Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

What Happened to the Trade-In Market?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-12, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
Re: What Happened to the Trade-In Market?

Originally Posted by shredking9000
Now I open any discs I get as soon as I can.
Recently I've been selling discs I bought 10+ years agos, now OOP and never opened for $50-80 a piece. Then rebuying a used copy for $15-20.
Old 09-30-12, 09:26 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattflix
It definitely sucks. But on the other hand, the prices to purchase used DVD's have equally dropped, so that works just as well.

Back when you could safely resell your DVD's for at least a few dollars, you'd still have to shell out closer to $10 if you wanted to buy used. Now you can take $20 to Amazon and come out with a bunch of discs.

It's definitely not worth it to try to trade-in your old DVD's at this point though. I sold a box of about 50 DVD's to Amazon for a total of about $38, and on top of that I had to pay $8 for UPS packing. It's not worth the time to do all that. So now if I'm getting rid of discs I just post on Facebook and ask if any of my friends want them.
That's my plan/thinking as well. A title has to be worth $30 or more for me to go to the bother of listing/selling/packing/shipping it. 99% of everything I get rid of I just give away or sell to friends for a few bucks.
Old 09-30-12, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's easier these days to just list all your dvd's that you want to trade in on EBAY as a lot. I recently saw a lot of 300 titles going for over 350$, which isn't that bad anymore.

Craigslist is an option too. Sites like amazon aren't going to give you what they are worth, well, because they need to make money too.
Old 09-30-12, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattflix
Streaming is definitely impacting this market. Personally, it's saved me a lot of money. I used to blind-buy everything. Now everything gets a shot via Netflix first. And the only movies I buy now are the ones that I really, really love. I used to buy movies that I thought I might possibly like. Now I only keep the cream of the crop that I know I'll rewatch.

And remember that we here are all hardcore collectors. Average Joe doesn't care about owning a library of choice selections, he views movies as a fun way to kill a couple hours. Netflix is all most people need.
Electricity, physical media, and a device that just needs electricity to play physical medium is the way I like it where I am in control. I don't care to have it all rest in the cloud and in some bozo's hands where all they need to do is say the word to shut it down...and it's all gone. MSN music anyone?

I'm for physical media forever! I hate how Netflix forces you buy a streaming plan, and THEN decided to add on the disc rental option.
Old 09-30-12, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by shredking9000
I used to wait until I was ready to watch something to open it, until I went to watch Ghoulies(1 and 2) a year after I bought it and found this ->tinypic.com/view.php?pic=rtfho1&s=6 in the case. Now I open any discs I get as soon as I can.
Yeah, I've had one bad incident so far like that but overall gains have still made it more profitable to risk it.
Old 09-30-12, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
That seems fair for a used price since it was about $9 when it came out new.
I only mentioned the price because Amoeba Music up the street would have charged the Ebay/Amazon Marketplace price of $25-32.
Old 09-30-12, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Never, ever sell an item to a business. They need to resell it for a profit, so they're going to buy it for as little as possible. While the 10 cent used price for Indian Jones BD probably has to do with Amazon simply having too much stock right now, there are also, always, morons who will sell it for that amount. "Ten cents is better than nothing. I'll take it!"

Probably half my DVDs would sell for $1 or less. Why even bother for that amount? If there's a title that you know you will never watch again, give it to a friend and get some generosity points. Or a charity for some karma points. Just don't give a (somewhat) valuable product to a business who will profit from it after they shafted you with their shitty trade in credit.
Old 10-02-12, 09:36 AM

The only decent trade-in deal I've used in recent memory is the Best Buy $5 dvd-for-bluray thing. I've used that several times this year. Excellent and rare deal. Ordinary dvds are pretty worthless now. I've long since given up trying to sell them at a place like Half Price; which pays pennies on the dollar and makes ridiculous profits even on their "bargain" $3 dvds. (Funny how that bargain price has hardly ever budged downward.) I'd rather give my dvds away.
Old 10-03-12, 09:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by starseed1981
The prices aren't insulting at all. Its simple supply and demand. The medium as a whole is on the decline. You're best bet is to donate them and get some type of tax write off imho.
Or sell to DVDTALK members.
Old 10-03-12, 03:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I believe the reason you sometimes see Amazon listing a new title for trade-in at 10 cents is because it really hasn't hit the system yet for determining a market value. So it defaults to 10 cents. Wait a few weeks and it will adjust. You may also find some titles still on pre-order on the trade-in site listed the same way.

