Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-12, 08:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/3

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Once again, I have purchased more films for the challenge. Just got:

Below
Frankenstein: The True Story
The Orphanage

All three are blind buys based on recommendations here and elsewhere.

I don't know if I'll be able to hold out until October as I'm anxious to watch several of these new films.

Current "unwatched/unopened" pile horror count is at 141 films and rising...
I really like "Below," and "The Orphanage" is awesome.
Old 09-08-12, 09:19 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/3

Originally Posted by Darkgod
Thanks for he well wishes
By any chance did you type this reply on an iPad? My iPad misses my 't' when typing 'the' all the time.
Originally Posted by edwardnortonfan
I really like "Below," and "The Orphanage" is awesome.
Amen.
Old 09-08-12, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

On my iPhone
Old 09-08-12, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Horror month is almost here again, the best month of the year it's a wonderful thing.
Old 09-08-12, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by JOE29
Horror month is almost here again, the best month of the year it's a wonderful thing.

I agree. Halloween has always been my favorite holiday, and this challenge was the first challenge I ever did.
Old 09-08-12, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

have we started tossing around titles for the films each day/themes/etc.?

I'd like to suggest Chillerama
Old 09-09-12, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
have we started tossing around titles for the films each day/themes/etc.?

I'd like to suggest Chillerama
I know i remember seeing a theme day list somewhere in this thread but don't think the daily picks were started yet, but either way fully support your pick simply due to anthologies are always fun *well with a few exceptions like deadtime story* and minus Sullivan's story I really enjoyed the other ones and really can one watch wadzilla enough?
Old 09-09-12, 04:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

VHSCollector.com has an amusing list of their top 16 most valuable horror VHS tapes.

Speaking of Frankenhooker, there's obvious reference to The Brain that Wouldn't Die (1962) so with similar plot I've always wondered if Frankenhooker was intended as a remake/reimagining or if the eyeball creature was just a homage. Either way, Brain that Wouldn't Die is a worthy film that makes an interesting companion to FH.

I checked last years thread and daily subset film recommendations didn't start until at least after September 16th; couldn't find the exact start. Chillerama is a good pick.

I also just noticed IMDB.com has a category listing for "lawnmower" films.

The Orphanage rules.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 09-09-12 at 06:05 AM.
Old 09-09-12, 05:25 AM

I would like to suggest the Mothers Day remake if you will. Very different from the original. Keeps you entertain with the home invasion/tourture elements. Happy it was release just recently. Im sure for the ones who havent seen it, will enjoy it . Nice steller cast too.
Old 09-09-12, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Surprised to see no mention of Screams of a Winter Night or Hauntedween, both very rare and go for big bucks whenever they pop up. Coincidentally enough, I finally caught up with both during last year's challenge thanks to people uploading them on Youtube. The former has since become my favorite anthology film with a truly unnerving wraparound segment. The VHS I paid the most for were Night Ripper, Sledgehammer (before the DVD came out) and Mirage (1990).
Old 09-09-12, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Speaking of Frankenhooker, there's obvious reference to The Brain that Wouldn't Die (1962) so with similar plot I've always wondered if Frankenhooker was intended as a remake/reimagining or if the eyeball creature was just a homage. Either way, Brain that Wouldn't Die is a worthy film that makes an interesting companion to FH.

I have The Brain that Wouldn't Die, and when I read the plot of Frankenhooker, It occured to me how similar the plots sounded.
Old 09-09-12, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

...Speaking of Frankenhooker, there's obvious reference to The Brain that Wouldn't Die (1962) so with similar plot I've always wondered if Frankenhooker was intended as a remake/reimagining or if the eyeball creature was just a homage...
Originally Posted by shadokitty
I have The Brain that Wouldn't Die, and when I read the plot of Frankenhooker, It occured to me how similar the plots sounded.
According to Allmovie.com:
[The Brain that Wouldn't Die] helped provide the inspiration for '80s horror/comedy director Frank Henenlotter's Frankenhooker and Basket Case 2. The former includes a decapitated woman restored to life by her lover, while the latter features both a cameo from Brain star Jason Evers and another character who looks like the twin brother of the monster under the stairs.
and
[Frankenhooker] basically re-imagines The Brain That Wouldn't Die as a quickie softcore sex comedy.
Those 2 quotes really make me want to pickup a copy of Frankenhooker as I have the Synapse pressing of The Brain that Wouldn't Die (best version I've seen of that one, plus it's unedited).
Old 09-09-12, 01:59 PM

Just had iced pumpkin coffee from Dunkin Donuts and I think I found the official drink of the challenge for me.

