Burr character. Meaning that a more intriguing (And certainly less tacked-on) story still lies in the background (Much like the way Gojira showed the POV from the Japanese, this "pre"make should have just been a Norwegian POV)
It definitely felt like it was going in that direction originally, then slowly started to shift focus.

I also wish the film wasn't so CG heavy. There were some really interesting creature designs in there.

Finished watching Mutant Girls Squad (2010). Bat-shit insane and I loved every minute of it.
Old 10-01-12, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
I think I'm going to start off with House of 1000 Corpses tonight.

Mostly because I love the film and my Halloween costume this year is probably going to be Otis Driftwood (w/ face paint)
You sir, are a hero. LOVE that film, though I may save it for later.

Finally saw the season premiere of Dexter and it was AMAZING. God, cannot wait for next Sunday. Will check out that 666 show soon as well, but not tonight. Wanted to kick things off after Dexter, but got around to watching that way too late as I was finding all of my hero flicks.

And went to Best Buy today and they have a nice shelf of DVDs and blu-rays for sale. Anything you find on amazon like Halloween, Killer Klowns, etc can be found there at the same price among a nice selection. And the blu-ray of Nightmare on Elm Street comes out on sale Tuesday.

EDIT: Decided to stay up and kick this contest off with, Drag Me To Hell. Damn you Sam Raimi. Your movies are not scary and they are nothing more than comedy. Granted, really funny comedy with some cheap special effects, but you make me laugh more than anything else.

Last edited by jacob_b; 10-01-12 at 05:21 AM.
Old 10-01-12, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by LJG765
Started off with a documentary-The Best Worst Movie-about Troll 2. Almost makes me want to watch it! Also watched M*A*S*H: Trick or Treatment. One of my favorites. It's not an action packed one, but the crew are all getting along and telling stories trying to scare each other and they end up with their own odd story. George Wendt has a short appearance though he doesn't talk much...
I remember that episode. Kind of hard to talk with a pool ball in your mouth
Old 10-01-12, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wasn't able to start things off last night, as I didnt feel up to movie watching, but going to hit it hard tonight, have 3 movies on tap. the original Cat People, Gopdzilla vs Megaguirus, and Beast From 20,000 Fathoms.
Old 10-01-12, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts

I recommend the movies The pact and lovely Molly... Caught then both last night and both good modern horror movies
Old 10-01-12, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Darkgod
I recommend the movies The pact and lovely Molly... Caught then both last night and both good modern horror movies
I'll second Lovely Molly. That movie surprised the hell out of me the other day. It's a rough, creepy horror film from the director of The Blair Witch Project and Altered, Eduardo Sanchez, two other horror films that I love. This is definitely his most mature and effective work, though. It's one of my favorite horror films of the year, no doubt.

So I ended up watching Cabin in the Woods last night after midnight to fulfill my "Teen Screams" challenge of the day. I still love the movie. It's just so damn smart, and funny, and gory...a perfect combination, in my estimation. I'm about to find out what today's challenge will be, but I think I'm going to watch something else in the next few minutes. Unfortunately I work quite a bit, so trying to fit everything in before work will be a hassle. I am also thinking about making the drive up to Best Buy to see what kind of horror titles they have on sale. If I can get Jeepers Creepers and Killer Klowns from them, I just might do that. Might also stop at Walmart to pick up Halloween 4 and Halloween 5 for $7.88 afterwards.

Last edited by Psymin1; 10-01-12 at 08:56 AM.
Old 10-01-12, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i'm going to try to squeeze in BLACK FRIDAY (1940) between getting off work and a 7pm showing of LOOPER.
Old 10-01-12, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Psymin1
I'll second Lovely Molly. That movie surprised the hell out of me the other day. It's a rough, creepy horror film from the director of The Blair Witch Project and Altered, Eduardo Sanchez, two other horror films that I love. This is definitely his most mature and effective work, though. It's one of my favorite horror films of the year, no doubt.
I've seen it and also recommend it. It's made creepier by star Johnny Lewis' drug-fueled murder-suicide a few days ago.
Old 10-01-12, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by indiephantom
I've seen it and also recommend it. It's made creepier by star Johnny Lewis' drug-fueled murder-suicide a few days ago.
it was sureal seeing him in that
Old 10-01-12, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

When looking at IMDB for the horror classification, does horror have to be in the initial abbraviated genres, or can it be in the complete genres listed farther down the page? I am asking because I own the Witchblade anime series, and while horror is not in the first genre llisting, it is listed in the complete genre listing.
Old 10-01-12, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by shadokitty
When looking at IMDB for the horror classification, does horror have to be in the initial abbraviated genres, or can it be in the complete genres listed farther down the page? I am asking because I own the Witchblade anime series, and while horror is not in the first genre llisting, it is listed in the complete genre listing.
I use the complete genre listing.
Old 10-01-12, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
It doesn't have to one of the main genre listings, so you're good to go.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.