What I do with many of my old DVD titles that I have upgraded to blu-ray (and their trade-in value is less then $1), is to stick them into a sleeve and put them in the blu-ray case. The insert bracket that many cases have holds the sleeve just fine. It doesn't take up any extra space and I've have an alternative for viewing just in case a blu-ray player isn't handy.
Old 10-03-12, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by drmar35mm
The only decent trade-in deal I've used in recent memory is the Best Buy $5 dvd-for-bluray thing. I've used that several times this year. Excellent and rare deal. Ordinary dvds are pretty worthless now. I've long since given up trying to sell them at a place like Half Price; which pays pennies on the dollar and makes ridiculous profits even on their "bargain" $3 dvds. (Funny how that bargain price has hardly ever budged downward.) I'd rather give my dvds away.
I plan on doing this for the first time next week when it starts again. Most of the ones I want to get rid of are titles that I double dipped on or bought on blu-ray. They just take up space and completely useless. I also feel stupid for buying titles like The Mummy SE on dvd, never getting around to watching it, and now I have it on blu-ray because it was only 5 bucks. So I have a sealed copy that I never got any value from it.

I can't even go in reverse by watching then selling the blu-ray since the blu-ray has no resell/trade value either.
Old 10-03-12, 04:44 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amazon had a good trade in price for the James Bond Ultimate Collector's DVD Set of $97.50 in like new condition last week. Traded mine in and bought the blu-ray set while they had it on sale. Checked today and they are only offering $43 for the same set. They must have been bombarded with people trading in that set.
Old 10-04-12, 04:15 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Lt Ripley
Amazon had a good trade in price for the James Bond Ultimate Collector's DVD Set of $97.50 in like new condition last week. Traded mine in and bought the blu-ray set while they had it on sale. Checked today and they are only offering $43 for the same set. They must have been bombarded with people trading in that set.

Nice deal! I really hate that they always list the New condition value. I just checked one of my ultimate James bond dvd sets and they were offering 20 bucks which isn't bad.

BUt that's for brand new and factory sealed. I hit the trade in, and the Like New condition is 3 bucks. Forget that.
Old 10-04-12, 05:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
Nice deal! I really hate that they always list the New condition value. I just checked one of my ultimate James bond dvd sets and they were offering 20 bucks which isn't bad.

BUt that's for brand new and factory sealed. I hit the trade in, and the Like New condition is 3 bucks. Forget that.
Yeah, it was aggravating the first time I jumped on there. Saw $9 as the price, then you click on it and it is only $0.50 in like new condition. WTF. Seems like 1 out of every 10 is worth actually trading in through them.
Old 10-05-12, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by asianxcore
That could be it. I normally go to the Berkeley Rasputin store because I've always gotten great deals there. At the very least the store prices OOP Horror/Exploitation pretty well

Last year I found a sealed copy of Last House on Dead End Street (Barrel Entertainment) for only $13.95!

Also found The Entity (Anchor Bay) for $3.95!

If it had been Amoeba Music up the street, I'm sure they would have looked up the pricing. Though I did find the R2 UK Santa Sangre (Anchor Bay) at that Amoeba for $9.99, but they always price their non-R1 DVDs to sell since its a small amount of what gets traded in and not many 'usual' customers have Region-Free players. Sames goes for Rasputin Records when they get them in.
I've been only to the Amoebas at Haight/Ashbury and on sunset in hollywood. Love that place, paradise. Mostly I've gotten rare cd's and some dvds. Need to explore it more.
Old 10-05-12, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by WOODPRODUCTIONS
I've been only to the Amoebas at Haight/Ashbury and on sunset in hollywood. Love that place, paradise. Mostly I've gotten rare cd's and some dvds. Need to explore it more.
I've been to that one as well! It's a mecca of physical media for sure.

