Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Old 09-30-12, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Double-checked my times for 'dusk' because it was brought up.

New start time is 7:20pm!

Not that 32 minute head start even mattered. I've never hit 100, don't care about cheating.

All I want is to indulge in my love of Horror films/movies for one full month, almost non-stop.
You don't need to cheat to hit 100; you just have to watch a lot of old movies with a 60-minute running time. And having them run in the background while you submit resume after resume trying to find a job in this godforsaken economy helps too.
Old 09-30-12, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

I think I'm going to start off with House of 1000 Corpses tonight.

Mostly because I love the film and my Halloween costume this year is probably going to be Otis Driftwood (w/ face paint)
Old 09-30-12, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just thought I'd check in before the challenge starts. I've really been looking forward to this and going without watching horror movies for a while has probably made me anticipate it even more. I'll even admit that I got a pair of pajamas especially for this challenge.

Before it starts I'm going to take a shower and shave. I don't plan on shaving again until after the contest is over. Why? Because shaving uses up time that could be spent watching movies! At 12:00 AM I will start with House Of The Devil.
Old 09-30-12, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 198 Posts

What is this secret list I found that involves Chud II & Spookies, Chad? What are you hiding from us!
Old 09-30-12, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm going to start with Cabin in the Woods, mainly because the blu-ray has been sitting on my player openly mocking me for a few weeks now.
Old 09-30-12, 09:20 PM

Started with The Mummy. About to put Kuroneko on and what do you know, Trick 'r Treat is on Logo. Makes the night easy as Kuroneko just gets pushed back and I don't have to figure out something else at midnight.
Old 09-30-12, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

For such a critically acclaimed movie The Birds takes it's time to get going.

Edit:...but around 72 minutes in it's pure gold.
Originally Posted by SterlingBen
What is this secret list I found that involves Chud II & Spookies, Chad? What are you hiding from us!
Secret list?!?
I think I'm going to start off with House of 1000 Corpses tonight...
I've got House of 1000 Corpses on my list for tonight too, I haven't seen it since in the theater but enjoyed it then (although it is far from original) so an looking forward to revisiting. The bit were Captain Spaulding (spelling?) points a gun right into the camera and looks down stood out to me back then and the strong start with the tourist trap attraction. I found Devil's Rejects to be a weak follow-up to this mediocre first but it's been a while, I'll post my thoughts after re-visiting.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 09-30-12 at 09:40 PM.
Old 09-30-12, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
For such a critically acclaimed movie The Birds takes it's time to get going.
That's to set up the psychological dynamics between the various characters in order to bring them into play during the 'fright' sequences later in the film.
Old 09-30-12, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Double-checked my times for 'dusk' because it was brought up.

New start time is 7:20pm!

Not that 32 minute head start even mattered. I've never hit 100, don't care about cheating.

All I want is to indulge in my love of Horror films/movies for one full month, almost non-stop.
What's this dusk thing that I keep hearing about?
Old 09-30-12, 09:30 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Well, dusk sure took its sweet time getting to my neck of the woods. Worked up to things this past week by watching The Walking Dead: Season 2 and American Horror Story. After I cleaned out the DVR of everything but horror movies I recorded for October.

This year, I've started things off with Kuroneko. First time viewing for me.
Old 09-30-12, 09:32 PM

I turned off the football game for the first half, and filled the time with Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer for the first time. I've seen the beginning of this movie about 3 or 4 times, but something has always come up, and I never got to finish it. I am glad I finally did, though, as it's a disturbing little flick. Very gritty and raw. My only complaint is that the director could have given us more facts about the duo and made an even grizzlier film. That, and the fact that the acting outside the three leads was horrendous. Otherwise, I liked it. Great way to kick things off.
Old 09-30-12, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

I missed it myself, but did anyone watch 666 Park Avenue tonight for the Horror Movie Challenge?
Old 09-30-12, 09:55 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

Another equipment failure! Get home from work a bit after dusk and start Fiend Without a Face with my daughter Elise. It's not her type of film (too old), but she'll do anything to stay up past her bedtime. We're about 20 minutes in, and the power goes out! The storm had passed by hours before, so not sure what happened, but the whole neighborhood was out. Thirty minutes go by with nary a flicker, so I'm thinking my plan to get two Criterion horrors in by midnight will fail, and not finishing Kuroneko by midnight would have thrown me off the subset list for the whole month. My iPad and phone are almost out of battery, so no streaming; and I can't find any flashlights either.

Start to get depressed and plan to just go to bed, but remember that my laptop is charged and has a BD player. So I switch gears and watch Kuroneko, finishing this wonderful film just as my laptop hits 10% battery. Whew!

