DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   3rd Annual August Animation Challenge - Discussion Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/602916-3rd-annual-august-animation-challenge-discussion-thread.html)

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 07-24-12 09:33 AM

Re: 3rd Annual August Animation Challenge - Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 11318639)
Wait, what?! Not permitted.

I guess there's no reason I can't hold off till next year to decide.

Originally Posted by davidh777 (Post 11319078)
Understandable, and I don't think there's anything wrong with just going with a grand total since the numbers look better anyway. :) I'm with you on the difficulty of reaching 100--I think I've only done it for one or two challenges, and never when a two-hour movie was need to count as one. Fine with me for trying the new Peepers system.

I've managed to do it a couple times, three at most. Unless I've missed a spot, I don't have anything regarding reaching 100 in this or the sci-fi challenge. It's about as unofficial as you can get now but if someone really wanted to reach it, under the new rules it would be 6 days and 6 hours.

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 07-25-12 11:45 AM

List thread http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/60...st-thread.html

If you check the first post, you'll now see the prizes that Something Weird Video has offered.

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 07-25-12 04:05 PM

I've made some changes to the checklist. Things of any length count for any checklist entry. I've also added more items related to TV. The checklist will take effort but it's hardly impossible and that's what checklists are all about.

shadokitty 07-25-12 04:59 PM

Just got back from vacation, and saw this new discussion. I'm willing to to give it a try, but how would tyou do it for tv shows that you don't know the exact run time? Like half hour cartoons? I plan to watch a lot of anime which is mostly half hour eps during this challenge. BTW< back from vacation and still got on page 1 of the list thread :D

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 07-25-12 05:38 PM

Half hour shows normally run about 22 minutes. An hour show is double that. You can just use those times when you aren't sure.

LJG765 07-27-12 01:19 AM

Quick question: I recently DVR'd Frank and Ollie (the doc about 2 Disney animators). Would this count at all? I know I don't see a category for it, but would it work as a wildcard?

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 07-27-12 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by LJG765 (Post 11324609)
Quick question: I recently DVR'd Frank and Ollie (the doc about 2 Disney animators). Would this count at all? I know I don't see a category for it, but would it work as a wildcard?

I'd count it as a doc.

LJG765 07-28-12 12:00 AM

Thanks for the answer! Going back through the rules I see it's mentioned there, too.:blush: I swear I read the rules before I posted that question! I swear, sometimes my eyes gloss over what I am looking for on purpose!

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 07-28-12 12:36 PM

I wouldn't have been surprised if that didn't fall off the rules at some point. Things always seem to fall off between one year and the next.

Travis McClain 07-30-12 08:22 AM

I kinda forgot about the Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge, I think because while it was being discussed I was still hip deep in the Historical Appreciation Challenge, but I think I might be game for this one. A quick question: didn't we discuss last year combining the NC-17 and X ratings on the checklist since there are only a handful of eligible titles? Also: WTF is up with 100 commercials?!

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 07-30-12 08:28 AM

You only have to do 4 ratings for the checklist, which shouldn't be too hard, even with X and NC-17 combined.

Someone also mentioned that the checklist should have more things related to TV. Added a couple things and boom, 100 commercials. It shouldn't be too hard to do and it might also get people noticing how many of them use some form of animation.

shadokitty 07-30-12 08:34 AM

Well, the Animation Challenge starts tonight. Anyone have an idea of what they will start with? I know I probably want a sci fi anime to start with maybe to get double credit with the sci fi challenge, but exact title? I don't really know yet.

Ash Ketchum 07-30-12 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers (Post 11328085)
You only have to do 4 ratings for the checklist, which shouldn't be too hard, even with X and NC-17 combined.

Someone also mentioned that the checklist should have more things related to TV. Added a couple things and boom, 100 commercials. It shouldn't be too hard to do and it might also get people noticing how many of them use some form of animation.