I was there 2 months ago, while visiting a friend in Orange County. You can definitely find some hidden gems/prices there, but almost everything I found/wanted was priced pretty high.

The biggest deals I saw in terms of DVDs where the non-R1 DVDs, which were completely priced to sell (obvious, given the limited market at these stores). They had the Optimum Hammer Horror box set for ~$42, which wasn't too shabby but the box looked like it had been kicked down the block.
Old 10-06-12, 09:55 AM
Zbu

It's because everybody jumped on the trade-in market and flooded it. I know I cleaned out a lot of stock I had a few years back and made a mint on Amazon credit. I tried that a few months ago and got back my discs with annoying stickers on them so they couldn't be traded back in when the price inevitably went back up.

I think the people who were running the trade-in stuff overestimated the resale value of the product, and now realize they were jacking people and are now stuck with tons of useless backstock. Take a look at any resale bin around and you'll see tons of movies nobody wanted to buy at all combined with a few deals with some flaw.
Old 10-08-12, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Zbu
I think the people who were running the trade-in stuff overestimated the resale value of the product, and now realize they were jacking people and are now stuck with tons of useless backstock. Take a look at any resale bin around and you'll see tons of movies nobody wanted to buy at all combined with a few deals with some flaw.
Yup. Video game stores especially found themselves with stock they couldn't shake. Most places I visited had the exact same discs seemingly forever, nobody was buying them and they had to stop accepting stock.
Old 10-12-12, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Well if anyone has any discs they want to give away (or sell), you can always swing them my way
Old 10-19-12, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by rw2516
Recently I've been selling discs I bought 10+ years agos, now OOP and never opened for $50-80 a piece. Then rebuying a used copy for $15-20.
True... Perfect example, had an unopened copy of Transformers the Movie in my collection a couple years ago. Low and behold the amazon marketplace had them over $130 at that time, took and sold it quickly. Turned around and bought the import region free blu ray of the movie for about 20-25.

Most of the time now I either trade in at Moviestop (if the trade in value is over a buck, four of those trades will get you a new dvd release free, then that can be traded in immediately upon pick up) for about $13 credit. I ALSO use the Upgrade and save deal quite often on the titles that didnt get anything from moviestop ($.06 for some titles? REALLY?)
Old 10-19-12, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I still see some of the used places adjusting to this, Half Price Books especially. Their main selection (the stuff on the wall) still commands somewhat higher prices than you might expect (especially their Blurays), but they also have the rolling carts by the checkout lanes with DVDs for $1 a piece.

So instead of everything being cheap, they're actually taking the time to sort the chaff from the wheat. The continued higher prices of the Criterion sets are proof of that, although I found Robinson Crusoe on Mars for $10 the other day.
Old 10-20-12, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
It depends on what you have. I never bother to open my stuff until the first time I get around to watching them. Many times it takes so long before I get to them that they've either gone OOP and are worth selling, or a blu-ray has come out and I can still unload the dvd as new. In oddball cases, I'll have something like Captain America on blu-ray and then I ordered the Avengers set and sold Captain off for a good price, since he hasn't gone down much.
This is what I do too.

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32

And this is WHY I do it.
Old 10-20-12, 07:34 PM

I think the place that's worst about ripping you off is FYE.

It's one thing for a place to give you .50 for a DVD and turn around and sell it for $3-$5 but FYE will buy a DVD from you for .50 and sell it for $8 or $9. That may not be the deal for every DVD but on multiple occasions I would see something that I had sold for maybe a dollar or two show up on the shelf for $12.99 or something ridiculous like that.

I haven't seen their prices going down all that much. To me unless it's out of print or something crazy, a used single-disc DVD should be no more than $5 or $6.

And here's another thing that bugs me (and this mainly applies to FYE and Hastings), just because a DVD is OOP doesn't mean it is worth tons. Most of the time even after the price has dropped online they still charge way too much simply for the fact that it's OOP. Before the newest reissues of the Bond movies came out on DVD I went looking for On Her Majesty's Secret Service. Amazon had the first single-disc special edition priced for around $6 used. I came across a copy at Hastings for $12.99. I guarantee they didn't pay more than a dollar or two for it.