Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Has Anyone Ever Sold Or Almost Sold Their Entire Collection - Maybe For Your Own Good

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Has Anyone Ever Sold Or Almost Sold Their Entire Collection - Maybe For Your Own Good

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-12, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Of course the odds of someone being here that sold off their entire collection may be slim, however some have really slimmed down their collection, sold the entire thing or most of it to rebuy everything later and sure some have thought about it for different reasons yet could just not do it.

Selling off an entire collection may be a money issue, however so many films have almost no real value, a dollar at times? Is it even worth it to sell off a bunch of movies you enjoy for such a small return?

For ones own good would be if they felt their collection was getting in the way, that there are always movies being released and they just keep adding to it year after year to what end, so to stop the madness they sell off their entire collection or at least most of it.

There was one time I sold about half of what I had which was about a hundred movies and then went and bought them again over time (have to find films for cheap) Not like they are going anywhere, more likely is they would be even cheaper down the line. It is also one of those things that would take a lot of time to rebuilt if you regret it.
Old 08-15-12, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 330 Likes on 201 Posts
Re: Has Anyone Ever Sold Or Almost Sold Their Entire Collection - Maybe For Your Own

I sold off my entire collection of CDs when the iPod came out.
Old 08-15-12, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Has Anyone Ever Sold Or Almost Sold Their Entire Collection - Maybe For Your Own

Nope, never sold one of mine. I think I probably have over 5000 titles, it might be more.
Old 08-15-12, 07:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Xiroteus
Of course the odds of someone being here that sold off their entire collection may be slim, however some have really slimmed down their collection, sold the entire thing or most of it to rebuy everything later and sure some have thought about it for different reasons yet could just not do it.

Selling off an entire collection may be a money issue, however so many films have almost no real value, a dollar at times? Is it even worth it to sell off a bunch of movies you enjoy for such a small return?

For ones own good would be if they felt their collection was getting in the way, that there are always movies being released and they just keep adding to it year after year to what end, so to stop the madness they sell off their entire collection or at least most of it.

There was one time I sold about half of what I had which was about a hundred movies and then went and bought them again over time (have to find films for cheap) Not like they are going anywhere, more likely is they would be even cheaper down the line. It is also one of those things that would take a lot of time to rebuilt if you regret it.
Bro I definately can I dentify with the situation you describe!!! Been there...Done that. Yes I know it all too well-
Old 08-15-12, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by smurr05
Bro I definately can I dentify with the situation you describe!!! Been there...Done that. Yes I know it all too well-
It can really be a mixed bag, I want to do this, I should do this or what for my own good, I already sold off a handful of sets because they had some value, dollars dvds just feels like more work down the line if I change my mind. Ah, the joys of collections.
Old 08-15-12, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've sold off or traded roughly 14% of my collection in the last two years, which amounts to about 400 titles, all DVDs. I'm pretty much done paring down now though, unless any further discs go OOP for big bucks on the secondary market.
Old 08-15-12, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

About a year or two after getting into collecting dvds, I sold a bunch of discs. Money was getting a bit tight and I felt that I would never re-watch those particular titles anyway. I almost immediately regretted doing so and vowed to never do it again. Been going strong ever since.
Old 08-15-12, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Once in a while I'll cull out one or two after re-watching it and decide "Nah!" and decide to sell it. But that's few and far between. Still adding!
Old 08-15-12, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sold off/gave away my entire VHS collection in 2000 and replaced them with DVD's. It was for my own good.
Old 08-15-12, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've probably sold somewhere between 100 to 200 DVDs within the past three-years.

Some were upgraded to Blu-rays, others weren't.
Old 08-15-12, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by NoirFan
I've sold off or traded roughly 14% of my collection in the last two years, which amounts to about 400 titles, all DVDs. I'm pretty much done paring down now though, unless any further discs go OOP for big bucks on the secondary market.
Reminds me of what I have done with comics on the off change some are worth something, once a lot was worth a few hundred and the collected editions were a fraction of that, sold!