Can we count the commercials that we fast-forward through? :D

terrycloth 07-30-12 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by shadokitty (Post 11328092)
Well, the Animation Challenge starts tonight. Anyone have an idea of what they will start with? I know I probably want a sci fi anime to start with maybe to get double credit with the sci fi challenge, but exact title? I don't really know yet.

i bought CLaymore on blu a couple years ago and have yet to watch so im gonna start with that tonight

Travis McClain 07-30-12 09:10 AM

Dunno how strong my participation will be anyway, especially since I've switched from Netflix to HuluPlus. There's some animation to be found, but most of it in TV rather than movies and I don't really like to just bounce around from show to show these days. However, I have been meaning to revisit Batman: The Animated Series since this is its 20th(!) anniversary year so I think I'll at least try to make my way through the first volume of that. I've also still got about half of She-Ra, Princess of Power - which I began last January for the TV on DVD* Challenge! At the very least, I want to finish off Season One, Volume Two of that.

I've also got a handful of Disney/Pixar Blus that I still haven't actually watched, though I've seen the films before: Bambi, Dumbo, The Incredibles and The Lion King. My animation library is actually down considerably since my wife took quite a lot of it. (Even worse is what little I have remaining for the Horror Challenge!) Still, I should have enough content to keep me at least semi-active.

shadokitty 07-30-12 12:00 PM

Friend who will be watching the animation with me, suggested The Real Ghostbusters, and I see when I looked under imdb, it does have a tag of both fantasy and sci fi under the full genre listing, so I may start with that tonight.

mrcellophane 07-30-12 01:28 PM

Since the overlap between the two challenges was announced, I've been keeping a few animated films for tomorrow. I hope to watch Odin: Photon Space Sailer Starlight and Afro Samurai. I may rewatch Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within.

shadokitty 07-31-12 11:50 AM

I'm going to be out of town tomorrow night, as I have appts two days in a row at a hospital 3 hours away from me for routine consults. Nothing serious, but the hospital official that made my appts thought it would be easier for me to stay overnight rather than travel 3 hours each way two days in a row, so they are putting me up in lodging. I am not staying in the hospital, but in a house they have set aside for ppl staying overnight for appts. I don't know how much I will be able to watch, but in case my room as a tv, I plan to take my dvd player, and if it does not have a tv, I am loading up my ipod and mp3 player with cartoons to watch to keep up with the challenge while I am out of town.

Travis McClain 07-31-12 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by shadokitty (Post 11329660)
I'm going to be out of town tomorrow night, as I have appts two days in a row at a hospital 3 hours away from me for routine consults. Nothing serious, but the hospital official that made my appts thought it would be easier for me to stay overnight rather than travel 3 hours each way two days in a row, so they are putting me up in lodging. I am not staying in the hospital, but in a house they have set aside for ppl staying overnight for appts. I don't know how much I will be able to watch, but in case my room as a tv, I plan to take my dvd player, and if it does not have a tv, I am loading up my ipod and mp3 player with cartoons to watch to keep up with the challenge while I am out of town.

Routine or not, I hope it all goes well! :)

shadokitty 07-31-12 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by MinLShaw (Post 11329875)
Routine or not, I hope it all goes well! :)

Ash Ketchum 08-01-12 06:49 AM

Mr. Peepers, I'm still confused by the proposed numbering system. Do we number each thing we see, no matter what the running time, or wait till we have enough to qualify as what used to be a full entry and then number that? I.e., do we number 4 eps. of a TV series as one number or number each episode? Also, do we round off to the nearest minute or count every second? I.e. do we count 23:40 as 24 min. or not?

Please look at the list thread and tell us who, if anyone, is doing it right. Right now there's no consistency and I'm the type who gets bothered by that.

Thanks.

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 08-01-12 10:13 AM

I'll check the list thread in a bit but there's no entries anymore. We're just counting running times and also keeping a grand total of running times. As for seconds, you can either keep track that precise or round up or down, depending on what you want to do.

I'm also out of town, so I'm mainly here in spirit right now.

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 08-01-12 10:18 AM

For the most part, lists look fine. The main thing to do is list what you watch and keep a grand running time total as the bare minimum.

terrycloth 08-01-12 12:11 PM

Im about 2/3 thru with Claymore and really enjoying it. I remember putting it in when I first got it and the way it was set up I figured it would be a monster of the week type show...glad i was wrong

up next im gonna go thru Supernatural the anima series and High School of the Dead

LJG765 08-01-12 06:34 PM

I know I didn't feel like counting last night, so I just put the running times down for now and the next time I list movies, I'll do the grand total. Kind of feel like I'm going to only count once a day.

I like to have a numbered list, so plan on numbering mine, but know it doesn't count that way.