DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   New DVD/BD copyright warning coming (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/601423-new-dvd-bd-copyright-warning-coming.html)

coyoteblue 05-09-12 01:58 PM

New DVD/BD copyright warning coming

Because customers aren't being sufficiently punished for buying legitimate goods. One is a combined FBI/ICE warning the other is a National Intellectual Property Rights Coordination Center 'educational', ie Big Media propaganda, notice. Both last for 10 seconds each. For all practical purposes an eternity.

More details at:

DVDs and Blu-rays will now carry two unskippable government warnings

milo bloom 05-09-12 02:03 PM

Re: New DVD/BD copyright warning coming

Just more incentive for me to learn how to rip my own DVDs that I already paid for and put them on a hard drive so I don't have to look at this shit.

Jedi Master 33 05-09-12 02:21 PM

By "educate", I assume they mean annoy and piss off everyone else.

Lt. Brannigan 05-09-12 02:24 PM

I really do get tired of these things especially since I legally bought them in the first place. But I guess that makes me a potential pirate.

Groucho 05-09-12 02:25 PM

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7I5dVBezF9k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1:47 in particular

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 05-09-12 05:25 PM

I was going to say, what the hell does immigration have to do with movies but then realized they also do customs.

Regulus 05-10-12 09:51 AM

IMHO we need to have the Copyright Laws OVERHAULED. There are many TV Series (such as Batman and The Wonder Years, among others) and Movies (Song of the South anyone?) the Studios REFUSE to release legitimately because of Legal FUBARs or "Political Correctness" Issues. :mad: As it stands now, most of us will be "Dust in the Wind" before these shows ever become Public Domain. People shouldn't have to turn to criminal acts just in order to see these shows. I'm for changing these laws so that the Copyright Period is 15 years, with ONE Extension for another 15 years allowed (At which time a Studio MUST License that product to a third-party Vendor). After that an item becomes Public Domain. What do all of you think?

SterlingBen 05-10-12 10:52 AM

And just like before, pirates will never see this warning, only people who bought the disc.

mike07 05-10-12 11:25 AM

They need to enforce a copyright warning on movies while they're in the theaters, IMO. And I don't mean a "Turn off All Cell Phones" message that some theaters put on before playing the movie, lol Why should the law abiding citizens who actually LEGALLY buy the movies be punished for doing so? At least allow us the capability of skipping over them.

yoshimi 05-10-12 11:29 AM

Wait until the start putting "this scene was brought to you by __________" before each scene during the movie.

TomOpus 05-10-12 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by yoshimi (Post 11226633)
Wait until the start putting "this scene was brought to you by __________" before each scene during the movie.

With product placement, they kinda do.

junglalien 05-11-12 04:32 AM

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4032/...90464b27_o.jpg

TerryW 05-11-12 06:48 AM

It's really not that difficult to deal with all this stuff before the films start. Pop the disc in and hit the mute button then go do something else for five minutes like check you e-mail. When you get back, your disc should be waiting in menu mode. Sometimes it will auto-start the film but you can easily go back from there by chapter on your remote.

It's the same with commercials on video clips. Just mute it until it's over. They can't force us to watch their crap. We can always find a way to win.

If I want to see an ad, I'll go to YouTube and track it down. The more ads are shoved down my face, the more I'm gonna boycott their product.

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 05-11-12 10:39 AM

Nearly every movie in my collection of over 14,000 movies let's me skip trailers one way or another. Sitting a few seconds through an FBI warning is hardly as bad as some make it out to be.

brayzie 05-11-12 11:42 AM

That image of all the previews is pretty darn accurate.

I remember first buying DVDs, just a legal warning and then the menu. Recently after renting some dvd, it had unskippable, unfastforwardable commercials, ads and previews.

mike07 05-11-12 11:58 AM

What I especially hate is when they put the previews/copyright warnings AFTER the menu. I tend to insert the DVD then go pop some popcorn and grab a cold beverage, giving time for the DVD to reach the menu to just hit play.

Mike86 05-12-12 01:51 PM

The warnings don't bother me so much it's more the unskippable trailers that annoy me. Luckily most don't do those now days.

Drexl 05-12-12 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by TerryW (Post 11227825)
It's really not that difficult to deal with all this stuff before the films start. Pop the disc in and hit the mute button then go do something else for five minutes like check you e-mail. When you get back, your disc should be waiting in menu mode. Sometimes it will auto-start the film but you can easily go back from there by chapter on your remote.

It's the same with commercials on video clips. Just mute it until it's over. They can't force us to watch their crap. We can always find a way to win.

If I want to see an ad, I'll go to YouTube and track it down. The more ads are shoved down my face, the more I'm gonna boycott their product.

Just wait until they start making these things interactive, like QTEs in videogames. With BD-J, they could set them up to each require a random key to be pressed to move on to the next one. You'd have to press the key within a time frame of a few seconds or the clip restarts.

I'm just glad I have the ability to, well, I can't talk about it here. I just hope they don't start adding these things to the film's title, I mean, in the same file like Criterion does with their logo.

Mabuse 05-15-12 04:09 PM

Why are these even put on videos? The law is the law. These warning screens don't need to be present to prosecute someone for violating copyright.

Criterion doesn't put any FBI warnings on any of their DVD's, so obviously you don't HAVE TO put these warning screens on.

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 05-15-12 05:21 PM

You get more people seeing the law, and learning it exists, from films more people watch.

rw2516 05-15-12 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mabuse (Post 11233624)
Why are these even put on videos?

To scare people.

Regulus 05-15-12 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by rw2516 (Post 11233722)
To scare people.

And they aren't doing it either. The ease in which someone can find bootleg materials is nothing short of incredible. I do not envy those who's jobs are to stop the distribution of pirated material. Their frustration levels must be equal to what Federal Agents had in the 1920s when Prohibition was in effect. Day after day they work their behinds off, make a few busts, only to have countless others take the place of those they arrested. It certainly has to be one of the most thankless jobs on the planet!

Boba Fett 05-16-12 03:17 AM

On some players, can't you bring up title search before most of this pops up, press 1 and hit enter?

dvdjunkie32 05-17-12 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by TerryW (Post 11227825)

I just hit the chapter skip button on my remote and it goes right past the previews. I don't see what the big deal is. Use the chapter select option if you can't stand to watch 5 seconds past the FBI warning.

LJG765 05-17-12 05:38 PM

Ah, but not every disc allows you to hit the chapter skip button. I have several that don't. A lot of those allow you to fast forward through the previews, but you still have to hit the button several times to get to the menu. I also have discs that don't allow fast forward, but most of those do allow chapter skip. I don't mind that so much as long as you are allowed to fast forward through them but by not being able to do so, you waste too much time.

I agree, it's worthless to preach to the choir. The people that see the warnings are not the ones that need them and are only being punished for a few people's crimes.