I'm currently working overtime with six 12-hour shifts each week which is running hell on my Criterion challenge (I decided I didn't want to watch those movies on my little Youtube player at work), but it will give me a big chunk of funds for a big order of fresh movies for October as well as let us get in our first trip to Sleepy Hollow, NY.
Old 09-09-12, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dcrw6
let us get in our first trip to Sleepy Hollow, NY.
great place to visit this time of year if you get a chance the great Jack o Latern Blaze is alot of fun

i tried starving myself of horror this month but broke down last night being that i have 200 titles on my netflix que and most being horror i broke down and watched a couple titles last night.

where has Faust been all my life
Old 09-09-12, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SethDLH
That's awesome. I never had a real horror host on a regular basis... at least that I knew/know about. Anyone know if the Baltimore area has one?
Check your public access channels. We have one in my area but it's pretty lame. Some flat chested girl in her early 20s, trying to look like Elvira but not doing much in terms of hosting. Just starts the movie and then a portion of the screen is taken to display facts of the film. The few times she shows up, she just talks in a low, slow voice to be spooky or something.

But that's the beauty of public access. Anyone can have a show.
Old 09-10-12, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

I think I am in this year. Need to see more horror, what better time than this October?

Thought this might be interesting:

http://dinosaurdracula.com/features/...h-vhs-designs/

Hell, maybe that guy would be interested in doing this challenge.
Old 09-10-12, 01:22 AM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by terrycloth
where has Faust been all my life
Do you mean the one from 1926?
Old 09-10-12, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Great read. Thank you!

Hopefully the sales on Horror DVDs & Blu-Rays will be better this year!
Old 09-10-12, 07:49 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

I was starting to worry, but got a PM from Chad!
Old 09-10-12, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Hopefully the sales on Horror DVDs & Blu-Rays will be better this year!
Agreed. I don't recall finding much in the way of a bargain last year.
Old 09-10-12, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cwileyy
Do you mean the one from 1926?
actually the one i watched was the one from early 90s? i believe was fun cheese i actually noticed i have the 26 movie in my que also going to check that out soon too.

glad theres been word from chad that everything going good.

anyone have any special plans for next month during the challenge?

last weekend of sept Im heading down to philly and lancaster, Pa to goto Eastern State Penn and Pennhurst. Still looking up things in lancaster but was rec Jason's Woods.

Also looking foward to meeting Kirkman in NY Comic Con.
Old 09-10-12, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

anyone have any special plans for next month during the challenge?

last weekend of sept Im heading down to philly and lancaster, Pa to goto Eastern State Penn and Pennhurst. Still looking up things in lancaster but was rec Jason's Woods.

Also looking foward to meeting Kirkman in NY Comic Con.
Going to start things out a few days early with Monster Mania in Hunt Valley, MD (Baltimore suburb) and meet Asia Argento and Camille Keaton. Then in October I'm going to a haunted house/hayride (not sure which one yet) but it will likely be in the Baltimore or York, PA area. My friends and I have a pumpkin carving party every year, so there will be some cool carvings. I haven't decided what to do. Last year I did Lon Chaney Jr's Wolf Man. And on the last Saturday of the month we're having a Halloween party.
Old 09-10-12, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
...got a PM from Chad!
Good news! I imagine Chad is avoiding public posting to minimize spewing typo ridden pain killer induced nonsense.
Originally Posted by J. Farley
Surprised to see no mention of Screams of a Winter Night or Hauntedween, both very rare and go for big bucks whenever they pop up. Coincidentally enough, I finally caught up with both during last year's challenge thanks to people uploading them on Youtube. The former has since become my favorite anthology film with a truly unnerving wraparound segment.
With a recommendation like that I will have to check out Screams of a Winter Night. Too bad Haunted-ween it not on YouTube anymore and torrent search is unsuccessful.
Originally Posted by dcrw6
Just had iced pumpkin coffee from Dunkin Donuts and I think I found the official drink of the challenge for me...
I like Starbucks slightly better myself but for kicks I wonder if Dunkin Donuts sells their pumpkin iced coffee in gallon sizes (DD is cheaper after all). If anyone sponsors this challenge it should be one of those huge coffeehouses, with the profit they make off us.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 09-10-12 at 02:39 PM.
Old 09-10-12, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SethDLH
Going to start things out a few days early with Monster Mania in Hunt Valley, MD (Baltimore suburb) and meet Asia Argento and Camille Keaton. Then in October I'm going to a haunted house/hayride (not sure which one yet) but it will likely be in the Baltimore or York, PA area. My friends and I have a pumpkin carving party every year, so there will be some cool carvings. I haven't decided what to do. Last year I did Lon Chaney Jr's Wolf Man. And on the last Saturday of the month we're having a Halloween party.
I was suppose to head down for that show but got replaced with the philly trip *as its been a tradition with my friends for yrs and was the only weekend one of them could get off* i was really looking foward to meeting Asia Argento and adding her autograph to the collection then the recent addition of Emily Kinney.

hopefully you have a great time man!
Old 09-10-12, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I was suppose to head down for that show but got replaced with the philly trip *as its been a tradition with my friends for yrs and was the only weekend one of them could get off* i was really looking foward to meeting Asia Argento and adding her autograph to the collection then the recent addition of Emily Kinney.

hopefully you have a great time man!
Thanks! I will become a blabbering idiot when I meet Asia, I'm sure of it. Have fun at Eastern State Pen., I've always wanted to do that tour.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.