Now the power is back on so I'm back to Fiend Without a Face and perhaps some of Haxan; but Elise is screaming bloody murder that she has to go to bed and I get to stay up watching more. Where's that set of ear plugs and the Mountain Dew.....?
Old 09-30-12, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I missed it myself, but did anyone watch 666 Park Avenue tonight for the Horror Movie Challenge?
I DVR'd it. After an extremely sunny day at the pumpkin patch, Once Upon A Time was about all of the TV I could handle tonight. Going to try to cure this headache by heading to bed. Will start the challenge tomorrow.
Old 09-30-12, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by LickTheABCs
I'm going to start with Cabin in the Woods, mainly because the blu-ray has been sitting on my player openly mocking me for a few weeks now.
That's my kick-off after work tomorrow. The wife and I have a friend coming over, so I want to start with something that we've seen but the friend hasn't. After that, anything goes.
Old 09-30-12, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
Start to get depressed and plan to just go to bed, but remember that my laptop is charged and has a BD player. So I switch gears and watch Kuroneko, finishing this wonderful film just as my laptop hits 10% battery. Whew!

Now the power is back on so I'm back to Fiend Without a Face and perhaps some of Haxan; but Elise is screaming bloody murder that she has to go to bed and I get to stay up watching more. Where's that set of ear plugs and the Mountain Dew.....?
wow what an experience, good thing your power is back on now hopefully you get to watch the rest without issues and peace. I was exactly like elise when I was younger especially because if the parents didn't give in I would just sneak down once my parents went up to bed to watch tales of the crypt which my mom caught me on numerous occasions. I even made a closet fort at one point with a small VHS player tv that I also got busted in when I was a little older haha.
Old 09-30-12, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by shadokitty
this should be on regular hulu soon, abc tends to post quickly on there that's probably where I'll watch it because I'm focusing on movies tonight and the dvr is full of sunday football stuff that my boyfriend taped along with all the disney movies on abc fam today totally took advantage of that rarity.
Old 09-30-12, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by tarfrimmer
Well, dusk sure took its sweet time getting to my neck of the woods. Worked up to things this past week by watching The Walking Dead: Season 2 and American Horror Story. After I cleaned out the DVR of everything but horror movies I recorded for October.

This year, I've started things off with Kuroneko. First time viewing for me.
I also just watched a marathon of the walking dead season 2 the past few days so that I could start the walking dead season 3 soon when it starts and use it for the horror challenge and it definitely helped with the craving for horror before the challenge started tonight; talk about a morbid show but addicting at the same time.
Old 09-30-12, 10:20 PM

Does anyone know if there is a GetGlue sticker associated with this challenge? There is a "Check in to GetGlue" tag with a sticker above it in the first post of the threads that has me thinking there might be, but when I tried to check-in to it as "thinking about", it didn't work. Anyone know for sure?
Old 09-30-12, 10:25 PM

Started last night with White Dog (1982), which I thought was cheesy, but fun. Got in a few more shorter films before midnight, and then started October with V/H/S (2012), which I've been saving for months for this challenge. I liked it, but found it kinda disappointing as well (and the pacing sucked). I watched it with earphones, alone in a dark room which helped make it a bit creepier and I did kinda poop myself a few times. The 'forest' segment was awful though

Thought I'd join in with discussion a bit this year. Came 5th in the challenge last year, but didn't post here at all. So, hi!
Old 09-30-12, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts

I kicked off with Resident Evil: Damnation. Funny, it was a Japanese production, and the director, technical staff, etc... were Japanese, but all the mo-cap actors were American or European.

A very good follow up to Degeneration and nice change of pace from the live-action series.
Old 09-30-12, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
I've got House of 1000 Corpses on my list for tonight too, I haven't seen it since in the theater but enjoyed it then (although it is far from original) so an looking forward to revisiting. The bit were Captain Spaulding (spelling?) points a gun right into the camera and looks down stood out to me back then and the strong start with the tourist trap attraction. I found Devil's Rejects to be a weak follow-up to this mediocre first but it's been a while, I'll post my thoughts after re-visiting.
You didn't enjoy The Devil's Rejects as much? I loved that film!

I think House of 1000 Corpses is a lot more appealing visually, but as a film I enjoy the sequel a lot more.

There is so much to look at in the first film. I just finished it and I found myself just being in awe of the set design!

Originally Posted by JOE29
What's this dusk thing that I keep hearing about?
This year the Challenge starts at Dusk on 9/30. Local times vary!
Old 09-30-12, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

After watching Panic Beats I caught the just under 20 minute Mondo Macabro featurette on Spanish horror films and that got me wondering if there's any feature-length docs in the works and, well, apparently there is:

Now on to the vastly underrated and underappreciated classic Island of Lost Souls. I also sense a viewing of BBC's History of Horror in my immediate future.

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Guh?

Originally Posted by Psymin1
Does anyone know if there is a GetGlue sticker associated with this challenge? There is a "Check in to GetGlue" tag with a sticker above it in the first post of the threads that has me thinking there might be, but when I tried to check-in to it as "thinking about", it didn't work. Anyone know for sure?
As much as I'd love to say yes, sadly there is not. That's just a little Photoshop trickery from yours truly that's just for looks. I even contacted them to ask if that were possible and their response was it's only for TV, movies and sports at the moment.
Old 09-30-12, 11:08 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

Anndddd now begins the month long party with Blacula!
Old 09-30-12, 11:47 PM

Just getting home from watching the blue man group and then the New York Giants game at a bar..Really wanted to start at midnight. Guess within the 12o'clock isnt that bad. Plan to watch 3 films back to back to back till its time for work. Staring with The Orphan Killer, Zombie and Attack the block. Here we goooo!!!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.