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
About a year or two after getting into collecting dvds, I sold a bunch of discs. Money was getting a bit tight and I felt that I would never re-watch those particular titles anyway. I almost immediately regretted doing so and vowed to never do it again. Been going strong ever since.
Some extra cash never hurts, part of me is not thrilled with collections that you always have to add to because something good is always coming out and then I start thinking keep adding more to what end, never have time for them all. Likely would still regret it, all that time to gain a collection just to sell it off for so much less. (And that is even buying so much for cheap)

Originally Posted by joliom
I sold off/gave away my entire VHS collection in 2000 and replaced them with DVD's. It was for my own good.
I never had many, I was HAPPY to get rid of those, never cared all that much for them.
Old 08-16-12, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,429 Likes on 1,043 Posts

I've rarely made money off re-sells. I sold my Sleepaway Camp box because I got it on release day cheap, watched the first movie, and had no desire to watch the rest, and sold it years later for a few extra bucks.

But there's been plenty of times I've culled the herd of junk titles and I rarely made money off of them. I'm a lot more picky now about what I buy, so there's not much more to get rid of honestly.
Old 08-16-12, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

At some point, when I retire (not that far away), I'd like to donate some of my books, VHS tapes and DVDs to libraries and media centers that would make use of them, but I don't know how to identify such places.
Old 08-17-12, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I've managed to find a nice balance between collecting and hoarding - my for sale list remains pleasingly small. Barring a catastrophic life change, my discs aren't going anywhere. I have a massive collection of books and music also - in the end they're just things. If I should die first, my wife has the same instruction with all my things: sell whatever you can and give away what you can't.
Old 08-17-12, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 399 Likes on 267 Posts

I'm constantly parring down my collection. I have roughly 1800 dvd's blu's. I've sold maybe around 300 since I started collecting. I do quite a bit of blind buying. So if I buy something and don't like it, I usually sell it or trade it in.
Old 08-18-12, 02:04 PM

I don't have the huge collections that dreams are made of that a lot of posters here have, so I wouldn't need to for hoarding reasons or anything like that. I do always sell the DVDs when I buy them on Blu Ray though, and if my tastes change I'll sell stock them up and trade them in for cash.
Old 08-19-12, 09:10 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The best thing I ever did was sell my entire collection. For years I would buy and amass a huge collection, then sell off a lot when it got out of hand. Then I would get the itch and buy back a lot of what I sold. I finally realized that I never watch any of them. I have ever movie channel out there, plus netflix, hulu, apple tv, amazon prime. Those were the only places I was actually watching. I now buy about a dozen movies a year digitally. No more clutter and my office is not floor to ceiling with dvd and blu movies. Did the same thing with my books when I got my kindle and my cd collection with my iPod.
Old 08-19-12, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I sold off the bulk of my collection (maybe 250 DVDs at the time) while out of work in 2001-2002. It paid my San Francisco Bay Area rent/expenses for about 3-4 months.

It was nearly all profit... most of the movies were bought during the internet deal boom (1997-2000) for pennies or free. What I did pay for was done with free Gift Certs or promos from various pay to do X deals on the web.

Nowadays DVDs aren't worth much. 90%+ of what I own would not be worth the effort to sell, I would donate them to the Library most likely. I doubt I would ever do so. I have about 900-1000 DVDs in sleeves (DiscSox) and they take up next to no space.
Old 08-19-12, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by beebs
I sold off the bulk of my collection (maybe 250 DVDs at the time) while out of work in 2001-2002. It paid my San Francisco Bay Area rent/expenses for about 3-4 months.

It was nearly all profit... most of the movies were bought during the internet deal boom (1997-2000) for pennies or free. What I did pay for was done with free Gift Certs or promos from various pay to do X deals on the web.

