DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   bought a dvd only to find out i cant watch it (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/603950-bought-dvd-only-find-out-i-cant-watch.html)

bigluelok 08-13-12 06:00 PM

bought a dvd only to find out i cant watch it
 
so about a week ago I bought beautician and the beast and now i can't even watch it. it turns out it is a region 2 dvd and my dvd player can not play it. what can i do to watch it?

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 08-13-12 07:01 PM

Re: bought a dvd only to find out i cant watch it
 
Buy a region 2 player, buy a region free player, play it on your computer(you're allowed to change the region code on the DVD drive a few times before you can't do it anymore), return it and buy something that's region free, return it and buy something that's region 1.

adrenaline78 08-13-12 07:14 PM

Re: bought a dvd only to find out i cant watch it
 
read the specs before buying next time! That might save you some anguish.

DVDude! 08-13-12 07:38 PM

Re: bought a dvd only to find out i cant watch it
 

Originally Posted by adrenaline78 (Post 11345648)
read the specs before buying next time! That might save you some anguish.

I agree with this statement. I've been selling some older DVDs on Amazon Marketplace, including non-region 1 releases. I clearly state when the DVDs are from other regions and/or PAL. Inevitably, I get people buying who then complain because they cannot play them...

At any rate, search for your DVD player here and see if there's an easy hack to make it region free: www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks

rmw650 08-13-12 07:49 PM

Re: bought a dvd only to find out i cant watch it
 
If you already opened it, you might be able to exchange it for a region one title but next time, read the back of the package before you go out to buy the item or you can keep it and buy an inexpensive multi-region DVD player.

smurr05 08-14-12 06:24 AM

Re: bought a dvd only to find out i cant watch it
 

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers (Post 11345619)
Buy a region 2 player, buy a region free player, play it on your computer(you're allowed to change the region code on the DVD drive a few times before you can't do it anymore), return it and buy something that's region free, return it and buy something that's region 1.

I definately went ahead and bought a region free DVD player...a Pioneer for about $60.00 and it is excellent! SOOOO many titles over seas that are anamorphic versions of titles that are not anamorphic here and some great SE's that are not available over here. I highly reccomend getting one and see what the world has to offer in dvd selection!:D

jisham 08-14-12 06:47 AM

Re: bought a dvd only to find out i cant watch it
 
If you do play it on your computer, use VLC to play the disc. It doesn't require the hardware region flag to be changed.

Quatermass 08-14-12 12:37 PM

Re: bought a dvd only to find out i cant watch it
 
FWIW, that entire movie is on YouTube (broken into segments).

Ash Ketchum 08-14-12 12:47 PM

Re: bought a dvd only to find out i cant watch it
 

Originally Posted by smurr05 (Post 11346088)
I definately went ahead and bought a region free DVD player...a Pioneer for about $60.00 and it is excellent! SOOOO many titles over seas that are anamorphic versions of titles that are not anamorphic here and some great SE's that are not available over here. I highly reccomend getting one and see what the world has to offer in dvd selection!:D

Wow, my first DVD player was a Pioneer code-free player and it cost me $400. But that was back in 2001 and it's still working fine! Definitely a good deal.

Pizza 08-26-12 05:13 PM

Re: bought a dvd only to find out i cant watch it
 
If you got two DVD players in your computer you can
make one region 1 and the other region 2.

visitor Q 08-28-12 08:21 PM

Re: bought a dvd only to find out i cant watch it
 

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum (Post 11346510)
Wow, my first DVD player was a Pioneer code-free player and it cost me $400. But that was back in 2001 and it's still working fine! Definitely a good deal.

You obviously weren't looking hard enough or cared too much about the player quality. :) I remember buying a Cyberhome DVD300 years ago for $20. The player was modded via the remote. Ended up returning two of these things and called it a day. Some times you get what you pay for .....


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:42 AM.


Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.