Nowadays DVDs aren't worth much. 90%+ of what I own would not be worth the effort to sell, I would donate them to the Library most likely. I doubt I would ever do so. I have about 900-1000 DVDs in sleeves (DiscSox) and they take up next to no space.
I sold off most of my collection in the early 2000's. Most of what I sold I could not get a fraction of that price today. The only regrets were some the the Disney tins, but for the most part, I made much more then than I would today.

I'm always selling off stuff that I upgrade to blu or that goes OOP. I have blind bought a lot over the years and much of it has gone unwatched, simply because of the volume at which I accumulate. It is hard for me to justify watching a movie that is worth 50 bucks when I don't even know if I'll like it ... and if you open it it loses 70% of its value. For example I sold off my copy of Dutch for around 50 bucks a few years ago. It has since been reprinted and is now worth a fraction of that. Furthermore, I found a used copy for 1.50 a couple of months back, so I'm happy.

The bad thing is I'm now starting to collect older versions of movies I already own. Some of those snappers have some great cover art that's not carried over to the newer versions. But this is only for movies I really love.
Old 08-21-12, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

2 for 1 blu-ray trades at Movie Stop keeps my collection in check. Theres always something coming out that I want more, than a random pickup I made. Plus I let a friend borrow everythinga after I watch. When I get them back it gives me a chance to rethink the purchase, before it goes on the shelf.
Old 08-21-12, 12:40 PM

Just about six months ago, I sold off a big chunk of my collection because of various issues (wife sick, needing to find employment, etc, I started a thread on here somewhere asking for advice even) and it hurt like hell. I'm not big on selling things because the collector bug runs through me pretty hardcore so it was a major thing for me to get over. I ended up selling about 120 Criterions, 200 blu-rays, and about 60 other various rare dvds all adding up to about $4,300. We were able to move and live on that for a couple of months until I got a job so it was worth it, though now the arduous task of getting those back bit by bit begins...
Old 08-21-12, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 132 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by dcrw6
I ended up selling about 120 Criterions, 200 blu-rays, and about 60 other various rare dvds all adding up to about $4,300. We were able to move and live on that for a couple of months until I got a job so it was worth it, though now the arduous task of getting those back bit by bit begins...
If you sold off 380 titles and averaged over $11 a piece, I would say you did pretty well in today's market.
Old 08-22-12, 10:32 AM

I've sold off chunk to streamline myself. I've got about 1300 DVD's, a huge majority of which barely every get rewatched. And I've been giving even less attention to my discs lately since I've been exploring new stuff via streaming.

A few months back I cleared out about 100 DVD's, pretty much anything that I decided that I'll never watch again. I used to blind buy a lot of random crap at Blockbuster previously viewed sales, like 3 DVD's for $25. So I had a lot of DVD's that were just taking up space, which also is an issue at this point.

Likewise I've also learned to be pickier on the movies I buy at all. Now I only buy movies that I absolutely loved, not stuff that I merely liked and might not rewatch in the long run.
Old 08-22-12, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by orangerunner
If you sold off 380 titles and averaged over $11 a piece, I would say you did pretty well in today's market.
Yeah, I spent a lot of time figuring out what would be worth selling, and then getting up the gumption to actually part with them. Only the 400 or so were worth anything out of the 5,500 I had. The rest just weren't worth messing with for such a low return and the trouble I'd have to go through replacing them.
Old 08-22-12, 01:38 PM

All of my DVDs are always listed for sale on craigslist. I prefer buying and selling used DVDs (as opposed to renting).

I'm somewhat surprised at the recent price decline (new and used). 5 years ago I was selling at $3 per DVD on craigslist. Currently selling at $1.50 each (pick and choose titles) and sometimes do not sell any DVDs for weeks.

DVDs listed in bulk lots go unsold at $1.00 per DVD (i.e. 45 DVDs for $45). My last few purchases on craigslist: 30 dvds @ $15, 90 DVDs @ $60, 54 DVDs @ $27.

Still waiting to start buying and selling Bluray. Prices have really dropped, but I'm not looking to take a bath if prices really collapse.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.